• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

Kazerei

Banned
ccbfan said:
Anyone know if there's some bullcrap tacked on waggle in this.

Yes, the super inhale move is done by shaking the controller. Super inhale has a larger range and can suck in larger objects.

Kazerei said:
Yes, the super inhale move is done by shaking the controller. Super inhale has a larger range and can suck in larger objects.

True, but you can also do that move by rotating the directional pad.

Mr. Robot

ccbfan said:
Anyone know if there's some bullcrap tacked on waggle in this. I probably won't buy this until a no waggle hack appears.

It turned NSMB Wii from the greatest Mario game ever (Loved the level design, hated the controls) to being a complete chore to finish. Only mario game i only 100% once (Heck only 2d one I haven't done at least 5 times) and if not for being a Mario game I would have given up on it because of the crappy controls

I almost didn't finish DKCR because I got so sick of the waggle especially since it as essential as the jump button in this. Luckily someone showed me a way to use Classic controller for it. Made the game great.

WTH? i can see how it was annoying to use it in DKCR when trying to roll jump or just roll, but in NSMBW it was so natural the way the waggle worked.

Mr. Robot said:
WTH? i can see how it was annoying to use it in DKCR when trying to roll jump or just roll, but in NSMBW it was so natural the way the waggle worked.
You have to understand, ccbfan has this weird fetish where he can only play games while wearing a full suit of medieval armor, which makes shaking the controller very difficult for him. At least that's the only explanation I can think of.

I'm interested in getting this and inviting two friends over to play it. It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

What's the difficulty on this? Is it easy, MP-wise?

TDLink

Ultimoo said:
it's out in canada I think, and gamestop has a deal where you can buy this kirby game and get epic yarn for only 10 more dollars. :p

Wait, as in Return to Dream Land + Epic Yarn for $60 total?

Teknoman

RPG_Fanatic said:

Super inhale plus shaking just seems to make sense imo. Kirby's shaking his arms to put in extra effort or something. DKCR not so much...but NSMB Wii's motions all made sense.

TDLink

Ultimoo said:
yes, in canada at least. that's what I did today! it's on the ebgames.ca website too.

I'm in downtown Montreal and the nearest EB is kind of far. I wonder if I can get Future Shop to price match. Great deal either way.

ccbfan

nincompoop said:
You have to understand, ccbfan has this weird fetish where he can only play games while wearing a full suit of medieval armor, which makes shaking the controller very difficult for him. At least that's the only explanation I can think of.

3 Reasons why I hated waggle in NSMB Wii.

1. I like to play video games lying down in bed with my arms under the blanket.

2. I must make movements when I play cause somethings I waggle by accident.

3. I can't waggle with 2 hands. No idea why but its extremely uncomfortable so I actually had to let got of the control pad and waggle with my right hand. My need to one hand waggle might be because of my addiction to SMG. 242 stars both like 3 times. So got used to the whole motion. (Actually I don't think any other Wii game I've played have two hand waggles)

ccbfan said:
3 Reasons why I hated waggle in NSMB Wii.

1. I like to play video games lying down in bed with my arms under the blanket.

2. I must make movements when I play cause somethings I waggle by accident.

3. I can't waggle with 2 hands. No idea why but its extremely uncomfortable so I actually had to let got of the control pad and waggle with my right hand. My need to one hand waggle might be because of my addiction to SMG. 242 stars both like 3 times. So got used to the whole motion. (Actually I don't think any other Wii game I've played have two hand waggles)
Both DKC Returns and NSMB Wii can be played with Wiimote + Nunchuk controls, so that eliminates your 3rd complaint. Your 2nd complaint seems to contradict your 3rd complaint and your 1st complaint seems like a bizarre personal preference.

ccbfan

nincompoop said:
Both DKC Returns and NSMB Wii can be played with Wiimote + Nunchuk controls, so that eliminates your 3rd complaint. Your 2nd complaint seems to contradict your 3rd complaint and your 1st complaint seems like a bizarre personal preference.

Tried the nunchuck way. Only if there was a d-pad nunchuck attachment. (Wonder why no one ever made this). Also using the remote trigger so frequently (I pretty much always hold down the run button when I play mario games) is not super comfortable.

Also its not that I can't waggle with two hands. I just couldn't do it well with two hands. It just never became natural to me and was uncomfortable (5 sparkling stared the game, so don't say I didn't pay it enough)

Isn't personal preference why there's control configs to start with? No reason to not have a CC controller mode when freakin homebrew hacks were able to achieve it.

Ryn

oh shit this is out already? AGH!

Right in the middle of me playing Dark Souls and Uncharted 3 coming out soon :eek:

Hylian7

Picked this up today at my local Best Buy. Am I the only one in here that has it right now?

Really liking the game so far. The powers are very much like Super Star (very good thing!) and the returning ones each have at least one new move added to them! The Super powers had me kind of iffy at first, but they started doing smarter things with them, such as in World 4 (I won't spoil it).

The new powers are great too! I'm really liking Spear (
I fucking LOVE the Spear helicopter move!
) and Water. I tried a few of the challenge and ability rooms. They were really cool. I do hope there is some kind of "The True Arena" type of mode though, like there was in Super Star. Doing that co-op in this game would be a lot of fun.

I played a bit of the co-op with my roommate. Maybe he wasn't doing right, but can you only pick your character if you join during the game? He joined on the world select screen first and it automatically put him as Meta Knight. Then he died in game, rejoined, and it let him pick, so he picked Kirby.

All in all, I still can't believe we are actually playing Kirby GCN, definitely worth the wait. The only issues I have are the jaggies and the music. The music is kind of.....eh. It's nothing really to write home about, which is kind of disappointing after Epic Yarn's awesome soundtrack. I did like little things like the Disc Channel music being the KDL theme, as well as the Float Islands theme remixed was cool.

Hylian7 said:
Picked this up today at my local Best Buy. Am I the only one in here that has it right now?
I got it earlier.
Man, this game is sweet. The new powers are fantastic, especially whip power. love grabbing items and enemies. The multiplayer is great. It's not as hectic as the multiplayer in NSMBW, but it can get it's own blend of crazy. I like to suck up my partners to use as projectiles, much to my brother's chagrin.
Oh and those who were wondering about Plasma power, Spark power is pretty much the same thing (charge up energy blast by rotating the d-pad) only the standard attack is defensive wave around you like how Spark worked in the Dream Land games
It was cool to see the animal buddies Rick, Coo, and Kine cameo as one of the many rock transformations. Too bad they're not actually in this game
Ookami-kun said:
Can you play this with GC controller for multiplayer?
No. Only Wii remotes.

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm not really big into Kirby but this excerpt from the IGN review kind of irks me:

If anything, Return to Dreamland is mostly disappointing because it doesn't really attempt to do anything we haven't seen before. Maybe games like Mass Attack, with its clever group-based gameplay, or Epic Yarn, with its bold visual style, have spoiled me, but I want to see Nintendo take risks with this franchise. I've seen Kirby as a typical platformer. Let him continue to be the canvas upon which talented designers can let their imaginations run wild.

Really? Is a classic series not allowed return to its roots every once and a while? Come on reviewer. The series has been experimenting for a while now, and will probably continue to try different things in the future. Knocking a game for going back to its roots is a pretty lame criticism especially when the series has been taking all those "risks' for years.

Platy

[edit]
RISKS ???
For a plataforming series that had Epic Yarn, Canvas Course and a GOLF game WHAT THE HELL DOES HE WANT ?

Blood and gore ? =P
[/edit]

Kazerei said:
Yeah, same reviewer too ... but with Epic Yarn, he said the lack of difficulty didn't bother him. *shrug*

2 options

1- Because Epic Yarn was the most gorgeous thing ever

2- Because he saw that
Shiggy said:
This game could've looked great:
maboroshi03.jpg

Planning to pick this gem up sometime this week. I've been given cash by my friend's parent for food, so that is of course, entering the Kirby funds.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Enk said:
I'm not really big into Kirby but this excerpt from the IGN review kind of irks me:

Really? Is a classic series not allowed return to its roots every once and a while? Come on reviewer. The series has been experimenting for a while now, and will probably continue to try different things in the future. Knocking a game for going back to its roots is a pretty lame criticism especially when the series has been taking all those "risks' for years.

Yeah, they took a risk with Epic Yarn and they got crushed for it by some reviewers. That's a dumb statement to make by the reviewer.

Just ordered it (and Epic Yarn, ebgames Canada ftw!). Can't wait to play it them!

I work at Walmart and from what I know, we won't get the game before some times. Weird.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AlexMeloche said:
Just ordered it (and Epic Yarn, ebgames Canada ftw!). Can't wait to play it them!

I work at Walmart and from what I know, we won't get the game before some times. Weird.

So you mean, WalMart won't have it before their $39.98 sale expires. :/

EvilMario said:
So you mean, WalMart won't have it before their $39.98 sale expires. :/

I guess so. We were supposed to receive them last week, but never got them. Which is pretty weird because while it happenes quite often with other publishers (the same thing happened to Dead Island or Driver, we got them like 2 weeks too late), Nintendo never miss a release date.

Hiltz

Are the graphics any good? Been kind of hard to tell based on the trailers and screen shots which seem to make it look a bit band.

Called Best Buy and Wal-mart, don't have it. Went to Target and Gamestop, target should get it after 5, Gamestop said it was overnight-ed and should have already been there.

I'll try again this afternoon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I see a very few select Futureshops / Best Buys have it in and around Toronto. No stock for HMV. And I'm not going to waste time heading out to Wal-Mart until later this week when they'll hopefully have it.

Hiltz said:
Are the graphics any good? Been kind of hard to tell based on the trailers and screen shots which seem to make it look a bit band.
I think it looks pretty good, not mind-blowing, but good. The animations are fantastic though.

Yuterald

This game looks like so much fun. I wish I could day one this game like I have with pretty much every other Kirby game recently, but I'm broke! Will most likely pick this up when I get Zelda so I can enter my usual Nintendo gaming bliss phase.

TDLink

EvilMario said:
For those in Toronto, Zellers at Dundas West Station has it in; $44.99.

Just looked it up, all the Zellers in Montreal also have it for $44.99 new. I am guessing this is country-wide for Zellers. I wonder why this game is getting all these discount deals, not that I'm complaining.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TDLink said:
Just looked it up, all the Zellers in Montreal also have it for $44.99 new. I am guessing this is country-wide for Zellers. I wonder why this game is getting all these discount deals, not that I'm complaining.

Personally I'm going to wait for Wal-Mart ($39.99) to have it in stock this week. If they don't manage to get any copies, I'll just wait because I haven't even finished Mass Attack and there are a slew of other games coming out. And I can't afford them all for full price. ;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Got my copy from EB in the GTA. I won't pop it in until a bit later though. Gonna take a nap first, then Return to Dream Land. :)

It's too bad I had a copy of Epic Yarn, though. That Epic Yarn + Dream Land for $60 (at EBs in Canada / gamestop.ca) is a really nice deal. Man, these next few weeks are going to be loaded with platformers. I'm psyched.

Just picked up my copy at my local Gamestop here in Warren, MI (the 12 & Van Dyke location). I first tried to pick it up at around 11:30 today, but they were really getting swamped with people picking up their Battlefield 3 orders and hadn't had time yet to open the shipment of stuff they got from Nintendo today, so they told me to come back in a bit when hopefully they wouldn't be so busy. But the manager told me he'd personally call me when they did get a chance and had it ready to go, which he did at around 3:00. I walked right in and he had both this and my pre-order of Pokemon Rumble Blast ready and waiting for me when I walked in and apologized profusely for making me wait at all, but I was totally understanding when I realized what was going on (it had slipped my mind in the morning that today was Battlefield 3 launch today).

CyReN

ShironRedshift said:
Just picked up my copy at my local Gamestop here in Warren, MI (the 12 & Van Dyke location). I first tried to pick it up at around 11:30 today, but they were really getting swamped with people picking up their Battlefield 3 orders and hadn't had time yet to open the shipment of stuff they got from Nintendo today, so they told me to come back in a bit when hopefully they wouldn't be so busy. But the manager told me he'd personally call me when they did get a chance and had it ready to go, which he did at around 3:00. I walked right in and he had both this and my pre-order of Pokemon Rumble Blast ready and waiting for me when I walked in and apologized profusely for making me wait at all, but I was totally understanding when I realized what was going on (it had slipped my mind in the morning that today was Battlefield 3 launch today).

Glad to hear.

(from Livonia) Gamestop near me in Farmington Hills didn't have any of this morning, maybe this afternoon. Glad I didn't cancel my Amazon order.

SykoTech

RPG_Fanatic said:

:O

Very good news. Is that the only move that requires waggle crap then? If so, and it can be bypassed, then thumbs up Nintendo. Rotating the D-pad doesn't sound like the most coventional method either, but it's better than nothing.

No G-Cube support still sucks though.

Jzero

My GameStop actually had it. Only had time to play the first four stages and it's pretty good so far, like epic yarn but better. It definitely is very easy though, not that i mind. Getting a lot of nostalgia from this game :)

I keep wanting to absorb two enemies like i did in Crystal shards though :p

Top Bottom