• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

I might buy this, looks wonderfully coloured and cute. I just hope the SP part ain't butchered because of the MP

Boney said:
technically I played some VC stuff on february. Last retail game i played was epic yarn actually

no love for Xenoblade?

Oh dear, another kirby, another angry cover exclusive to you american people. That speaks volumes about what the whole world thinks about your country.

j/k ;)

So far, Return to Dream Land looks far more promising than Epic Yarn. And it's another proof that Wii is the best system for platformer, period.

Takao said:
This comes out next week?

AHHHHHH
6jaEo.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
MYE said:
How was epic yarn? I can get it for cheap

Beautiful game, but a bit on the boring side. I usually enjoy the ease of some Kirby titles, but Epic Yarn just put me to sleep. Worth it for cheap, but I'm glad I didn't buy it for full price.

MYE said:

I loved Epic Yarn, have no idea if you can snag it for cheap but probably not.

Anyway, can't wait for this! Been anticipating a real Kirby for ages now. I expect a great OST too.

MYE said:

One of the most purely enjoyable experiences I've played this gen. On the easy side, but what Kirby game isn't? Then again, trying to 100% the game is an exercise in FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

sfog

Brandon F said:
Wow, is this the first worthwhile Wii release for NA in 2011?

Would De Blob 2, Bit.Trip Complete, and Trackmania: Build to Race count? Those are the only 2011 Wii games I've bought so far...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MYE said:
I found it pretty dull. The art is nice, the music is good, but the game is just too slow paced. It is like playing a Mario game and only walking the entire game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kirby's still angry in North America, I see. LOL. I think I might pick this up next week! So many platformers coming out.

MYE said:
I loved it; it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. If you can look past its easier difficulty and slower pace, and lose yourself in the artstyle and the awesome, awesome music, you'll probably enjoy it too.

It's not a stressful game at all; it's really mellow... and I kind of liked picking it up and playing it after long days for it to act as a destressor.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii Play Motion is decent.

I've only bought three Wii games from 2011 and one of them was from Europe. Rune Factory isn't terrible though.

thebeeks said:
Can't wait for this game. How long has it been since there's been a Kirby game about copying powers? Squeak Squad?
Not counting the Super Star remake, Squeak Squad was the last one, and that was back in 2006.

Teknoman

Drkirby said:
I found it pretty dull. The art is nice, the music is good, but the game is just too slow paced. It is like playing a Mario game and only walking the entire game.

My thoughts exactly. And while Kirby isnt that hard, it usually presents something of a moderate challenge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Watch Da Birdie said:
I dunno, I think that it might be some major plot-related elements that will totally shake up the Kirby series time-line.

KuGsj.gif

Dedede murders Metaknight in cold blood. I could see that pissing some fans off.

JazzmanZ

Watch Da Birdie said:
I dunno, I think that it might be some major plot-related elements that will totally shake up the Kirby series time-line.

Darkmatter, Nightmare, O2, Drawclia and that dude from the amazing mirror take over dreamland.

sfog

Andrex said:
On another note, looks like the game is rather short. :(

I don't know, 6 hours or so seems pretty typical for a console Kirby game without going for 100%. It took me only about 7 or 8 to get through Epic Yarn the first time (minus the side missions, but with most music, gold medals, and collectibles and all extra levels), and I ran through it later in about half that time (less extras) after learning the levels.

It's not like the older games were extremely long either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sfog said:
I don't know, 6 hours or so seems pretty typical for a console Kirby game without going for 100%. It took me only about 7 or 8 to get through Epic Yarn the first time (minus the side missions, but with most music, gold medals, and collectibles and all extra levels), and I ran through it later in about half that time (less extras) after learning the levels.

It's not like the older games were extremely long either.

I know, it's my biggest (only?) complaint with the older games (SuperStar's Great Cave in particular.) That doesn't excuse this game IMO. If NSMBWii can be meaty, then so can a Kirby game that's been in the oven 6 years. :p

Teknoman

udivision said:
This doesn't look like a game you should bother playing alone.

People said the same about New Mario Bros Wii and thats still tons of fun.

How do we know its short anyway?

Technically I could tell you what I'm going to give the game right now, but the catch is I'm not allowed to fully discuss why I think the game deserves that score.

That does sound like its going to get a 6 or lower for some reason...but I mean its from HAL so how can it not be fun?

Green Scar said:
Meta-Knight always has an angry face, kind of.

Also, I'm disappointed that the 4P character is Waddle Dee. Why not Adeline? Paint Roller? Ricky?!?
I agree, that is just about the only thing that I'm disappointed about -- why a Waddle Dee, and not any of the more interesting characters, like Adeline (playable in Kirby 64 minigames), Gooey, Rick, Kine, or Coo, etc... oh well.

Green said:
Yes! Gooey would work great too. And I know about Waddle Dee in 64, but still. It's like playing as a Toad in SMB. Oh...
... I'm still kind of annoyed at Nintendo for putting TWO Toads in that game. So lazy... at least this game has four different characters!

On that note, last I checked, Rayman Origins was doing the same thing pretty much, which is also unfortunate.

But yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to Kirby: Return to Dreamland. It's been a long time coming...

Berordn

A Black Falcon said:
I agree, that is just about the only thing that I'm disappointed about -- why a Waddle Dee, and not any of the more interesting characters, like Adeline (playable in Kirby 64 minigames), Gooey, Rick, Kine, or Coo, etc... oh well.
It's a specific Waddle Dee though, unlike the Toads. Hence the bandanna and unwavering loyalty to Dedede. His second in command, or something. (He's the only character Dedede's shown any real concern for as well.)

Top Bottom