• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami puts up teaser page for Castlevania: Lord of Shadows sequel

Barryman

I'm VERY excited by the prospect that it looks to be moving in an exclusively gothic direction. I loved the middle section of Lords of Shadow and it seems like this game might just expound on that aesthetic and drop the less interesting stuff.

Foffy

Banned
How ANNOYING that people are so obsessed with dragons lately. I hope this at least stays a little true to Castlevania's roots. I get Lords of Shadow was a reboot, but at the same time some links to the others would be nice.

Dracula was also know as Vlad Tepes Dracula at some point in the original continuity. The reboot has ran with the name Dracul, referencing Vlad II Dracul I suppose, who was related to Vlad the Impaler, the person that was later labeled to be Dracula.

Besides, the series has had dragons as bosses, so it's not like it would be running with an obsession that other games have.

RPGCrazied

Never got around to picking this up.

360 or PS3 version?

PS3 version has low framerate, but I didn't see any tearing. I guess the 360 version has a higher framerate and tearing? I'm sure you can find a comparison video out there.

LiK

PS3 version has low framerate, but I didn't see any tearing. I guess the 360 version has a higher framerate and tearing? I'm sure you can find a comparison video out there.

360 ver has some terrible stuttering/choppiness later in the game that wasn't in the PS3 ver.

There's tons of things to dislike and to hate about LoS, but it also showed a lot of potential. I'm hopeful.

I agreed up until that ending. There is nothing they could do from there that really excites me. I'm sure I'll rent this when it comes out and will enjoy the gameplay enough. But, they would have to pull off a miracle to salvage the story for me.

RPGCrazied

360 ver has some terrible stuttering/choppiness later in the game that wasn't in the PS3 ver.

I didn't notice any stuttering. Sure the FPS at times feels like sub 20ish, but I'd rather have that then tearing. I cannot and will not stand for that. Makes a game really ugly.

I'm excited but I hope they change the main character, it would be interesting to see where the story goes from a new hunters perspective before going back to Gabriel. At least I think it would anyway.

Went digging more in the source code.
"Dare you face the evil darkness? It is written that the creatures behind that door will return very soon to claim the souls of your loved ones, and send you straight to hell! Be aware!"
hmmm

Foffy

Banned
I wonder if there's an actual castle this time.

To be fair, for origin stories, only one of the three origin tales had an actual castle for the big batty. The other two had castles with vampires that were of no major significance.

I'm excited but I hope they change the main character, it would be interesting to see where the story goes from a new hunters perspective before going back to Gabriel. At least I think it would anyway.

I believe in LoS I it's mentioned Gabriel never had kid with Marie, which either means he's really a fake Belmont (his description in the game leads to this) or another clan takes the name Belmont.

Dascu

I agreed up until that ending. There is nothing they could do from there that really excites me. I'm sure I'll rent this when it comes out and will enjoy the gameplay enough. But, they would have to pull off a miracle to salvage the story for me.

1) They're likely ignoring that ending for now and instead making this "sequel" about what happened between LoS and its ending. At least, going by that artwork.
2) And even if they're not, I'm interested in seeing how they handle it.
Bringing in Satan was just about the dumbest thing ever though. But going into present/modern time? Heck, if nothing else, I appreciate that boldness. It's something that Igarashi tried with Aria of Sorrow and its sequel, but never really managed to expand upon.

orioto

Good Art™
9c3Oq.jpg

This should be the game, just like that, 2d sidescroller with this graphics :(

LiK

I didn't notice any stuttering. Sure the FPS at times feels like sub 20ish, but I'd rather have that then tearing. I cannot and will not stand for that. Makes a game really ugly.

the final area with those warlocks that summon those demons were terrible. it was a slideshow whenever they launched their attacks. I still hated how bad it got.

1) They're likely ignoring that ending for now and instead making this "sequel" about what happened between LoS and its ending. At least, going by that artwork.
2) And even if they're not, I'm interested in seeing how they handle it.
Bringing in Satan was just about the dumbest thing ever though. But going into present/modern time? Heck, if nothing else, I appreciate that boldness. It's something that Igarashi tried with Aria of Sorrow and its sequel, but never really managed to expand upon.

*Lords of Shadow ending spoilers*

The Sorrow Series approach to modern day or at least near future Castlevania was pretty underwhelming since you just ended up in two old style castles anyway across both games, Alucard wearing a spiffy suit under his alias and the handgun item is like as modern as it got.
LoS2 having both locations that take advantage of the modern day setting as well as the traditional gothic style locations is what I want to see, the idea of this game taking place somewhere between the end of LoS main game and the after credits scene would be a missed opportunity if you ask me, though I guess you could have both, switching between time periods and so on.

Foffy

Banned
Dave Cox is tweeting about this. So it surely is for Lords II and not Mirror of Fate.

Some things to note about what the game may potentially play like. A Mercury Steam developer said these things months ago, but I'm unsure if they've been fully applied to Lords II. But if they are..

- Mercury Steam is making a new engine
- The game may be "open world" ala Darksiders and the Batman games
- Higher quality textures and better framerate over Lords I

Dascu

The Sorrow Series approach to modern day or at least near future Castlevania was pretty underwhelming since you just ended up in two old style castles anyway across both games, Alucard wearing a spiffy suit under his alias and the handgun item is like as modern as it got.
LoS2 having both locations that take advantage of the modern day setting as well as the traditional gothic style locations is what I want to see, the idea of this game taking place somewhere between the end of LoS main game and the after credits scene would be a missed opportunity if you ask me, though I guess you could have both, switching between time periods and so on.

I feel the same way. It would be a disappointment in a sense if Mercury Steam chickened out, even though I partly disagree with how the storyline evolved at the end of LoS.

TreIII

I think that in order to tell the story well, we have to have more build up to that moment.

Because as of right now:

All we know is that a biiiiiiiiiiiig fight with Satan is going to happen, and both Zobek and Gabriel/Dracul will be participating in that. But we really don't have any other angles on the story to go on beyond that, which is why I think we need to go back and get at least one more perspective on what's happened since Gabriel's transformation. Especially if the companion game, "Mirror of Fate", brings a Trevor and Alucard up in the mix, and that Trevor ends up being the father of this timeline's Simon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally! Loved the first one, even with its issues. With those hopefully taken care of for the sequel, it could be amazing. (Yeah, I'm one of those people who didn't give a shit that LoS didn't "feel like Castlevania". It was a very well-made game, and that's that.)

Here's hoping the game can match the scope of its predecessor. Best action game I've played in a long time.

All we know is that a biiiiiiiiiiiig fight with Satan is going to happen, and both Zobek and Gabriel/Dracul will be participating in that. But we really don't have any other angles on the story to go on beyond that, which is why I think we need to go back and get at least one more perspective on what's happened since Gabriel's transformation. Especially if the companion game, "Mirror of Fate", brings a Trevor and Alucard up in the mix, and that Trevor ends up being the father of this timeline's Simon.

Didn't Dave post something about a time machine a couple months back? I haven't played the DLC yet but I didn't hear anyone mention time travel being in it.

Violater

To hell with the framerate talk, great game and possible my fav of this gen.
Day 1 for the sequel if it has the same quality at least.

Bizarrely, Lords of Shadow was the reason I bought a 360, although I forgot it until the game came out. A stunning game in terms of art direction, and a solid game in terms of gameplay.

Pumped for a sequel!

It actually looks like Konami could have a good showing at this years E3. Rising, two CV games, ZoE Collection and the Contra game that they were teasing last year. Then throw in whatever else they decide to announce. I really can't remember the last time that they had such a solid lineup for E3.

Foffy

Banned
Most likely, but Mirror of Fate is supposedly by Mercury Steam and produced by Dave Cox as well.

All that's been cited for Mirror of Fate was the involvement of Cox and Enric Alvarez, the producer and director of Lords I. I think Paul Gate even hinted that the developer is a surprise.

I hope it is at least partially Futurevania like in the
ending
. I was super excited after watching that and thinking about the possibilities. It would be great if they had a shifting timeline to tell the story and linking up the past with the present (future).

Also, sad to admit, but I think I enjoyed Castlevania: LoS more than God of War (only finished the 1+2 in HD, got series fatigued after I started 3). The combat is just more satisfying to me and feels more precise. I also enjoyed the general atmosphere and art direction more too.

Yuterald

I loved Lords of Shadow. That game's greatness was such a paradox. It was one of the VERY few (possible only one) outsourced franchises from my childhood that actually turned out well. I would have never guessed in a thousand years that Mercury Steam could have pulled that off. I'm eagerly awaiting an announcement for this!

Top Bottom