• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase: Xbox market important for us, can remake PS-era Final Fantasy games for 360

Coxy

Square holds the crown for the worst PS3 support out of basically every major Japanese developer, I personally don't think there's any doubt.

let's be honest here. they're way WAY below some incredibly small japanese developers, let alone the big ones

There was no mention of 360 in the FFX HD press release...

I really don't get what he is talking about here, they already said remaking the PS1 FF games would be a gigantic task. Why would any remake be 360 exclusive? Unless he just means porting the games as they are, but I don't even know if that's desirable.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

I really don't get what he is talking about here, they already said remaking the PS1 FF games would be a gigantic task. Why would any remake be 360 exclusive? Unless he just means porting the games as they are, but I don't even know if that's desirable.

I think "remake" means port

Takao

Banned

This was an Xbox magazine interview. I kind of doubt Kitase was going to be like "Hahahaha, suckers you're getting the inferior version!! You'll never see an FF game after this one!!! Muhahaha!"... Though, it would be amazing if he did.

graywolf323

This was an Xbox magazine interview. I kind of doubt Kitase was going to be like "Hahahaha, suckers you're getting the inferior version!! You'll never see an FF game after this one!!! Muhahaha!"... Though, it would be amazing if he did.

maybe it was lost in the translation? :p

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted

Why??? You think you are being funny but you’re NOT!

Takao

Banned
Right, he probably forgot that internet argument wankfests >>> games for a second there. How silly of him! He better not let that happen again.

I was thinking more for hardware pushing games, rather than "meh" games on 2 platforms, or having one platform having obvious superiority over the other, but okay.

Square Enix's Lord of Apocalypse is a good example of this. The game is PSP/Vita, and it shows. It probably wouldn't be much of a looker on Vita simply due to time, but it likely would look a tonne better if development started on Vita, and stayed only on it.

Why??? You think you are being funny but you’re NOT!

PqJvB.jpg

This thread seems to be eliciting some (though a mere fraction) of the angst that was caused by the FFXIII reveal for the 360 ;)

Happy to see SE acknowledge the need to also develop for markets outside Japan. Interesting interview for sure.

Slime

Banned
Kind of hope Microsoft is listening and puts up some of dat funding money, since outside help is the only way I see these remakes happening, given everything SE has said. FFVII remake as an exclusive 720 launch title published by MGS would be an awesome supermegagigaton E3 announcement.

Takao

Banned
So having Gears 2 on PS3 too would make it instantly "meh"? Skyrim would be guaranteed to be a better game if it were 360-only?

Well besides the fact that no sizable audience would want Gears 2 on PS3, that isn't what I meant. I meant there's 2 options there, you have a game that is equal on all platforms, but doesn't push any of them in any meaningful way, or you have a game where one is obviously a much superior port than the other. In the case of Skyrim, maybe Bethesda could've made the PC version better if they didn't have any focus on consoles. I hear those games have mega glitches and weirdness going on.

Edit: I didn't think this through, lol.

Except all the Microsoft support that Square Enix put out has bit them in the ass.

I don't think any of their 360 exclusive or 360 multiplatform version has done well or better than PS3.
Using your logic 90% of multiplatform devs are regretting releasing games on the PS3.

Next time, take a minute to think your posts through before clicking that magic button.

GavinGT

Banned
Well besides the fact that no sizable audience would want Gears 2 on PS3, that isn't what I meant. I meant there's 2 options there, you have a game that is equal on all platforms, but doesn't push any of them in any meaningful way, or you have a game where one is obviously a much superior port than the other. In the case of Skyrim, maybe Bethesda could've made the PC version better if they didn't have any focus on consoles. I hear those games have mega glitches and weirdness going on.

Edit: I didn't think this through, lol.

No you did not.

Vamphuntr

Usually, in cases like this the other platforms would've been announced after the conference ended.

Like Metal Gear Rising being announced for 360, and then Konami saying "hai guyz ps3 too" after IGN ran a story about it being exclusive and junk.

I'm surprised GAF still doesn't remember how FFXIII was announced for the 360. Maybe it doesn't want to remember?

Trailers for the game stealthily went from "Only on PS3" to "Only on PS3 in Japan" then they announced it at E3 in a special SE conference. Eventually the 360 version even made it's way to Japan...

Takao

Banned
I'm surprised GAF still doesn't remember how FFXIII was announced for the 360. Maybe it doesn't want to remember?

Trailers for the game stealthily went from "Only on PS3" to "Only on PS3 in Japan" then they announced it at E3 in a special SE conference. Eventually the 360 version even made it's way to Japan...

XIII being on 360 was a megaton drop. FFX HD port isn't a megaton. X HD on 360 would be an "Oh, okay" announcement.

because they sell more in europe and japan?

Follow the train of logic. He's saying that since most 3rd party games sell better on 360 overall, the argument that "360 support is a waste of time because the PS3 version sells more" would be horrific if applied unilaterally to the PS3.

Jonnyram

Yeah, I guess this pretty much confirms the FFX HD is coming to 360 as well as Vita/PS3.
Wouldn't surprise me if it comes to WiiU somewhere down the line, in that case.

Vamphuntr

XIII being on 360 was a megaton drop. FFX HD port isn't a megaton. X HD on 360 would be an "Oh, okay" announcement.

Yup but it still wasn't announced right off the bat and they will probably do the same for Versus XIII. With all the money they've poured on the project, I doubt they will ignore the money from the 360 base.

The announcement was also made at E3 (US) for the port. I'm not saying there will be a 360 port of FFX Remake but I still don't see why they would have announced that at a Sony Conference in Japan.

Official news and details for FFXIII-2 were also released at E3.

Takao

Banned
Yup but it still wasn't announced right off the bat and they will probably do the same for Versus XIII. With all the money they've poured on the project, I doubt they will ignore the money from the 360 base.

The announcement was also made at E3 (US) for the port. I'm not saying there will be a 360 port of FFX Remake but I still don't see why they would have announced that at a Sony Conference in Japan.

Official news and details for FFXIII-2 were also released at E3.

Did Microsoft have a TGS presser this year? Given the way they've been marketing nothings as big coups, I think this could've been one of their super scoops or something.

I thought it was announced with the "one more thing" shoulder tap in a surprise so big it killed all rational thought on the internet for a few hours.

Vamphuntr

Did Microsoft have a TGS presser this year? Given the way they've been marketing nothings as big coups, I think this could've been one of their super scoops or something.

Pretty sure they did but for all we know Sony could have asked for the exclusive at their conference. Since we've seen nothing at all besides a logo it would seem the game was nothing more than doodles on a napkin but Sony had to show it because the Vita needed Final Fantasy.

kevm3

These companies are all about profits, so of course there aren't going to be exclusives like that anymore unless a company pays. Square will port to any and everything they can. They are not going to ignore millions of customers just to make fans feel better. What Sony needs to do next time to increase their competitiveness is ensure the PS4 development environment isn't so difficult so that they aren't constantly getting AWFUL ports. i hear Vita is a step in the right direction in terms of development ease, so that gives a small glimmer of hope.

RaijinFY

These companies are all about profits, so of course there aren't going to be exclusives like that anymore unless a company pays. Square will port to any and everything they can. They are not going to ignore millions of customers just to make fans feel better. What Sony needs to do next time to increase their competitiveness is ensure the PS4 development environment isn't so difficult so that they aren't constantly getting AWFUL ports. i hear Vita is a step in the right direction in terms of development ease, so that gives a small glimmer of hope.

One thing i don't understand is why they dont port on PC?

Top Bottom