• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

RM8

Anything looking like jojo is ok by me.
No offense but people say this to defend all kinds of terrible poses / animations. Like Juri's downright painful pose during the character selection screen in SFV - people were calling it out for being bad, and the only defense was "but Jojo!". I've never seen Jojo but now I'm convinced it aims to have the worst poses / animations possible, lol. In the end the goal should be Castlevania, not one obscure Japanese cartoon.

Anyway this is not looking hot IMHO. And I agree that her new voice clip for when she's "attacked" by a crystal is silly.

Venfayth

The point about the sword attack speed is moot because different swords in both games have different attack speeds. It's an RPG mechanic and there will be a variety of swords with different properties in Bloodstained. Just like in SOTN. Comparing them is disingenuous.

There are swords even slower than Miria's in sotn, iirc.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Which of these two games do you guys think will down in history as having the most beautiful 2D graphics/artwork.....Bloodstained or Cuphead?

lupinko

No offense but people say this to defend all kinds of terrible poses / animations. Like Juri's downright painful pose during the character selection screen in SFV - people were calling it out for being bad, and the only defense was "but Jojo!". I've never seen Jojo but now I'm convinced it aims to have the worst poses / animations possible, lol. In the end the goal should be Castlevania, not one obscure Japanese cartoon.

Anyway this is not looking hot IMHO. And I agree that her new voice clip for when she's "attacked" by a crystal is silly.

Lol obscure Japanese cartoon.

Jojo is one of the longest running and most popular mangas (since the 80s, so about almost as old as Castlevania actually). And the recent anime adaptations have made it even more popular than ever.

Also the JoJo poses just come from famous musicians like Freddie Mercury, Prince, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, etc...

Crocodile

Slandering Jojo? Obscure? I will not stand for such nonsense! This is Jojo and it is ART (and silly and good and super influential given its been going on for 30+ years):

163cde06557b348942bcf539817b2312.jpg

KlNKc60.jpg

the-jojo-poses.jpg

"Posing" is a frequent occurrence in the series. Does it always make sense? No. Is it cool as fuck? Yes.

As an aside, the Castlevania series has referenced Jojo before. The Stone Mask is an item in SOTN if I recall correctly, the boss Zephyr in Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin is based on the Jojo character Dio, etc. There are Jojo references and influences ALL over the anime/manga/video game industry. I know you're a Street Fighter fan. You know the designs of characters like Guile and Rose are based on Jojo characters right? Juri is based in part on a Jojo character (though I can't recall if this was confirmed as it was for the other examples I mentioned).

EDIT: Looks like I got beat to the punch :p

nynt9

Your ignorance is not basis for dismissing Jojo. It has been immensely influential to most anime and games after it. Persona's premise is directly based on it, even Castlevania games take influence from it. SOTN has a direct Jojo reference. Zephyr from Dawn of Sorrow uses a Jojo quote when you stop time. Aria of Sorrow also has a soul that quotes Jojo. Several major street fighter characters are based on Jojo characters. DMC, Bayonetta, Dark Souls all have designs based on Jojo. Many animations from many Japanese games reference Jojo.

You are straight up wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.

petran79

Banned

Jojo is one of the longest running and most popular mangas (since the 80s, so about almost as old as Castlevania actually). And the recent anime adaptations have made it even more popular than ever.

Also the JoJo poses just come from famous musicians like Freddie Mercury, Prince, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, etc...

Also poses from fashion magazines.

Still Jojo in the West became popular much later with the manga,the video games and the series. Even during the Western release of the Dreamcast fighting game it was obscure and unknown. There were only two OVAs and the English manga of SDC, not that popular either. So I understand the confusion.

RM8

Oh my god what have I done.

I mean, my mistake is speaking from my experience, but as someone who doesn't like anime I know about the existence of Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, and similar mainstream shows. I legit have never seen Jojo and I don't think I've come acreoss someone who is visibly into Jojo. Since I have an interest in Japanese games, and I live in Japan, I honestly think Jojo is not a very mainstream thing and I keep my stance that this game should be emulating Castlevania first.

Slandering Jojo? Obscure? I will not stand for such nonsense! This is Jojo and it is ART (and silly and good and super influential given its been going on for 30+ years):

"Posing" is a frequent occurrence in the series. Does it always make sense? No. Is it cool as fuck? Yes.

As an aside, the Castlevania series has referenced Jojo before. The Stone Mask is an item in SOTN if I recall correctly, the boss Zephyr in Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin is based on the Jojo character Dio, etc. There are Jojo references and influences ALL over the anime/manga/video game industry. I know you're a Street Fighter fan. You know the designs of characters like Guile and Rose are based on Jojo characters right? Juri is based in part on a Jojo character (though I can't recall if this was confirmed as it was for the other examples I mentioned).

EDIT: Looks like I got beat to the punch :p

Your ignorance is not basis for dismissing Jojo. It has been immensely influential to most anime and games after it. Persona's premise is directly based on it, even Castlevania games take influence from it. SOTN has a direct Jojo reference. Zephyr from Dawn of Sorrow uses a Jojo quote when you stop time. Aria of Sorrow also has a soul that quotes Jojo. Several major street fighter characters are based on Jojo characters. DMC, Bayonetta, Dark Souls all have designs based on Jojo. Many animations from many Japanese games reference Jojo.

You are straight up wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.
You have showed me that Jojo has influenced some games. Now convince me that dumb, unfitting poses are a good fit for literally every Japanese game ever. If people are complaining about them, it's because silly nonsensical "Jojo poses" aren't a perfect match for everything.

See, this pose (Juri) is so bad that some people literally thought it was a placeholder. It looks particularly terrible with one of her outfits because of the clipping and the overall absurdity of this pose. All the criticism aimed at this pose was deflected with "but Jojo!", and it honestly doesn't work like that. I don't care if it's just like one of your Japanese animes, it looks bad to me, period. Game characters are indeed supposed to be cool and there's some exaggeration to their movement because of this - but it has to make sense within the context, I disagree that you can shoehorn any random, unfitting pose anywhere and it's automatically good.

petran79

Banned
See, this pose (Juri) is so bad that some people literally thought it was a placeholder. It looks particularly terrible with one of her outfits because of the clipping and the overall absurdity of this pose. All the criticism aimed at this pose was deflected with "but Jojo!", and it honestly doesn't work like that. I don't care if it's just like one of your Japanese animes, it looks bad to me, period. Game characters are indeed supposed to be cool and there's some exaggeration to their movement because of this - but it has to make sense within the context, I disagree that you can shoehorn any random, unfitting pose anywhere and it's automatically good.

Works much better this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0kJbMqTPTM

I love Jojo and y'all need to chill lmao

And Jojo poses don't work on every form of media ever, defending bad character animation because "lol the jojos wryyy" is just embarrassing.

Oh my god what have I done.

I and I live in Japan, I honestly think Jojo is not a very mainstream thing and I keep my stance that this game should be emulating Castlevania first.

Wait what? You live in Japan and never bumped into a Jojo fan? What part of Japan are we talking about here? I live in Tokyo and I have bumped into more than a few Jojo fans. Hell it was in the top 30 for manga sales last year...

Sorry for the tangent, I just thought what your wrote was really odd compared to my experience.

RM8

Wait what? You live in Japan and never bumped into a Jojo fan? What part of Japan are we talking about here? I live in Tokyo and I have bumped into more than a few Jojo fans. Hell it was in the top 30 for manga sales last year...

Sorry for the tangent, I just thought what your wrote was really odd compared to my experience.
I'm in Tokyo too! That being said my friends are not really into anime either, and the ones that are, prefer other stuff from what I've seen.

bumpkin

As an animator I'm going to agree with everything said in this blog, and doing like he suggests (watching the youtube video at 1.5 speed) really improves the feel of the game. It still has a ton of problems outside of that though.
Yeah, I think 1.25 speed is the sweet spot. 1.5 feels too fast to me.

Crocodile

New Bloodstained Community Broadcast featuring Angel-Corlux (brand manger of Bloodstained from 505 Games)

I link it because a lot of good questions were answered. Timestamps below:

0:00:00 Welcome & Introduction of 505 Games Angel-Corlux
0:02:55 505 Games teamed up with IGA-san, why?
0:06:00 Will Bloodstained 2 use kickstarter?
0:07:53 You can still back and get the pre-order, have the goals grown?
0:09:10 Wii U to Switch, Amiibo's coming?
0:10:35 Will 505 Games give out Bloodstained merchandise in the future?
0:11:49 Bloodstained at gamescom? No, but events are coming!
0:12:21 The movementspeed & abilities of Miriam
0:14:40 Does 505 Games have any creative input?
0:16:40 Metacritic verdicts thoughts?
0:18:03 No restrictions for IGA-san about development
0:18:37 How does the brand & IP work between creator & publisher?
0:20:30 Fans creative requests - Where to draw the line?
0:22:19 Interactivity Vs Visuals: Igavania's eye of details
0:24:37 Marketing: Wide target of gamers or Igavania gamers?
0:25:34 IGAvaniacs meme was born
0:26:06 Angel-Corlux favorit Castlevania sub-weapon
0:27:27 Sword or Whip?
0:28:18 Angel-Corlus favorit SotN + Bloodstained aspect
0:30:27 Will Miriam have unique movements similar to Alucard?
0:31:24 What have been learned from Mighty No. 9?
0:33:10 Any plans to use and intergrate speedrunners requests?
0:34:50 What happend to the monthly kickstarter updates?
0:36:00 Can we expect cameos, like Shovel Knight or Shantae?
0:37:13 Are (the enemy) Morte replacement of skeletons?
0:37:51 Have some weapons and spells button input codes?
0:39:00 How much will the alpha show if its playable?
0:39:40 Transformations in the game?
0:39:45 Does familiars have personalities?
0:40:15 Is the levelcap still 255?
0:41:08 The shard animations & settings
0:42:12 Are there any shields in the game?
0:42:45 Goofball Defence Force unite!
0:43:45 Early Alpha Access: Backer Exclusive Status?
0:44:55 Physical expectations about boxes and such?
0:45:55 When can we pre-order on console and steam?
0:46:24 Quality on the physical packages?
0:47:19 Was Angel-Corlux around when the kickstarter started?
0:48:16 Ayami Kojima poster?
0:49:25 IGA ring
0:50:19 A thing to look forward to: Weapons!
0:52:30 How do 505 Games and Artplay communicate & connect?
0:53:20 Screenshot comparison Church, why change?
0:55:24 Attack faster / Speedrun tricks
0:55:51 Favorit environment thus far?
0:56:34 Sequence-breaks & tricks to glitch out
0:57:34 Saveroom to be multi-purposed?
0:57:56 Allowing modding?
0:59:09 Angelic & Demonic costume for Miriam?
0:59:59 Why drop bags in game and not items directly?
1:00:58 Crafting & Forging
1:01:55 Wall-meat or wall-mac?
1:02:16 Will the 'Retro Level' use 'Prequel's' assets?
1:02:40 Any stretch goals cut?
1:03:10 New Game Plus, continue with or without items?
1:03:38 Cross-platforming play?
1:04:14 The prequel, how far in development & release?
1:05:02 Familiars staying all blue or not?
1:05:30 "Biggest Castle"?
1:06:13 --- Live Chat Q&A starts ---
1:06:38 Bloodstained budget situation?
1:08:08 About Mana, our Communication Manager
1:10:30 Food items?
1:11:02 The Bell in the 2017 Church E3 Demo!?
1:13:05 Influences on the game design?
1:16:42 Steampunk elements in Bloodstained?
1:17:15 First prototype starfish enemy, where is it?
1:17:59 Miriams room & castle customization?
1:19:00 Easter eggs about Castlevania?
1:21:16 Character shader final?
1:22:36 Any leaderboards for competitive?
1:24:17 Achievement system?
1:24:48 Staggered content or not?
1:25:41 Loading-times & framerates?
1:26:31 Will streaming the alpha/beta be allowed?
1:27:30 Pure Miriam, how do we get that costume?
1:28:22 The player menu information
1:29:10 Any Nintendo Switch & PS Vita issues?
1:30:27 Older movie references? B-movie monsters?
1:31:14 Playable characters reveal before launch?
1:33:20 Example of something we did not think about asking?
1:34:15 Whipsword viable the whole playthrough?
1:35:14 Ippo Yamada still making music to the game?
1:36:00 PS Vita + PS4 cross-save?
1:36:49 Rare weapons, rare materials or both?
1:37:05 The female "assets" challenges?
1:41:40 Miriam's character design
1:44:14 Miriam's crystal curse, does that detail matter?
1:45:18 "What is a man?"
1:45:48 Newschannel for the Switch?
1:46:32 The IGA quality
1:47:11 The Nightmare Mode
1:48:39 Hayter & Belgrade still attached to the game?
1:49:45 The demon-boss Gremori
1:51:03 A thank you & fan creation appreciation
1:52:08 Bloodstained arm cast
1:52:14 Talking about DICO
1:53:00 Mana joining the discord-chat
1:54:04 About guns & ammo in Bloodstained
1:56:03 When Adi Shankar visit Artplay
1:59:00 Thank you, look forward on more news!

Cleve

there is plaayable demo on GamerCon in jeddah/saudi arabia today
people are saying it's very very good

https://twitter.com/SwordOrWhip/status/908032455302512640

"Bloodstained will be playable @GamersConSA in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia! http://gamersconsa.com/activities.php# we hope all our fans in the ME get to attend!"

i think it's new demo
i will go tomorrow to try it my self,didn't really liked the demo they gave for the backers.

Waiting excitedly here. How big is GamersConSA? Kind of surprised they'd show off a new demo there and not wait for E3.

L.O.R.D

Waiting excitedly here. How big is GamersConSA? Kind of surprised they'd show off a new demo there and not wait for E3.

this is the first GamersCon exp,there is several other expo like gamer day and comic con and TG EXPO (true-gaming)
but this time TG EXPO decide to Co-op with other company for events to make this GamerCon.

but it the biggest event for gaming in saudi arabia.

Finally a new update, and it's the japanese voice cast!

Pretty solid I think, glad to see Ami Koshimizu as the mc, that's a great choice.

Link to the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1987248

I like that Glitter Force Doki Doki is listed as one of the Japanese voice acting credits...

I also chuckled at Ryotaro Okiayu credited as "Mysterious Man". Okiayu was also Alucard/Arikado in Castlevania (and apparently voiced Trevor in the Netflix Castlevania Japanese dub)...

That is a great cast, hot damn. Cannot wait for this game, if VO is done that's a good sign things are going well!

I have faith in this game. 60 dollars invested. Please don't mighty me Iga.
I wish people would stop invoking Mighty No 9 every other day when something new happens with Bloodstained.

They've proven time and time again this is not the same case. They've been upfront from day one, appeared on two E3s and provided two playable demos. One of those even as far as gave to every backer from $60 and beyond. Jury's still out if the game will be great but from all this alone we know it isn't going to be a MN9 shitshow so please stop.

Giolon

Ami Koshimizu!? There’s no better choice. She’s my favorite! I’ll be using Japanese voices for this for sure if they give us the option.

Make me wonder about the English casting choices, but Japan's is rock solid. Hopefully it ships with both language options.

Wish we had gotten the e3 demo as backers this year, but it must have been too rough for mass consumption.

Very good cast

Solid choices , experimented people . I'm not worried about the story as long as the gameplay is good. but it's great to see that some care is given on that aspect too.

Yazuka

She was great in Tales of Berseria IMO.

Fingers crossed they reference Phantom Blood in some way with him.

Oh, yes. I like her too. I unlike many others it seems actually like English dubs in games. So I'm all for her being in the role as Miriam.

Ultimadrago

Just got an e-mail about this "Operation: Art Legacy". In shorter, Mana, the community manager at Artplay makes good art and XombieMike of the Bloodstained Forums wants her to become a key promo artist on the project, saying that it'll likely improve the marketing for the game?

I voted Yes because the art does look good, but it just seems like a weird operation to me. Just reading it and I'm like..."Okay...what." It rubs me in a strange way.

Foffy

Banned
C6MwzyD.jpg

This is the type of art that's being entertained on the forum to be used more for Bloodstained.

I'm not sure why anyone would refuse, considering the following.

- The artist who helped with the Kickstarter campaign, Yuuji Natsume, has no more involvement with the main game as IntiCreates is no longer working on the main game, but the prequel.
- The artist of the above image, Mana, works at ArtPlay as a community manager. ArtPlay is IGA's studio.

100000 times yes. That speaks to me more like "related to Castlevania" than Natsume's art.

Top Bottom