• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

J4g3r

Hopefully the Fox Engine finds it's way out of Konami's grasp...

It would be terrible if all that engine is used for from now on is PES.

The point of no return. Even if they wanted to get back into this market, I don't think they'd find a lot of talent willing to go to the company that ran so many people out.

Fat4all

Banned
Konami-Logo-702x336.jpg

The Old King Is Dead.

Hasney

At the least they should milk their old IPs for rereleases like secs and capcom are doing. Knowing that these fuckheads can't even do that right is so infuriating

yeah, just farm them out to devs. They don't give a fuck, so they might as well get free money. Sell the FOX Engine too to someone who can get it documented and add support to license out to anyone who wants it.

Recall

Let MGS die. It's legacy is outstanding. The ideas of others doing things with the franchise is not needed, just let it rest.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This sounded pretty disappointing at first, but wasn't MGS their only real AAA series?

MGS, SH -> Sony
Contra, Castlevania, Goeman, Gradius, Bomberman -> Nintendo

Won't ever happen of course. But it should. Would pave the way for "Castlevania Maker!"

LewieP

Saddest thing for me is that Platinum probably won't get to do another MGR. There's even been indications that a second one was in the pipeline but it got cancelled.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Is that source trustworthy/well-known? I mean, "Gameblog."

Neff

I don't believe Konami is shutting up shop on Metal Gear for a second. There will be another one for sure.

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Road
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD

They're still releasing old stuff through Virtual Console and Arcade Archives, that's good enough for me.

An incredibly toxic work environment for making only mobile games, PES and pachinko machines. Gambling for cash is also still illegal in Japan.

Sounds like a poor outlook.

PES on console this year is fantastic though, as long as they don't fuck it up next year I can't be too pissed. I'm not buying shitty fifa so without konami I wouldn't even have a soccer game to play online. :(

They should sell some IP though.

Dear Konami ... well ... bye. I won't miss you, but your IPs.

While we're already talking about IPs ... how about you sell some?

MGS, Zone of the Enders to Platinum, pretty sure they would buy Kojima from you, too!
Castlevania, Bomberman, Goemon and Suikoden to Nintendo.
Silent Hill to either the ones who made Siren or Until Dawn?
Contra and Rocket Knight to Wayforward.

For example...

KORNdoggy

given their lack of decent quality games recently, the only bad aspect of this is that they'll take all their good IP's down with them. there are some great devs and publishers out there who would make great use of some of the IP's they hold. but you know they'll keep them all and plaster their pachinko machines with them instead.

i think this is ultimately the reason kojima has beef. he knew this is where things were going and he was understandably unhappy about it. either way i think he'd have been out of the job, it's just a shame it clearly effected the last MGS we're ever likely to get...at least in name.

i honestly can't say i'll miss them. i might have missed them back in the PS2 era, but not now.

oti

Banned
Hopefully the Fox Engine finds it's way out of Konami's grasp...

It would be terrible if all that engine is used for from now on is PES.

Why should other publishers use Fox Engine? Is the documentation even translated into English?

Asd202

i knew not buying phantom pain was the right choice

The decision was made before MGSV was released hence the Kojima nad Konami fallout, Silent Hills cancellation, no other games announced for either home consoles and handhelds. It really fits.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So when are we getting a formal statement of Kojima's departure?

migh_and_highty

Neo Member
Ergh everything someone says pachinko I get annoyed and wanna scream!

Hopefully they release a couple of chappy mobile games and devalue the metal gear trademark, so someone like sony or atlus can snatch it up and make a half decent title with kojima

Top Bottom