• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah, I love the Black and White levels. So awesome.

And for added "difficulty", if you lose to the boss you have to do the whole segment again instead of starting out at Sphere Doomer.

Teknoman

Just started, and wow the title screen intro brought a smile to my face. Dunno how people are down on the soundtrack, because so far its been great stuff (we've only made it through 1-3).

This game is pure bliss for Kirby fans. Just beat the 2nd boss and it's really giving me a nostalgia rush. Only problem is the problem all Kirby games have; too easy. I do like the challenges though since I will not stop until I get gold on them and it took me a few tries to get the 2nd one.

Teknoman

cosmicblizzard said:
This game is pure bliss for Kirby fans. Just beat the 2nd boss and it's really giving me a nostalgia rush. Only problem is the problem all Kirby games have; too easy. I do like the challenges though since I will not stop until I get gold on them and it took me a few tries to get the 2nd one.

Dont forget the other mode, which should be a decent challenge.

cosmicblizzard said:
The later worlds get kinda challenging, well, at least by Kirby standards.

Received the game the other day. If you like Kirby games a lot, you'll probably enjoy Kirby's Return to Dreamland a lot. Can't wait to play some more later!

fernoca

Under normal circumstances, I'll be getting this today (Saturday already :p).

Don't know much about the game, so ...only expecting "classic Kirby gameplay". :p

Ryuuga

Banned
Should games be allowed to be this much fun? Had a blast playing with my friend of mine two days in the past week. I absolutely love how they have a stronger focus on cooperative play, but I can see myself enjoying it just as much if I were to play solo (much more so than I ever did/will with Epic Yarn)

fernoca

Damn, just got it and it's so awesome. So... like the originals. XD

The only "disappointment" is that along with the recent Wii i manged t get and this game I also connected the Wii to an old/small CRT I already had (to avoid buying component cables for the LCD). It's 4:3 and the game is is widescreen, to there's black bars at the top/bottom.

But looks so darn great anyway, that don't care. Is like the original ones, but with a ton more stuff. To early to say it'll be my favorite Kirby game, since that honor still belongs to Super star on SNES; but at least is a great game.

Outtrigger888 said:
What's this other mode you speak of? Does it unlock after completing the game?
an extra hard mode is unlocked after beating the game.
The arena is also unlocked after you beat the game.

sfried

Watch Da Birdie said:
When you're Fighter Kirby, you can pull off a quick-fire Hadoken by doing the QCF motion. :0

I love that. :)
Wow. It's as if Sakurai was behind directing this game. So many easter eggs.

It's like they took the best aspects of the Shimomura-directed Kirby's and merged them with Sakurai-canon Kirby.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've finished the game, 93% though, even after completing the cogs. Does this mean the item challenges count for completion?

Just finished it will all the gears, haven't touched the side stuff yet.

Best last-minute-semi-blind-Day-1 purchase I've made in a long time. There isn't any frustration to have in this game, even when you do die. Its just too darn fun, colorful, and well designed to leave you angry.

Loved it. Or love it,
as I still have EX-Mode and Challenges to play through.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished this last night. That final boss theme was aweome, and also the
Galacta Knight
theme was fantastic. This game's music is such sweet goodness; it, coupled with the graphics, makes for a tremendous comfy atmosphere (especially when wrapped up in a fuzzy faux-wool blanket)! The powerups were excellent (Water, Spear, Fighter, etc) and fun to use. The level design was fantastic, both aesthetically and functionally (world 5, black and white levels, etc). It was an incredible joy to play, and I think it's the Kirby game that some people were waiting for. Like every other Kirby game, I can't help but to play this with a smile on my face (but everything about this game was so adorable!). :)

I ended up picking this up at the last minute (and didn't see a lot of media for it), but I'm very happy with my purchase.

How's co-op for this game? I might get my boyfriend to play a little bit with me when he isn't too busy.

Ookami-kun said:
I've finished the game, 93% though, even after completing the cogs. Does this mean the item challenges count for completion?
Yep, you don't have to get gold or anything, but the challenges are fun, especially the last one.
Aeana said:
Guys.

You guys.

This game is awesome.
It is.
Dark Schala said:
How's co-op for this game? I might get my boyfriend to play a little bit with me when he isn't too busy.
It's great. My only gripe would be that if Kirby dies, you have to start back at the beginning of the room unlike how if Mario dies in NSMBW. Of course, that usually never happens. hahaha

fernoca

My Kirby always does the "dance of shame" at the end, since I suck at pressing 2 ..so he dances with a disappointed face.

Any tips? :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stop being so crappy at timing.

I can see why they called it Kirby's New Adventure in Europe, some of the atheistics feel very Adventure like.

M-PG71C

Man do I love Epic Yarn, or anything made by GOOD-FEEL lately. It's not so much the difficulty as its just pure fun and the single most relaxing game ever created.

If you can't smile while playing Epic Yarn, you have no soul. :p

I got this game but haven't had a chance to pop it in yet, I'm sure I'm going to be in for a treat. A retro-fitted Kirby indeed.

EDIT: And if we're going to talk music, Sweet's Park in Epic Yarn has the best song among them all damnit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZFDE1W11E

fernoca

Drkirby said:

I can see why they called it Kirby's New Adventure in Europe, some of the atheistics feel very Adventure like.
I always press 2 when it says so..do I have to hold it, spam it..? the highest has been cloud #5. XD

And yeah, it's quite similar to the NES game.

Drkirby said:

I can also see why it's called Return to Dream Land in USA, it kinda feels like Dream Land 2 and 3 in design. Especially in the enemies.

fernoca said:
I always press 2 when it says so..do I have to hold it, spam it..? the highest has been cloud #5. XD

Just tap (quick press, don't hold)2 when you are as close to the bottom of the screen as possible. I got a 6 or something the first time but haven't gotten less than a 3 since then.

So how does this game's multiplayer compare to SMBWii. Because WMBWii was some of the best 4 player fun I had with my roommates last year and I'm itching for more.

Teknoman

EskimoJoe said:
So how does this game's multiplayer compare to SMBWii. Because WMBWii was some of the best 4 player fun I had with my roommates last year and I'm itching for more.

Extremely fun when everyone is dashing through the level, cutting through enemies. Its like playing a platforming beat em up.

Damn. I can't get Platinum on the Sword challenge, 2 coins short and even thought I watched some youtube vids I have NO IDEA which I'm missing. I swear I'm getting all of them.
EDIT: Found them, hidden behind a platform I thought I so wittingly cut out of my route.

Anth0ny

Ninja Kirby is fucking amazing. I wish I could play the whole game as him. They should totally make a spinoff... needle throwing, wall jumping and pile driving? What more can you want?

Speaking of pile driving, I get butterflies every time I recognize one of Kirby's moves from Smash Bros. Funny how the roles are reversed like that =P

And why does this game think it needs to inform me that my Wiimote's battery is low every 5 minutes? Clearly it isn't, because they still haven't died, and I've been playing this game for at least 5 hours now.

Just bought this. This game is great. The cutscenes remind me of Kirby 64 a lot. New powers are awesome, old enhanced powers are awesome.

Anth0ny

Just finished the game.

Final boss reminds me of
Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario
. That is awesome.

And world 8 blew my fucking balls off. Very fun game overall.

Finished it just in time for Sonic Generations =D

rpmurphy

fernoca said:

I still have the habit of mashing after Kirby gets launched. lol

fernoca

rpmurphy said:
I still have the habit of mashing after Kirby gets launched. lol
Even after the recommendations...I still do. :p
..and still suck. :(

I was so good in the NES game..what happened? :(

I also bought this game to "hold me until Zelda". But it's so great and even playing it slowly I'm on World 4 already. Alternating with Flingsmash, which I got yesterday for $8 (game only); so..I'll see.

Still working on challenge rooms, only doing one or two each day. Do you have to platinum them to get 100%(I want to anyway, just curious) and anyone know if [side content spoiler]
the challenge rooms are any different in EX mode?
EDIT: Answered my own question. Don't need Platinum to 100% the game.

Salaadin

Just beat it co-op with my brother. This game is sooo good. 87% our first time thru. Going to 100% it and then probably give extra mode a shot.

I love traditional Kirby.

One thing that made me love this game more is all the references to Smash Bros. and Link.

The fireworks launcher thingy? It was an original item in Smash, now it actually has a game of its own. Metaknight and Dedede use their Smash moves in co-op (so I've heard) and Sword power has Kirby shooting out beams at full health, spinning if A is held, and he even does the downward stabbie thingy from Smash Bros!

Top Bottom