• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

dugdug

Banned
"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

Eat shit.

Forever.

bigol

It's crazy how people just want to say Konami is dead. He just confirmed console games will continue to be developed yet everyone is saying they are dead.

The Kojima-Konami feud is a different matter. They cancelled Silent Hills because was so involved it was impossible to continue a game without the original creator.

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

This is incredibly telling and the first I've seen a Japanese C-level admit it publicly, FWIW: AAA HD titles are being produced almost exclusively for export right now. There's no real base to sell PS4 titles to in Japan, so anything made has to be made with an eye toward export to be profitable. If it's domestic-oriented, it's going to mobile devices.

Really, as angry as I know people are at Konami (and as shitty as they've been to some of their former developers), he's just stating the market reality in Japan. If you want to make enough money to prosper, you develop for mobile or maybe the 3DS. Very little else makes sense right now. It's a grim, grim reality that has a lot of us in the loc biz setting our jaws, but it's there.

Slowdive

Banned
Not surprising, but still a shame.

Wonder what happened to the old CEO and if there was any truth to those "mad with power" rumours.

red731

tumblr_m2j5fpgG0k1qbkprxo1_500.gif

Just put that fire to the rest of the fire.

RIP

Eolz

Yeah, Konami is just late to the game and now drastically and rashly transforming.

Squeenix is trying to bounce back. Konami is just jumping ship. It's a lot closer to what Capcom did - and kinda failed.

Yeah that's what I meant. Could have been others doing that, not the end from what I'm reading.

The thing is look at what they did to Kojima and PT. Anyway it's a good thing I never believed Verendus about new Suikoden at least it doesn't hurt
much.

I think this kind of logic (but Kojima and PT) doesn't work though. It's a big restructuration, doesn't mean they'll do only that from now on. At least from this document.

Venom Fox

Banned
Saying that they are focusing aggressively on mobile doesn't exclude developing games for consoles.

In fact he says:"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

He confirms console games will continue to be developed, but they are focusing on mobile too.
MGSV and PES aren't out yet.
Read it again, he's saying that they are always thinking of how to push those franchises on to mobile too.

ZoddGutts

Don't worry guys remember they mention that they plan on continuing the Metal Gear series and are hiring.
On mobiles.

Fury451

Banned
Is this what we call an overreaction to market trends?

They're actually pretty behind by a few years now as far as market trends go. And mobile is a booming market in Japan, but the saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind.

But conceptually, yes, you would be correct.

Yeah, Konami is just late to the game and now drastically and rashly transforming.

Doesn't sound different from other japanese companies like Capcom and S-E tbh.

Nope.

Capcom at least has:

Monster Hunter 4/5
Street Fighter 5
Resident Evil 7
Dragons Dogma Online
Devil May Cry 4SE/5

Square Enix have even more and seem to b investing more into PS4 than PS3. Konami seems to be going all into mobile if rumours are true.

Xiao Hu

As long as the western market remains and Nintendo doesn't go down the shitter by adapting the horrible parts of the mobile/Japanese industry I won't worry that much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This fiscal year has phenomenal mobile results for several major traditional Japanese publishers and Konami's are improving notably so I don't think there's too much reason to be skeptical that they can handle it.

Saying that they are focusing aggressively on mobile doesn't exclude developing games for consoles.

In fact he says:"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

He confirms console games will continue to be developed, but they are focusing on mobile too.

Obviously a company wants the projects it is currently creating to sell well. That in itself doesn't mean much.

Sad Konami T^T you are but a remnant of your old self. Good luck with that F2P market on mobiles in the US if you plan to move that over here. Nobody pays for mobiles games.

Arkhanor

Well, they'll go where the money is and right now is at the mobile market. I don't know for how long, but it's there right now.

orioto

Good Art™
I hope you all realize this is video game dying right now in front of our eyes. They will all fall, one after the other.

bigol

MGSV and PES aren't out yet.
Read it again, he's saying that they are always thinking of how to push those franchises on to mobile too.

He isn't saying that, he just said thery want to put their franchises on mobile too.

That is different from saying:" We will bring our games only to mobile"

Damn. We all knew it was coming, we all saw this a mile away, but it still sucks to hear. I love the Silent Hill series, the Metal Gear series and some other Konami IPs... I don't want to see them turn into freemium App Store shovelware :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

They confirm that those two games will be released but not more than that.

This fiscal year has phenomenal mobile results for several major traditional Japanese publishers and Konami's are improving notably so I don't think there's too much reason to be skeptical that they can handle it.
Yeah, I don't see Konami failing like Capcom did.
Will they be as successful as Sega though is the main question.

Tizoc

Copy bump.

To note, for the Power Pro game he mentions, it came out recently and was grossing in the range of many hundred thousand to $1 million or so a day based on what its positioning was and what other at that position tend to gross.

...but is it available worldwide or is it Japan only?

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
So fucking sad. Konami games were great during the 80's-90's but they are now dead to me (not really an MGS fan).

Pudge

Seriously though. Fuck this company. Vote with your wallets people. Don't buy MGSV. Don't give these greedy bastards another cent, because they obviously don't care about you, and they obviously never want to make another proper Metal Gear game again. So don't reward them and fund their slot machine addiction traps.

OMG every time I hear this line ( Mobile is the future of gaming ) I feel so angry because this is just PLAIN STUPID!!

Goodbye Konami.. hope MGS5 do so good and you fail so hard on mobile.

Interfectum

That's not how I read that statement. They hope MGS5 does well while they figure out how to make the series work on mobile. I doubt we see a MGS6 and if we do it wont have near the budget of MGS5.

It's crazy how people just want to say Konami is dead. He just confirmed console games will continue to be developed yet everyone is saying they are dead.

The Kojima-Konami feud is a different matter. They cancelled Silent Hills because was so involved it was impossible to continue a game without the original creator.
With Kojipro gone most of the talent left in the company will also be gone.

You can probably expect console titles like shitty PES games and Silent Hill games made by D-tier western studios. That sounds like death to me.

QaaQer

This is incredibly telling and the first I've seen a Japanese C-level admit it publicly, FWIW: AAA HD titles are being produced almost exclusively for export right now. There's no real base to sell PS4 titles to in Japan, so anything made has to be made with an eye toward export to be profitable. If it's domestic-oriented, it's going to mobile devices.

Really, as angry as I know people are at Konami (and as shitty as they've been to some of their former developers), he's just stating the market reality in Japan. If you want to make enough money to prosper, you develop for mobile or maybe the 3DS. Very little else makes sense right now. It's a grim, grim reality that has a lot of us in the loc biz setting our jaws, but it's there.

Great post.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nope.

Capcom at least has:

Monster Hunter 4/5
Street Fighter 5
Resident Evil 7
Dragons Dogma Online
Devil May Cry 4SE/5

Square Enix have even more and seem to b investing more into PS4 than PS3. Konami seems to be going all into mobile if rumours are true.
Capcom is doing a dual transition to mobile/online and digital (note all the online, episodic, download, and heavy DLC games) with a couple of big retail games, often as bases for selling lots of DLC later.

Top Bottom