• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Finish on Normal. While some of the levels were middling, the final boss was great. So glad they didn't make you redo the whole thing if you failed midway though.

Game worked great in Dolphin. A bit of slow down here and there, and the cut scenes were choppy and the sound often broke in them, but other then that, great.

I would have to put the overall game below Adventure and Super Star, but I think I liked it better then 64. I'll have to see how much I enjoy it on replays down the road.

9E647F8825DD7FF3621C2B746F66C73603210AA9

DeVeAn

My little bro got this before me so I got to play with him to the end. What a fuck awesome Kirby game. Really enjoyed it and the new ultra type powers are soo cool. Took them long enough to make this game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Finished up this morning on normal. Overall feeling is that this is, as a package, the best Kirby platformer ever. OG Kirby's Adventure may be a little tighter and more creative with its enemy placement, but I suspect the difference is due to the need to accommodate up to four players in all the level maps.

However, this is a seriously polished piece of work; it (literally, in a lot of places) glimmers. The 2.5d graphics are just plain amazing, and thanks to the typical Nintendo art style, that statement goes for any hardware. It's not like there'd be much to improve other than resolution if it were on the PS360.

Its multiplayer is actually some of the best out there because it's so punchy and fun. At times, it feels like a four player Subspace Emissary from SSBB. I played through it with a friend for 2 players at least, and fighting all the sub bosses and bosses with multiple players is incredibly fun. It's also NOT a cakewalk after the midpoint of the game. The last couple of worlds are especially tricky and tough, and I did run out of lives 3 or 4 times.

Overall, this is 100% gaming soul food, but then, Nintendo has really knocked it out of the park the last few years with that kind of platformer. Wario Shake It, NSMB Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Yarn despite its low difficulty, and now this. The Wii will go down as being one of Nintendo's strongest consoles for platforming.

If they'd only go the distance and make a new, first-party developed Yoshi's Island, that would be unreal.

Just beat the World 5 boss.
Loved the little tease with the sail at the beginning. Then the boss comes out and I'm like "awww they're making me do this again? wtf creatively bankrupt" but then it got hard. And I enjoyed it. And then he changed into his final form... and the last blow I'd put only a little below stabbing Ganondorf's head. So awesome.

illadelph

I think I'm gonna ask someone to get me this game for Christmas. Nintendo platformers are the best kind of game.

Out of those who have played both, do you prefer this or Kirby Mass Attack on the DS? I have yet to play either, but both seem to be very well received.

If you've got a hankering for a traditional-style Kirby platformer, or you have people you can play co-op with, get the Wii game. Although you really can't go wrong either way.

NEO0MJ

Just finished world 5. So much fun, and challenging (for a Kirby game, anyway).
Also, Sphere Doomers are probably my fav new enemies in the game. I also like the platforming challenges before facing them.

Just beat the regular mode. This game is amazing. Definitely scratched my Kirby itch.

However, I did feel like the bosses were kind of underwhelming, except for a few of them. Kirby 64 is my kirby of choice so I'm just used to big grandiose bosses in Kirby I guess.

Also, I liked the music, but I understand where that one guy who complained was coming from. I felt more like Super Mario Galaxy music than the typical Kirby soundtrack.

Goody

After a long session of play I got the the last level and could not beat it.

I'll probably try again tonight and hopefully it will be easier just playing the last level.

Fighting Landia, going through the shmup level and then fighting two forms of Magolor was just too much in one sitting. I'm glad that I can start on Magolor after dying, but I was getting pretty close to a gameover. I was really happy to play a shmup Kirby level though. I haven't played one since Super Star.

Maybe I just suck, but I don't get the criticisms of this game being too easy.

Boogdud

wtf went to best buy this weekend to spend some reward zone certificates and they STILL don't have this game in stock. Checked again today, nope. It's not even available on their site.

Berordn

Esnel Pla said:
Maybe I just suck, but I don't get the criticisms of this game being too easy.
It really isn't. Level 5 onward is surprisingly difficult, especially for a Kirby game. Maybe not super hardcore, but the reviews sound like no one played past level 1.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
So is there any point in the game like Mass Attack, where if you don't have enough spheres you can't go to the next world? Or are they purely for bonuses?
The spheres are only for unlocking the rooms in the Lor Starcutter.

ccbfan

Bought this on Saturday.

Binged the game on Saturday (GF not pleased) and finished the regular mode 100% (Didn't get all platinums on the challenges yet though)

Game is fun but way too easy. Didn't really get to do much with the abilities because the game was too easy and I kinda just busted through spamming.

The bosses give you way too much time to prepare for their attacks and super inhale is way too overpowered. Plus all the boss attack patterns don't vary enough so you can kinda predict what happens.

Even getting the gears are too easy. Most of the gears or the door leading to cogs are in plain sight. The only "puzzle" is having the correct ability which is most of the time convienently place right before the section either as a statue or enemy. Sometimes they give you these challenges (like carry a key through a level or race against this one guy) but those were always easy.

The only time I died in the regular game is when I purposely die when I miss a cog.

Then came Extra mode binging on Sunday and this is when the game became great.

Sometimes when a game is too easy you don't really get to enjoy the finer points of the game like level design, controls, and abilities.

Extra mode is great. You get less health so you have to be more careful plus the enemies are better placed and bigger that you actually have the do some real platforming now. The shadow world actually becomes fun instead of some monotonous thing you had to do before the mid boss.

The bosses have much better attacks and are actually tough. It actually takes strategy to beat them.

With the added difficulty now you actually have to dive deeper into the game and start understanding the abilities and which is good and which is not.

Tornado, hammer, shock and leaf are so freakin broken. (Leaf and tornado in arena was LOL worthy)

Ninja, spear and fighter are the most fun.

Gears are still easy to find but some of those challenges are crazy now.

The race with that guy is sick now. The guy is fast as hell done. Some of them you literally need the right item(Luckily still convientently placed right before the challenge) and make a perfect run to beat the guy.

Best game of the year for me so far. Only issue I have with the game is that they force you to play normal mode to get extra mode and that you can't use the other characters in single player.

NEO0MJ

Just finished this game. So awesome. And the final boss was amazing, plus challenging. Why can't Mario platformers have amazing final bosses as well?
Will replay the game after the holiday game rush.

jesusraz

New review just gone up:

Kirby’s Adventure Wii is a resounding success in every single area. From the gorgeous visuals to the infectious soundtrack, through to the ingenious level design, impressive new weaponry Kirby has to hand, the extra challenges thrown in to please veteran gamers, and the four-player drop-in/drop-out option. Those eagerly awaiting a high quality successor to Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards need look no further. Another spectacular side-scrolling platform game to grace Wii.

Cubed3 - 9/10

Definitely one of my games of the year so far :) In my opinion: Kirby's Adventure Wii > Kirby Mass Attack > Kirby's Epic Yarn

Neiteio

By Christmas I'll already have Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, 3D Land and Mario Kart. I couldn't/can't wait for any of them.

I can wait for this, as Kirby is a "secondary" franchise for me. But I'm really looking forward to getting it as a Christmas gift. Looks like a game to give my brothers and I the warm fuzzies on Christmas Day. :)

psy18

Just grabbed this game after reading some reviews and I'm completely surprised of how fun this game is.

I thought I was done with 2d platformers (didn't like rayman origins demo) but somehow this game just brought me back.

After plowing through Dark Souls (200+hours, plat'd) I'll enjoy this cute and fun platformer.

Finally had a chance to play this with two other people, and it really is a whole bundle of fun. I think I prefer it to Epic Yarn, which was brilliant but carried almost no challenge.

On World 4 so far, but damn are the challenge rooms tough to get a Platinum medal on. Hi-Jump took me like an hour, and Sword/Whip took a while too.

Makes me wish you could use the Classic Controller, but that has been true for almost every 2D game on Wii. Wiimote d-pad is too tiny.

Finished 100%'ing the Main mode last night. Will come back and try the EX mode later on.

This may qualify as blasphemy, but I think I actually enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn more than this game. I thought the concept, visual design, and soundtrack of Epic Yarn were more compelling. This game... I mean, it's good, but just failed to really thrill me for some reason.

I did love the "super powers" (whatever those are called) though, and the four-player co-op is awesome of course. Oh, and the final stage and final boss were both AMAZING.

Finished 100% with all Platinum medals. The last one was brutal, mainly because of the length. Then did the Arena with Leaf Kirby. So overpowered.

Haven't tried out Extra Mode yet, but will later in the week

I'm not even gonna bother with getting the Platinum medals

Kirby really needs to stop helping out people from Intergalactic planets/dimensions >_>

So I heard this game was panned by IGN, so naturally I had to go and buy it.

I'm about 42% in.

This is how I feel about it so far.

Game single player: 7.5/10

Game with a group of friends: 9/10

Great music, great visuals, fun powers, and awesome partners (playing DeDeDe the entire game? Yes, fucking PLEASE!).

Yuterald

I just went back and got my last two Platinum medals in the Main game. As of right now I have 100% in the Main mode with all Platinum Medals earned. Holy shit was the final item challenge EXTREMELY difficult and frustrating! It's like the only challenge where you have to hit all the bonuses (time, enemies defeated, all coins collected, no damage, etc.) while STILL doing it well over the par time. I think I had 43 seconds left on the clock when I finished it. Most of the time just hitting the goal around 32 or even 30.10 seconds gave you the Platinum, but the item challenge wanted more out of you, god damn!

I also finished and unlocked all the levels in both mini games. So, all I have left to do is complete the Arena/boss rush mode and get 100% in the EX game.

Yuterald

So what's the final verdict here? Better than Epic Yarn? And by how much?

You know, the more I think about it I think I enjoyed Epic Yarn more, surprisingly. Return to Dreamland is a great platformer and an awesome Kirby title too, but there was just something so fresh and exciting about Epic Yarn. While Epic Yarn is a way easier game I just remember being more excited to see the new levels and bosses in that game. It was probably because it had such a distinct and unique visual style, I don't know.

Return to Dreamland feels like an SNES game, which isn't a bad thing. If you've played any of the Gameboy or SNES Kirby titles then you know exactly what to expect. It is a more challenging game though. There are challenge rooms with Platinum medals to earn and they demand very precise skills and tactics. Also, there is an unlockable EX mode where Kirby has much lower health so if you are one to 100% games then it does offer A LOT more challenge than Epic Yarn.

Overall, they are both worth playing. The Wii is a treasure trove of 2D platformers and both of these should not be passed up. I think if you haven't played a traditional Kirby game in awhile then go with Return to Dreamland because it's definitely nostalgic and fun. If you want something different I'd say go with Epic Yarn first (especially since it's cheaper) or maybe even Mass Attack on the DS (which is also very different and exceptional).

Personally I'd say Epic Yarn is better, but that may be because I've played a few classic Kirby games in the vein of Return to Dream Land this year and preferred the more unique feel of Epic Yarn.

If you're hankering for a return to the older games then Return to Dream Land is definitely worth it.

eXistor

I'd say so, yes. Epic Yarn was fun, but had absolutely no difficulty to speak of, you couldn't even die. It did have a lovely art-style and some wonderfully creative levels, but overall I found the game lacking simply because it didn't offer any challenge.

That's not to say Return to Dreamland is hard, but at least there's a threat of dying. It's more of the same Kirby games we've been playing since Game Boy, but it still manages to surprise here and there. I don't think the game is mindblowing in any way, but it was a fun return to traditional Kirby. "Solid" would be the word to best describe the game.

If you only play one Kirby game this year though, make sure it's Mass Attack, that one was fantastic.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If Epic Yarn had an EX mode or second quest that increased the difficulty somehow, I'd say it was an overall better game than Return to Dreamland. It's just really fresh feeling and has great new play mechanics.

But, both games are exemplary Kirby games. Return is, with multiplayer factored in, maybe the best traditional style Kirby platformer, and that's saying something.

The holy trinity of Kirby games for me is now Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, and Return to Dreamland. Not a bad set to get within a five year span!

Scoops

Banned
Got this game for Christmas and currently right before the World 5 boss. Really good so far and surprisingly challenging (at least if you're going for the power gear things). Graphics aren't as creative as Epic Yarn but it's actually a very pretty game. Definitely worth getting.

Sagitario

The holy trinity of Kirby games for me is now Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, and Return to Dreamland. Not a bad set to get within a five year span!

I am really disliking the bouncing physics of Kirby, not enjoying it, sadly :( [I have played up to the third or 4th world]

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This game was essentially Superstar 2.0, without all the different gameplay modes, but still really fun and enjoyable. Even though it could've been harder, it wasn't to easy and some levels required multiple play throughs to get all the gears. Super fun and highly recommended. Superstar is my favorite Kirby game so this was awesome to see.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Bought this for the co-op with a bud as we were bored. We beat this in 3 days basically. First 4 worlds... "Lolz so pink. Too easy"

Then shit hit the fan.

"Oh shit"

Got much better afterward. Just a fun game, I'd give it around 7/10. Much better than the POS Epic Yarn was.

Teknoman

Return to Dreamland is much better on all counts (graphics, gameplay, and music). Just the last few areas and the final boss make it so.

Basil Bridge onward
and just cant express how much I liked the
Lor Starcutter chase leading into the final battle, and the final battle itself

Instead of being all 2D all the time, I kind of wish there were more 3D-ish elements, like we saw in Kirby 64. It would've been nice to see them take advantage of perspective like that.

I would have liked to see the
Lor Starcutter chase
switch from 2D to a 3D Panzer Dragoon style camera angle halfway through.

Top Bottom