• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

duckroll

Yes, Koji LA is being rebranded, but I just can't imagine many of those people would want to stay on, working on MGO under such circumstances. Finishing up MGSV is one thing, but to support a game after your fearless leader has been canned. Well, I've been in such situations and the atmosphere is often toxic.

Anyone can be replaced, and not everyone will leave the studio just out of "loyalty" or whatever. Keep in mind that this is a relatively new studio in America with American staff, many of whom might have moved to the area just to take the job. The studio has its own leadership as well, and we don't know if they'll be leaving just because Kojima is on the way out.

Team Ninja is still alive and filled with people working on games even after Itagaki and the core staff left. Infinity Ward is still fully staffed and growing even bigger now, even after many of the old staff left and sued Activision. Intelligent Systems continues to make Fire Emblem games to this day, long after the creator of the series bailed out. Mikami and Kamiya left Capcom, tons of employees bailed out when Clover was closed, but Resident Evil and Devil May Cry continue to be made, they even made a sequel to Okami.

Let's face it. Life goes on.

valkyre

Aint buying a metal gear game that has no Kojima in it.

Fuck Konami. They'll probaly make a Metal Gear every 2 years, milk the shit out of it.

Alienous

The next Metal Gear title will probably use its profits to fund nuclear missiles. That's how off-point Konami are with the franchises they inherit from the original creators.

eso76

They have the engine and tools.
TPP looks like the perfect canvas to just model new locations and missions and it will mostly work from a gameplay perspective. Which, however, is just a small part of mgs charme.

If they are not completely dumb, they can still remake MG1 and 2 before screwing things up completely.

Maybe Kojima and Del Toro can still work on Silent Hills and call it something else?

I think we can figure out what happened now.

No Kojima, no money for me. I've already been slightly peeved at Koji's direction since 4, what will I think of non-Koji MGs?

They seem to be laying it on a bit thick, anyone else on the conspiracy bandwagon? Feels very unusual for staff departure to be handled to openly and actively

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
1415076696910.gif

kmax

They seem to be laying it on a bit thick, anyone else on the conspiracy bandwagon? Feels very unusual for staff departure to be handled to openly and actively

Kojima and his team might be trolling once in a while, but Konami is a corporation.

They don't fuck around.

I don't know...
Without the madness/genius of Kojima the series just wouldn't feel the same.
Maybe if a developer(not counting Platinum) went in an entirely new direction with the series without emulating Kojima it could be interesting, but still.. :/

t1gerjaw

Unless Swery or Suda in charge, I'm okay with this. But they're going to give MGS to a random western dev, just like SH and fuck this up.

I love Swery and Suda, but don't want any of them near MGS, even though I don't really care about the series future now.
Swery kinda sucks design and tech wise, I still like his games, but the man isn't that good for a MGS title.
Suda is a fucking sellout that should return to his Kill the Past roots, or maybe, just maybe direct something like Silent Hills, since Fatal Frame IV was a good horror title.

Gutss

I think no one can top kojima's mind in this gaming industry, if i where konami's ill go with the new generation of japanese developers, while raw you can find some geniuses in there and try, dont give this to a western dev pls....

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it's interesting that Kojima's "this is my last Metal Gear ....oh no it's not!" meme actually turned deadly real.

I think we need to cut Kojima slack. It's pretty clear in retrospect that he's been serious about quitting many times. That he was roped in again and again was beyond his control if he wanted to keep his job. Now he stuck to his principles and it actually threatened his career.

Of course I am assuming that's the reason for the Konami/Koji fallout... but let's look at this fact that Kojima quits and the next day Konami assembles a new MG team. It kinda looks like Kojima had enough and they wouldn't let him leave easily without threatening his job....

Dervy

Neo Member
I think KojiPro are completely done. Look at their Twitter accounts for example:

http://web.archive.org/web/20141110231906/https://twitter.com/Kojima_Pro_Live
https://twitter.com/kojima_pro_live

Before it used to say "This is the official Twitter of Kojima Productions, creators of the Metal Gear series", but now it's just "Official Twitter of Metal Gear Series". On top of this, both the English and Japanese KojiPro twitters are asking people to migrate to their new twitter, https://twitter.com/metalgear_en and https://twitter.com/metalgear_jp.

I think they've folded the company...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hope you enjoy your Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell style game.

Metal Gear without the story originality is generic stealth boredom.

Metal Gear has always had that bizarre nature. And it's part of what made it compelling.

And BTW, most MGS fans who appreciate the weirdness also have issues with MGS4. That is not the barometer for the series so don't act like it is.
I thin you misinterpret stupidity for originality. There is nothing original about being that stupid and cheesy. There is a reason no one else is doing this....

BocoDragon

I thin you misinterpret stupidity for originality. There is nothing original about being that stupid and cheesy. There is a reason no one else is doing this....

Call it what you want. Stealth games and military games are a dime a dozen. Given to a committee, they turn out a by the numbers project and surprise no one.

Kojima, in the position of auteur, occasionally delivered gold and occasionally delivered shit. That's what you get from an auteur: a risk-reward situation where you sometimes get masterpiece art amongst the shit.

A committee driven MG will be boring. It might not offend you, but it will not impress you.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Sad day for the franchise, but maybe MGSV is a good closing point. Not much faith in Konami at this point not fumbling the series. Happy for Kojima, he's finally free to do other stuff, I think we can get some amazing stuff from him. A bit sad that chances are we'll never see more in the Snatcher, Policenauts and (possibly) ZOE universes. But who knows what Kojima will do on his own. It's not like massive robots or a post-apocalyptic scifi noir setting are tied to those franchises as concepts. With Kojima's enthousiasm for sandbox games, GoW etc I hope he starts out with something completely new and different. Although a stealth game from him not tied to the MG universe would be something I'd be interested in too!

What do you mean? Lots of Japanese games are as cheesy as Metal Gear.

Cheese is what makes Metal Gear what it is to me.

yuraya

Oh come on. They haven't even released V yet and already starting a new series???? No way. This has to be some elaborate hoax at this point. Either its trolling at its finest or Konami execs have legitimately lost their minds.

I'm good with Phantom Pain being the last MGS

Good luck to KojiPro, hope to see them shine

Pretty much this. Metal Gear had a good run as a series, I would be totally fine if Phantom Pain was the last one in the series that I cared about.

It's safe to assume we're going yearly, guys.

This would be sad if true. Remember when Konami used to produce all sorts of original franchises?

Erevador

This is low, even for Konami. I can't believe they are being so disrespectful towards Kojima and his team by immediately announcing these changes and starting hirings. To do things like re-brand the Kojima Productions Twitter account, and re-direct the website... it's horrible.

What incredibly short-sighted behavior, after such a long and fruitful partnership. This is like the Conan/Tonight Show situation for video games.

Horrific.

Anyone can be replaced, and not everyone will leave the studio just out of "loyalty" or whatever. Keep in mind that this is a relatively new studio in America with American staff, many of whom might have moved to the area just to take the job. The studio has its own leadership as well, and we don't know if they'll be leaving just because Kojima is on the way out.

Team Ninja is still alive and filled with people working on games even after Itagaki and the core staff left. Infinity Ward is still fully staffed and growing even bigger now, even after many of the old staff left and sued Activision. Intelligent Systems continues to make Fire Emblem games to this day, long after the creator of the series bailed out. Mikami and Kamiya left Capcom, tons of employees bailed out when Clover was closed, but Resident Evil and Devil May Cry continue to be made, they even made a sequel to Okami.

Let's face it. Life goes on.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I think Kojima probably engenders a larger amount of loyalty than other series creators, and I imagine more than a few of the LA staff came on-board to work under him. But you're right, Metal Gear will probably lumber onward like a cursed spirit.

BocoDragon

Broken clock.

No I don't mean that "it's right this time". You're missing my point.

I mean that his insistence on always saying "it's my last one" and then showing up for the next entry, is in retrospect indicative that he was always being coerced to stay on every entry.

If he refused? Well, now we know what happens...

He wasn't wishy-washy. He wasn't a liar. He was stuck in a binding situaiton to make MGS indefinitely.

deleted

It would be amazing, if Kojima was somehow able to completely close this MGS timeline and shut it all down with MGSV - kill all characters go out on a 'Time Paradox' screen..

Phantom Pain as a title for the last Kojima MGS title will be so meta in the feature. The team and the soul of those games is gone, but we can still feel it, as if the series is still there.

OG Loc

Do people really want Konami to wait for MGS V to release before they start doing this? There is no good reason for Konami to wait around.

I guess Konami finally did what Kojima couldn't...

They saved him from himself. Since he couldn't stop making Metal Gear games, they made the decision for him.

The only thing Konami would have had to do is wait until September (after the game drops), send out a flowery release thanking Kojima and co. for their years of work and detailing a transition plan and everything would have been fine.

Instead, they publicly fire the team months before the game ships, send out stupid social media tweets that reveal a shocking lack of awareness at what they just did, and in the same breath mention how they're going to keep the franchise going with a new team.

Absolute imbeciles. I hope the executive who spearheaded this is publicly shamed and fired.

Erevador

Do people really want Konami to wait for MGS V to release before they start doing this? There is no good reason for Konami to wait around.
There are very good reasons for them to do that. Being perceived as betraying the artist that the public HEAVILY associates with the franchise he created.... that's horrible press to surround your huge game release with.

Top Bottom