• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

Mr. Robot

@MUWANdo said:
I just read another review (I think it was at gamexplain?) that mentioned there was an unlockable mode that they couldn't talk about but that it'd make fans of Super Star very happy.

more storylines? boss challenge? block breaking? samurai duels?

By god! how i loved samurai dueling,

Kard8p3

Tagg9 said:
That IGN author sounds really down. Either the game is a big disappointment, or his dog just died.

I follow him on twitter and he does seem down lately so I doubt it has to do with the game.

Yuterald

I think this game looks amazing. I am going to save it and hopefully pick it up on Zelda Skyward day though. Playing this and Zelda at the same time will be glorious. Plus, I'll be done with my internship and graduating from college so it'll feel more satisfying. Can't wait!

Green Scar said:
Meta-Knight always has an angry face, kind of.

Also, I'm disappointed that the 4P character is Waddle Dee. Why not Adeline? Paint Roller? Ricky?!?

Same reason for two Toads instead of Toad and, I dunno, Daisy or someone else in NSMBW: filler.

Mr. Robot said:
more storylines? boss challenge? block breaking? samurai duels?

By god! how i loved samurai dueling,
There seems to be mini-games, like a ninja star throwing game.
Tfe9I.jpg

Apparently you can unlock them from getting pieces of the ship in the main game. What the other mini-games are I have no clue.

Berordn said:
It's a specific Waddle Dee though, unlike the Toads. Hence the bandanna and unwavering loyalty to Dedede. His second in command, or something. (He's the only character Dedede's shown any real concern for as well.)
True, but still, it is somewhat disappointing that those more interesting characters weren't included. Oh well. As I said, at least it has four different characters...

Chet Rippo said:
Tfe9I.jpg

Apparently you can unlock them from getting pieces of the ship in the main game. What the other mini-games are I have no clue.
Hundred Yard Hop was one of the most addictive minigames ever.

M-PG71C

Man, fuck you haters (jk lol), I loved Epic Yarn. One of the single most enjoyable experiences in my gaming life. It was fresh. Easy, absolutely, and I did get a 100% on it but enjoyable.

Anyway, I bought Mass Attack and I will buy this. I love meh Kirby. And besides Xenoblade (damn you NOA) and Zelda, this is the only other noteworthy release this year. Damn fine one but man, the drought was pretty harsh.

udivision

Chet Rippo said:
Tfe9I.jpg

Copy Ninja Kakirby confirmed?

Electivirus said:
Fireworks > Exploding ninja stars >>>>>>>>> everything else
I don't know, the fridge was pretty awesome.

As for the game as a whole though, I thought Kirby 64 was okay, but somewhat disappointing. One of the worst things about Kirby 64, was that you didn't have infinite flight. Kirby with limited flight, in a platformer? That was so, so stupid... I did like the 64 different powers, though, that was cool. (I think it was 64?)

Chet Rippo said:
Hell yeah it was!
So addictive... it's kind of amazing that something so simple could be so good, but it really was. That falling-fruit-collecting minigame wasn't too good, but the other two were great and really made up for it, Hundred Yard Hop especially.

Aw, you never needed to fly that long in Kirby 64.

Also, don't forget Bear Trap Kirby! And Drill Kirby. Sculpture Kirby and Figure Skating Kirby were also fun for a little bit.

And Nuclear Winter Post-Apocalyptic Earth Star.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just wish Kirby moved faster in Dreamland 3 and 64. He feels so sluggish in both of them compared to Adventure and Super Star.

Drkirby said:
I just wish Kirby moved faster in Dreamland 3 and 64. He feels so sluggish in both of them compared to Adventure and Super Star.
That's true, that definitely was an issue in both of those games, versus the rest of the series. At least you can fly for as long as you want in Dreamland 3, though... and it has co-op too.

The Awesomest said:
Aw, you never needed to fly that long in Kirby 64.
You've never needed to fly for that long in any of the Kirby games, but if that's your defense, you are missing the point... flying in Kirby games is fun. It's great to be able to float over the stages if you wish. Kirby 64 restricting that was definitely one of its biggest mistakes, along with the slow pace it inherited from Kirby 3. I went into Kirby 64 hoping for it to be a great game and the system's best 2d/2.5d platformer, but I was disappointed, and it wasn't. It's good, probably, but not great.

Anyway, I'm really hoping this one will be good...

sfried

Drkirby said:
DL3 Kirby was more methodical. 64's was because of 30fps frame cap, which was wierd considering the cutscenes were all in 60fps.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Still waiting for my all kirby fighting game.

Sinthetic

After putting in loads of hours on Mass Attack, I think I'm all Kirby'd out. I'll see if reviews can sway me. Doubt it though.

PokéKong

There are kinda two lines of Kirby games. The "Dreamland" series, including 1 through 3 and Crystal Shards, where generally the graphics are soft and feature pastels, Kirby moves slower, the ally animals are featured and can combine with Kirby to modify abilities, you collect 30 star pieces to get a 1up, all the copy abilities are based on simple elements and minimalist concepts like "Fire" and "Spike", and there is often an artistically abstract and disturbing end boss. Then the "Adventure" series including Superstar, Amazing Mirror, and Squeak Squad, with their more "edgy" and sharp sprites, fast-paced actions and movement, the copy abilities are mostly based on archetypes in fiction and original designs such as Fighter, Mirror Mage, and Yo-Yo, and Kirby's only friends happen to be himself, the Helpers he spawns, and his enemies.

Despite this game having Dreamland in the title, it seems to veer more towards the Adventure style. The style of the playable characters and the set of abilities suggest Adventure, yet a lot of the enemies and the story parts remind me of Crystal Shards so I can't quite put my finger on it.

PokéKong said:
There are kinda two lines of Kirby games. The "Dreamland" series, including 1 through 3 and Crystal Shards, where generally the graphics are soft and feature pastels, Kirby moves slower, the ally animals are featured and can combine with Kirby to modify abilities, you collect 30 star pieces to get a 1up, all the copy abilities are based on simple elements and minimalist concepts like "Fire" and "Spike", and there is often an artistically abstract and disturbing end boss. Then the "Adventure" series including Superstar, Amazing Mirror, and Squeak Squad, with their more "edgy" and sharp sprites, fast-paced actions and movement, the copy abilities are mostly based on archetypes in fiction and original designs such as Fighter, Mirror Mage, and Yo-Yo, and Kirby's only friends happen to be himself, the Helpers he spawns, and his enemies.

Despite this game having Dreamland in the title, it seems to veer more towards the Adventure style. The style of the playable characters and the set of abilities suggest Adventure, yet a lot of the enemies and the story parts remind me of Crystal Shards so I can't quite put my finger on it.
What? I've never thought of 1 or 2 as being slow paced, they're not at all like 3 or 64 in that regard...

A Black Falcon said:
You've never needed to fly for that long in any of the Kirby games, but if that's your defense, you are missing the point... flying in Kirby games is fun. It's great to be able to float over the stages if you wish. Kirby 64 restricting that was definitely one of its biggest mistakes, along with the slow pace it inherited from Kirby 3. I went into Kirby 64 hoping for it to be a great game and the system's best 2d/2.5d platformer, but I was disappointed, and it wasn't. It's good, probably, but not great.

That's a really weird thing to complain about.

But yeah, 64 and DL3 are in the lower tier of Kirby games along with Squeak Squad.

Foffy

Banned
@MUWANdo said:
I just read another review (I think it was at gamexplain?) that mentioned there was an unlockable mode that they couldn't talk about but that it'd make fans of Super Star very happy.

HAL has a knack for that. The minigames in Mass Attack seem like a strong homage to Super Star in the way they're designed. They're also packed with fanservice, referencing the anime and even the cancelled Gamecube platformer.

I saw a TV commercial for this game was very, very surprised as to how good and absolutely delightful it looked. I wasn't planning on being interested, but if impressions are positive I might just have to consider it.

GhaleonQ

I kind of post the same thing about Kirby these days, but it's true.

The Kirby Of The Star series has had 1 of the most satisfying late-career renaissances in gaming, right? I liked the 1997-2004 iterations more than most, but the DS/Wii games have been spectacular. While I'm glad it's 1 of the few outsourcing successes, it's nice to see the original creator (er, his old company at least) back.

TreIII

Halycon said:
Still waiting for my all kirby fighting game.

Kirby could definitely pull such a thing off. But I doubt such a thing would ever happen, because Ninty wouldn't likely want something to directly compete with Smash.

I wanted to get hyped for this game, but I really wasn't feeling it at first. I just got my Kirby fix with Mass Attack, which inherently has more charm due to the sprites and animations as well as innovative gameplay.

The early videos of this made it look too much like Kirby's Adventure with a multiplayer that I have no use for and super-moves that just serve to destroy everything on the stage. I know it's of that traditional series, but I was hoping for some more spice.

The new videos though are doing a lot to shatter my sense of apathy. The auto-scrolling levels look like they might add some challenge; the surfing power up; the fact that leaf Kirby can apparently collapse into a pile of leaves for some reason; some kind of rainbow forcefield that Kirby is holding; and of course a giant spiked Kuribo's shoe.

Top Bottom