• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Pooya

..I guess they gave up on making a post-Kojima AAA Metal Gear? Didn't they want to hire a new team?

That didn't make much sense to me, there are not exactly many games like MGS being developed in Japan, they probably already had the most qualified staff with the right experience to work on a game of this caliber, talent doesn't exactly grow on trees, and then who would really want to work there on MGS for Konami right now when there is obviously no guarantee how long you will remain employed and there are better places to go if you have the right skills.

If they want to make another MGS, they probably need to hire a studio.

Liamario

Banned
I'd like to think that if I was running Konami, I'd at least give Kojima the option to buy the IP. He is the creator of it and while Konami has legal ownership, the IP would be nothing without Kojima.

jfoul

I wouldn't be surprised if they just license out the IPs.

jtIcTvt.gif

wrowa

..I guess they gave up on making a post-Kojima AAA Metal Gear? Didn't they want to hire a new team?

I'd assume that they are still building up that team, production on something specific likely hasn't started yet and won't for quite some time.

I don't believe that they are ceasing production on MGS, though, but they'll likely cut the budget back by a lot.

Company has been dead outside of MGS for years. With Kojima gone, there wasn't much hope for MGS after PP anyhow.

I say good riddance and sell the good IPs on to someone who gives a shit.

Roni

Gold Member
who has that kind of money? Take-Two, Ubi, EA and MS?

Take-two seems to know how to wait for their games to be ready. Can't know how stuff is handled backstage though. Bethesda still believes in quality single-player first titles.

• Silent Hill
  • Metal Gear
  • Castlevania
  • Bomberman
  • Bloody Roar
  • Contra
  • Gradius
  • Frogger
  • Goemon
  • Zone of the Enders
  • Suikoden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Adventure Island
  • BONK
  • Star Soldier
  • Twinbee
  • and more!

ALL
DEAD

They said Konami has ceased all triple-A console game production

A number of the above could easily be released as downloadable only titles or smaller retail releases.

Snake needs to sneak into Konami HQ, steal Fox Engine, and then delete all traces of it from the servers.

Then Kojima can use it for his new games and call it the XOF engine.

Christ, I wonder if he has anything to even do until December.

Probably that third chapter

ha...haaaaa... ;_;

They said Konami has ceased all triple-A console game production

A number of the above could easily be released as downloadable only titles or smaller retail releases.

This guy gets it:

They're not dead, but I suspect in a few years you'll wish they were.

They may exist, but not in any form you're gonna wanna touch.

See: EROTIC VIOLENCE

wrowa

What do you think KojiPro LA was using for Metal Gear Online?

Also why wouldn't they use it?

Because most publisher either have their own engine or are invested in UE4/CryEngine/Unity and the likes.

It'd literally be a dumb idea to use Fox Engine for anything when it's not clear what happens to engine support.

Macrotus

I'm pretty sure majority of us predicted this. (I have too)
Because Konami themselves clearly have already said they were going mobile.

So I've been saying that if we were to have a next Metal Gear, it would probably be on mobile phones/devices. Very depressing as a Console/PC gamer.
But I knew this day would come and was sort of ready for it.

Like some people are saying, they should sell their IP.

Sorc3r3r

Back in the ps1, ps2 days was my fav publisher.
Today...really just Pes.

With Kojima gone MGS is already dead, so I'm not going to miss them at all.

Things changes.

"no plans for a big new Metal Gear game"

But lots of plans for cheap, shitty ones on mobile phones.

Here's to the future.

In the meantime I wonder if Kojima is winding down his time in the office by quietly stuffing fish into the curtain poles and secretly pissing in the water cooler?

Jigorath

Banned
Whatever, I ain't missing anything outside of Suikoden. Metal Gear is dead without Kojima, and Castlevania will live on through Bloodstained.

RPGCrazied

Welp, bye Konami. I guess we will never get another Suikoden now. And I hope they will at least sell the MGS ip, if they aren't going to do anything with it.

Top Bottom