• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Overly sexualized women in DS will be given a “deep background story"

Lime

In an interview with BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat, Hideo Kojima defended the way female characters have been represented in his games, particularly when it comes to over sexualisation of certain women.

That said, the legendary designer noted that he's going to ”have a different approach for the next game."

”What I really want to avoid is, like you see in some games, characters with big breasts with no back story," said Kojima. ”If I make characters that at first glance might look like this then they'll have a deep background story to give a specific reason why."

Kojima is presumably referring to Quiet, a major character in the recent Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. Quiet was heavily criticised prior to the game's launch for her choice of clothes, but the designer insisted that it'll be explained in the game.

While the game did have a backstory for Quiet that justified her revealing attire, it was flimsy at best.

http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/26/koj...ent-approach-to-overly-sexualised-characters/

Nothing wrong with this in principle I guess, but I am not sure that Kojima is capable of it and it also seems weird as to explain the sexualizaton of his female characters with some story reason. His track record, along with the incredibly flawed excuse for Quiet, do not instill confidence in me personally.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please be quiet, Kojima.

Kinsei

Banned
So we will be ashamed of our words and deeds? I don't buy it.

Kojima is a total perv. He should just own it instead of coming up with dumb excuses.

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

Not this time, Kojima... just outright admit if you're gonna sexualise the characters... don't hide behind a shield of white armour.

Jonnax

I think he lost the plot in MGS4 with the whole sexy women moaning and grabbing on to snake after you defeat them. Only to have Drebin telling a story about how they were physically and emotionally tortured to become some killing machine.

Peace Walker and MGS5 were just plan stupid.

Peace Walker had snake having sex with Paz in a cardboard box. Then later fighting her whilst she's piloting a metal gear in her underwear.

I gave him a chance with MGSV, I can accept that the story may not have been completed (what was there was crap - WOLBACIA) but Quiet just just lame.
She can't speak because she'll infect everyone. Except she can speak 1 language, but doesn't because LOL.
She's dressed up in ripped up clothes because she breathes through her skin (lol).
And don't forget camera focussing on her body, the simply embarressing "shower" scenes, and of course the times she presents her ass to snake in the plane.

Nibel

..but Kojima: making up a stupid background story thinking it legitimizes oversexualized characters might be even worse than just admit you like to have that stuff in your games

DNAbro

Just own up that you want huge boobs in your game Kojima. Creating a flimsy background story is more embarrassing cause then you are just trying to justify it.

Top Bottom