• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

Teknoman

MDX said:
LPvML.png
YpwK5.jpg
argdk.jpg

Its just astonishing that products sold to US consumers, in this case kids, have to have some kind of violent/warlike angle to it to have any value.

Maybe, but sword Kirby looks awesome.

Why would you do that? said:
So I haven't really been following this game. I'm still surprised it's coming out tomorrow. The 10/10 solidified my decision to Day 1 purchase, as opposed to waiting. So happy I can easily go into this game spoiler free, unlike Skyward Sword. :p

Q:
Is it shipping tomorrow, or will it actually be in stores tomorrow? If the former, then I'll hopefully pick it up at Nintendo World.
Well, I haven't gotten a call from GameStop yet, so I'm assuming that it just be shipping tomorrow, ala Nintendo's other two recent "Monday" releases (Professor Layton & the Last Specter and Kirby Mass Attack).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MDX said:
http://i.imgur.com/LPvML.png[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YpwK5.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/argdk.jpg[IMG]

Its just astonishing that products sold to US consumers, in this case kids, have to have some kind of violent/warlike angle to it to have any value.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Kirby gets angry whenever he uses a Super Move or whatever in-game, and that's what he's got on the American cover.

ShironRedshift said:
Well, I haven't gotten a call from GameStop yet, so I'm assuming that it just be shipping tomorrow, ala Nintendo's other two recent "Monday" releases (Professor Layton & the Last Specter and Kirby Mass Attack).
Teknoman said:
I think it ships tomorrow since Amazon two day shipping says I wont have it till Thursday.
Ah, that sucks, but thanks. I guess waiting an extra day isn't a bad thing...

I think Japan's background art with American character art would look the best.

Anyway, just ordered it on Amazon since I had a $10 gift card from a survey site. So $39.99 whoo...

Although I couldn't use my Amazon points right now because the service is down, so couldn't take $16.26 in addition off.

Can't wait to get it :)

Kard8p3

The guy reviewing this for IGN said it would be best to read the review instead of paying attention to the score. I'm guessing he'll give it a kind of low score but likely still recommend it.

Kard8p3 said:
The guy reviewing this for IGN said it would be best to read the review instead of paying attention to the score. I'm guessing he'll give it a kind of low score but likely still recommend it.
I already can imagine it, an 8 or something, saying it's a great classic game, but perhaps too classical. And these can hardly have a 9 or more, because you know, a 2D platform is synonymous of laziness these days.

As I did successfully with Mass Attack and Professor Layton, anyone looking to pick this up tomorrow should attempt their local Best Buy sometime after 3 PM. Best Buy has been very reliable when it comes to Nintendo games as of late.

Teknoman

IGN:

6.5 Presentation
Pretty basic stuff here, but the extra modes and games are a plus.

7.0 Graphics
This is actually a GameCube game. Seldom impressive, though Super Abilities are cool.

6.5 Sound
Again, nothing exceptional.

8.0 Gameplay
Tried and true, though there's nothing wrong with that. Great with friends, kids.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
New and extra modes - there's plenty to unlock, plus multiplayer fun.

Imo no Kirby title should get anything below at least an 8 for sound. The soundtracks are amazingly catchy and even breathtaking at times. Just listening to the first stage and the intro theme were enough for me to know RTD is going to have lots of great tracks.

Graphics should've at least been an 8.

stalker

The basic point of the IGN review is that the title is only challenging for kids one fifth the age of the reviewer and that the game does not innovate like Mass Attack or Epic Yarn did.

Sounds like a perfect Kirby game to me!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The score for graphics would have been better if he phrased it like "simple but functional". Not all games need to push bleeding edge effects since it will detract from the art style. As most know art style is in the end more important but since that is so subjective its easier just to score how many polygons are being pushed. How he wrote makes it out that GameCube graphics can't be impressive. But as we all know numbers are meaningless since "average" swings from five to seven depending on the reviewers fancy.

Also why did his list get cut off at least one item too soon? Friends, kids and what else?

Teknoman said:
IGN:

6.5 Presentation
Pretty basic stuff here, but the extra modes and games are a plus.

7.0 Graphics
This is actually a GameCube game. Seldom impressive, though Super Abilities are cool.

6.5 Sound
Again, nothing exceptional.

8.0 Gameplay
Tried and true, though there's nothing wrong with that. Great with friends, kids.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
New and extra modes - there's plenty to unlock, plus multiplayer fun.

Awesome, I've been wanting something to play on my Gamecube!

Does this guy think they just ported it over and let it sit for five years?

udivision

ShineALight said:
Awesome, I've been wanting something to play on my Gamecube!

Does this guy think they just ported it over and let it sit for five years?
When you make a GC game, you can get away with not improving the graphics for the wii version. It's almost expected.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's IGN.

Hell, if people didn't know this was originally that Gamecube game, they'd not notice it.

FrostuTheNinja said:
It appears that the game has been delayed until next week in the states...
Not according to the press release that Nintendo put up on their press site today...
NINTENDO PROVES PINK IS POWERFUL WITH KIRBY'S RETURN TO DREAM LAND FOR WII

Nintendo Proves Pink is Powerful with Kirby's Return to Dream Land for Wii

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 24, 2011 – Nintendo's iconic Kirby™ character is known as one of the most talented heroes in the world of video games. In his latest console adventure, the mighty pink protagonist is unleashing some impressive new moves and abilities. Launching today exclusively for the Wii™ system, the Kirby's Return to Dream Land™ game lets players guide Kirby through a captivating series of side-scrolling worlds, as he inhales enemies to copy their abilities and battles through colorful environments in search of hidden items. What's more, the game introduces new Super Abilities that allow Kirby to obliterate enemies and obstacles like never before, as well as multiplayer options that let up to three additional friends jump in at any time and enjoy the platforming action together.

With a delightful storyline designed to please new and longtime fans of the Kirby franchise, Kirby's Return to Dream Land finds the heroic pink puff striving to help recover pieces of a spaceship that has crash-landed on Kirby's home planet of Popstar. When Kirby encounters foes, he can inhale them to absorb their abilities – wielding a lasso or swinging a sword, for example. Inhaling special enemies can also grant Kirby Super Abilities that let him wipe out vast landscapes or an entire screen's worth of enemies in one stroke, while a Super Inhale move allows him to spit out enemies or objects as giant projectiles. As many as three additional players can join in the fun, playing as differently colored Kirbys or as other favorite characters from the series: Meta Knight, King Dedede or Waddle Dee. (Additional controllers are required for multiplayer game play and are sold separately.)

"Kirby's Return to Dream Land is a must-play for new and experienced fans, and it's only available on the Wii console," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "As friends and family gather together this holiday season, they'll have a blast discovering Kirby's new Super Abilities and teaming up to defeat enemies."

Kirby and the other playable characters in Kirby's Return to Dream Land have their own unique abilities that can be combined in fun ways. Players can coordinate their actions into powerful team attacks, or they can make Kirby inhale and spit out other characters to knock down foes in battle. Players hold the Wii Remote™ controller sideways to control Kirby as he floats, swims, climbs and slides through a wide range of in-game environments – from lush forests to sandy beaches.

Kids are being encouraged to take inspiration from Kirby and come up with their own dream Super Ability they would use to help others. By visiting http://kirby.nintendo.com/returntodreamland/superabilities, they can download a special Kirby coloring sheet for illustrating and describing their Super Ability and send it to Nintendo. Some of these dream Super Abilities will be posted in a virtual gallery on the website. A companion site hosted by Scholastic at http://scholastic.com/stacks also invites fans to take a Kirby quiz to determine which Super Ability is best suited to their personality. These activities are part of a larger initiative to provide the Starlight Children's Foundation with Starlight Fun Center™ mobile entertainment units for hospitals across the United States.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land is offered at a suggested retail price of $49.99 in the United States. The Wii system is available separately in two different console bundles, each offered at a suggested retail price of $149.99 in the United States.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii.

For more information about Kirby's Return to Dream Land, visit http://kirby.nintendo.com/returntodreamland.

nincompoop said:
Not according to the press release that Nintendo put up on their press site today...

Well, Gamestop/EBgames changed the date, Amazon changed it to "ships in 2 to 4 weeks", Best Buy has it labeled as back ordered...

I wonder what happened.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, are people really getting bent out of shape about the IGN score? I mean, this appears to me from all media to be a Kirby outing similar to Squeak Squad, which is to say pure vanilla Kirby tradition. Which is good, but 7.5-8 seems a good range to me. Were people expecting 9+?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The_Technomancer said:
Wow, are people really getting bent out of shape about the IGN score? I mean, this appears to me from all media to be a Kirby outing similar to Squeak Squad, which is to say pure vanilla Kirby tradition. Which is good, but 7.5-8 seems a good range to me. Were people expecting 9+?
Squeak Squad had bad level design and poor replay value.

CyReN

FrostuTheNinja said:
Well, Gamestop/EBgames changed the date, Amazon changed it to "ships in 2 to 4 weeks", Best Buy has it labeled as back ordered...

I wonder what happened.

If it's anything my copy says it will be here on Thursday but hasn't shipped yet.

Salaadin

This is the kind of game I dont even care to see reviews for. Its traditional Kirby. I love traditonal Kirby. Bring it on!

(>^.^)>

FrostuTheNinja said:

I wonder what happened.

Well amazon told me they are ready to ship and that i'd get it on thursday. (I had emailed to ask about a possible delay due to the same happening for Layton and Mass attack for me) .

BY2K

Membero Americo
The_Technomancer said:

I certainly wasn't expected a 10 from Destructoid, that's for sure.

Hiltz

This game is getting some mixed reviews. Some reviewers are calling the graphics GameCube quality and the sound unimpressive while others are praising the clean simplistic visual style and claim the music is excellent despite being mostly original and a bit underwhelming at first. Which is it?!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hiltz said:
This game is getting some mixed reviews. Some reviewers are calling the graphics GameCube quality and the sound unimpressive while others are praising the clean simplistic visual style and claim the music is excellent despite being mostly original and a bit underwhelming at first. Which is it?!
Its Kirby!

Top Bottom