• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitchener-Waterloo GAF |OT|

UberTag

Making obligatory token post in K-W GAF thread.
Let's Go Rangers!!! Currently 14-7-1-1.
The only hockey that matters in 2012-13.

Kitchener_Rangers.png

Hello fellas, fellow Waterloo GAF'er here.

Question for you local folks, anyone done any poster framing locally? I've got a whole load of them to get framed for the basement and I'd like to start picking away at them one or two at a time to ease the cost.

krae_man

Hello fellas, fellow Waterloo GAF'er here.

Question for you local folks, anyone done any poster framing locally? I've got a whole load of them to get framed for the basement and I'd like to start picking away at them one or two at a time to ease the cost.

I need to do that too. The only place I know of that does framing is Athena in Conestoga Mall.

Brick used to to gangbuster business when they were the only beer store in town open on Sundays.
Haha wow I had a summer job at one of their breweries a couple summers ago. And I guess I'm not very active on neogaf but I might as well post in here, I attend the University of Guelph but my hometown is decently close to KW.

cube444

I've been hitting that Starbucks in Kitchener the last two weeks every morning when I get off the 401 heading west at the King/Shantz Hill exit. I stay right and then make another right at the Shell station and then a left into the parking lot where the Chapters is.

Place gets very busy around 7:30pm. I see the odd hotty come in as well. :)

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've been hitting that Starbucks in Kitchener the last two weeks every morning when I get off the 401 heading west at the King/Shantz Hill exit. I stay right and then make another right at the Shell station and then a left into the parking lot where the Chapters is.

Place gets very busy around 7:30pm. I see the odd hotty come in as well. :)

No hotties in K-W, sorry. :(

Kazerei

Banned
Yeah, it bothers me when people whine about spending money to MAKE PROGRESS. Light rail is fucking amazing. It's about damn time we joined the 21st century.

UberTag

Oddly enough, the idea that came immediately to mind to me is one that hasn't been suggested at all.

For a "light" rail solution for "Waterloo" region... why not employ the one term that's synonymous with both?

Call it the WATT. Or you could come up with a unique variation that ends in -watt. Plenty of those around to spin a name off of.

krae_man

Yeah, it bothers me when people whine about spending money to MAKE PROGRESS. Light rail is fucking amazing. It's about damn time we joined the 21st century.

Yeah I know. I'm still holding out hope we'll eventually get that fast rail between Windsor and Montreal. I hope I can get to Pearson by taking the LRT to the fast rail in my lifetime.

KW GAF, lend me your ears:

I heard about this place called Smoke's Poutinerie from the guys on the 102.1 the edge morning show a while back. They raved about how amazing it was and that the menu was awesome, but sadly there were no locations in or near KW. This recently changed and we've now got a location on King and University in Waterloo (across the street from Morty's).

My girlfriend and I tried it on the weekend and holy hell was it good. Everything is top notch quality, they don't skimp on anything, and the menu so diverse that it's almost hard to choose something! On top of that the prices are very reasonable and they serve Pop Shoppe pop! Seriously, if you enjoy poutine even a little - you have to try this place!

Here's the menu and the address, directions, and hours

Entropia

No One Remembers
KW GAF, lend me your ears:

I heard about this place called Smoke's Poutinerie from the guys on the 102.1 the edge morning show a while back. They raved about how amazing it was and that the menu was awesome, but sadly there were no locations in or near KW. This recently changed and we've now got a location on King and University in Waterloo (across the street from Morty's).

My girlfriend and I tried it on the weekend and holy hell was it good. Everything is top notch quality, they don't skimp on anything, and the menu so diverse that it's almost hard to choose something! On top of that the prices are very reasonable and they serve Pop Shoppe pop! Seriously, if you enjoy poutine even a little - you have to try this place!

Here's the menu and the address, directions, and hours

It's not bad at all even if you're one of those "it's a chain it can't be good!" type of people. I've only gone like 1-2 times because it's not exactly the healthiest place. :p

krae_man said:
I needed my showshoes to get to work today.

Damn man! I saw some guy with his cross-country skies on going by my office building today :lol

namDa65

U of W student here currently on a co-op term. Sort of missing this place :(. Love the amount of small restaurants around. Ye's Sushi, King street Trio, Auntie's Cafe <3

Kazerei

Banned
Has anyone ever gone to a Waterloo Video Game Swap Meet? I see it advertised on Kijiji a few times a year. Is it a worthwhile place to get some old games?

jajas2

Hey Kay-Dubbers, I need cool or funky restaurant ideas in the cities. Me and the fiancee are tired of the same old and we wanna expand a bit. So what's good?

I'm not sure what you have and haven't tried, but here are a few that I've discovered over the past few years that aren't the typical major chains.

Hog Tails BBQ is the best BBQ joint in the tri-cities imo. The restaurant is small, so if you plan on dining in I suggest getting there just before the dinner rush. I recommend the brisket, melts in your mouth.

Johnny Fresco has got some amazing pitas and burgers. The pitas in particular will ruin the big pita chains for you. They put Pita Pit and Pita Factory to shame.

Borealis Grill has a cool menu filled with local eats that changes seasonally. My fiance and I try to go at least once a season to check out the new menu items. Everything is always amazing. GREAT burgers.

Jacks Family Restaurant has some really good 'home cooked' style meals. Everything always tastes super fresh. I wouldn't be shocked if they used vendors from the farmers market across the street. Expect a wait for breakfast, but it's worth it.

jajas2

I'm not sure what you have and haven't tried, but here are a few that I've discovered over the past few years that aren't the typical major chains.

Hog Tails BBQ is the best BBQ joint in the tri-cities imo. The restaurant is small, so if you plan on dining in I suggest getting there just before the dinner rush. I recommend the brisket, melts in your mouth.

Johnny Fresco has got some amazing pitas and burgers. The pitas in particular will ruin the big pita chains for you. They put Pita Pit and Pita Factory to shame.

Borealis Grill has a cool menu filled with local eats that changes seasonally. My fiance and I try to go at least once a season to check out the new menu items. Everything is always amazing. GREAT burgers.

Jacks Family Restaurant has some really good 'home cooked' style meals. Everything always tastes super fresh. I wouldn't be shocked if they used vendors from the farmers market across the street. Expect a wait for breakfast, but it's worth it.

Awesome, thanks. I'm especially keen to try out the BBQ joint

krae_man

I'm thinking of organizing a KW GAF meetup during Oktoberfest. Problem is, the tickets would probably need to be purchased in April when they go on sale so it could be quite the logistical nightmare. However I still want to try. Some people at the last TO GAF meetup expressed interest in coming down if I do it too.

I've never gone Oktoberfesting before so I'm not sure what's a good day/venue to pick.

Karlsberghaus? Concordia Club? First Fri or Sat? Second Fri or Sat?

Any suggestions?

Hey KWGAF - Looking for a good mexican restaurant in the area. Like a legit sit-down restaurant. Any recommendations?

Edit: Also, is anyone going to the May 5th game swap meet at the moose lodge? I've been twice before - pretty good event.

krae_man

Hey KWGAF - Looking for a good mexican restaurant in the area. Like a legit sit-down restaurant. Any recommendations?

Edit: Also, is anyone going to the May 5th game swap meet at the moose lodge? I've been twice before - pretty good event.

I've been to the swap before, might go again. don't know about Mexican resturants apart from Taco Bell:p

Edit: Wait there's a burrito place on Duke St downtown. Holy Guacamole! or something. You could try that.

I've been to the swap before, might go again. don't know about Mexican resturants apart from Taco Bell:p

Edit: Wait there's a burrito place on Duke St downtown. Holy Guacamole! or something. You could try that.

Thanks I'll give that a go if I'm in the area. I've also heard Burrito Boyz in Waterloo is good.

Just a reminder of the local game swap meet this weekend at the Moose Lodge in Waterloo.

Kijiji Link - from the ad:
Hello everyone, its that time of year again to run our May edition of the CGCC video game swap meet. I hope everyone enjoyed the October show. We had 37 tables loaded with lots of classic and newer games. We also gave away some very cool door prizes too.The swap is being held again at the Moose Lodge located at 655 Wabanaki drive in Kitchener N2C 2G3. The date is Sunday May 5th from 1-4pm. An ATM is available at the Moose Lodge as well. Cost of admission is $5(young kids are free).

Speaking of Waterloo, whatever happened to Campus Court arson case?

Are most business back and operating right now?

I know that was like almost 2 years ago, but what's the latest on that plaza? everything is back to normal?

Gordon

Speaking of Waterloo, whatever happened to Campus Court arson case?

Are most business back and operating right now?

I know that was like almost 2 years ago, but what's the latest on that plaza? everything is back to normal?
Mel's is finally open again. The arsonists confessed (link) and apparently they were put up to it by the owner of The Vault (or whatever it is/was called)

krae_man

I'm working until 2:30pm so I can't go to the swap meet :)

Edit: There's a new Candy store on Queen St in Kitchener that looks just like Sugar Mountain(eg price stickers clipped to candy boxes with clothes pegs etc). Seems like they decided to start fresh somewhere else.

Gordon

I'm working until 2:30pm so I can't go to the swap meet :)

Edit: There's a new Candy store on Queen St in Kitchener that looks just like Sugar Mountain(eg price stickers clipped to candy boxes with clothes pegs etc). Seems like they decided to start fresh somewhere else.
Ooh, where roughly on Queen? I wouldn't mind checking that out..

Kazerei

Banned
There's a video game swap meet coming up this weekend (Sept 15). Has anyone been to one? How big is it, and how are the prices? I'm mainly looking for rare PS2 and GC games. I don't mind paying above eBay prices, but some used dealers have ridiculous prices.

There seem to be two major swap meets in the area. That one, and the one run by the guys over at cgcc.ca. I've only ever been the the latter, but it's pretty fun. Some good finds if you get there early.

krae_man

There's a video game swap meet coming up this weekend (Sept 15). Has anyone been to one? How big is it, and how are the prices? I'm mainly looking for rare PS2 and GC games. I don't mind paying above eBay prices, but some used dealers have ridiculous prices.

Almost everyone who has booths at these things charges insane prices for the rare stuff.

There will be one or two vendors there who have normal prices, but get there early before their best stuff goes.

WEGGLES

I'm going to be moving to Kitchener/Waterloo once I finish school in London.

Any decent board game shops/comic shops?

Also, where are some decent places to live if I'm trying to avoid buying a car. I don't mind bussing or biking.

krae_man

0iTaRvh.gif

How bout that LRT huh?

Every day I have to take a new path to work because the road/path closures keep changing. Gotta stay on my toes.

Figured I'd see if there was any interest is resurrecting this now that we made the news

Top Bottom