• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima, Fukushima, Murata and whatever happened to MGS after Snake Eater

Fukushima might be a really good editor and possibly what Kojima needs but Kojima discusses some of the most interesting themes I have encountered in video games and movies. As a game designer he's probably the best I have seen. TPP's gameplay is stunning regardless if there was more content or if there are repetitive missions. Fukushima can't simply do a Metal Gear on his own and that goes for anyone else too. You can try but goodluck with that. We've already seen what Metal Gear looks like without Kojima and it wasn't good.

I agree about MGS1 to 3 (genes, memory, hyper-reality, patriotism vs. beliefs, etc.)

But not about MGS4 or 5.
Wolbachia parasites as a retcon/"science explanation" to 75% of the series supernatural stuff is just retarded and is so unnecessary on so many levels

There is an element to the MGS5
parasites
which is VERY interesting
(language being an analogy and the primary function of a culture and identity)
, but it is not nearly as well presented as what is offered in MGS1/2/3.

brau

GTA games got bigger but never changed their formula. GTA 5 is just another GTA on a bigger map. It is still a pseudo sandbox game that has been following the same linear mission structure since GTA 3. They are playing it safe

GTAV now has 3 player you can switch from, it added first person view, in addition to being able to record and do direction to tell stories. It has a very fledged out environment and location. It might be the same formula but they are not the same game. They really do iterate and they sell even with each iteration of the specific game. So they must be doing something right. No matter which way you see it they are good games. Its the same with MGS... it iterates by adding elements that change the way you play the games.

Making a single game within its own framework is easy. I'll be really impressed If they can make 4 bastion and 4 journey and 3 shovel knight without losing their fan base interest

Why would they need more entries tho? the game set out to do something and they did. Bastion came out with another entry that did fairly well and i am pretty sure they will keep working on something memorable.

well that is what kojima has been doing all these years. MGS2 is not MGS1, MGS3 is a sandbox that ditched the PC-man style gameplay of previous mgs. PW introduced RPG elemnts and MGSV is an 200 hour open world RPG not your typical 15 year MGS exp

Pretty sure Kojima would tell you that he rather be working on a new IP after MGS2. We already know his sentiments and how Konami had him work on more MGS because it sold. Each game certainly brings something new to the table but its not specific to the franchise. PW was made because Kojima liked Monster Hunger setup. It even had the same control layout lol. MGS wanted to go open like other sandbox games. I mean... he pushes the genre for sure.

Bayonetta 2 could rise it further like bayonetta did

Platinum does what it does best, and it iterates on that. Wonderful 101 was awesome, Bayonetta as well, even the Transformers game. I want to see what they do with the TNMT brand, even if i think the turtles look weird.

Ratrat

Everyone Check out the 3 part interview with MGS2/Ghost Babel localizer/translator, Agness Kaku. She says the best script she ever got from Konami was Ghost Babel's... Who wrote Ghost Babel? Fukushima. Case Closed.
No, she only likes the script because of the Radio Program. Babel staff:

ORIGINAL PLANNING AND STORY BY
 HIDEO KOJIMA

WRITTEN & CONSTRUCTED BY
 TOMOKAZU FUKUSHIMA

RADIO PROGRAM "IDEASPY 2.5" WRITTEN BY
 SHUYO MURATA:140.07

DIRECTED BY
 SHINTA NOJIRI

So basically she's praising the guy who co wrote MGS4, Peace Walker and MGSV. Case Reopened.

I don't see how the slow motion is pointless in MGSV. 95% of the cutscenes in MGSV are one take. They have no cuts or sudden fade outs. It's definitely a far more ambitious approach to cutscenes compared to most video games on the market. Would a scene like this have the same impact if it ran at full speed the whole time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2kVJrlaHuA&t=8m25s (spoilers)

The slow motion emphasises the potential apocalypse and the inner conflict within Snake. The dramatic impact would fall flat if the entire scene zoomed by without any focus on the door and Snake's face. For many other scenes in MGSV, the action moves incredibly fast, so the movements need to be slowed to emphasise certain activities. A lot of these slowed down moments are used to enhance the tension or focus certain actions more clearly. It's fine to dislike such an exaggerated stylistic choice, but to call it pointless is false.

Ratrat

So whats this about Kojima feuding with staff and throwing them out? Source?
That was an enlightening read, thank you. Kojima really handled Hayter poorly.
What obligation does he have to someone the US localization team hired for a dub? I thought they never even met.
Not surprising really given his name shares space with the brand and is plastered anywhere it can be fit. He is elevated by the press, marketing, and PR as a luminary icon as much as possible, while everyone else on the development team gets no real attention. GAF is more saavy, but even casual gamers could probably equate his name to the brand through sheer osmosis, not so with anyone else on his team.

Granted his concept for the franchise has earned adoration and respect from millions, so there is credit due, but I fully agree with the OP that this shouldn't make him infallible in terms of the series management.
There is that, and there is veering in the opposite direction with little to go off of.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It is weird when people consider that kojima is THE metal gear.

Sometimes looks like people think that kojima is an indie developer doing metal gear alone =P

Not surprising really given his name shares space with the brand and is plastered anywhere it can be fit. He is elevated by the press, marketing, and PR as a luminary icon as much as possible, while everyone else on the development team gets no real attention. GAF is more saavy, but even casual gamers could probably equate his name to the brand through sheer osmosis, not so with anyone else on his team.

Granted his concept for the franchise has earned adoration and respect from millions, so there is credit due, but I fully agree with the OP that this shouldn't make him infallible in terms of the series management.

Bolivar687

Banned
I admire the effort in the OP but I couldn't disagree more with most of its points.

You can't say anti-Americanism took a backseat when MGS4 tackled the ongoing privatization of America's military; when Peace Walker idolized General Sandino and Che Guevara, with Big Boss contracting Outer Heaven to help the FSLN; or when MGSV begins in Guantanamo Bay.

I understand why Quiet offends people but I would never say the series handled women more tastefully before.

Explanation has always been a staple of the series - part of what made the original games so compelling was how well-researched they were. There is still plenty of mystery with the Peace Walker AI and the Man on Fire.

The technology in the prequels is not more advanced than the future games. You're developing the prototypes and they are notably more crude and unreliable than their future iterations.

To me, Kojima is in a weird category of developers, which he shares with Bethesda Game Studios and Polyphony Digital. These teams deliver enormous games overflowing with content which garner astronomical review scores and retail sales. Yet they also receive intense scrutiny from their online communities. I think the fan passion and expectations are so overwhelming that we criticize these games based on what we wish they were rather than taking them as they actually are.

I'm sure Fukushima made a positive impact on the games he worked on but I really think people are unfairly downplaying the achievements of Kojima's later body of work.

KOMANI

KOMANI
No, she only likes the script because of the Radio Program. Babel staff:

ORIGINAL PLANNING AND STORY BY
 HIDEO KOJIMA

WRITTEN & CONSTRUCTED BY
 TOMOKAZU FUKUSHIMA

RADIO PROGRAM "IDEASPY 2.5" WRITTEN BY
 SHUYO MURATA:140.07

DIRECTED BY
 SHINTA NOJIRI

So basically she's praising the guy who co wrote MGS4, Peace Walker and MGSV. Case Reopened.
Yep, I corrected it posts later.
Edit: the planning and story by hideo Kojima, lest anyone thinks it means he helped write Ghost Babel, he didn't. That just means he created Metal Gear.
Fukushima and Murata are solely responsible for GB.
I just think that as the series went on, Kojima easily out wrestled the writer, and how could he lose? He created Metal Gear. How many franchises are still going on from the 8 bit era, that's not from Nintendo.
Murata won't say anything because he probably still works for Kojima, and Fukushima is AWOL. The closest thing we have to piece together Kojima the artist, besides the actual games, are Shinta Nojiri and Rika.

Ratrat

Yep, I corrected it posts later.
Edit: the planning and story by hideo Kojima, lest anyone thinks it means he helped write Ghost Babel, he didn't. That just means he created Metal Gear.
Fukushima and Murata are solely responsible for GB.
Since your stance seems to be that Kojima is so bad he ruined Murata's work on MGS4, PW and MGSV, what are your thoughts on Snatcher and Policenauts, or how much of Murata's solo work have you read or listened to?

This is pretty funny as it seems to suggest Murata is the only decent writer at Konami, Fukushima included:
It's easily the only decent piece of writing in the Metal Gear franchise.
I need to finish Ghost Babel one day.

I just think that as the series went on, Kojima easily out wrestled the writer, and how could he lose? He created Metal Gear. How many franchises are still going on from the 8 bit era, that's not from Nintendo.
Murata won't say anything because he probably still works for Kojima, and Fukushima is AWOL. The closest thing we have to piece together Kojima the artist, besides the actual games, are Shinta Nojiri and Rika.
So pure speculation. Pretty sure Kojima and Nojiri are friends so you'll be waiting a while before they try discrediting each other.
Honestly, I'm still wondering where this feud idea is from? Is there actually anything to suggest there is bad blood here? Like you make it sound like Fukushima was kicked out and Murata is being threatened...which is disturbing.

Chola

Banned
GTAV now has 3 player you can switch from, it added first person view, in addition to being able to record and do direction to tell stories. It has a very fledged out environment and location. It might be the same formula but they are not the same game. They really do iterate and they sell even with each iteration of the specific game. So they must be doing something right. No matter which way you see it they are good games. Its the same with MGS... it iterates by adding elements that change the way you play the games.

GTA adds few things but they don't alter the gameplay at that much. Linear level design, linear story progress, minimaps, driving etc. Meanwhile in MGS, 3 made levels bigger and removed the radar, now its a proper stealth game not a Pacman game. PW and MGSV are not 15 hours games, they are RPG that requires a lot of time investment which lot of fans HATE. what am iI saying is MGS/Kojima/Fans are not scared of changes.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Since your stance seems to be that Kojima is so bad he ruined Murata's work on MGS4, PW and MGSV, what are your thoughts on Snatcher and Policenauts, or how much of Murata's solo work have you read or listened to?
Policenauts suffers from the same exposition dump. Snatcher is good, but hideo had nothing to with the localization. Same goes for MGS.
I always thought Murata was a shit writer until I read the Kaku and Nojiri interviews. The spy 2.5 is actually good. Btw, I never mentioned actual games. I think PW is fine, it's tone is all over the place but it could be the best PSP
Game. I think GZ is also good, and it helps with the small scope.

Ratrat, when you replay GB, try and get all the optional calls. 2 of them get reaaaal deep into Snakes thoughts. GB, although non cannon, works as a prologue to mgs2.

Ratrat

Policenauts suffers from the same exposition dump. Snatcher is good, but hideo had nothing to with the localization. Same goes for MGS.
I always thought Murata was a shit writer until I read the Kaku and Nojiri interviews. The spy 2.5 is actually good. Btw, I never mentioned actual games. I think PW is fine, it's tone is all over the place but it could be the best PSP
Game. I think GZ is also good, and it helps with the small scope.

Ratrat, when you replay GB, try and get all the optional calls. 2 of them get reaaaal deep into Snakes thoughts. GB, although non cannon, works as a prologue to mgs2.
I dont get this. By this standard you cant judge any of them unless you play in Japanese or have the exact same translator under the same conditions. From what Ive seen MGS2 isnt faithful at all for instance. How did Murata prevent Kojima from ruining PW and GZ in your opinion? What of writer #3 in TPP?

edit: thats quite the buildup for a GBC game. MG1 had like no writing.

Saven

Banned
I definitely think Fukushima had a huge play into why the trilogy was very beloved story-wise. After he left, I personally felt the story dropped big time. I thought MGSV was a little better than the last two, but it wasn't at the glorious level where the series once was.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I dont get this. By this standard you cant judge any of them unless you play in Japanese or have the exact same translator under the same conditions. From what Ive seen MGS2 isnt faithful at all for instance. How did Murata prevent Kojima from ruining PW and GZ in your opinion? What of writer #3 in TPP?

edit: thats quite the buildup for a GBC game. MG1 had like no writing.
No, you're right, I can't really judge it because of the localization. At least not the earlier works, because the later works are 1:1 localization. But even with different localization (Policenauts done by a group of fans), it doesn't hide the huge exposition dumps. Snatcher is more gamey, and it works.
I think GZ is simple, not enough space to go haywire and plus the real meat is TPP, so TPP took a hit for GZ.
For PW, it's just a fun portable titles, so any ridiculousness gets swept under the quirky Metal Gear rug. Both have less to do with Murata and more to do with the restrictions of the platform they're respectfully on (portable game and extremely small game).

KOMANI

KOMANI
New post for a different subject... It's a shame the Ghost Babel team never got to do another game because it fits in perfectly with the first 4 main games (mg2, MGS, mgs2, mgs3). Murata shouldn't have been selected director over Nojiri who directed Ac!d 2 and GB. But then again, he might not have wanted it. Also, Fukushima also got a game design credit in the first MGS when the script was handed out. But it's funny both Nojiri and Fukushima left around the time of MGS4.

brau

GTA adds few things but they don't alter the gameplay at that much. Linear level design, linear story progress, minimaps, driving etc. Meanwhile in MGS, 3 made levels bigger and removed the radar, now its a proper stealth game not a Pacman game. PW and MGSV are not 15 hours games, they are RPG that requires a lot of time investment which lot of fans HATE. what am iI saying is MGS/Kojima/Fans are not scared of changes.

I agree. Kojima does like to to approach things from different perspectives.

Not that its always for the best.

On another note. I like change, i think change is important as a culture, and also as an industry that moves so darn fast. A thing that is important is that Kojima is not the only one responsible for the success of the games. MGS1-3 had different writers and editors, not to mention a team of very dedicated people. I mean, Julien Merceron and the team behind the Fox Engine made a lot of MGSV possible.

I think there is a big responsibility for the team behind a project, but also to the audience you are trying to target with your work as you make a fan base. Maybe that why we see more teams focus on different games instead of sagas. I mean.. people complained so much about AC, or Mass Effect. Mass Effect being such an interesting set of games. Im a big time MGS fan and i appreciate what every single entry brings to the table. But i think that its important to call him out on his BS. lol. which there is plenty to go around.

EDIT: Just came by this video

https://youtu.be/IG8LVpuzYls

Super interesting analysis on gameplay that has depth and challenges the player through skill. Platinum is a real master in their design when it comes to this.

DevilFox

Twin Snakes wasn't directed by Kojima.....

But the cinematics were approved by him and he hired the director, Ryuhei Kitamura, which already had a history of Matrix-style movies (even before Matrix came out).
So, it was either bad taste or a joke.
edit: lol you knew it.

I admire the effort in the OP but I couldn't disagree more with most of its points.

You can't say anti-Americanism took a backseat when MGS4 tackled the ongoing privatization of America's military; when Peace Walker idolized General Sandino and Che Guevara, with Big Boss contracting Outer Heaven to help the FSLN; or when MGSV begins in Guantanamo Bay.

Again, the concept of anti-Americanism to me is not about America, it's about a team of unknown powerful people that rule the most powerful country in the world (USA, but it could be France, it's not important). Elected by no one, outside the law and with the power to control every media.
That concept turned into Zero, a single person. The fight between individual freedom and control was turned into quarrel between Big Boss and Zero. With MGSV, they're not even "enemies" as we thought, quite the opposite. Everything was resized in a personal matter and it's a shame, there was a good opportunity to say something more about politics, media influence etc.

New post for a different subject... It's a shame the Ghost Babel team never got to do another game because it fits in perfectly with the first 4 main games (mg2, MGS, mgs2, mgs3). Murata shouldn't have been selected director over Nojiri who directed Ac!d 2 and GB. But then again, he might not have wanted it. Also, Fukushima also got a game design credit in the first MGS when the script was handed out. But it's funny both Nojiri and Fukushima left around the time of MGS4.

Eh, Ghost Babel isn't even considered canon because it doesn't reference MG2. Something canon from anyone that's not Kojima would be nice..

KOMANI

KOMANI
But the cinematics were approved by him and he hired the director, Ryuhei Kitamura, which already had a history of Matrix-style movies (even before Matrix came out).

Again, the concept of anti-Americanism to me is not about America, it's about a team of unknown powerful people that rule the most powerful country in the world (USA, but it could be France, it's not important). Elected by no one, outside the law and with the power to control every media.
That concept turned into Zero, a single person. The fight between individual freedom and control was turned into quarrel between Big Boss and Zero. With MGSV, they're not even "enemies" as we thought, quite the opposite. Everything was resized in a personal matter and it's a shame, there was a good opportunity to say something more about politics, media influence etc.

Eh, Ghost Babel isn't even considered canon because it doesn't reference MG2. Something canon from anyone that's not Kojima would be nice..
You know what's weird? The game was supposed to take place 3 years after Outheaven (source is the actual script data you can still find on Hardcoregaming 101) but was changed to 7 (or 9, I forget). Ideally, the game could have been canon, but it's just not. Also, there's 4 references to Ghost Babel in MGS2; 1. The game poster found within the game 2. When The Colonel goes crazy, the colonel from Ghost Babel will flicker on codec screen 3 & 4. 2 Codec conversations by the mad Colonel mentions the radio drama from Ghost Babel and he tells Raiden the same thing he tells Snake from Ghost Babel in one Codec call.

100% agree

Bolivar687

Banned

Then you should have appropriately labeled the section title or not have linked to the greater article, which on the whole is very contrived. But the decision-making, media-controlling authority was not a team of unelected people behind the scenes - the Wiseman's Committee was a red herring. Instead, it was an AI that subconsciously incorporated America's principles and values. The theme of MGS2 was memes and the Patriots AI was a literal manifestation of the way they influence our thoughts and society. I understand if you would have liked that explored further but it would not make sense to do so again in the sequels, where events, experience, ideology and language are instead the focal points of discussion. Every game tackles a unique gameplay and thematic concept, and you're again punishing Kojima for not taking the series in the direction you personally wanted.

Furthermore, the unelected power elite you want to see still exist, and I do not understand your beef with them being related to the history of Big Boss. Ironically, Fukushima worked on MGS3, which made this plot point explicit, so again, the overarching argument here is counter-intuitive.

Sorry to bump this thread.

But, after reading the opening post I think it has alot of merit.

I think fans will eventually catch on and perhaps realise Kojima managed to make a name for himself by support from talented people.

I'm genuinely curious to what happened to Tomokazu Fukushima. Apparently, the latest credits he recieved was a 'special thanks' in "Rain"(SIEJ, 2013).

Post MGS1, the script already began to seem off. The tone changed, characterization, aswell as the characters articulation in dialogue. It was good, but not great. It was telling another translator replaced Blaustein.

At the point of MGS4 and MGS5 (potentially Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, aswell) it had lost its consistency.

Hideo Kojima is a man who has successfully managed to brand and capitalise on his name.

Top Bottom