• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
C6MwzyD.jpg

This is the type of art that's being entertained on the forum to be used more for Bloodstained.

I'm not sure why anyone would refuse, considering the following.

- The artist who helped with the Kickstarter campaign, Yuuji Natsume, has no more involvement with the main game as IntiCreates is no longer working on the main game, but the prequel.
- The artist of the above image, Mana, works at ArtPlay as a community manager. ArtPlay is IGA's studio.

100000 times yes. That speaks to me more like "related to Castlevania" than Natsume's art.

Hell yeah, that is super close to Kojima's style, and I love it. Better than any of the other art I've seen thus far.

Also cool to see our protagonist looking a little energized for once.

C6MwzyD.jpg

This is the type of art that's being entertained on the forum to be used more for Bloodstained.

- The artist who helped with the Kickstarter campaign, Yuuji Natsume, has no more involvement with the main game as IntiCreates is no longer working on the main game, but the prequel.
- The artist of the above image, Mana, works at ArtPlay as a community manager. ArtPlay is IGA's studio.

100000 times yes. That speaks to me more like "related to Castlevania" than Natsume's art.
Any news for the prequel? All the backers will get it or what?

Foffy

Banned

I believe it's planned to launch before the main game. At least that's what the 505 Community Manager alluded to a few weeks ago, IIRC. No idea if backers get it for free, or what tier that'll be.

The thing in the pipeline is a backer-only Alpha, based on the E3 demo. That should be out before the end of this year, I'd imagine.

Backers from $28 and up:
Kickstarter said:
PREQUEL MINI-GAME FOR CONSOLES [and portables]: Inti Creates is so excited about Bloodstained that they're hoping to create a 2D, pixel-based, retro-styled mini-game that sheds some light on the world of Bloodstained before Miriam awoke from her coma. This is a complete game which will be sold separately, but every $28+ backer copy of Bloodstained will come with a FREE download of this game on PS4, XB1, Wii U, or PC! (Backers at Physical+Digital tiers will be eligible for 2 copies of the mini-game.)

Eusis

Backers from $28 and up:
If there's no bonuses for the full game it would be neat to mix and match so you could get the main game on PC/PS4/XB1 but the prequel game on Switch. Even if it used UE4 as it'd be some Project Octopath like thing then (but it'd presumably still be full on 2D and not a hybrid, especially with Inticreates making it. Still, it'd be a hypothetical that'd make me go Switch still anyway.)

Foffy

Banned
If there's no bonuses for the full game it would be neat to mix and match so you could get the main game on PC/PS4/XB1 but the prequel game on Switch. Even if it used UE4 as it'd be some Project Octopath like thing then (but it'd presumably still be full on 2D and not a hybrid, especially with Inticreates making it. Still, it'd be a hypothetical that'd make me go Switch still anyway.)

What engine does Inti use for their 2D games like Gunvolt and Blaster Master Zero?

I imagine the prequel game is in that visual theming and nothing like Octopath.

Eusis

What engine does Inti use for their 2D games like Gunvolt and Blaster Master Zero?

I imagine the prequel game is in that visual theming and nothing like Octopath.
It was pretty much just a random hypothetical that came to mind where I'd still like to go Switch prequel/PC main game. Though really we'd need to see more period anyway.

I would think it most it'd most likely be built on the same tech as their other 2D pixel games.

C6MwzyD.jpg

read the thread over there and you'll see some dumbfuck making this a matter of principle

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
C6MwzyD.jpg

It looks awesome and all but even to an almost stranger to Castlevania like me that art looks a little too close to castlevania art
Castlevania-SOTN-Official-Game-Art.jpg
Alucard-Castlevania-SOTN.jpg

Paying homage is ok but this almost feels like fanart to me.

Who the hell is working on the main game, then?
A good while back they had announced DICO was coming in to help them finish the game. From what that post about Mana's art over at the Bloodstained forum seems to suggest, it sounds like even before that announcement DICO had been working on the main game, and that Inti had essentially only been involved in creating assets for the initial Kickstarter campaign. This apparently also meant Natsume, the artist they're campaigning to replace, hasn't been involved with Bloodstained all this time either...

Gbraga

A good while back they had announced DICO was coming in to help them finish the game. From what that post about Mana's art over at the Bloodstained forum seems to suggest, it sounds like even before that announcement DICO had been working on the main game, and that Inti had essentially only been involved in creating assets for the initial Kickstarter campaign. This apparently also meant Natsume, the artist they're campaigning to replace, hasn't been involved with Bloodstained all this time either...

That's really weird, I'm not sure how to feel about this. Well, at least this means the more recent footage we have was already with this team, and it looks fine, so I guess it's ok.

It looks awesome and all but even to an almost stranger to Castlevania like me that art looks a little too close to castlevania art
Castlevania-SOTN-Official-Game-Art.jpg
Alucard-Castlevania-SOTN.jpg

Paying homage is ok but this almost feels like fanart to me.

there is nothing about this game that can ever be too close to Castlevania, it's the whole fucking point of it even existing

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh my god. Sorry, super outta the loop but it's backer only or what?

No, it'll be available for separate purchase.

It's a stage-based pixel art game with 8-bit music that's set before the events of the main game; it was funded for consoles/PC and portables (including 3DS) but the eventual target platforms may change a little. Jake Kaufman (virt, the Shovel Knight guy) is helping out on the chiptunes for this game.

Based on recent comments over at the Bloodstained forum, it seems Inti is both developing and publishing the prequel game, so it's up to them to reveal it to the public.

Ahasverus

C6MwzyD.jpg

Looks Kojima-ish. Still horrible main character design, but it's not embarassing, yeah. Use this if you can't get real Kojima.

HardRojo

Why is a busty nun a problem but not the busty protag with a tattooed tit (
says number 13
)

What's wrong with a busty nun? Anything busty is a plus for me.

I don't mind the protagonist wearing an outfit like that and being busty, if she embraces it, then great, so ok, you already got a busty protagonist, why does the nun need to be another woman with way bigger than average boobs? (In fact it looks like the protagonist has smaller bust, which I appreciate) Why can't the nun's be of a smaller size? I wouldn't mind if her bust was of an average size, but they deliberately made them really big, you can't deny that, and I feel it takes away from her otherwise interesting design.

I don't mind the protagonist wearing an outfit like that and being busty, if she embraces it, then great, so ok, you already got a busty protagonist, why does the nun need to be another woman with way bigger than average boobs? Why can't they simply be of a smaller size? i wouldn't mind if her bust was of an average size, but they deliberately made them really big, you can't deny that, I feel it takes away from her otherwise interesting design.

titties

Foffy

Banned
Kojima is doing box art. I'm not entirely sure if it's a backer-only thing or not though.

I think certain tiers get Kojima's art. I don't believe backers get it for simply supporting the game.

Isn't Yoshitaka Amano doing something for certain tiers, too?

Heero5

I think certain tiers get Kojima's art. I don't believe backers get it for simply supporting the game.

Isn't Yoshitaka Amano doing something for certain tiers, too?
He's doing a charcoal picture at the $250 tier and he autographs it at like $900.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Why are we talking about busty nuns? This is ridiculous.

Anyway, I’m super excited for this game. I backed it for $150, but I’m thinking of raising it so I can get a digital and physical version. I want physical for my PS4, and digital for my Vita or Switch.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
there is nothing about this game that can ever be too close to Castlevania, it's the whole fucking point of it even existing

If anything, it could be closer still.

That fanart looks better than any official art I've seen so far.

My problem with that artwork being too close to castlevania artworks is that if i didn't know anything of this game i would have thought that it was an artwork for an indie fangame, not a game from Koji Igarashi himself with a decent budget.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It is, but it seems like an increasing number of Japanese developers feel like they have to add anime titties even to games where they don't make sense or fit the mood or aesthetic, in order to appeal to the otaku crowd. And yes, it's ridiculous, and I think it's probably not necessary for games releasing on Steam the way it might be for late-breaking console niche games or Vita games or what have you. But let's face it, once Nintendo went this direction with Fire Emblem of all games, it was all over.

That is true. I guess a “gothic romance” game in the vein of Castlevania, to me, feels like corsets and cleavage/bigger boobs don’t seem out of place. There are certainly other games where oversexualization of the characters feels more problematic. This game seems fairly tame by comparison to me.

Then again, me and my wife have been watching High School DxD for the past few weeks, so my radar may have short circuited...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah. I think it might've worked better if the character had a look and feel that meshed more strongly with a gothic romance vibe. To me the sort of soft-faced demure anime girl look doesn't really fit with that.

I mean, I don't expect they'll go very far into that territory. There's not going to be a scene where Miriam complains that her boobs aren't as big as the nun's. There's not going to be a scene where the nun is in the hot springs and someone is trying to peek at her naked or whatever. *shrug* It mostly just looks a little dumb. It's just annoying how this stuff has become so pervasive.

Yeah, I agree. We’ve been on an anime kick lately, and it’s gotten to the point where we wonder why we even bother watching some series, because they literally have every trope you just mentioned and then some.

I love anime, and have for decades, but quite a bit of it is embarrassingly juvenile.

Yeah, I agree. We’ve been on an anime kick lately, and it’s gotten to the point where we wonder why we even bother watching some series, because they literally have every trope you just mentioned and then some.

I love anime, and have for decades, but quite a bit of it is embarrassingly juvenile.

The "summoned to another world" genre is terrible for this.

As for the art, I like it. It's not pure castlevania, but it shows some charm and uniqueness I think.

Game from day one has given me a very Utena vibe to it, which is cool.

It is, but it seems like an increasing number of Japanese developers feel like they have to add anime titties even to games where they don't make sense or fit the mood or aesthetic, in order to appeal to the otaku crowd. And yes, it's ridiculous, and I think it's probably not necessary for games releasing on Steam the way it might be for late-breaking console niche games or Vita games or what have you. But let's face it, once Nintendo went this direction with Fire Emblem of all games, it was all over.

The new Fire Emblem games have sold amazingly well and saved the franchise from the dustbin so it's really weird to complain about the stuff they did to save it. I mean would you rather have Fire Emblem the way it is today or no Fire Emblem at all?

My problem with that artwork being too close to castlevania artworks is that if i didn't know anything of this game i would have thought that it was an artwork for an indie fangame, not a game from Koji Igarashi himself with a decent budget.

which isn't a problem since this primarily is a game for Castlevania fans

a crowdfunded game even, one of the main benefits is being able to disregard mass appeal entirely

Giolon

which isn't a problem since this primarily is a game for Castlevania fans

a crowdfunded game even, one of the main benefits is being able to disregard mass appeal entirely

Bloodstained wasn't 100% crowdfunded though. It was planned to be only 10% crowdfunded as a show of proof that a market existed for the game. We don't know how the massive success altered that deal, but I'd hope it's safe to say that the backers are the primary audience.

Personally, I love that artwork from Mana and feel like it should be adopted as official art.

Ahasverus

This is Castlevania for all intents and purposes. Hell, I'm half expecting Dracula to be the bad guy, they can use it. It's kinda great.

Thought that woman on the left was preggie with the baby riding high (a boy by first look). But it's just your average everyday big tittied librarian/nun isn't it?

This is Castlevania for all intents and purposes. Hell, I'm half expecting Dracula to be the bad guy, they can use it. It's kinda great.

I seem to recall that Iga is on the record as saying Dracula is NOT the antagonist of this game because he doesn't want it to be exactly 100% just like Castlevania...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The "summoned to another world" genre is terrible for this.

As for the art, I like it. It's not pure castlevania, but it shows some charm and uniqueness I think.

Game from day one has given me a very Utena vibe to it, which is cool.

Lol! Totally. Summoned to another world in general is incredibly overdone as well.

I also think the art is lovely. Utena is such a weird show, but I enjoy it. I think we were about 15-20 episodes into it before we got distracted with another show.

Top Bottom