• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima On Metal Gear Survive: “I don’t think zombies would appear in such a world"

K' Dash

I respect Kojima out of the first 3 Metal Gear games, but the shit he says is fucking ridiculous.

EVERYTHING in that new Metal Gear smells like him, in fact, as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Konami are just developing his ideas.

Alienous

I think Kojima's treatment of Portable Ops shows that even if Konami made a great Metal Gear Solid game he'd dislike it due to his lack of involvement.

Also, yeah, the Skulls' mist turned people into zombies in MGSV. Even the 'can only be killed by headshots' angle. Survive probably uses many of the animations created for MGSV's mist zombies.

Ratrat

I respect Kojima out of the first 3 Metal Gear games, but the shit he says is fucking ridiculous.

EVERYTHING in that new Metal Gear smells like him, in fact, as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Konami are just developing his ideas.
How so? Disregarding its a mostly recycled effort, the trailer and tone aren't half as intriguing as say the Death Stranding trailer.

Servbot24

Banned
Well he's right of course. Just because Metal Gear has some zany things that happen in it doesn't mean that anything goes. Metal Gear still has a thematic set of rules that zombies don't fall into.

Angel_DvA

Well he's right of course. Just because Metal Gear has some zany things that happen in it doesn't mean that anything goes. Metal Gear still has a thematic set of rules that zombies don't fall into.

I agree with you but the Zombie term has really changed over the years, the MGS Survive type of zombie haven't their place in MGS universe but Zombies are part of it, the Skull Unit for example.

Anung

Un Rama
MGS4 and V basically have zombies anyway or things that pay homage to the tropes so it's not such a huge stretch.

mcz117chief

There wasn't a metal gear in the third game either so not every game has to have a metal gear. Chronologically the first metal gear that was called metal gear and actually looked like a metal gear is Raxa from Portable Ops. Also, technically the second game also doesn't have a metal gear since metal gear has to have legs and nuclear armament which neither Ray (no nukes) nor Arsenal Gear have (no legs).

Although, the big roar and that huge shadow at the end of the trailer leaned heavily towards it being a metal gear of some kind.

Servbot24

Banned
I agree with you but the Zombie term has really changed over the years, the MGS Survive type of zombie haven't their place in MGS universe but Zombies are part of it, the Skull Unit for example.

I'm not sure how Skulls equate to zombies. Aren't parasites just the 80s version on nanomachines?

Sande

Isn't it an alternate universe? Where literally anything is possible?
Yes, but there's the inter-dimensional portal that is directly linked to Ground Zeroes. So that's basically canon.

Tbh, I don't understand why Kojima latched onto zombies and not that. Zombies would be nothing in the MGS universe.

Servbot24

Banned
The idea that Metal gear games must have a bipedal mech in them in order for it to be a Metal Gear game seems like a very shallow understanding of what the series is. It's like saying Majora's Mask is not a Zelda game (I know she appears briefly but you get my point).

Angel_DvA

I'm not sure how Skulls equate to zombies. Aren't parasites just the 80s version on nanomachines?

the Parasite destroyed most of their cognitive functions, leaving them to effectively become zombies (both physically and mentally). Despite this, however, they did have a limited capacity for speech, they're basically dead weapons so they're modern zombies, not the real term but the Hollywood one.

Whompa02

The idea that Metal gear games must have a bipedal mech in them in order for it to be a Metal Gear game seems like a very shallow understanding of what the series is. It's like saying Majora's Mask is not a Zelda game (I know she appears briefly but you get my point).

I think he's basically saying, "it's in the name"

Servbot24

Banned
the Parasite destroyed most of their cognitive functions, leaving them to effectively become zombies (both physically and mentally). Despite this, however, they did have a limited capacity for speech, they're basically dead weapons so they're modern zombies, not the real term but the Hollywood one.

"Life form which has lost cognitive function" is way too broad of a definition for zombies

In that case Mega Man, Destiny, Metroid, Bloodborne and a bunch of others would all be zombie games.

EVH

This guy became a joke long ago. It still hypes the fuck out of almost everybody, but he is still a joke coated in some pseudo-intellectual layer of weaboo ridiculousness.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
weren't there zombies in MGS4

no the will of psycho mantis wirelessly connected to the nanomachines in corpses and re-animated them IT IS DIFFFERRREEENTTTT

Angel_DvA

"Life form which has lost cognitive function" is way too broad of a definition for zombies

In that case Mega Man, Destiny, Metroid, Bloodborne and a bunch of others would all be zombie games.

I already said I was agreeing with you as a geek but now, everything a zombie, people don't make the differences between infected like TloU and undead being created through the reanimation of a human corpse by magic, viruses, scientific accident etc...

Javier23

Banned
Genuinely curious, what is it that you disliked about MGS2 or MGS3? Like MG2 is great but the original MG feels to me a bit outdated by now.

-shadow-

With how insane this series is including vampires, ghosts and whatever I've seen from MGS V this is where he draws the limit?

Kneefoil

As has been already pointed out, MGSV did kind of have zombies, or at least zombie-likes. MGS3 too had ghosts, so Metal Gear isn't exactly foreign to the concept of living dead.

Didn't Kojima also at one point in time say that he would like to see Frank Jaeger fight against zombies powered by nanomachines in Metal Gear Rising 2?

Famassu

I'm wagering a guess he's referring to zombies seemingly being such a big focus of this game. Despite vampires and such being in previous games, they've been tools in a larger narrative that mirrors some IRL themes (however animeish they've been), not the sole focus.

Fury451

Banned
"Personally speaking, Metal Gear Solid is espionage to me, political fiction.”

Now I'm starting to wonder when the last time Kojima played a MGS game was because political fiction and espionage are the last elements I think about

Vampires were okay though?

Top Bottom