• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitchener-Waterloo GAF |OT|

krae_man

kYJHM.jpg

Just kidding. Feel free to join in

T7759gZ.jpg

DolSW.jpg

bhbiB.png

]

There seem to be a lot of us. Lets see where this goes.

Thai

Bane was better.
Crystal Palace. Get deep fried milk + crispy rice with tomato sauce. Never found those anywhere else :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My partner and I are working on moving to the area sometime in the future here. She went to college at Laurier/UW so she's familiar with the area, but I might come ask for some advice.
And a line on any good jobs haha :(

A distinct lack of UW iconic images in the OP disappoints the UWAlumni in me.

My partner and I are working on moving to the area sometime in the future here. She went to college at Laurier/UW so she's familiar with the area, but I might come ask for some advice.
And a line on any good jobs haha :(
I think I'd move back too if something fell in the right place.

Markster

image.php

Love the hotties at the Starbucks near Wilfred Laurier on University Ave.
This thread will go far.

That said, I've always enjoyed perusing the Pawn shops downtown looking for classic 16-bit games.

Thai

Bane was better.
Roxanne's monday nights for amateur night. See young wilfred laurier girls trying to "make it through school". Hit on them the next day in psych 101.

krae_man

image.php

This thread will go far.

That said, I've always enjoyed perusing the Pawn shops downtown looking for classic 16-bit games.

A friend of mine owns Games Exchange. Also that new place that opened up where that buddhist pawn shop used to be seems promising.

A distinct lack of UW iconic images in the OP disappoints the UWAlumni in me.

I could post a photo of the football team with a vial of steroids beside it if you like.

cube444

Roxanne's monday nights for amateur night. See young wilfred laurier girls trying to "make it through school". Hit on them the next day in psych 101.

:lol I drove by this place and boy does it look dirty from the outside!

I'm sure some Guelph girls go there too.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Waterloo's economy might crash along with RIM next year.

As someone that works at a company in London that has a strong focus on IT/Dev, I'm concerned with the flood the job market is going to have as people are let go from RIM.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm not sure what the exact English name is, but it's a mix of CompSci and Electrical Engineering.

Edit: Well, they call it "Computer Science and Engineering"

Waterloo's computer engineering program has a great reputation. You should consider an exchange!

krae_man

I'm less worried about academics, what's life like there?

I mean, the location seems pretty good.

Oh well living here is great!

Edit: Your profile says your from Germany. Lots of Germans here in Kitchener/Waterloo. We have the largest Oktoberfest festival outside of Munich.

Any particular questions?

Milchjon

Oh well living here is great!

Edit: Your profile says your from Germany. Lots of Germans here in Kitchener/Waterloo. We have the largest Oktoberfest festival outside of Munich.

Any particular questions?

Uh, I dunno :-D

One thing that's always pretty important to me: How easy is it to get around without a car? Toronto and Buffalo are pretty close, how would I get there?

Is the campus within the city or outside? (Yes, I could probably google that one ;-) )

How well do exchange students mix? Some friends of mine who went for a student's exchange almost exclusively in contact with other exchange students, which I think is rather disappointing.

And of course, how high are the costs of living there? Exchange students get a scholarship from some German exchange organization, but I don't think it would cover all my expenses.

krae_man

One thing that's always pretty important to me: How easy is it to get around without a car? Toronto and Buffalo are pretty close, how would I get there?

Is the campus within the city or outside? (Yes, I could probably google that one ;-) )

How well do exchange students mix? Some friends of mine who went for a student's exchange almost exclusively in contact with other exchange students, which I think is rather disappointing.

And of course, how high are the costs of living there? Exchange students get a scholarship from some German exchange organization, but I don't think it would cover all my expenses.

Grand River Transit is decent. All U of W students ride for free on the Bus. All you have to do is show your WAT card(U of W Student card) and you can get on for free. Most of the main routes run every 30 minutes 7 days a week. It's not as good as large cities with Subways and LRT or anything but it's totally managable. I don't have a car and have managed to get around just fine my who life without one.

As for Toronto and Buffalo, you can take a Greyhound Bus. Greyhound has buses to Toronto almost every hour from 5am till late in the evening and the last bus back to Kitchener leaves Toronto at 11:30pm every night. That's another thing I use frequently. You can easily get to Toronto without a car. Buffalo takes 2 buses. One to Toronto, Then another to Buffalo. Ticket prices range from $10-$20 each way depending on how early you book and there may be student discounts I'm not aware of.

Student life, I'm not sure about as I never attended that school. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

As for Cost of living. I pay $850/month for a 2 bedroom appartment with Utilities included. I believe student residences near the universities run around $500/month per room or so.

Milchjon

Cool, thanks. I'll look into it, although the odds aren't all that good. And even if I were to get accepted, I'd probably have to wait til 2014.

My dirty little secret is that I'd also want to see what all the Ohio hate is all about, so that's a trip I'd want to make, too.

Sickafant

I am in Computer Engineering and since the cohort pretty much stays the same from the beginning, the class will generally know each other very well and I guess this could make it a bit harder to fit in. This is assuming other schools aren't like this, I always had the impression that this was a unique aspect of this school's program. Of course, since you are new you will stick out a lot more and people will probably strike up a conversation out of curiosity. I myself noticed some exchange students in 3rd year, but never managed to go talk to them. I'm pretty shy, though.

Usually group work is involved so you will be forced to get to know at least somebody.

A lot of student clubs as well.

Milchjon

I am in Computer Engineering and since the cohort pretty much stays the same from the beginning, the class will generally know each other very well and I guess this could make it a bit harder to fit in. This is assuming other schools aren't like this, I always had the impression that this was a unique aspect of this school's program. Of course, since you are new you will stick out a lot more and people will probably strike up a conversation out of curiosity. I myself noticed some exchange students in 3rd year, but never managed to go talk to them. I'm pretty shy, though.

Usually group work is involved so you will be forced to get to know at least somebody.

A lot of student clubs as well.

Ha, cool. So I'm definitely in the right place here if I have any more questions.

Thanks!

krae_man

Anyone getting in line for the Wii U?

I have mine preordered from the Fairview Mall EB. They haven't called to let me know when they are opening yet and they aren't listed on the midnight or realy opening pages :(

jajas2

Ha, what a coincedence, I never go into OT community threads but I was bored at my office. I moved to K-W last year and yes... these streets are fucked up.

Top Bottom