• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

I ordered it just the other day and apparently Amazon is now out of stock and it says "2 to 4 weeks" O-O;

Update: Seems to be back in stock.

Amazon is having some strange issues lately...

I really like the music in this game. So happy and cheery.
Glad to see King Dedede's theme appear even though you don't fight him. love that theme.

English Iwata Asks emerged: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/kirby-dream-land/0/0

-The Producer, Shigefumi Kawase, was originally the head of Jack and Beans, the Nintendo/HAL group which made Pokemon Snap.
-They had been making a new console Kirby since Kirby 64 - 11 YEARS!
-The first failed Kirby: The one we saw at E3. Prepped for 2003 release originally. They stopped because they were having trouble combining single and multiplayer elements.
-The second failed Kirby: The full 3D adventure. It was cancelled due to quality concerns.
-The third failed Kirby: the pop-up book design with renewed copy abilities. Hard to say what cancelled this one.
-Shinya Kumazaki, the Director, has been involved with Kirby Canvas Curse and Kirby Super Star Ultra. He also worked on the 3DS software (Probably Face Raiders).
-Kumazaki has only been with HAL 10 years, so this is his first console Kirby game.
-Hiroaki Nakano, Lead Programmer, said that 4-player coop was hard to implement.
-Iwata said that the Copy Abilities were terribly complicated back on Kirby's Adventure.
-Tadashi Kamitake, the Lead Designer, started with Kirby in Kirby Super Star Ultra (man, this team is young).
-Kamitake witnessed all three failures, especially sad about the third.
-October 2010 is when the game went into full gear.
-The team made an in-house development website, like a dev diary.

And that's only from the first two segments. Lots of insight here.

Teknoman

CyReN said:
Officially shipped from Amazon.

MidnightScott said:
I ordered it just the other day and apparently Amazon is now out of stock and it says "2 to 4 weeks" O-O;

Update: Seems to be back in stock.

Amazon is having some strange issues lately...

Hmm mine still hasnt shipped, and I ordered Sept 30th... Supposed to arrive on the 27th.

I guess I can go ahead and finish Kirby Dreamland 3 in the meantime. Maybe snag 64 like i've been meaning to do.

I like it so far. My initial impression is that it's too slow, though. Dashing feels a little too cumbersome and slow for my taste. (But that's coming from someone whose favorite Kirby game is Kirby's Adventure.) But it's quite fun. Within the first two or three levels, I've played a couple of fun minibosses. (The series is known for being cute/easy, but it honestly has a lot of cool (mini)bosses scattered within.) I've also noticed at least 2 areas based off areas in the NES game, which I thought was neat.

While I don't care too much about this fact, I can easily see why I think IGN said it was obviously a Gamecube game. It still looks nice, though. I like how the cutscenes have a Valkyria Chronicles-like filter.

Both Gamestops in my area only got 2 extra copies (outside of preorders).

In the third world right now. Enjoying this as single player so much more than Epic Yarn (which basically became multiplayer only for me to enjoy it). Powerups can have upwards of eight different moves associated with them, and I haven't found any that aren't at least fun to try out. I've collected most of the gear-things so far, but there are a few I have been unable to get (I know where they are, but it doesn't seem like I can reach them with the powerups in the level). Waggle is used nicely, you can suck up certain heavy objects by shaking it. Doesn't feel intrusive. Its also used with some of the powerups but oftentimes it will also let you jam directions on the D-pad for the same effect (waggle actually feels better to use though).

Visually I think it looks great. Much more detailed than NSMBWii, probably closer to DKCR, really beautiful backgrounds. Music is nice too, I haven't found anything catchy enough to remember specifically, but its upbeat and bright.

Loving this so far. Was a last minute Day 1 but I feel good about it.
EDIT: Actually looks like you can suck up heavy objects with the dpad smash too, so it doesn't look like you need waggle at all in the core stages (dunno about minigames).

Why would you do that? said:
While I don't care too much about this fact, I can easily see why I think IGN said it was obviously a Gamecube game. It still looks nice, though. I like how the cutscenes have a Valkyria Chronicles-like filter.
I still don't get this, my Wii collection is small but outside of the SMG games, I don't feel like any of them couldn't have easily been Gamecube games (as far as visuals go). I don't see how this is obviously a GC game.

So is this going to be one of those where I have to collect everything in every level to actually beat the game like Mass Attack? No hating, I'm just curious...

Teknoman

I like it so far. My initial impression is that it's too slow, though. Dashing feels a little too cumbersome and slow for my taste. (But that's coming from someone whose favorite Kirby game is Kirby's Adventure.) But it's quite fun. Within the first two or three levels, I've played a couple of fun minibosses. (The series is known for being cute/easy, but it honestly has a lot of cool (mini)bosses scattered within.) I've also noticed at least 2 areas based off areas in the NES game, which I thought was neat.

I thought the "Kirby cool" style of bosses/certain areas and music was something known to most fans? Especially with stuff like Metaknight,O2, Galactaknight, etc.

Have you played Kirby 64, and if so, is the speed similar to it or faster?

King Boo

so i tried to get it today, and it was sold out at one of the gamestops. they only had 2 copies.
the other gamestop wouldn't sell it to me since i didn't reserve it.

the good news is that they'll get another shipment the next day so hopefully i can get the game. or else i'll just order it online...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Picked this up today, very fun but easy...I've beaten the first two worlds and have gotten all the gears in each, without having to replay any level. In this regard it's actually easier than Epic Yarn. :p

The Challenge Rooms are pretty fun, though, just completed the Sword one and despite the fact I thought I did great I only got a silver medal.

And I still haven't got all the Abilities yet, so I like how they spread them out. A very fun back-to-the-basics game overall.

Having a good time so far. Got 1/2 way into the 2nd world until I had to give up the TV, so I took some shots in the Dolphin emulator in 720p. It's very colorful, diverse, and gorgeous. The music's pretty nice, too. To me, the game feels sort of like a mix of Kirby Dream Land 3 and Kirby Super Star, and less like Kirby 64 to me.
Edag Plata said:
So is this going to be one of those where I have to collect everything in every level to actually beat the game like Mass Attack? No hating, I'm just curious...
It seems like it is.
You need to collect 120 gears to fix a crashed spaceship. Each level has 3 or 4 gears.
Luckily, it doesn't seem like finding the items will be an ordeal.

MvmntInGrn said:
I still don't get this, my Wii collection is small but outside of the SMG games, I don't feel like any of them couldn't have easily been Gamecube games (as far as visuals go). I don't see how this is obviously a GC game.
Don't get me wrong, the game is very good looking, but comparing this to something like DKC:Returns, this game looks like something that can be done on the GC IMO.

Teknoman said:
I thought the "Kirby cool" style of bosses/certain areas and music was something known to most fans? Especially with stuff like Metaknight,O2, Galactaknight, etc.

Have you played Kirby 64, and if so, is the speed similar to it or faster?
When I read about Kirby, I always see the words "cute" and "easy," but you're right.

I honestly haven't played Kirby 64 in a long time, but I seem to remember it being about the same speed as this new game, maybe a little faster.

The last boss battle song is really good.
After beating the game you unlock both EX adventure mode and the Arena.
Awesome!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chet Rippo said:
The last boss battle song is really good.
After beating the game you unlock both EX adventure mode and the Arena.
Awesome!

Is Dedede's theme in the game?

Instant 5.0/10 if not.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chet Rippo said:
Yeah, the music in this game is great.

I think I like Brawl's slightly better (definitive version), but it's a tough call between this one and Epic Yarn's... this one has a great intro, but Epic Yarn's was like... westernish... tough call.

It seems like it is.
You need to collect 120 gears to fix a crashed spaceship. Each level has 3 or 4 gears.
Luckily, it doesn't seem like finding the items will be an ordeal.

Yeah,
The gears is why I asked...but it looks like its just to open up challenge levels and mini games at this point.
I just like to know in advance if I should be collecting everything this way I don't have to worry about going back through the game a second time to collect things in a level. It's never as fun as the first time, especially when you can't find them. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like there is a quick fix build of Dolphin to make Kirby Playable:
http://blog.bagearon.com/

Since the site can be a bit iffy, here is the 64bit version rehosted if it isn't loading:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/Dolphin/dolphin-3.0-188-dirty-kirby-x64.rar

Works great, except I think Theatre Mode Crashes the game, but that alright. Just got my copy earlier today too.

Works great, 60FPS the bulk of the game, with a AMD Pheomn II 925 (2.8GHz Quad Core) and a GTX 460. Cut scenes are a bit choppy though, but 1080p Kirby Goodness.

Akainu

Andrex said:
Edit- Ah yes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oPnkd67DAQ

So goooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!
I hate this. I hate Kirby music lately. I don't know what it is. I just watched the gametrailers review and I kept thinking in the back of my head why does the music suck. Epic Yarn was the worst by far with it's boring ass snoozefest elevator music, but this isn't any better.

How is it that the gameboy version of king dedede's theme is still so much better than these other ones? It's crazy.

Drkirby said:
Looks like there is a quick fix build of Dolphin to make Kirby Playable:
http://blog.bagearon.com/

Since the site can be a bit iffy, here is the 64bit version rehosted if it isn't loading:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/Dolphin/dolphin-3.0-188-dirty-kirby-x64.rar

Works great, except I think Theatre Mode Crashes the game, but that alright. Just got my copy earlier today too.

Works great, 60FPS the bulk of the game, with a AMD Pheomn II 925 (2.8GHz Quad Core) and a GTX 460. Cut scenes are a bit choppy though, but 1080p Kirby Goodness.
Are the Valkyria-like cutscenes real-time, or pre-rendered? If the former, I'd love to see some HD screens if you don't mind.

This game is awesome. Have had a permanent smile on my face since I started it an hour ago. I keep trying to pull off Smash Bros moves, though.

Gravijah

Akainu said:
I hate this. I hate Kirby music lately. I don't know what it is. I just watched the gametrailers review and I kept thinking in the back of my head why does the music suck. Epic Yarn was the worst by far with it's boring ass snoozefest elevator music, but this isn't any better.

How is it that the gameboy version of king dedede's theme is still so much better than these other ones? It's crazy.

return to dream land has the best kirby soundtrack ever.

Aeana

Akainu said:

I am so sad. Big Bean Vine's music is so incredible.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are the Valkyria-like cutscenes real-time, or pre-rendered? If the former, I'd love to see some HD screens if you don't mind.
The look like they are real time. If no one else does it, I'll take a few shots.

EvilMario said:
Adventure finally dethroned?
Fixed. :p
And... from what I've heard, I'm actually surprised by it, and I like it better than Super Star and Dream Land 2, but not yet as good as Adventure IMO.

Drkirby said:
The look like they are real time. If no one else does it, I'll take a few shots.
Awesome, and thanks. :D

The Hermit

Akainu said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaCFzlapaU&feature=related

Sorry, can't hear you over how awesome this music is.

Gravijah

Shiggy said:
Kirby Epic's Yarn is absolutely gorgeous, but I can see why traditional Kirby fans don't like it. It's for the same reason I don't like traditional Kirby games :D

because you were born without a soul

Sciz

The music in this game strikes a halfway point between Super Star and Air Ride with splashes of what they picked up from Epic Yarn thrown in for variety.

Which is to say that it's all completely amazing.

You might not like every single track, and probably won't on account of there being a ridiculous amount of music across a bunch of different styles. But disliking all of it means you are entirely without love and joy in your bitter, shriveled heart.

I'm up to level 3-4 and everything so far has been great. I can't believe how many power ups there are and how each one is fun to use. Each power up has a nice list of moves and the game controls great. The visuals are good, but the soundtrack is incredible. I've only played co-op and have to say its better than NSMB. Love that if the co-op partner is having problems they can just ride on your back. With the variety of power ups, co-op, awesome soudtrack, and fun to play levels, this is a great game so far and if your a kirby fan pick it up.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just chiming in to say that Kirby's Adventure on the NES has indeed always been the best Kirby game, Super Star be damned. The second best one is actually Kirby's Pinball Land. Bet you didn't know that.

I will probably pick up this new game somewhere down the line, still.

Kilrogg said:
Just chiming in to say that Kirby's Adventure on the NES has indeed always been the best Kirby game, Super Star be damned. The second best one is actually Kirby's Pinball Land. Bet you didn't know that.

I've never played Kirby's Adventure, but I have Nightmare in Dream Land. Is it better? Or should I play the original?

Gravijah

MvmntInGrn said:
I've never played Kirby's Adventure, but I have Nightmare in Dream Land. Is it better? Or should I play the original?

from what i remember there isn't really much difference between them.

Neki

Kilrogg said:

this is so so wrong.

superstar or bust.

MvmntInGrn said:
I think the original's better (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If it helps, I also prefer the original Mario games over the Super Mario All-Stars versions.

Top Bottom