• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima On Metal Gear Survive: “I don’t think zombies would appear in such a world"

This guy is full of bullshit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was salty.....

Edit:Death Stranding is probably gonna be filled with plot holes and dumb shit. I mean I wouldn't be suprised considering Metal Gear. Yet people will defend it.
Hardly salty. He's more like "you do you fam."

Ridley327

WORMHOLES

tumblr_nsmotsT4HO1sq41kno1_500.gif

Political fiction guys.

And the breakthrough that wormhole technology needed was to capture a jackal.

Ridley327

You know right that MGSV has wormholes as unlock for extracting assets?

Seeing as that's a gif from MGS5, I think the poster is well aware of that.

It's more of a knock on people that attempt to use the whole "well, at least the wacky stuff Kojima does feels believable and consistent" excuse as to why he can get away with it.

Tovarisc

Seeing as that's a gif from MGS5, I think the poster is well aware of that.

It's more of a knock on people that attempt to use the whole "well, at least the wacky stuff Kojima does feels believable and consistent" excuse as to why he can get away with it.

For some reason I thought it was GIF from trailer of Survive. I could swear I saw that moment in that trailer. If that is GIF from MGSV then totally my bad!

#shame

Breakage

Kojima's just trying to elevate himself above his ex-employer. Unlike Splinter Cell, MGS games have been full of wacky characters with supernatural elements. His ego seems to have inflated considerably since he started rubbing shoulders with Hollywood directors and actors.

Pizza

I'm honestly pretty excited for Survive. MGSV mechanics would all lend themselves super well to a goofy zombie sandbox (a genre I'm honestly pretty sick of)

Sneaking into a zombie filled compound to find some dude who can go back to mother base and join the "baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire" R&D team seems super silly

Compsiox

Banned
Kojima's just trying to elevate himself above his ex-employer. Unlike Splinter Cell, MGS games have been full of wacky characters with supernatural elements. His ego seems to have inflated considerably since he started rubbing shoulders with Hollywood directors and actors.

I don't get how people get this from one sentence.

Gator86

This is like the ultimate Kojima thing, where in his head his nonsensical definitions for his universe and lore and narrative all make sense and run on some abstract internal logic that nobody on the outside can fully understand or find coherency in nor is he able to explain it himself.

Yup, Kojima basically exists entirely up his own ass at this point. He makes creative game elements, but everything else is best ignored. I don't know why people try and read so much into what he says/does. It's all bullshit.

Tovarisc

I don't get how people get this from one sentence.

I would argue it's something that has taken shape over longer period of time and statements like this from him just add to that perception of him.

Edit: Getting away with almost anything and being praised for even stupid shit by your fanbase must do wonders for ones ego and confidence.

Alienous

People are finding issue with the dumbest shit, then.

Not really.

Saying zombies don't fit Metal Gear when he's had zombies in previous games and things far more ridiculous is something you could take issue with.

It is trivial but this is a gaming discussion forum.

Breakage

I would argue it's something that has taken shape over longer period of time and statements like this from him just add to that perception of him.

Edit: Getting away with almost anything and being praised for even stupid shit by your fanbase must do wonders for ones ego and confidence.

Yeah this. MGS1 & 2 are two of my favourite of all time, but all the success,fan base fawning and selfies with American and European directors/actors has gone to Kojima's head. It's almost as if he thinks he is better than every other Japanese game dev because he has "connections" in the West.

People are finding issue with the dumbest shit, then.
No, saying that zombies of all things wouldn't appear in a universe with things that are just as, if not even more far fetched is probably the dumbest thing in this thread.

It's like watching Superman punch through walls, blow ice breath, run faster than a speeding bullet, and fly and then taking issue with the fact that he can shoot lasers out of his eyes.

Wulfram

No, saying that zombies of all things wouldn't appear in a universe with things that are just as, if not even more far fetched is probably the dumbest thing in this thread.

It's like watching Superman punch through walls, blow ice breath, run faster than a speeding bullet, and fly and then taking issue with the fact that he can shoot lasers out of his eyes.

But Superman's laser eyes are silly.

(Ice breath is silly too, though him having powerful breath is a decent fit)

But Superman's laser eyes are silly.

(Ice breath is silly too, though him having powerful breath is a decent fit)
It's all silly. It's a universe full of super heroes who constantly do things not possible in reality. Trying to isolate a few of the silly things while pretending that the rest of the things are reasonable is just odd.

Wensih

They're literally referred to as "infected" and the situation is described as an "outbreak."

So basically the modern day zombie?

The concept of Zombies has evolved over time to parallel modern fears.

Witchcraft
Chemicals/Nuclear waste
Viruses/Parasites/Bacteria

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Now that he's on the outside, he's looking at MGS like the rest of the world does.

A vampire in a military story? A bee man? Absurd!

SigSig

It's like the guys who came up with Superman saying "We don't think he would have heat vision". Which they totally could, and anyone arguing about that would look extremely silly.

Tovarisc

It's like the guys who came up with Superman saying "We don't think he would have heat vision". Which they totally could, and anyone arguing about that would look extremely silly.

Why? Because they don't agree with creators and debate over issue X? We all should just take everything that e.g. Kojima says at face value, praise him and lift up his decisions / opinions as universally valid and good?

Limit

He is just being defensive about his creation that he worked on for decades and now has no control over. Simple as that.

SigSig

Why? Because they don't agree with creators and debate over issue X? We all should just take everything that e.g. Kojima says at face value, praise him and lift up his decisions / opinions as universally valid and good?

The sane reaction would be shrugging and moving on. He got asked about an aspect of an universe he created and shared his opinion on it (which he is absolutely entitled to and looking at the MGS:S reveal thread is hardly an outlandish opinion, the game appearing as a most blatant cashgrab).
He doesn't agree with a creative decision Konami made. If he was making a big scene, I could understand the reaction here.

martino

animated dead bodies with whatever lore are animated dead bodies to me.
don't know the lore for survive but it won't be difficult to find something as good as mgsV (and with little effort even better)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
what,zombies are basically im mgsv already.

I'm probably being picky but extra-dimensional crystal zombies are a different prospect to cyborg zombie ninjas and victims of mind control. The latter have thematic context; the former don't (as far as we know).

Context, innit? It's more like someone saying "Now Superman can do magic" and there being no precedent or context for it.

TissueBox

Well the truth is that he'd never make a game based around a gameplay gimmick such as co-op zombie survival. He would, however, utilize such gimmicks in his stories to further the main, more political drama/action espionage coating.

In that case what he was probably trying to get across is that zombies should be in the backdrop of the so-called "political fiction", instead of vice versa, as that would not be first priority to him anyway.

Top Bottom