• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Interview: Committed to Core Gamers, MGS doesn’t need Kojima

Saying MGS doesn't need Kojima is like saying PlayStation doesn't need Shu.

I didn't read all the topics about MGS V, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking that the game was "rushed" and delivered unfinished (and with cut content) because of Konami.

kubricks

Pachinko players are pretty hardcore especially those who are on to erotic violence! I believe Konami on this occasion. :/

Kamina777

Banned
As much as I agree with the sentiment, we don't really need to fill every Konami thread with posts like these

Though I think it's interesting as to what sort of core games they even have in mind if they aren't focusing on exclusively mobile
It's a direct response to the content of the article what are you talking about?

Dremark

Banned
Most of what Konami did to IGA almost taints whatever the fuck they tried and sincerely wished for Castlevania by handing it to MercurySteam, and makes it a very hard sell to look at what they tried doing in any positive light.

- Castlevania became annualized by Konami as of 2001, and one of the reasons IGA games may feel rushed is literally because the heads at Konami wanted him to make the series an annual thing. It is not shocking that arguably his best titles post-Symphony of the Night games, Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia, were as good as they were was because they had more than a year to make them. To IGA's credit, I can't name many developers who start and finish making a major title in about 9 months, which is exactly what happened with Portrait of Ruin. You can almost argue that its decline in popularity was the fact the games came out so often, and the teams IGA had didn't really have much cooldown time. While anecdotal, despite Castlevania being my favorite series pre-reboot, I was getting tired of the franchise for these very same reasons.

- IGA gave such an interest in the IP he was told to produce he was willing to physically relocate to other countries if they were going to outsource production. Instead, they kind of tossed him aside for who was, and you can argue still is, a consistently unproven developer like MercurySteam. During this transition, they cancelled not one but two Castlevania projects he was working on, and delegated him to mobile. One of which was a console game focused on Alucard penned as the game sequel to Symphony of the Night, and I believe the other was a handheld game, presumably in development for the 3DS.

- The salt in the wound probably hit a breaking point for IGA as he was working on a mobile game for almost two years, which Konami later cancelled for, and I shit you not, not being microtransaction heavy. IGA wanted a game where the core mechanics didn't have to be nickle and dimed, and the company objected so much to this approach his game was canned. His janitorial efforts were essentially being put in a bucket with no mop.

Konami has been fucking bad for years, but it's great to see how the collective have woken up, even if took their last key developer being thrown under the bus, just like the rest of their key developers.

I followed the series from the start.I wasn't happy IGA got the boot but I would have dealt with it and tried what ever type of game Mercury Steam did had they not felt the need to reboot the series from the start and pretend the other entries didn't exist.

I think CV actually had more than one game per year post 2001 in a lot of cases. Some were better than others but I never really had an issue with the direction. My favorite Igavania (Aria) and my favorite 3D entry (Lament) both came out in the same year.

IGA loved this series as much as anyone does, it's not surprising he would have gone to those lengths to stick with it. They treated him badly and I was hoping for years he'd leave and start making games again. I'm glad he did and I'm looking forward to playing it.

TheBoss1

I didn't read all the topics about MGS V, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking that the game was "rushed" and delivered unfinished (and with cut content) because of Konami.

Everyone thinks it's Kojima's fault now that the game is released even though he has never done anything remotely close to this in the past.

The comments I've read, the threads I've seen... won't stop hurting. I'll make them give back our past!

Game Guru

With all due respect what exactly would be the point of having some new unconnected team make a Metal Gear game exactly? I see this type of stuff here all the time where someone says series x should be rebooted by team y or what not but I don't really understand it exactly.

To me it makes very little sense. You are taking an unrelated team, having them copy the style someone else did and usually rebooting the story. You're essentially asking for a copycat game legitimized with the established name thrown on it.

What exactly is the advantage of this? I honestly think it's better if another team has aptitude or ideas for a similar game, make thier own IP. I think gaming is better off that we had a game series like Splinter Cell made on it's own rather than being farmed out as a Metal Gear sequel. It gave them the freedom that they could do thier own thing without being held to the expectations and traditions of Metal Gear.

Because they might have an awesome idea for a Metal Gear game. Just because Kojima and company worked on Metal Gear doesn't mean that others can't have ideas that would also fit in the tone of the series. Just look at fellow Konami IP Castlevania. IGA is neither the creator of Castlevania nor the creator of Dracula, but his Metroidvanias end up being very excellent games and even though he's left Konami and the Castlevania IP, IGA is still making a game in that sort of style. The issue isn't if there isn't someone who could make a Metal Gear on par with Kojima, but that Konami cares too little about the console market to get someone who can.

Sakujou

Banned
Because they might have an awesome idea for a Metal Gear game. Just because Kojima and company worked on Metal Gear doesn't mean that others can't have ideas that would also fit in the tone of the series. Just look at fellow Konami IP Castlevania. IGA is neither the creator of Castlevania nor the creator of Dracula, but his Metroidvanias end up being very excellent games and even though he's left Konami and the Castlevania IP, IGA is still making a game in that sort of style. The issue isn't if there isn't someone who could make a Metal Gear on par with Kojima, but that Konami cares too little about the console market to get someone who can.
yeah, that was pretty much a good example.
another bunch of good examples are metroid prime which was done by retro studios, donkey kong country returns, lords of shadow, nuts n bolts(excellent game!!!), revengeance...

iam sure there are a lot of capable teams out therw who are doing good stuff. they only need the directin. have a look at twin snakes. it was entirely done by silicon knights only known for their mediocre game too human. but with kojima on board, and some nintendo employees they delivered a superb game.

Dremark

Banned

And what exactly would be the advantage of using that idea on a Metal Gear game than making thier own IP with it, aside from the marketing benefits?

IGA is a pretty bad comparison for a number of reasons. He worked with existing Castlevania staff prior to heading the series himself, the series really hadn't been largely headed by one person at that point like MG pretty much has and Castlevania hadn't totally run its course like Metal Gear has.

If Kojima's team still existed and/or he had handed over the project to someone on his staff I'd see that as a passing of the torch, but in all honesty the next step for the series really should be to stop. Pretty much everything has been finished now and everything has come full circle.

I'm not saying a series should never change hands, but MG is pretty much the best example of a series that reached a logical stopping point in pretty much every way.

Dremark

Banned
yeah, that was pretty much a good example.
another bunch of good examples are metroid prime which was done by retro studios, donkey kong country returns, lords of shadow, nuts n bolts(excellent game!!!), revengeance...

iam sure there are a lot of capable teams out therw who are doing good stuff. they only need the directin. have a look at twin snakes. it was entirely done by silicon knights only known for their mediocre game too human. but with kojima on board, and some nintendo employees they delivered a superb game.

As I stated in the other post, I don't think it was a good example, I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with some of your other examples, but opinions.

Silicon Knights was known for Blood Omen: Legacy of Main and Eternal Darkness prior to Twin Snakes and had a strong reputation going in. Too Human was done years afterwards and largely detracted from said reputation. At the time they were heavy hitters and them being on board was a selling point, a lot changed after that though.

.Anema

Awesome. After MGSV the Metal Gear saga needs new visions and new people in charge.
Kojima fucked up the last entry with an unfinished game, and failed as a producer by not accomplish the schedule and the budget.
Sorry Kojima, but no one is irreplaceable. No one.

SomTervo

As a MGS fan since MGS1, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that the franchise doesn't need Kojima. In fact, I welcome a game without him after the last few main line entries.

With that being said, I'm confident that Konami is going to fuck up the next game.

lmao @ committed to core gamers though

Seconded.

And i'm going to play the fucked up next game regardless.

Awesome. After MGSV the Metal Gear saga needs new visions and new people in charge.
Kojima fucked up the last entry with an unfinished game, and failed as a producer by not accomplish the schedule and the budget.

After what they had to go through by reports on Konami, I'm surprised they even managed to get a game out.

RPGCrazied

But many of your core franchises are dead, so I don't believe you. Silent Hill, Contra, Suikoden and Castlevania are the main ones for me. Where are those?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Time will tell on that one, methinks.

Balb

If you believe that video games are more than just packaged products that come off an assembly line then people like Kojima are absolutely irreplaceable. The dozens of once-great franchises that turned to shit overnight once the original visionaries left their respective projects stand as proof.

I don't agree with that comparison, at all. Shu Yoshida is not the first boss of WWS and he certainly won't be the last. I know he's largely become the face of PS among geeks, but it's not like Playstation would lose its creative force if he left. On the other hand, Kojima created Metal Gear and has helmed it since its inception, and I think a lot of that series' cleverness and quirkiness is driven by him.

EDIT - don't get me wrong; I really like Shu, I just don't think he is absolutely key to the quality of PS software in the sense that someone else competent could not replace him.

Boomshaw

Banned
To be honest when it came to the topic about Konami's future, he looked incredibly nervous that he would say the wrong thing and then get sacked by Konami.

It's a shame because I want to buy Pro Evo but I won't because of what they did with Kojima.

Still finding it incredibly annoying that people think Konami said what OP claims. It's definitely a misrepresentation of that interview.

That phrase "Konami doesn't need Kojima" was never said once.

W.S.

And what exactly would be the advantage of using that idea on a Metal Gear game than making thier own IP with it, aside from the marketing benefits?

IGA is a pretty bad comparison for a number of reasons. He worked with existing Castlevania staff prior to heading the series himself, the series really hadn't been largely headed by one person at that point like MG pretty much has and Castlevania hadn't totally run its course like Metal Gear has.

If Kojima's team still existed and/or he had handed over the project to someone on his staff I'd see that as a passing of the torch, but in all honesty the next step for the series really should be to stop. Pretty much everything has been finished now and everything has come full circle.

I'm not saying a series should never change hands, but MG is pretty much the best example of a series that reached a logical stopping point in pretty much every way.
I don't disagree but in terms of the Snake saga I'd say Metal Gear Rising is a pretty good candidate for continuing Kojima's MG legacy even if its not in the stealth genre.

It's harder to come up with a new game in that universe that retains the stealth elements given how crazily ramped up future tech has gotten unless you go all in Adam Jenson style.

Dremark

Banned
I don't disagree but in terms of the Snake saga but I'd say Metal Gear Rising is a pretty good candidate for continuing Kojima's MG legacy even if its not in the stealth genre.

It's harder to come up with a new game in that universe that retains the stealth elements given how crazily ramped up future tech has gotten unless yo ugo all in Adam Jenson style.

I almost addressed Rising in my original post but I think it would have moved away from the pint I was trying to make. I'm not really interested in Rising but I don't think it would be a bad idea to do a sequel if they can get most of the staff together for it or at least the people at Platinum.

If it's going to get outsourced to Ninja Theory or something I'd say no though.

Trickshot

I disagree, Kojima is solely responsible for ruining metal gear solid 5.
I agree. I had to think on it for awhile, but I do feel like Kojima's gross mismanagement of the game's budget screwed everyone over. The open world nature...I don't like it. The story is disjointed. The side ops repetitive. Everything feels unfinished after a few hours in.

Also, everything about Quiet. Ugh.

Detective

I love kojima. He is just amazing, but he really missed with MGSV.

MGS V sucks imo. Its just another farcry wanna be.

Gameplay= Repetitive as hell. Extract him, Kill him.

Empty world. ALL those long sequences with the boarding on and off the chopper. Loading. Boarding.

When calling the helicopter for pick up, Why not give the option to land on a another zone? Why do I have to get back to the menu and chose the landing zone from there?

As long as am in Africa, I should be able to call the Helicopter for pickup and drop-off on a another landing zone.

So if these are the type MGS games hes gonna make in the future, I for one wont miss him.

I agree. I had to think on it for awhile, but I do feel like Kojima's gross mismanagement of the game's budget screwed everyone over. The open world nature...I don't like it. The story is disjointed. The side ops repetitive. Everything feels unfinished after a few hours in.

Also, everything about Quiet. Ugh.

Whoa youve seen proof that Kojima mismanaged the budget? Mind sharing the proof? Itd be interesting to read.

Angel_DvA

Nah please Konami, don't do it, just make remakes of previous games and fix the lore, just do that, nothing more, nothing less.

you'll have your MGS for 10 years and we'll be happy, thanks.

GametimeUK

Kojima is great in many ways, but I look forward to seeing someone else take over the story. The world, gameplay and characters are what worry me for potential future games, but Kojima couldn't tell a great story in my opinion. I despise MGS4 and love MGS5, but that conclusion just we ruins so much. He peaked with MGS3 when he just kept it simple. It will feel like the soul has gone from the series, but I see parts vastly improving without his nonsense.

It's sort of sad that for decades Kojima has been putting every ounce of himself into this one series of games and Konami is probably going to immediately run it into the ground.

Trickshot

Whoa youve seen proof that Kojima mismanaged the budget? Mind sharing the proof? Itd be interesting to read.
The whole Moby Dick studios was unnecessary,for one. Did he really need all that? Unnecessary.

I get the need for authenticity, hiring natives and having them speak their native tongue, sure. I dig it. I doubt Sutherland was cheap.

80 million dollars, though? Does mgsv feel like an 80 million dollar game to anyone?

The whole Moby Dick studios was unnecessary,for one. Did he really need all that? Unnecessary.

I get the need for authenticity, hiring natives and having them speak their native tongue, sure. I dig it. I doubt Sutherland was cheap.

80 million dollars, though? Does mgsv feel like an 80 million dollar game to anyone?

Doesn't COD in general have the same budget around that ballpark? I for one wonder how they charge $60 for that.

Plasma

Banned

Playstation doesn't need Shu he's doing a good job there but like most people he isn't irreplaceable same goes with Kojima.

Not that I think it matters much anyway despite this interview it doesn't look like Konami are interested in making console games that aren't PES.

Playstation doesn't need Shu he's doing a good job there but like most people he isn't irreplaceable same goes with Kojima.

Not that I think it matters much anyway despite this interview it doesn't look like Konami are interested in making console games that aren't PES.

Define 'irreplaceable' because that is such a broad term. I can say Don Mattrick isn't irreplaceable despite the fuck up PR disaster leading to the X1 in and of itself.

Gorillaz

Konami looking at the final budget list like

"...what is 24 and who the fuck is a jack brawler"
"What do you mean she needs jiggle physics"
"...a vocal cord what?"

Trickshot

Doesn't COD in general have the same budget around that ballpark? I for one wonder how they charge $60 for that.
I agree. But it's COD. It prints money, still.

I found the article detailing the whole budgeting issues Konami has with Kojima.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/why-konami-fired-hideo-kojima-according-to-mgs-v-s-composer-3422325

However, I noticed they updated the article at the bottom. Hmm. Has there been any de facto reason for the falling out yet?

W.S.

I almost addressed Rising in my original post but I think it would have moved away from the pint I was trying to make. I'm not really interested in Rising but I don't think it would be a bad idea to do a sequel if they can get most of the staff together for it or at least the people at Platinum.

If it's going to get outsourced to Ninja Theory or something I'd say no though.
Yeah I think Platinum can continue the Rising series well, with anyone else it probably wouldn't work out.

You swayed me! MGSV definitely feels like a million dollar game. Damn, what did you waste your money on Kojima!?</s>

Top Bottom