• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima On Metal Gear Survive: “I don’t think zombies would appear in such a world"

Yukinari

Wasnt the thing at the end of the trailer a Metal Gear though? Im pretty sure even an alternate universe full of zombies still has Metal Gears.

It's like the guys who came up with Superman saying "We don't think he would have heat vision". Which they totally could, and anyone arguing about that would look extremely silly.
No, the people who created Superman would look silly. Because there is no logic behind the fact that he can have all of those other random powers, but adding another random power in is suddenly unreasonable.
I'm probably being picky but extra-dimensional crystal zombies are a different prospect to cyborg zombie ninjas and victims of mind control. The latter have thematic context; the former don't (as far as we know).

Context, innit? It's more like someone saying "Now Superman can do magic" and there being no precedent or context for it.
Well I'm sure that they're going to create a context for the zombies in the game. It's almost definitely going to be explained. You're essentially saying that there is no context, despite the fact that the game isn't out until next year and you probably don't have a full idea about what the context of the game is anyway.

Just because there isn't currently any context for it doesn't mean there won't be. It's a fictional world that already has supernatural aspects. There is no reason that this world couldn't have zombies at some point. Way crazier shit has already happened in this world. My whole point is that creating a context for there to be zombies in the MGS universe isn't unreasonable or far fetched.

Wulfram

The creators of superman gave him a relatively coherent set of powers to begin with (Superstrong, superfast, supertough basically). He only started flying because leaping about was a pain to animate, and it was the silver age where things really got silly.

Kindekuma

Banned
I think Kojima meant that the series wasn't based around the idea of zombies. There's always some overlying plot/theme towards it. Mainline MGS surrounded itself in political espionage, with the wacky elements to help with the overall message. Survival seems purely based around the concept of the creatures.

HeelPower

Pretty sure its his way of saying he doesnt approve of it.

People are getting too hung on technical details of what is or isnt MGS ,but I dont think thats the intent of the comment.

That was just nanites.

yea.... wait a minute

I remember somewhere that it was explained the Boss's Crew were enhanced with parasites and shit, but there were fucking ghosts in that game. I really hate how they tried to explain away all the supernatural stuff with just insane techno garbage

TLharhy.jpg

Mgs5 ruined everything. The Cobra Unit and physco Mantis was fine but Kojima over did it with the parasites.

yea.... wait a minute

I remember somewhere that it was explained the Boss's Crew were enhanced with parasites and shit, but there were fucking ghosts in that game. I really hate how they tried to explain away all the supernatural stuff with just insane techno garbage

Just imagine if we got MGS6. He probably would have gone full assassin's creed and explain that the parasites worked so well on humans because they were created by ALIENS.

BlueCrest

Obviously, it makes sense in a series with vampires, ninja cyborgs, mutants, and nano-machines, the appearance of zombies is preposterous.

Village

WORMHOLES

tumblr_nsmotsT4HO1sq41kno1_500.gif

Political fiction guys.
I dont think that's Canon
Its like the raiden suit, its makes your life easier but big boss never had it. Also it never shows up in mgs's that take place in the future,in the stories. Because it would have solved several plots fairly quickly. Like mgs4 and mgr's plots would have been done fast if raiden could fucking teleport

But the bigger point is, the size of the worm hole that swallowed the orginal mother base should have been seen from...miles away. There is no goddamned way that big boss miller paz or venom didnt or the skull soilders in the other helicopters and actively attacking the base picking off stragglers didnt see the fucking giant space time rip.

And no one brought it up

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I think Kojima meant that the series wasn't based around the idea of zombies. There's always some overlying plot/theme towards it. Mainline MGS surrounded itself in political espionage, with the wacky elements to help with the overall message. Survival seems purely based around the concept of the creatures.

this is probably correct. everyone is so quick to assume kojima is an idiot who doesn't even pay attention to his own games, but it seems more likely to me that he's referring to the fact that his games may contain supernatural elements, but the context is always based around espionage and global politics.

while metal gear is a series that features vampires, zombies, and ghosts, metal gear is not a series ABOUT vampires, zombies, or ghosts. that's what differentiates survive.

karasu

I have no idea why people are rushing to defend this shitty cash grab that every cool character in the series flew away from.

Kindekuma

Banned
this is probably correct. everyone is so quick to assume kojima is an idiot who doesn't even pay attention to his own games, but it seems more likely to me that he's referring to the fact that his games may contain supernatural elements, but the context is always based around espionage and global politics.

while metal gear is a series that features vampires, zombies, and ghosts, metal gear is not a series ABOUT vampires, zombies, or ghosts. that's what differentiates survive.

Yeah there's no reason why he would say "I don't think zombies would appear in such a world" if he already included such elements before. Probably some mistranslation in the meaning and/or taking the phrase too literally.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Because Metal Gear Solid games are the pinnacle of realism is video games right?

I know tonnes of chicks who breathe through their skin.

karasu

Less about defending Survive and more about rolling eyes at Kojimas statement.

I'm sure he means literal brain-eating zombies with fucking crystals in their heads. Just because he toys with the absurd it doesn't mean he would add everything to the series.

Tovarisc

I'm sure he means literal brain-eating zombies with fucking crystals in their heads. Just because he toys with the absurd it doesn't mean he would add everything to the series.

When looking at MGS franchise up until this point you can easily get picture that everything and anything goes.

DMONKUMA

Well Kojima is a weird man....wouldn't put it pass him.

Also I haven't been keeping up with Survive...but! Why exactly do the zombies have crystals in their heads??

karasu

When looking at MGS franchise up until this point you can easily get picture that everything and anything goes.

Well according to the creator of the series it doesn't. There are limits. He plays with the ideas of vampires, ghosts, etc. But that doesn't mean he's also bringing in bigfoot, nelly, satan, and santa clause.

Why didn't Konami just make a new map for MGS V? I just want more MGS V! I would have paid full price for a ton of missions without any of the cinematic bs, and I definitely don't want a coop version of the game ffs.

Tovarisc

Well according to the creator of the series it doesn't. There are limits. He plays with the ideas of vampires, ghosts, etc. But that doesn't mean he's also bringing in bigfoot, nelly, satan, and santa clause.

He just didn't play with those idea, he put them into games as is. Later on adding tech reason for them, but MGS games have possessions, vampires and ghosts in them among other supernatural / goofy / weird things. Hell, MGSV has those zombies he thinks don't fit MGS franchise.

Perception of "anything and everything goes" is there and established by creator of franchise himself.

In general it looks a lot like he added elements, characters and things into MGS game of that time just because he was interested in them in that moment. Not because they would make that much sense or maybe even fit into long reaching story arcs.

But in Metal Gear Solid 3 ghosts are a thing.

Also in Metal Gear Solid 4 the nanonmachines damaged some soldiers brains and caused them to act like zombies

And then in Metal Gear Solid V the Parasite Unit can turn soldiers into zombies

The zombie thing is actually overdone in the Metal Gear verse

Battlechili

Banned
I don't think the zombie-like entities in Metal Gear games are quite the same as actual zombies in the sense that they are in Metal Gear Survive. Zombies like the ones in Survive are like things that come from viruses and other oddities like that. I agree with Kojima; zombies don't really fit the Metal Gear universe, which has most of its elements being more scifi and politics oriented rather than trying to survive a zombie infested world. Even if Metal Gear games have always been crazy, I still feel that Survive doesn't really fit.

Not that it needs to; the game Red Dead Redemption had a zombie DLC game and I think its fine. So long as this doesn't affect the main canon of the Metal Gear series I don't think its such a bad thing for Survive to exist.

Also in Metal Gear Solid 4 the nanonmachines damaged some soldiers brains and caused them to act like zombies

These are all small scenes. They aren't the focus of any Metal Gear game.

Kojima puts a lot of dumb shit in his games. Just because he puts vampires or zombies in them, that doesn't stop them from being military themed espionage games.

Metal Gear Survive is trying to just be a survival zombie game, and that's a large departure from past entries.

How do Survive zombies even eat without a head and a crystal growing out of their neck?

karasu

He just didn't play with those idea, he put them into games as is. Later on adding tech reason for them, but MGS games have possessions, vampires and ghosts in them among other supernatural / goofy / weird things. Hell, MGSV has those zombies he thinks don't fit MGS franchise.

Vamp isn't literally a vampire. He doesn't turn to ash when the sun comes up. He doesn't turn to mist or a wolf, etc The skulls aren't literal zombies. They aren't dead people returned to life.

Ridley327

These are all small scenes. They aren't the focus of any Metal Gear game.

Kojima puts a lot of dumb shit in his games. Just because he puts vampires or zombies in them, that doesn't stop them from being military themed espionage games.

Metal Gear Survive is trying to just be a survival zombie game, and that's a large departure from past entries.

Even that's not the strangest detour the IP has taken, given that a tactics-based card game happened on Kojima's watch with the Acid series.

FatalT

Banned
Can we continue trying to analyze the definition of what a zombie is like on the first page some more to defend Kojima's statement with? That was fun.

Ratrat

How does a disease get transferred by sound but only if you understand the language?

If you want to poke holes in metal gear logic we're gonna be here awhile
Take it up with Neal Stephenson or any number of authors that explored the idea before.
Also, that was one of the few interesting aspe ts of MGSV's story.

so what? it doesn't matter if he thinks they belong or not. it's not his game. he isn't part of it.
He was asked. And he's now refuted rumors and distanced himself.

Maybe in 2019 we can compare MGS6 with Death Stranding.

Did you press post too early?

I'm in agreement with you there.
Seems he just meant that MGS isn't a game that would have it's entire focus around zombies, which is true to the series anyway.

so what? it doesn't matter if he thinks they belong or not. it's not his game. he isn't part of it.

Errrm he was asked a question by a fan during an interview.
He also said explicitly that he is not involved in the project in any way.

Ya'll can't even let Kojima have an opinion on something he was asked now smh.

Top Bottom