• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami puts up teaser page for Castlevania: Lord of Shadows sequel

Only an hour you say? I could've sworn it was about three hours of Patrick Stewart talking.

More power to you guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it but I didn't have the patience for what was definitely the slowest, stodgiest start to a game I've ever played.

Smellycat

Don't want to seem troll-y, but absolutely hated the first one, it's one of the few games I've returned. Stopped playing at the slowly wading through the swamp that saps your health bit. Hope the sequel gets its shit together and works out better. I want this series to be good, an alternative to GOW with some actual integrity would be rather welcome.

The game got way better after that, and then it went back to being mediocre.

Here is how I remember the game.

Mediocre---> Great!!! ----> mediocre.

Dascu

The game has about 50+ levels. And I don't see how you can say hours because you literally only played up to the first level after what was offered in the demo.
A well-designed game would make sure that none of its content is a tedious grind. One of LoS's problems was that it was too big and too long for its own good. There's far too many boring and mediocre areas in the game, that shouldn't have made the final cut.

LiK

Only an hour you say? I could've sworn it was about three hours of Patrick Stewart talking.

More power to you guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it but I didn't have the patience for what was definitely the slowest, stodgiest start to a game I've ever played.

Beginning is slow cuz it slowly gets you into the varied mechanics and combat system. Once you get to Chapter 3 it gets better and better.

Smellycat

A well-designed game would make sure that none of its content is a tedious grind. One of LoS's problems was that it was too big and too long for its own good. There's far too many boring and mediocre areas in the game, that shouldn't have made the final cut.

The swamp and sand(
underworld?
) areas come to mind.

Foffy

Banned

Quite true. I'm not saying it's a grand game. I only loved about one third of the game, and it was the part that was the most Castlevania: the vampire arc. The first part felt too generic fantasy, and the third arc was one of the most blandest parts of any Castlevania game I've ever played. It's like they ran out of color after the vampire arc and had an overdose on browns. The middle part really stands out as one of the most atmospheric parts of any Castlevania game, something that hasn't been encompassed to such an immersive experience in a castle since the N64 game.

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah, it can grate but when you get to the first Lord of Shadow, the plot twist and the subsequent boss fight just opens the game up to a world of amazing possibility. Everything before then is just an extra-long prologue.

Barryman

The first third was pretty cool, some really nice areas. The second third was one of my favorite experiences this gen. The third third was terrible.

Midou

I got to the shadow of the colossus battle in the first game and got bored with it around then, maybe I'll go back to it in the meantime.

The M.O.B

No more QTE fest golem boss battles with poor framerate please

Best part of LOS was the chess game out of nowhere.

Everything else.....average

Floex

YES!

Can't wait to see what they have done with this, loved the universe they crafted. Another 2013 game I assume :( This year sucks so hard to see what is potentially coming up next year

To be honest.. I didn't find the music in the first game to be memorable. I don't know, I think the composer was trying too hard to make it epic and it ended up backfiring. It seemed very by the numbers.
I concur, I get what they went for and hell it even fit well but I couldn't help but be disappointed. Though the new take on SC4 waterfall theme was pretty nice.

The game got way better after that, and then it went back to being mediocre.

Here is how I remember the game.

Mediocre---> Great!!! ----> mediocre.
And I also agree with this, the land of the dead felt particularly weak coming off from the Castle. And the Dracolich was a horrible "fight".

Regarding the games storyline, they should put a bit more story into the next one, for all the length LoS has the plot stays pretty basic and mostly unchanging throughout, not that I need a particularly enthralling plot or anything but considering the rather big push given to the cinematic side of things it seems that they didn't really expand on it the way they should have and the games length only highlighted it further,
Zobek's villain monologue of inevitable treachery felt like it had more dialogue than the entire game so far sans the loading screens of creepy stalking speak from the man himself

Grisby

I too think the pacing could have been better and some scenes cut for a more tighter experience. However, at the end of the game I felt like I had been on a journey from one end of the world to other, and that, is one of the game's greatest positives for me (love it when games do that ala Half-life 2, etc). I really liked all of the different locales. It's great that you can have an entirely green forestry level in something like Castlevania.

NewFresh

This sounds so cheesy:

"Dare you face the evil darkness? It is written that the creatures behind that door will return very soon to claim the souls of your loved ones, and send you straight to hell! Be aware!"

jett

D-Member
CLOS was a good game just short of greatness, I'm glad it's getting a sequel. Really interested in seeing if they'll follow the epilogue.

wait in the other thread everyone was acting like LOS was the shittiest game ever. whats going on?

people that would rather play SotN ripoffs until the end of time

What makes me sad is that we'll never get the Igavania games anymore. I'll be honest, I haven't played LoS yet but I just feel so bleh about it's gameplay. I love the style, I feel like they've finally done a 3D Castlevania game right but I could care less about the linearity and such. This is probably the new one the team from LoS is working on.

Right. People are only critical of LoS because they're mindless Igarashi fanboys.

Oh i'm not saying that, I love my Igavanias but there certainly is a bit of disdain among some that LoS could potentially represent the main direction for the series for a while.

CLOS was a good game just short of greatness, I'm glad it's getting a sequel. Really interested in seeing if they'll follow the epilogue.

people that would rather play SotN ripoffs until the end of time

It looks fun, I just prefer the nonlinear Castlevania games :\ What I would like is a 3D, non linear Castlevania game. I don't think we'll ever get it though :(

To be honest.. I didn't find the music in the first game to be memorable. I don't know, I think the composer was trying too hard to make it epic and it ended up backfiring. It seemed very by the numbers.

How did it backfire? It was amazingly well composed, beautiful, very fitting music. Haven't gamers been asking for more orchestrated soundtracks?

The worst thing about the score was how it was implemented into the game, not the music itself which was beyond exceptional.

4:55 and on blows my mind, especially 5:30.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
There are probably less god of war ripoffs than all of the SotN ripoffs that were on gba and ds.

The only straight up GoW ripoff I can think of is Dante's Inferno. I should pick up LoS again. I played up to level 4 or 5 and then I just.. got bored, I guess, and stopped playing.

rozay

Banned
How did it backfire? It was amazingly well composed, beautiful, very fitting music. Haven't gamers been asking for more orchestrated soundtracks?

The worst thing about the score was how it was implemented into the game, not the music itself which was beyond exceptional.

4:55 and on blows my mind, especially 5:30.
They need to do a better job of integrating it into the game. It felt like there was barely any music in the game with how often tracks repeated in different stages, and it didn't really mesh well with me when they were trying to make the player feel
Gabriel's descent into darkness
. Should've at least had specific themes/moods for the 3 acts of the game that meshed into the game's main theme from the trailers.

Dascu

It's not that LoS' soundtrack is bad, it's that it pales in comparison to, for example, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-4V12JLbk
But honestly, the discussion is fruitless. LoS tries something else with its score, and that's fine. It's like arguing about (post-)Team Silent games at this point.

The only straight up GoW ripoff I can think of is Dante's Inferno. I should pick up LoS again. I played up to level 4 or 5 and then I just.. got bored, I guess, and stopped playing.

To make his (silly) comparison work, you would have to add up all those other GoW games too.

Ugh.

My friend and I were new to the series and decided we should play through every single Castlevania game together before LoS came out.

So we did, and it was a blast. Afterwards, we were so, so pumped for Lords of Shadow. We had nothing but boundless positivity going in.

After slogging through all 800 hours of boredom (seriously, it's one of the only games I've ever wished was about half as long) only to
HAVE A DBZ FIGHT WITH, AND THEN CHOKE OUT SATAN
we were so thoroughly disappointed that we ranked it as the worst game of the 20 or so we had just played over the last six months.

I'm shocked that so many people here like it, honestly. I guess we're just out of touch or something, but we loved the hell out of most of the other games and have become big fans of the series now.

I think it's one of the most bloated, derivative, disappointing games I've played, and it is CERTAINLY not a Castlevania game in any important sense. Feels like a half-baked (and yet super-long) GoW clone with the license tacked on.

If all you guys love the game for what it is, good for you, that's your taste and I'm not trying to take that away from you, but do any longtime series fans actually think it's a good Castlevania game?

If all you guys love the game for what it is, good for you, that's your taste and I'm not trying to take that away from you, but do any longtime series fans actually think it's a good Castlevania game?
It could certainly use more platforming, sure there's quite a bit of clambering around walls and chain swinging but it's very guided in that horrible way where it's hard to fail and doesn't require much skill, sadly I don't see this changing in the sequel.
I try and take the game for what it is, I felt it became more than just a GoW clone once you managed to accumulate more powers but i'd certainly prefer it to be more in tune with previous CV games.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

As someone who has been playing Castlevania since I got Super Castlevania IV on the Snes, I enjoyed it for what it was and didn't go in expecting a lot so I didn't have high expectations to crush if it was terrible.

It wasn't the Castlevania I had known for so very long, but it wasn't bad, just different, I do wish though that the Castlevania I knew, loved, and had been playing for so many years hadn't seemingly been killed off for this new reboot of the series to come out.
I do wish it was a little less God of War though, I enjoy the GoW games but wish they had tried to be more different and try new ideas, still, this could be the one, lol.

As a long-time castlevania fan (no my favorite was NOT SOTN, now go away), LoS was the most boring game I've ever played, which is IMO the worst thing a game can ever be, there's nothing interesting going on in the game, the art design doesn't stand out, the enemies are completely bland and repetitive, titans are trial and error with no skill involved, and pseudo-QTE is no better than actual QTE. But the game isn't bad either, it's just...safe, it's polished but boring. And I've never been more disappointed in a Castlevania game.

how is this not completely generic?

How is it generic? You really cannot hear how well composed and performed it is? You cannot hear the clear melodies that are fluent throughout the entire score? To me "generic" music is music that is just kind of there, without any kind of cohesion or memorable themes. I cannot say that about this score.

rozay

Banned
Ugh.

My friend and I were new to the series and decided we should play through every single Castlevania game together before LoS came out.

So we did, and it was a blast. Afterwards, we were so, so pumped for Lords of Shadow. We had nothing but boundless positivity going in.

After slogging through all 800 hours of boredom (seriously, it's one of the only games I've ever wished was about half as long) only to
HAVE A DBZ FIGHT WITH, AND THEN CHOKE OUT SATAN
we were so thoroughly disappointed that we ranked it as the worst game of the 20 or so we had just played over the last six months.

I'm shocked that so many people here like it, honestly. I guess we're just out of touch or something, but we loved the hell out of most of the other games and have become big fans of the series now.

I think it's one of the most bloated, derivative, disappointing games I've played, and it is CERTAINLY not a Castlevania game in any important sense. Feels like a half-baked (and yet super-long) GoW clone with the license tacked on.

I can understand a lot of the complaints but I did enjoy it as a Castlevania. However, my opinion of the game depends on how future titles are approached-I push aside some things I disliked in part of this lore because it's an origin story. I think this next game has the potential to be better if they've listened to and understood some of the criticism of the first, the team is certainly capable of it in my mind.

As a long-time castlevania fan (no my favorite was NOT SOTN, now go away), LoS was the most boring game I've ever played, which is IMO the worst thing a game can ever be, there's nothing interesting going on in the game, the art design doesn't stand out, the enemies are completely bland and repetitive, titans are trial and error with no skill involved, and pseudo-QTE is no better than actual QTE. But the game isn't bad either, it's just...safe, it's polished but boring. And I've never been more disappointed in a Castlevania game.

Agree with every word of this.

Maffis

Thought the first one was amazing. Good graphics, good music and a really good combat system. The game was also pretty hard even on normal setting. I do wish the game had a better framerate, and sure the game felt long but I'm one of those that want more out of my games so I am not complaining.

Jubern

There was this section in the
titan graveyard
area where you had to find three parts of something (a wheel or a key?) and I was lost for so long because I didn't realize that there was a path that I didn't go to.

For some reason the developers though it was a great idea to hide that path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjtLzmZpVoo#t=1m24s

Ugh, I had somehow managed to totally forget about this fucking part until now.

How is it generic? You really cannot hear how well composed and performed it is? You cannot hear the clear melodies that are fluent throughout the entire score? To me "generic" music is music that is just kind of there, without any kind of cohesion or memorable themes. I cannot say that about this score.

The LOS score? Brilliant. Listen to it all the time in my car.

Amir0x

Banned
will only play if the framerate isn't an abominable piece of shit and they significantly add depth to the combat system. i won't be fooled twice

Top Bottom