• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima On Metal Gear Survive: “I don’t think zombies would appear in such a world"

Mr. RHC

fBegW4i.gif

It's more the setting of MGSurvive that betrays the franchise, not the zombies themselves. Konami turned one of the most unique and weirdest game series and turned it into a bog-standard co-op zombie game that could easily be mistaken for The Walking Dead if it wasn't for the crystals growing out of their heads.

Also, what's up with all the backlash? Metal Gear was Kojima's work, he gets to say whatever the hell he wants to say about it.

Tovarisc

It was one of the best games of the year though.
Survive...will probably be something like Portable Ops + as far as relevance.

From gameplay perspective MGSV was one of the better ones for sure I agree, but at story department and some of character design? Bottom of the barrel tier imo. Constantly felt like it was going all over the place without any red line to follow yet it didn't go anywhere.

SenkiDala

Kojima, I loved all your games, even MGSV which I think is an absolute classic, but come on... There's already "zombies" in MGSV (and don't go on the road "what! no, infected is not same than a zombie!"), and in all the MG series there's so much unrealistic/fantasists characters/ennemies, so don't go shitting on MG Survive just because there are zombies in it...

I love Kojima's work but damn, this f*ing ego... -_-

Ratrat

From gameplay perspective MGSV was one of the better ones for sure I agree, but at story department and some of character design? Bottom of the barrel tier imo. Constantly felt like it was going all over the place without any red line to follow yet it didn't go anywhere.
It was lacking but hardly a 'joke without restraint'. It was actually the least funny and unrestrained game of the series. Where was the humor and easter eggs? Well, there were a few. The lack of story is a bigger issue than peoples opinion on its quality.

synce

As dumb as Survive looks, I think it's funny to hear Kojima say that zombies aren't MGS-like since
they were basically in MGS5
. And as far as gameplay goes there was MGR. It is sad seeing how the series has deteriorated over the years though

n051de

Survive looks like ass and I hope they are ashamed for adding this to the Metal Gear Universe. Zombies how they are potrayed in survive are probably what he is referring too. Undead definitely exist in the series so I doubt he's refuting that.

Jintor

What about the infected in Rec?
They have zombie traits but are in facf demon possesed.

I... are you trying to taxonomically classify zombies or something? In videogames, if it looks like a zombie and tries to claw your face in like a zombie, QED, zombie. It doesn't matter if it's controlled by a parasitic wasp, black magic, malignant fungus, rogue nanomachines, crab on face or a mutant virus. They're zombies.

Ratrat

I... are you trying to taxonomically classify zombies or something? In videogames, if it looks like a zombie and tries to claw your face in like a zombie, QED, zombie. It doesn't matter if it's controlled by a parasitic wasp, black magic, malignant fungus, rogue nanomachines, crab on face or a mutant virus. They're zombies.
But demon possession is also a genre and sometimes it can get really similar. Look at Evil Within or any game with mental patients. Those things can even talk and build traps. The zombie genre being rather specific is why stuff likeTEW, RE4 or Last of Us use different names. This is nothing new. So yes, in the strictest sense, there aren't 'zombies' in TPP.

And the things in Rec aren't zombies fyi.

Man, he's not even away from Konami for a year and he's already forgotten all about the insane shit he put into his games. Zombies with crystals for heads wouldn't even make the top 10 for weirdest things in MGS.
But they are all you do, a completely central part of the game. He's also right about the lack of espionage and political fiction. Though Im sure Metal Gears will eventually appear.

Ridley327

Man, he's not even away from Konami for a year and he's already forgotten all about the insane shit he put into his games. Zombies with crystals for heads wouldn't even make the top 10 for weirdest things in MGS.

Hell, one of the boss weapons in MGS4 lets you control your own zombie!

He's the creator - if not the owner - of that world, and he's entitled to his opinion. He should probably focus on his own thing for the time being, but I get that he's not too happy that his name is being linked to what's essentially a not particularly original CoD mode.

Jintor

But demon possession is also a genre and sometimes it can get really similar. Look at Evil Within or any game with mental patients. Those things can even talk and build traps. The zombie genre being rather specific is why stuff likeTEW, RE4 or Last of Us use different names. This is nothing new. So yes, in the strictest sense, there aren't 'zombies' in TPP.

And the things in Rec aren't zombies fyi.

I forget what the exact phrase is, but it doesn't necessarily matter that some zombies are fast, some zombies are dumb, some zombies are ultra powerful and some are bloated pusbags full of explosions or whatever. The point is, if they occupy the same space in pop-culture as a zombie, then for all intents and purposes they are a zombie. if they don't - if they make traps and communicate or whatever - then sure, they're not; but reserve that for that, because MGSV zombies clearly don't.

Ratrat

I forget what the exact phrase is, but it doesn't necessarily matter that some zombies are fast, some zombies are dumb, some zombies are ultra powerful and some are bloated pusbags full of explosions or whatever. The point is, if they occupy the same space in pop-culture as a zombie, then for all intents and purposes they are a zombie. if they don't - if they make traps and communicate or whatever - then sure, they're not; but reserve that for that, because MGSV zombies clearly don't.
If you can pull rules out your ass than so can any creator. Aside from demon possession, there are instances of vampires behaving like zombies, I am Legend etc. Its a dumb trope sure, but creators make changes in order for it to fit the world they are creating. Like, sure you can call it idiotic, but he tends to put explanations based on what he already established. If he doesn't think crystaline Zombies fit, then thats that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Jintor

I don't really disagree with him being allowed to proclaim whatever he likes about the universe he created though. I just think that whenever companies say "Oh they're not zombies because of X Y and Z" but they still do the same thing every other zombie in every other video game does, then they're zombies, no matter what the marketing material calls them.

Alienous

If you can pull rules out your ass than so can any creator. Aside from demon possession, there are instances of vampires behaving like zombies, I am Legend etc. Its a dumb trope sure, but creators make changes in order for it to fit the world they are creating. Like, sure you can call it idiotic, but he tends to put explanations based on what he already established. If he doesn't think crystaline Zombies fit, then thats that.

People are just calling him on this hypocrisy. There isn't really a consistent philosophy that includes things like characters who can communicate from beyond the grave, or having a person comprised of bees, that also precludes having zombies.

He probably believes that zombies have no place in Metal Gear, but only because he isn't doing it, not because he wouldn't do it.

EVO

By that logic, there aren't many zombie movies either, considering they're very rarely referred to as such.

fvng

I remember when Sega tried to make Yakuza appeal to the west by having a zombie spin off and it completely failing. It's almost like Konami fell asleep completely when that lesson was learned by Sega

fvng

Sounds like Konamis plan worked.

Taunting Kohima by running his baby to the ground.

If they really wanted to fuck with Kojima, they should have made a Metal Gear game so outstanding that it would have persuaded the world that Metal Gear doesn't need Kojima.

gafneo

Banned
Kojima asked the question? Doesn't mean he doesn't know the answer. Also, did Konami even call these crystal demons zombies? Crystal is like a computer chip. It can store information. Maybe these creatures are more in line with cyborgs. They seem to dislike the satellite for some reason. Maybe it was interfering with their frequencies. Still all scifi, which has always been in MGS.

Ratrat

People are just calling him on this hypocrisy. There isn't really a consistent philosophy that includes things like characters who can communicate from beyond the grave, or having a person comprised of bees, that also precludes having zombies.

He probably believes that zombies have no place in Metal Gear, but only because he isn't doing it, not because he wouldn't do it.
The Pain isnt comprised of bees though. The Sorrow is a tiny part of the game that could have any number of explanations if you wished.

As for your other point. isnt this whole thread about the fact he essentially did his take? It looks similar enough for most people to call it a zombie just like dozens of other games which used different names. But it doesn't mean he has to just because there are physical resemblences. Basically, were he to do something similar, it would be a language virus and and deal with cultural genoside, not a Zombie hoard mode.

By that logic, there aren't many zombie movies either, considering they're very rarely referred to as such.
Any examples? Can you not see the difference between Rec, I Am Legend and Resident Evil, 28 Days Later?

Despite my total lack of interest in MGSurvive, this is one dumb statement. Skulls were totally zombies and nothing here is all that ridiculous when compared to the rest of the series.

Just focus on Death Stranding, Kojima.

kewlmyc

Then what the hell were those grey things then in MGSV?

I understand not being happy with the way MG is going after you left, most people aren't. But that's a stupid comment to make.

This guy is full of bullshit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was salty.....

Edit:Death Stranding is probably gonna be filled with plot holes and dumb shit. I mean I wouldn't be suprised considering Metal Gear. Yet people will defend it.

gafneo

Banned
Those are ghouls, not zombies

Lol, a ghoul, mummy, zombie, vampire, infected, man on fire, puppet parasites, re-animators, body snatchers, Jason Voorhees. All this stuff is in the same category. Maybe a traditional walking dead would ruin the game's tone is all he means. I think the story of MG Survive has not been fully told, so I wouldn't call BS just yet.

Top Bottom