• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami puts up teaser page for Castlevania: Lord of Shadows sequel

Foffy

Banned
wait in the other thread everyone was acting like LOS was the shittiest game ever. whats going on?

There's hope that Mercury Steam has taken a lot of the complaints to heart for the sequel. They sort of struck lighting by making one of the better reboots to a very appreciated franchise no less.

Maedhros

All that's been cited for Mirror of Fate was the involvement of Cox and Enric Alvarez, the producer and director of Lords I. I think Paul Gate even hinted that the developer is a surprise.

LOL, I can see it already:

LoS2: Cox and MS. High as fuck budget.
MoF: IGA and his team. Low as hell budget. He has a month to end the game.

wait in the other thread everyone was acting like LOS was the shittiest game ever. whats going on?

That's because not everyone like LoS at all.

Holy shit YES!! Was waiting for this announcement ever since that awesome ending.

Listening to Belmont's Theme and Hunting Path in anticipation.

Hunting Path is my favorite main videogame theme of this generation. I'm not saying its the singular best piece of music written for a game this gen, but rather, the most memorable main theme to me, with Uncharted's theme a very, dangerously close second.

Concerning the ending,
I am kind of hoping they "chicken out" and don't move ahead with the contemporary setting. I have absolutely no interest in such a setting for this franchise and as much as I loved and defended the first game, that epilogue left a horrible taste in my mouth

Lhexh

There's hope that Mercury Steam has taken a lot of the complaints to heart for the sequel. They sort of struck lighting by making one of the better reboots to a very appreciated franchise no less.

I really did not like LOS that much it dragged on and on with the same music track playing throughout. What I did appreciate was the ending and what it could become.

Foffy

Banned
LOL, I can see it already:

LoS2: Cox and MS. High as fuck budget.
MoF: IGA and his team. Low as hell budget. He has a month to end the game.

Perhaps Cox and MS can help IGA get some funding. I think he funds the games with his janitor salary. ):

Grisby

So good. Can;t wait. It would be nuts (awesome) if some of the levels took place in the location from the last game's ending.

AppleMIX

tcA2x.gif

I shall dust of my PS3 for this game.

Smellycat

All that's been cited for Mirror of Fate was the involvement of Cox and Enric Alvarez, the producer and director of Lords I. I think Paul Gate even hinted that the developer is a surprise.

OMG Please let it be IGA and I will forgive Konami for all of their sins.

Gomu Gomu

Art is looking good. Seeing all those thick spoiler blocks in this thread reminded me that I have to finish the first game asap.

edit: I hope whoever did the music for the first game to return. He made an excellent job.

LowParry

I really really hope they improved the engine used so that they could lock it down to at least a solid 30fps. The first game was gorgeous. I just hope they don't have to drop the quality down to make up for the stuttering. If not, hopefully they talk of a PC version. Hype!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If this follows from the very end of LoS, I hope they explain what happene to Gabriel between the last fight and that last scene.

I know it was in the DLC, but IMO that was an incredibly stupid decision to leave something that I would consider a big part of the story as a side thing.

Foffy

Banned
Enric Alvarez is a Mercury Steam owner. :p

Yes, but he was game director to Lords. If it was Mercury Steam and just Mercury Steam, why couldn't the reports mention that? Only two people were directly cited.

Mercury Steam has some involvement, surely; they did make a prototype Castlevania game for the 3DS.

duckroll

Yes, but he was game director to Lords. If it was Mercury Steam and just Mercury Steam, why couldn't the reports mention that?

What reports? All that you have are leaks. There's nothing complete. I personally heard last year that Mercury Steam were working on both a console sequel and a portable spin-off. Things could have changed, but I haven't heard anything on the contrary either.

Foffy

Banned
What reports? All that you have are leaks. There's nothing complete. I personally heard last year that Mercury Steam were working on both a console sequel and a portable spin-off. Things could have changed, but I haven't heard anything on the contrary either.

I think it was in August of last year that Mercury Steam was showing off a prototype of Castlevania on the 3DS. But before that, we heard that IGA was working on a Castlevania game, and now we're here with things between the two merging in some fashion like an emphasis on cameras, which was the first thing we heard about the 3DS entry way back in 2010.

Granted, I don't really mind if it's true or not, but I'd like more of a Castlevania experience with these new titles. More of the vampire arc from Lords and less of everything else.

duckroll

I think it was in August of last year that Mercury Steam was showing off a prototype of Castlevania on the 3DS. But before that, we heard that IGA was working on a Castlevania game, and now we're here with things between the two merging in some fashion like an emphasis on cameras, which was the first thing we heard about the 3DS entry way back in 2010.

Granted, I don't really mind if it's true or not, but I'd like more of a Castlevania experience with these new titles. More of the vampire arc from Lords and less of everything else.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. I'll be very surprised if IGA has any involvement considering what I've heard in the past, but hey, stranger things have happened. :)

AHA-Lambda

great news, really enjoyed the first so I'm definitely up for a new one :)

I just hope Patrick Stewart doesn't sound like he's phoning it in too much this time -_-

AHA-Lambda

Maybe should spoiler that =/

I just hope this new one honestly ignores the previous game's DLC. Seriously, the first was bad but the second one? Easily some of the worst DLC I've ever played.

Foffy

Banned
Maybe should spoiler that =/

I just hope this new one honestly ignores the previous game's DLC. Seriously, the first was bad but the second one? Easily some of the worst DLC I've ever played.

I don't see how it can. The DLC clearly goes into
how Gabriel becomes a vampire.

2012 release please.

Imma probably day 1 this. Loved the shit out of Lords of Shadow. I hope the soundtrack for LOS 2 is as magnificent as the first.

Don't want to seem troll-y, but absolutely hated the first one, it's one of the few games I've returned. Stopped playing at the slowly wading through the swamp that saps your health bit. Hope the sequel gets its shit together and works out better. I want this series to be good, an alternative to GOW with some actual integrity would be rather welcome.

AHA-Lambda

I don't see how it can. The DLC clearly goes into
how Gabriel becomes a vampire.

True, but honestly I think they can get away with it. We already know from the ending of the first
that he is a vampire
without any prior explanation, they could just continue that into the second. The optional DLC would just flesh it out.

Synless

Don't want to seem troll-y, but absolutely hated the first one, it's one of the few games I've returned. Stopped playing at the slowly wading through the swamp that saps your health bit. Hope the sequel gets its shit together and works out better. I want this series to be good, an alternative to GOW with some actual integrity would be rather welcome.
I feel sorry for you then because the game was better than most that came out that year.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah, probably seems quite harsh in such an (apparently) long game, but I really didn't enjoy anything of those first few hours.

The game has about 50+ levels. And I don't see how you can say hours because you literally only played up to the first level after what was offered in the demo.

AHA-Lambda

To be fair I'll admit (as do many others) that the beginning of the game can be a bit of a slog as the game struggles to pick up steam, but yeah it definitely picks up.

Suairyu

Banned
Greatest world-building of the generation. Fucking glorious art. Above average gameplay.

Just fucking pissed that a major plot point (probably the most important of the entire game) was:
1 - relegated to DLC
2 - done terribly
I wonder if there's an actual castle this time.
Uh, the second Lord of Shadow hunt and eventual fight took place in the Castlevania castle. It just wasn't the final area.

I'm replaying the game right now and it is very... bizarre how the game does start off as more of a fantasy, Lord of the Rings influenced product... but then when you reach the mountain fortress of the Crow Witch, more gothic, darker elements start to come into play and that's where it really gets better for me.

So sure, I would agree that almost the entire first third of the game is awkward and too slowly paced. I could even see how that would turn people off. But I would absolutely urge sticking with the game at least until chapter 4. If by chapter 6 it's still not working out for you, fair game, but again the first third is way too plodding and it does get considerably better IMO.

Top Bottom