• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack II in development for PS4, according to animator's résumé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Vita games don't sell, knack sold over 2 million.

Most those old IPs didn't sell either. Most exclusives don't, they are library fillers which get talked about far more later by very vocal fans then when they actually got released.

Knack sold over 2 million? I thought it was 1 million?

CC0pC9Z.gif

Best news I've heard in months...

;)

Synth

Sure. They keep calling it a platformer.

*mic drop, bitch*

LOL!

Only problem with this tho, is that this actually seems to be claimed by the defense more often than the detractors. There's a lot of "like Crash" followed by "it's nothing like Crash. Crash was actually a platformer" in here. Pick yo mic back up. :p

To be fair tho: just looking at 1 minute footage of Knack being played should have told you everything.

This mistake did not have to be made.

I actually did watch video footage of the game prior (and I was initially interested due to the footage shown at the PS4 reveal).

Watching a single minute of Knack does actually show you everything you need to know... except one important thing. You won't realise that it is in fact everything until you play if for 8+ hours and realise that 1 minute was all there really was.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Mark my words, if KnackII isn't the Ass CreedII equivalent of the franchise, I'll eat my hat.

I don't own a hat

MrHoot

We've seen nothing of this potential game, and it's already garbage, huh?

Tell us about Knack II.

We've seen Knack 1. I think that was the extent of the potential for that franchise

Most those old IPs didn't sell either. Most exclusives don't, they are library fillers which get talked about far more later by very vocal fans then when they actually got released.

Again, Knack released on a system which was selling overwhelming well, in a landscape where almost no other major games were being released for a long time, and it was into bundles. Of course it's going to "sell well". Doesn't indicate quality

Knack is not a good game. It's a mediocre title that got saved by the console release window and lack of competition on it's platform, and pushed super hard by fanboys. Not every license deserves a sequel, especially shit ones

I don't see why this is so surprising to people. They obviously think the game sold well enough and has a solid enough foundation (however average the first title might have been) to warrant a second try.

This isn't the first game with an average first offering to get a second chance at life. It could be really great this time around.

Oersted

Vita games don't sell, knack sold over 2 million.

Knack bundles were often the only way to get a PS4 at launch.

2016: Year of Nightmares

So, anyway, why do people think Knack outsold 3D World? Is this one of those platform wars things?

It outsold 3D World in UK. Sloppy threadtitles and Sony fans trolling did the rest.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
LOL at the people saying "you've never played it!" Why do people assume that? Isn't it possible people just didn't like it? Check my trophies if you really care that much, I platinumed the game. I have 7 friends who I regularly game with and bought the console at launch. Everyone got the game. 2 of them returned it after the negative reception my other friends gave it. 2 of us platinumed it. Only 1 of those 2 enjoyed it to an extent (myself). I would never pay 60 dollars for this game if it stacked up against any other titles. The only reason I got it was to have something to complete the buy 2 get 1. The selection was very bare for the first few months. Multiple of these friends actually post on here and can attest to how bad they thought it was. Hell my cousin didn't even finish the game... this is the same guy who completed Genji 2 on ps3 at launch sooooo.

Verendus

Banned
Knack got removed from the artist's resume......... that was fast
I told you that person probably had it there accidentally, and it was likely an honest mistake. This is why you shouldn't just search for any LinkedIn accounts to satiate your thirst. On the plus side, at least you contributed to cleaning up that profile and making it more accurate.

Good job. You did good.

If they made it more like Knack when he has collected all of his relics and could wreck shit up, fixed the crappy boss battles I might be interested. Knack was ok, not great but certainly wasn't a bad game.

I wouldn't make the next one so long either unless they mix it up a bit more too

What if Sony listed that on purpose to see if people really want the game and they're reading this thread right now?

Hi Shu.

They're playing us like a damn fiddle...

We've seen Knack 1.

My approach to all forms of media is that I don't like to assume something of something I've never seen.

Personally for me, there's been enough cases of games where an amazing first game completely blunders the sequel ( DMC, Hotline Miami) or terrible 1st games with a sequel that blows the 1st game out of the water ( ZOE, Saint's Row ) that I don't like to overly attach myself to assumptions that game X will be awesome/bad without at least some footage to highlight the vision of a product.

It's fair to be skeptical though. This is just me.

Kysen

Rather than use the 1st party money to get TLG out the door they are throwing it at an IP that only did well because it was a launch title.

Who is making decisions over at Sony? this has bomba written all over it.

Kyoufu

The Order 1888

2 years after the events sounds a better thing

What about...

The Order 2186

Knights of The Order must pursue and terminate Rogue Cyborgs who have escaped from an off-world colony. Now on Earth, it's up to Galahad and his Knights to terminate them before these Replicants can take down their creators, the government itself.

Cyberpunk setting.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What? Cerny always said Knack was a small side-project and meant to be a third or fourth tier pick-up.

He said it was like a secondary title not a 3rd and 4th tier. This was either the first or 2nd game EVER shown running on a ps4. They put it front and center at e3, and they were constantly talking about it as a primary launch title, because there was nothing else.

It's funny when people bring um Ryse, or The Order: 1886, etc.
We're talking about a small-budget Knack game and not about big AAA games with big marketing cash behind it. Making Knack makes a lot of sense. You can easily bundle it and you have a "family game" for the holidays.

And btw. what's here to hate? Don't like it? Don't buy it and move on. Tons of other dev studios out there to support. "Hate" makes no sense.

Hate? It's not about hate, this argument started, because people were questioning the financial decision and the resources wasted on a piss poor franchise such as Knack.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What about...

The Order 2186

Knights of The Order must pursue and terminate Rogue Cyborgs who have escaped from an off-world colony. Now on Earth, it's up to Galahad and his Knights to terminate them before these Replicants can take down their creators, the government itself.

Cyberpunk setting.

I would rather not. I enjoyed the setting, which I usually don't like that timeline in games.

Verendus

Banned
What about...

The Order 2186

Cyberpunk setting.
Oh, that was a good edit.

You improved this game's pitch by avoiding that dreadful word.

prwxv3

My approach to all forms of media is that I don't like to assume something of something I've never seen.

Personally for me, there's been enough cases of games where an amazing first game completely blunders the sequel ( DMC, Hotline Miami) or terrible 1st games with a sequel that blows the 1st game out of the water ( ZOE, Saint's Row ) that I don't like to overly attach myself to assumptions that game X will be awesome/bad without at least some footage to highlight the vision of a product.

It's fair to be skeptical though. This is just me.

This. And there are plenty of other games from Sony that could be more appealing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom