• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kojima Station] Metal Gear Solid V: E3 Sneak Peek - June 5, 2014, 8 AM (EDT)

Luigi87

I don't really get this picture. Is that a really zoomed out perspective of the TPP landscape? Is it all going to be placed in a giant desert? I kinda wished for some vegetation. :(

Hopefully we'll get some vegetation.
The picture is also supposed to represent the scale of TPP's overworld is compared to the size of each area in the previous Metal Gears (they're tiny, barely making up a fraction of it, Ground Zeroes being only that small little space of the whole map).

Kojima may be an awful storyteller but by god he is an absolute genius when it comes to game design and mechanics. Besides one janky contextual animation the gameplay in that video is extremely fluid. Was TPP confirmed to also be 60fps even tho it's on such a humongous scale compared to GZ?

I suppose you haven't played MGS 4, Peace Walker and Metal Gear Online.

RangerBAD

Hold-ups from cardboard boxes: FUCK YEAH!

ibg4zi2KaMhVoL.gif

"RAWR!"

Was the comparison supposed to be all the maps of the MGS games compared to just TPP's Afghanistan level? Or is that supposed to represent all of TPP's maps put together?

HeelPower

More like doing things to trigger a "Tingle" effect, like goosebumps, and shivers. Kind of like taking a drug that relaxes you, but the drug is just audio stimulation. Whispering is a big trigger for many, but some are more affected by tapping, scrathing, or even faint noises.

I found it irritating, personally.

valkyre

the textures in the current gen version are a.) better quality, and b.) running in a higher resolution than their last gen counterparts. they can't be below last-gen texture standards and you're just being hyperbolic about it.

You just give me a few hours to go home from work, and I'll take pictures straight from my PS4 just for you, and then we will see who is the hyberbolic and who isnt.

Just because you did not pay attention to this, it doent mean I am hyperbolic...

And the game is my most anticipated game like... ever, you can check my post history. But when I see ugly textures I am not going to try and "magically" make them appear good...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I suppose you haven't played MGS 4, Peace Walker and Metal Gear Online.
I've played MGS4. That is not how you tell a story. So many scenes could be cut down or reduced in length if they were to cut out the exposition and dialogue that isn't necessary. Also the whole "nanomachines did it" twist was ugh...Kojima even acknowledges this and is aware of it, which is why he promised not to have such long-winded cutscenes in TPP.

Batzi

Banned
Cross gen!
Disappointed, expected to fully utilize the power of next gen
It was confirmed to be cross-gen like 2 years ago. Remember this will be 1080p60fps and I thought GZ looked and played brilliantly! I wouldn't complain much if I were you.
Was the comparison supposed to be all the maps of the MGS games compared to just TPP's Afghanistan level? Or is that supposed to represent all of TPP's maps put together?
That's just Afghanistan which is one map among others in TPP. Yup, that's ENORMOUS!

I've played MGS4. That is not how you tell a story. So many scenes could be cut down or reduced in length if they were to cut out the exposition and dialogue that isn't necessary. Also the whole "nanomachines did it" twist was ugh...Kojima even acknowledges this and is aware of it, which is why he promised not to have such long-winded cutscenes in TPP.
MSG4's story was.... a phantom pain in the ass to dredge through. It was like, "blah blah blah *30 mintues later* blah blah". Drebin & his space monkey, ughhh. and then the post credit ending, fucking game over.

Ragav

Banned
It was confirmed to be cross-gen like 2 years ago. Remember this will be 1080p60fps and I thought GZ looked and played brilliantly! I wouldn't complain much if I were you.

I know but I expected them to cancel previous gen and go for current gen(since they are doing so well) at full force, lol
but 1080P, 60FPS for a open world is still incredible

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
MSG4's story was.... a phantom pain in the ass to dredge through. It was like, "blah blah blah *30 mintues later* blah blah". Drebin & his space monkey, ughhh. end then the post credit ending, fucking game over.
Yea exactly, it was ridiculous.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So many possibilities. Take the horse and ride around or search for hidden stuff by foot.

This game.

2014-06-0516_25_35-mez5j85.png

2014-06-0516_26_09-mel6jxl.png

doofy102

My theory is that smaller start-of-game locations like the hospital, Afghanistan etc aren't counted on the map. That map on the board is the "HUB" world, in Africa, where most of the game will take place, with Snake's base somewhere on it.

Darksol

I loved MGS4 for most of the reasons a large segment of GAF hates it. Anywhoo...Glad to see the return of the box ^-^

Spaghetti

You just give me a few hours to go home from work, and I'll take pictures straight from my PS4 just for you, and then we will see who is the hyberbolic and who isnt.
there's no need to take any pictures. i know what the current gen version of the game looks like. i own the last gen version, and i'm pretty damn sure the textures are far and away better on current gen. that's not just a subjective opinion either, the current gen textures are better quality and the game is running at a higher res than last gen, it is a fact that the current gen version has better textures.

Just because you did not pay attention to this, it doent mean I am hyperbolic...
you couldn't even remember when you said the current gen textures looked worse than last gen despite having posted exactly that less than 20 minutes before, and i'm the one not paying attention?

So many possibilities. Take the horse and ride around or search for hidden stuff by foot.

This game.

2014-06-0516_25_35-mez5j85.png

2014-06-0516_26_09-mel6jxl.png

Game of the Forever.

I already know that this will be the greatest game I'll ever play. The map looks insane, the possibilities are vast; I just can't wait to see more at E3. Sweet Jesus. Oh, man. Cannot contain all of this hype. I mean, dude! CARDBOARD BOX HOLD-UPS!

0258_mm8k.gif

Sn4ke_911

Game of the Forever.

I already know that this will be the greatest game I'll ever play. The map looks insane, the possibilities are vast; I just can't wait to see more at E3. Sweet Jesus. Oh, man. Cannot contain all of this hype. I mean, dude! CARDBOARD BOX HOLD-UPS!

0258_mm8k.gif

and all the boss battles and shit. E3 can't come soon enough, i'm dying to see the new trailer and extended gameplay!

THIS FUCKING GAME.

ibzUcBLTIokHg3.gif

valkyre

there's no need to take any pictures. i know what the current gen version of the game looks like. i own the last gen version, and i'm pretty damn sure the textures are far and away better on current gen. that's not just a subjective opinion either, the current gen textures are better quality and the game is running at a higher res than last gen, it is a fact that the current gen version has better textures.

you couldn't even remember when you said the current gen textures looked worse than last gen despite having posted exactly that less than 20 minutes before, and i'm the one not paying attention?

Just because your reading comprehension and understanding fails, it is not my problem...I explained thoroughly what I said but you cant seem to understand. And that "paying attention" wasnt even in regards to this discussion, but your attention when you play the game. So yeah, your reading comprehension aint so great today.

From the beginning I am judging GZ textures on the PS4 version.

The point is that said textures are extremely poor not only for next gen standards but for last gen (ps360) as well. Even in if you see those same textures in a PS3 game you would still call them "ugly".

The fact that in the ps3 version they are even uglier than PS4 is not the point. The point is that some of these textures are fugly even by last gen standards. And there is no reason for that.

And no, I will take pics. Because I want to post them and then I want you to comeback and tell me that these textures are "acceptable" and that I am "hyperbolic".

This game.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with this. My first instinct in any open-world game is to work out which way the game wants me to go, do a 180 and then explore to my heart's content. With Metal Gear games, though, I always want to mainline the story, then immediately play it again because I didn't get it the first time, then maybe one more story playthrough, then another one where I explore everything, then another one where I listen to all the Codec calls in every area, etc etc.

and alle the boss battles and shit. E3 can't come soon enough, i'm dying to see the new trailer and extended gameplay!

THIS FUCKING GAME.

ibzUcBLTIokHg3.gif

WOW!!

I haven't even thought about the boss battles, yet. Oh, my God! Remember how Kojima always said that he wanted a Decoy Octopus battle, but has never been able to implement it into his games because the technology wasn't up to par? Do you think maybe we'll get to see his dream boss fight in action since the game is running on an engine he created? The possibilities!

tumblr_n2srx0Y7Dh1rw2cxto1_1280.gif

Sn4ke_911

WOW!!

I haven't even thought about the boss battles, yet. Oh, my God! Remember how Kojima always said that he wanted a Decoy Octopus battle, but has never been able to implement it into his games because the technology wasn't up to par? Do you think maybe we'll get to see his dream boss fight in action since the game is running on an engine he created? The possibilities!

tumblr_n2srx0Y7Dh1rw2cxto1_1280.gif

The hype it's... it's just too much. The trailer, the music, the cutscenes, the dialogue, the characters, the graphics, the gameplay.

4 days to go...

iksjjqbxkvohq6text.gif

Spaghetti

Just because your reading comprehension and understanding fails, it is not my problem...I explained thoroughly what I said but you cant seem to understand. And that "paying attention" wasnt even in regards to this discussion, but your attention when you play the game. So yeah, your reading comprehension aint so great today.

From the beginning I am judging GZ textures on the PS4 version.

The point is that said textures are extremely poor not only for next gen standards but for last gen (ps360) as well. Even in if you see those same textures in a PS3 game you would still call them "ugly".

The fact that in the ps3 version they are even uglier than PS4 is not the point. The point is that some of these textures are fugly even by last gen standards. And there is no reason for that.

And no, I will take pics. Because I want to post them and then I want you to comeback and tell me that these textures are "acceptable" and that I am "hyperbolic".
you are being hyperbolic, and the textures are acceptable for a cross-gen open world game running at 1080p/60fps. you're not seeing the complete lack of logic in your argument by saying the textures in a higher res current gen version are worse than the version running on inferior hardware that isn't even hitting 720p.

you're also being rude.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't really get this picture. Is that a really zoomed out perspective of the TPP landscape? Is it all going to be placed in a giant desert? I kinda wished for some vegetation. :(

Kojima has you covered.
Julius+African+boy.jpg

Game is set in Afghanistan and Africa.

valkyre

you are being hyperbolic, and the textures are acceptable for a cross-gen open world game running at 1080p/60fps. you're not seeing the complete lack of logic in your argument by saying the textures in a higher res current gen version are worse than the version running on inferior hardware that isn't even hitting 720p.

you're also being rude.

You have got to be kidding me... you are the one who started with the hyberbolic name calling and I am being rude? Seriously?

Also, you still dont understand what I am talking about!!

I seriously cant do anything more. I will simply post the pics and then, hopefully you will understand that surely those particular textures could use a bit of refinement, and that even by last gen standards they are ugly. Besides Kojima said it himself that GZ on PS4 runs in 1080p and 60 fps with room to spare. And it isnt particularly hard to improve subject textures.

Do you think the new MGSV trailer will be part of Sony's press conference?

I'm guessing that we'll get a story trailer during one of the major conferences, then a gameplay presentation the next day!

you're also being rude.

You have got to be kidding me... you are the one who started with the hyberbolic name calling and I am being rude? Seriously?

Also, you still dont understand what I am talking about!!

I seriously cant do anything more. I will simply post the pics and then, hopefully you will understand that surely those particular textures could use a bit of refinement, and that even by last gen standards they are ugly. Besides Kojima said it himself that GZ on PS4 runs in 1080p and 60 fps with room to spare. And it isnt particularly hard to improve subject textures.

hDJb142.gif

Chairhome

English version of this is airing in about 10 hours (I think I did that right?)

Kojima Pro Live ‏@Kojima_Pro_Live ·1 hr
Pre-E3 English Kojima Station going live in 10 hours! Thursday 6pm PST! (Friday 10am JST) #Koji_Sta

Most likely same info, but in beautiful english.

English version of this is airing in about 10 hours (I think I did that right?)

Kojima Pro Live ‏@Kojima_Pro_Live ·1 hr
Pre-E3 English Kojima Station going live in 10 hours! Thursday 6pm PST! (Friday 10am JST) #Koji_Sta

Most likely same info, but in beautiful english.

Yes, you got it! Assuming this thread is still around tonight, any new information will make its way into the OP. Will post links and info as it becomes available!

Top Bottom