• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack II |OT| Knack-knack-knackin' On Heaven's Door

CrocoDuck

Beat the game yesterday. Took me about 12 hours. M one of the best game of the year for me. I just loved the animations, gameplay, smoothness and sleekness the presentation (UI and start menus, tutorial videos and static photos of knack)

I played the demo and actually quite liked it...had more depth than I expected and I appreciate how it feels more deliberate than most action platformers.

Is the gameplay in the demo indicative of the fuļl version?

Loudninja

I played the demo and actually quite liked it...had more depth than I expected and I appreciate how it feels more deliberate than most action platformers.

No actually its very early in the game so it gets much better going by the impressions and reviews.

Also it has alot of platforming.

Ultimadrago

I like to watch Knack get smashed to pieces in cinematics, so I've been deliberately failing a lot of the QTEs.

It's pretty amusing. I'd gif some of them if I could.

Shin-Ra

You gain several more major combat moves over the course of the game as well as upgrades for the existing ones. The demo's also very combat focused whereas the full game mixes in more platforming and fun but easy 'combat vehicle' sections.

You also get really big sometimes and its satisfying to just charge through tiny enemies that were once large and fearsome against Knack.

tonypark

Just finished the game and really good overall. I found it a little bit too long and repetetive but everything else was amazing!

silva1991

A solid 7 game imo now that I finished it

+ decent combat and overall fun gameplay
+ decent level design
+ great music

- atrocious protagonist. They should have at least redesign the thing
- boring characters all around
- the game overstayed it's welcome by alot. It had no right to be this long

I don't know about the first game, but this one is at worst ok and doesn't deserve to be hated.

Nah, you get way more abilities later.

PaulloDEC

Whew, done!

I'd probably call it a 7.5 overall. The weak storytelling, frequently lackluster art design and overall tendency to "play it safe" hold it back from greatness, but the massively improved combat and platforming make it a huge leap over the original. Great fun in co-op too, even (or perhaps especially) with someone who doesn't play too many games. It could stand to be a couple hours shorter, but I enjoyed my time with it nonetheless.

I like the setup that the ending lays out too;
exploring new lands and more importantly, exploring Knack's character. Fingers crossed we get a Knack 3 that spends some time exploring where this weird golem comes from, preferably by someone who aspires to produce something better than a C-grade Saturday morning cartoon.

oliverandm

On the 8th chapter so far. I think I was lucky to skip the 1st and simply experience the meme that was Knack. Getting into Knack 2 was a bit of a gamble, but I am happy I did, because this game reminds me of the ones I played as a kid. It has a lot of that PS1 platformer charm, though with significant depth to combat as the game progresses. Even the challenge is there; dumb mistakes causes fair deaths, so it's easy to understand what went wrong (often you know you did wrong before even ding). I like the change in environments the most. And the music is nice! Really a good game and though I still have other games in my top 3 of the year, this is probably amongst one of my 2017 favorites!

Drewfonse

The audiovisual presentation is fantastic in this game. Looks really sharp on the Pro. I'm playing in 30FPS mode because I like a sharper image, and it still controls and plays well.

Shin-Ra

The daytime urban, and factory style interiors still look sterile like K1 but natural, especially foliage heavy environments and the nighttime city stages look mostly excellent. I think the easy QTE's work well in allowing you time to watch and appreciate what Knack's doing, and action-hero-Knack's always funny.

Just beat the game on Normal. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it's a huge improvement over the first game.

+combat
+platforming
+silly story
+animation
+grand finale

-length
-scenery

Knack dancing to that beat in the credits is hilarious.

Everdred

This is an amazing show piece for share play. Just beat the game over a few days with my nephew across the country. We had a great time at no expense to him.

Raw64life

This game has turned out to be better than I thought it was gonna be, but man is it overstaying its welcome. By chapter 6-7 I was thinking the game was gonna be 10 chapters. Then I figured ok, 12. Then by chapter 13-4 titled "The Final somethingorother" I was sure this was it, but nope it just keeps going.

Even with the new moves you learn along the way it gets real repetitive and I've been ready for the game to end for a while now. And the garbage story, art style, characters, etc. sure aren't keeping me interested either. Thankfully
it turns out I'm now close to end for real this time
so I'll finish it just to say I finished it.

Drewfonse

I'm really, really enjoying this. Just started chapter 7. I'm not one to marathon games, so I'm playing a chapter or 2 at a time, and just enjoying myself. Solid 8 or 9/10 for me. Top 3 of the year.

Definitely more fun for me than the Ratchet remake, which I still liked. This just has more engaging combat and actual platforming, albeit relatively simple. And I'm even enjoying the story for what it is. It's not Shakespeare, but it's serviceable, and provides enough of a context to belly drop on goblins. It's not particularly funny, but doesn't really try to be, unlike games like Ratchet and Destiny 2, which try...and fail miserably at it.

Finally finished the game. I enjoyed it. The platforming gets more challenging towards the last few chapters which is cool but I would have preferred that earlier on. The combat is good but could have been better. Also having
32 feet
being the max height in the game is a little underwhelming.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This was actually very enjoyable, a kid's God of War if you will. It felt like a PS2-early PS3 game, but in a good way.

farisr

Started this up yesterday with a friend for the first time. Playing on very hard. We're enjoying it. Played for a couple of hours.

We started on Very Hard based off impressions of other players saying that Very Hard is basically the Hard of Knack 1 (which is what we played it on). It isn't. Very Hard in Knack 2 is absolutely harder than Hard in Knack 1.

Super stupid that you can't change the difficulty mid playthrough. I think we would've liked to switch down to Hard, because this last part of the game we played before stopping really kicked our ass and was the game was starting to become frustrating rather than fun.

Edit: So I spent about an hour and a 10 minutes making up the 2.5 hours worth of progress we did on Very Hard, skipping all the cutscenes and dying only like 3 times. It seems Hard may be a bit too easy. Damn... Oh well, at least it's ready for the next co-op session I have with my friend, whenever that is.

Lima

I got this for free during the store glitch (and am still surprised Sony hasn't taken the license away) so I decided to start playing this. I never played the first game but knew about the jokes and what not.

I have to say I'm actually enjoying this. I mean it's a pretty basic game but the animation when Knack transforms is pretty cool.
Think I will actually finish this.

Just completed it. This turned out to be a big surprise for me as someone who was disappointed in the original as I was expecting it to be a platformer and it ended up feeling more like an entry level GoW. While there's still certainly more combat than you'll find in a Mario game, this is actually a platformer now. And a really well made one as well. It honestly feels like the difference between ZoE and ZoE2. Where they stripped everything out and just left the essential elements there, and it ultimately made it a much better game.

There still still some things to fix if there's a third one. The main one being Knack's design. I'm honestly not even sure how they'd go about fixing the design since the ability for him to grow and fall apart is obviously critical to gameplay. But big Knack is just such an unattractive design. I like the human models and most of the enemy models are pretty solid as well. But really any of the models that require a character to be able to fall apart or change shapes like Knack just end up looking odd at best.

VLiberty

Yeah this is exactly what I wanted from Sony in the past years. A new series that would inherit the spirit of the Sony 3d adventures/platformers from the ps1 and ps2 days. This game gave me exactly those vibes and it's a shame it's "trapped" in the body of an ill-fated IP

It seems like, in the next years, I'll be asking for Knack 3 too, along with new Sly, Jak, Ape Escape and Medievil games... and neither of those will be acutally coming

Finally beat the game.

Without fail this is a rock solid 8.5/10. I'd put it right up there with Ratchet/Jak/Sly in terms of personal enjoyment and recommendation for fans of those titles. It's a leap forward in every conceivable way, even story. My remaining issues for the game are nitpicks, since I would gladly take a Knack 3 if it's a continuation of what Knack 2 has brought to the table.

Story
While there were fun moments and some good chemistry between characters, this aspect of the game continues to have the most missed potential. Character motivations are simply set up and then abandoned, or are addressed with a mere whimper.
Like the Doctor believing Lucas isn't "taking things seriously". Like, what motivated The Professor to say that? He comes off as a jerk as a result. If there was a scene where Lucas did fuck something up that causes the Prof to start doubting him, sure. And when Lucas ends up
saving the day with his makeshift ship, The Prof never has a moment with Lucas to apologize or reflect on judging his own assistant so harshly.
Even more, Lucas never apologizes for
betraying the Prof and handing Xander the artifact.
There's a lot to work with here and would function great as is with minor tweaks to the setup and payoff.
We also never find out what happened between Ryder and Katrina either. That in itself is a nice piece of unseen history that they don't really need to go into detail with, but the moment
Ryder and Katrina apologize to each other makes it something that they should actually go into detail about! Otherwise, what are they apologizing to each other for? And what about the infighting between (Gundahar?) and the high Goblin King or whatever, that went nowhere
And most importantly: Knack himself. What exactly is he thinking? What is his opinion on anything? Arguably the juiciest bit in the game is when Knack
tells Lucas to grow the fuck up after being hurt by Lucas said.
There's a moment in Knack 1 where the Goblin King (Gundahar?) or whoever tells Knack that he's being used by the Humans like a tool. And he was right! Why *does* Knack simply go along with everything, and why didn't this very valid question give Knack a moment of pause? At least the ending sort of sets up an exploration to this question now that it seems like
Knack is actually interested in his origins and others like him.

There's a lot that can be explored here. Who is he? Where did he come from? If he were to find entities like him, who would he side with when it came down to choosing between themselves and the Humans? Is the professor tampering and exploiting the ancient Relics for his own use (and the Humans for that matter) something that's right?

Set up a question/arc/plot, and actually pay it off. That's all the story in this game needs to really gel and motivate players to surge forward with curiosity on what's going to happen next.

Still though, the mo-cap actors did a great job, and some of my favorite moments were watching the little nuances and expressions in the acting, or background moments with Knack. Little running gags like watching Knack trying to get his pieces out of the plane were really charming and full of character. The voice acting was great (with Knack and Ryder being the standouts) and their interactions believable. The story just needs a through line with proper set up and payoff in character arcs and plot.

And finally, NO. MORE. GOBLINS.

Didn't expect to write this much about Knack's story of all things, but there you have it lol.

Stages
It feels like 50% of stages in the game were all caves/construction/rocks of some kind. They really need to up the variety somehow. This may be more budgetary however, but even Knack 1 had beautiful looking Lava and Ice stages.

This may be more linked to budgetary issues too, but I would love free control of the camera. I'm just not the biggest fan of fixed camera platformers like 3D Land/World, and would love true freedom movement ala Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter. Not a deal breaker, but I can dream.

Pacing
It puzzled me as to why people were calling this game too long, and why that would be a bad thing. But upon beating the last chapters, one can see why. It's not that it's "too long" but that the game builds up to an ending that turns out to be fake, and restarts all momentum for the real finale. Which is fine, but when you have a pre-finale as climactic as that was (fighting the titan, riding the ship, platforming IN THE TITAN HOLY SHIT) and derail it with a (THREE MONTHS LATER), I could see people thinking things are taking too long having expected an ending.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Really loved the game and only wish more people could give it a shot. A lot of Gaf is convinced this franchise isn't worth their time, but it's a shame that this preconception is preventing people from trying a legitimately great game. I really hope we get a Knack 3.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just finished this last night. Never played the first, but I was pretty entertained by this. It's a bit basic, but it's good fun. Feels like it's definitely for a younger audience.

One thing that bugged the hell out of me was this though - I'd spend time platforming/sneaking around, leaping over gears or running through tunnels, only to get to an area where Lucas or whoever would suddenly just appear trotting up behind me. Why did I bother going through all that and fighting a bunch of enemies if there was another route they were taking that avoided all that? It got comical towards the end, at one point in the final level I'd fought through waves of enemies and tackled all this platforming stuff, and then Lucas just flies his plane in or whatever to where I am - if he could fly over why didn't he just drop me off there? It just highlighted how pointless the human characters are in this.

Drencrom

Story
While there were fun moments and some good chemistry between characters, this aspect of the game continues to have the most missed potential. Character motivations are simply set up and then abandoned, or are addressed with a mere whimper.
Like the Doctor believing Lucas isn't "taking things seriously". Like, what motivated The Professor to say that? He comes off as a jerk as a result. If there was a scene where Lucas did fuck something up that causes the Prof to start doubting him, sure. And when Lucas ends up
saving the day with his makeshift ship, The Prof never has a moment with Lucas to apologize or reflect on judging his own assistant so harshly.
Even more, Lucas never apologizes for
betraying the Prof and handing Xander the artifact.
There's a lot to work with here and would function great as is with minor tweaks to the setup and payoff.
We also never find out what happened between Ryder and Katrina either. That in itself is a nice piece of unseen history that they don't really need to go into detail with, but the moment
Ryder and Katrina apologize to each other makes it something that they should actually go into detail about! Otherwise, what are they apologizing to each other for? And what about the infighting between (Gundahar?) and the high Goblin King or whatever, that went nowhere
And most importantly: Knack himself. What exactly is he thinking? What is his opinion on anything? Arguably the juiciest bit in the game is when Knack
tells Lucas to grow the fuck up after being hurt by Lucas said.
There's a moment in Knack 1 where the Goblin King (Gundahar?) or whoever tells Knack that he's being used by the Humans like a tool. And he was right! Why *does* Knack simply go along with everything, and why didn't this very valid question give Knack a moment of pause? At least the ending sort of sets up an exploration to this question now that it seems like
Knack is actually interested in his origins and others like him.

There's a lot that can be explored here. Who is he? Where did he come from? If he were to find entities like him, who would he side with when it came down to choosing between themselves and the Humans? Is the professor tampering and exploiting the ancient Relics for his own use (and the Humans for that matter) something that's right?

Set up a question/arc/plot, and actually pay it off. That's all the story in this game needs to really gel and motivate players to surge forward with curiosity on what's going to happen next.

Great post, there really are plotlines in Knack that are pretty interesting that they sadly don't address or delve more into. The beef between Lucas and the professor felt kinda unwarranted besides Lucas not being recognized for his actions in Knack 1 according to the whole Museum exhibition. Would've been interesting to see them acknowledge all that and a resolution.

I hope if there's a Knack 3 that they actually go into Knack and why he's helping the humans (besides Lucas being a close friend) and making him question the humans for keeping him around just for his abilities. They kinda touch on that subject it once or twice in the game with Knack making a joke about it always doing most of the work and him being mad at Lucas after his outburst.

NYmanutd

Just finished the game on hard difficulty, do i need to play it on very hard again to get the platinum or just one chapter?

Just finished the game on hard difficulty, do i need to play it on very hard again to get the platinum or just one chapter?

You only need to do one chapter. And you can actually do the first chapter with all of the abilities you've picked up with Knack during your first playthrough, which makes it even easier.

I’ve been enjoying playing this and I’m on the last chapter. But the weird complaint is, it outstays it’s welcome. It’s bloody long. And while for most games that shouldn’t be a complaint, I think it is here. And was it me or did they repeat a whole chapter?
Construction site wrecking ball
. I think if it was a fair bit shorter it would have been the happy medium. I’m playing it on normal and it’s still challenging but sometimes frustrating. Overall I’d probaly say it’s a decent 7/10 like the original. Fun, challenging, decent mix of platforming and combat, which as a game isn’t something we get very often these days.

VLiberty

I’ve been enjoying playing this and I’m on the last chapter. But the weird complaint is, it outstays it’s welcome. It’s bloody long. And while for most games that shouldn’t be a complaint, I think it is here. And was it me or did they repeat a whole chapter?
Construction site wrecking ball
I think if it was a fair bit shorter it would have been the happy medium. I’m playing it on normal and it’s still challenging but sometimes frustrating. Overall I’d probaly say it’s a decent 7/10 like the original. Fun, challenging, decent mix of platforming and combat, which as a game isn’t something we get very often these days.

Just a level actually, the first one. It's the prologue, set some time into the game story. I guess they wanted to kick off the game with an action-heavy set piece, I didn't mind but I liked the game pacing enough, unlike the first game which I had to drop even before half game because it was too boring

kendrid

Banned
What an insane feature. I'm surprised it's not talked about more.

I just learned about Share Play an hour ago and it is because of Knack II. My son was playing and a friend from school wanted to watch the stream so he started it. Then we saw the 'allow other to control' options and he picked co-op. Holy cow, his friend and him were able to play when his friend doesn't own the game.

Hey Sony - you should show this in your next conference and every conference after it. My son is already excited to play Rocket League with friends from school that don't own it.

In regards to Knack II, we liked the original and this overall seems better and more polished.

v0rtikal

just finished the game. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10... weird thing though, at the end some scenes just skipped, it was some kind of glitch.

I'm afraid I'd have to watch it on youtube to see if I missed something interesting.

I can join the "Beat Knack II" club now.

Games fine, I' give it a 7 out of 10 overall (Like most people it seems), played through the game on Hard Mode I like how the music dynamically builds as you progress along each level (along with you gradually getting bigger and stronger as well), some decent platforming bits and the secrets are generally hidden quite well in each level (I got about 72 of 100 in total). Combat could be better, I wish there was a better AOE attack than the Body Slam (Maybe the fully upgraded Body Slam is good, but I just went full on the
Boomerang ability
) and the story as well could be better to
Gundahar goes out like a chump, I know there is a Zandar's Robot battle right after and having two bosses back to back might have been weird, but still, could have been done much better.

One thing I found interesting was the PS Trophy breakdown, The number of people who have collected the trophy for beating the Final Boss was around 23%, that's quite high for any game I see, espicially considering how it's about 10-12 hours to beat the game. Might be a sign that the game didn't sell that well as well, but at least a large number who did get the game (Be it normally or through a certain Price Error on the Australian Store like me) went through all the way to the end of it.

Tizoc

A solid 7 game imo now that I finished it

+ decent combat and overall fun gameplay
+ decent level design
+ great music

- atrocious protagonist. They should have at least redesign the thing
- boring characters all around
- the game overstayed it's welcome by alot. It had no right to be this long

I don't know about the first game, but this one is at worst ok and doesn't deserve to be hated.

Nah, you get way more abilities later.

Agreed on those points. Granted I am about 2/3 of the way through but I'm already feeling the game overstaying its welcome.

Although I would disagree a bit on the music as I felt some tracks were uninspired.
Also the QTEs are dumb and should've just given you bonus exp if you succeed in them, otherwise tey shouldn't be a fail mechanic.

hawk2025

Just finished — That credits scene though! Funky, funky.

An easy 8.5/10. It’s criminal that this game bombed so hard.

Shin-Ra

I think there’s a new two-stage Japanese demo, with the second, additional stage being the first level after the intro in the full game. More platforming than combat focus.

Tizoc

Seems I'm in the final chapter (at last).
Aside from the game being longer than it should be it is a good Action Platformer.

Tizoc

I was very surprised to see that the game STILL went on even after I beat that boss, but all in all I enjoyed it even if the combat got rather stale late in the game.

I will say though that the game has some good boss fights.

Knack 2's biggest flaw is that it is longer than it had any right to be. That and going back to Mini Knack after the high of kicking butt as Knack in his biggest form is such a cockblock.
Also the QTEs that you HAVE to complete else you fail. This is so outdated and uninspired, just let the cutscene happen and REWARD ME FOR DOING THE PROMPTS WITH SOME EXP POINTS. At least then I'd be motivated to do these superflous inputs.
Seriously why do I gotta do QTEs in a modern game released in 2017?

I legit thought that
Xander was Lucas' uncle! it took me a very long while to realize that he was a villain from the first game, esp. as I've been skipping cutscenes because the plot barely interested me

Shin-Ra

I found the QTE's very easy with lots of reaction time and intuitive buttons. The best thing is you actually have time to watch action-Knack's silly antics, not just the button popups.

Top Bottom