• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

BibiMaghoo

As much as I hate this outcome, they are not really wrong are they, especially with the 'general public' target audience.

Dark_castle

Doesn't sound different from other japanese companies like Capcom and S-E tbh.

SE is still actively making console and traditional handheld games, whereas I'm inclined to think Konami is quitting console business altogether barring PES.

bigol

Obviously a company wants the projects it is currently creating to sell well. That in itself doesn't mean much.

"Continue" is the key word. They will not abandon Pes, MGS; Silent Hill, development on console so easily.

Anyway, i'm out the doom topic.

Konami won't die, but their computer gaming division might.
Although it is sad that I seen more money pumped into gambling than gaming from Konami.

He isn't saying that, he just said thery want to put their franchises on mobile too.

That is different from saying:" We will bring our games only to mobile"

He isn't saying what you said either. He didn't comment on the future of those franchises on consoles at all (that I can see) beyond the games he listed.

To all the annoying "lol!!!" jokers in this thread who do not understand the market:

squarezms7q.png

Konami is right. Mobile is growing for Square-Enix. Mobile is growing for everybody. HD gaming is shrinking if you are not called ACTIVISION or EA (even I have doubt here that it is not shrinking for EA).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just one more reason I dislike mobile.

The TYPES of games that are succeeding are what bother me. I really really actively dislike them and will never support them.

Venom Fox

Banned
He isn't saying that, he just said thery want to put their franchises on mobile too.

That is different from saying:" We will bring our games only to mobile"
Other above and below me are reading it the same way I'd did.
I dunno, we'll see what they do.

They're gonna wreck MGS aren't they :(

This fiscal year has phenomenal mobile results for several major traditional Japanese publishers and Konami's are improving notably so I don't think there's too much reason to be skeptical that they can handle it.

Wouldn't be a NeoGAF thread without an extremely childish reaction to mobile gaming, though.

SeanTSC

Doesn't sound different from other japanese companies like Capcom and S-E tbh.

Massively different than Square-Enix, if you go and actually look at the thread with their numbers. Diversification has paid off for them and investing in *both* mobile and big titles is what is pushing them forward. Square-Enix has a huge push back into AAA coming over the next couple years too. Square-Enix's brand still means something, because they still care about their big legacy hits and that helps their mobile division make as much as it does.

Capcom has been keeping their brand going with big titles too and has been embracing the digital mid-tier. Only $25 for DMC4:SE and RE Revelations 2. Plus, they've still got a lot of big titles coming with Street Fighter V, Dragon's Dogma Online, a new Resident Evil to be announced at E3, etc. They're doing a decent job at being diverse.

Going pure mobile isn't going to do shit for Konami. Their brands are going to lose all meaning and no one is going to give a crap about any of their titles. I do not at all believe that they are going to be suddenly pulling in way more money on mobile by dropping console/PC development (at least not long term). Konami's gaming division is going to fade into obscurity until the only thing gaming related that they still make is Pachinko machines.

IvorB

So MGS is going mobile. Konami is the gift that keeps on giving at this point. On the bright side, maybe he means Vita...

suaveric

Weren't companies saying this 7-8 years ago too? PS4 sales numbers say hi Konami.

To be fair it's not that different from what some other Japanese companies have shifted focus towards, but I shudder to think of all their good IPs going mobile only. Yikes.

PS4 sales in Japan say hi back.

joezombie

Is this what we call an overreaction to market trends?

It's an overreaction to their domestic market. In Japan, mobile is in fact killing everything else dead, and for whatever reason a lot of Japanese companies can be pretty myopic about things beyond their shores

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To all the annoying "lol!!!" jokers in this thread who do not understand the market:

squarezms7q.png

Konami is right. Mobile is growing for Square-Enix. Mobile is growing for everybody. HD gaming is shrinking if you are not called ACTIVISION or EA (even I have doubt here that it is not shrinking for EA).
Sega and Namco had very strong mobile results as well this year.

kmax

This is the reality in Japan right now. Mobile is king, and the shift is apparent. These latest developments we've seen from Konami confirms their position when it comes to gaming.

Oh no, Konami's huge, varied output of console games such as

-
-
-

and also

-
-

will go to mobile!

Konami's been dead for fucking years now

njean777

I hope you all realize this is video game dying right now in front of our eyes. They will all fall, one after the other.

And others will take over, the west is doing so now. Japan use to be the bastion of gaming, but hasn't been since last generation. Pc/Console gaming will not die, and mobile will not take over

Fury451

Banned

Yeah, and that's been that way for awhile. I should've quoted the part where he's talking about pushing mobile in the West, as that was what I was referring to.

Western trends don't match up with Japanese gaming trends, but to throw the baby out with the bathwater and believe the answer is all-mobile isn't the solution either.

Syntsui

Come on guys, he is right. They would be stupid if they ignored a market that makes millions a day. That sucks for us traditional gamers, but time has changed, the market has changed, the consumers have changed...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, Japan has fallen off when it comes to traditional games but they're still viable elsewhere. The install base for PS4 world wide is huge right now and growing rapidly.

Both should be able to co-exist.

I love my phone but I hate what it has done to the industry.

Welfare

And just like that, one more publisher that I will never get another game from again (after MGSV).

This generation really blows with how few publishers are left in the console space.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yep, the amount of money we hear mobile games are making is ridiculous. I mean, remember the Super Bowl ads for friggin' mobile games? and those aren't even good games.
In Japan the issue is also that the traditional industry is falling tremendously.

Just one more reason I dislike mobile.

The TYPES of games that are succeeding are what bother me. I really really actively dislike them and will never support them.

IMO it has to do with the price point. I am all for $40 (yes, $40) iOS titles if they give me the depth and longevity of PS4/ Xbone titles (of course the graphics will be worse). Hell, if there are $40 NDS games then why not $40 iOS games?

Just make them 40 hours long, without the shitty "stamina" system. Make them turn-based if you like or reflex-touch based - I do not care.

But the truth is no one will release such game when $2.99 titles are flooding the market...

video games aren't dying, they're simply transitioning to a different medium
Yep.
We have to remember the death of the arcade when consoles took over.
Now consoles are facing the same battle with mobile devices.

It would have to take something huge to kill gaming all together.
However, it could become something most hardcore gamers do not like. But that doesn't really matter since corporations just want what makes money and not makes you happy.

executor

I'm quite astonished that a company with a deep link with consoles games as Konami decide on such a harsh move now, and expecially now that the mobile market is seeing the first signs of what will probably be a mobile bubble...
Indie mobile development is already phasing out of mobile space and big groups (kings, rovio etc) are already suffering for the switch in the pay perspective of mobile users (AKA Gimme all free and without ads.....). Surely there're still a lot of money in the mobile market but I'm not so sure that there's enough space for all those big players.....
Anyway, as always, time will tell...

Venom Fox

Banned
Why don't people understand that Mobile, PC and Console games can live side by side?
People aren't thinking "fuck the PS4 and Xbox one, I'll buy an IPhone 6 instead".
It's just that those people who buy these phones are becoming more interested in fast, pick up and play games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't like this, but let's be honest. Mobile IS the future of gaming, in terms of install base, accessibility, investments needed (lower), profit, margins (higher) and business model (way more flexible).

I don't likt this at all, I don't like to play on mobile devices and so on, so I'm not happy, but the economics are leading in this direction for awhile.

I may be a little drunk but I'm literally crying because of this. It's depressing, almost solely because they will get away with this. Their love for mobile and hate for tattoos are really the only things I dislike of japan

kswiston

Wouldn't be a NeoGAF thread without an extremely childish reaction to mobile gaming, though.

I think more people would be fine with mobile gaming if we got quality games from these big companies that weren't just gambling simulations in a F2P game dressing. Some of those gambling simulators are fun and can be enjoyed for little to no money if you are patient (I have been casually playing Puzzle and Dragons for over 2 years now), but most are greedy attempts at ringing as much cash as possible out of gamers before they are bored and move on.

Top Bottom