• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

MilkyJoe

tumblr_m43hjlRr8c1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

Is he saying they are thinking of how to push their mobile games overseas or that they want MGS to become a mobile game? lol

Could at least give Hudson to someone else before you swap focus!

Bleh..well at least I don't think one could ruin Bomberman on a phone.

nah it's gone. rip hudson

koutoru

I'm now convinced that when they said they were hiring for a new Metal Gear games they meant mobile Metal Gear games
and Metal Gear themed pachinko's

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Welp

I'm definitely done with Konami now

VQq26Ry.jpg

Looks like the dream is dead now :(
Definitely the worst thing for me about this. Maybe they've been working on it for a little while already, that's the only chance we'll get it...

It makes sense, the investment required to make a console game is significantly higher than making a mobile game while the ROI isn't as high as mobile. Unfortunately konami doesn't have the resources to keep competing against AAA games from the west and they certainly cannot only rely on MGS once every few years becAuse that isn't sustainable in the long run either.

So either way Konami was fucked and they decided to take the safer choice. Ultimately they only have a responsibility to their shareholders not gamers, I think it is the only choice they have.

TunaLover

Mostly I am a bit worried when 2 million and 5 million sales can still be considered a failure and lead to developers being closed.
I think the huge AAA budget will kill traditional gaming more than mobile would.
This is quite an irony, that AAA development only make the process towards casual mobile gaming alot faster.

kpaadet

I guess they did us all a favor by getting rid of Kojima, would break my heart to see him forced to make a shallow mobile game.

Yep, I can see it happening slowly. I love the consoles and still play on them today more than PC, but I can see the future and the Pc looks to be where the hardcore games will go.
The main thing PC's have holding them back is the lack of a OS version where you can plug and play. Windows 10 will probably fix this and the new Xbox will run on Windows, but we shall see.
It is not hard to make a walled garden and still run Android/Windows.

This is quite an irony, that AAA development only make the process towards casual mobile gaming alot faster.
Well in the publishers eyes they want to make $2 million in profit on Game A. They can either spend at least $10 million on development and hope it sells $12 million or spend $100,000 on a platform with a larger userbase. If the game fails, then $10 million versus $100,000 is huge. It makes sense for publishers to want to take the less risky road.

I really don't know what to blame. Perhaps it is the console typical gamer who wants huge flashy cutscenes that look cool which is why most AAA games feel they need to spend lots of money on CGI. How indies are not real games and do not count. Yeah actually it is probably that reason why FFXIII was so bad focusing on the presentation more than gameplay.

Sijil

Well don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Can't wait for the mobile bubble to burst, even if it takes a decade.

Error1355

This Konami stuff has been super fun to watch take place. It's like every morning I wake up and get something new about it!

Last good Castlevania and Contra came out in like 2010 or earlier, most other series have been dead for far longer. So this isn't exactly shocking. I just wish MGR2 isn't canned.

Their peak was in the '80s with Famicom/NES, IMO. I hope they license their IP and still dabble with digital on console and PC, though, even if just for the sake of nostalgia. We need a kickass Konami collection of arcade and console games from the '80s and '90s this gen.
Yeah NES and SNES, most memorable games for me were on SNES, Castlevania, Turtles in time, sunset riders, Goemon, Gradius, Contra, international star soccer, animaniacs...

SeanTSC

Western devs and publishers didn't abandon dedicated systems to move to mobile, they just diversified. As a result it's a lot healthier because those users have games to look forward to.

Japanese developers are diversifying too and Square-Enix especially is still staying with big console titles. People just like to ignore the fact that they have a ton of huge games coming and decry that Japanese AAA is dying. Deus Ex: MD, Rise of the Tomb Raider, FFX-HD, FF-Type 0 HD, FF15, KH3, DQ Heroes 1/2, and probably DQ11 all say hi.

Square-Enix is just as diverse as the big Western Publishers. Capcom is moving in that direction too. Having a healthy library across all platform types is good. You adapt to that or you die. I think publishers who dump all of their eggs into the mobile basket to the point of shunning everything else are going to be just as forgotten as THQ is in a few years.

MrBadger

Welp

I'm definitely done with Konami now

VQq26Ry.jpg

Looks like the dream is dead now :(

Well, at least Platinum Games aren't owned by Konami. The odds of getting a MGR2 seem to have gone from "almost guaranteed" to "slim" in these last few months though and that depresses me.

I know people often joke about MGS 6, FF XVI being on mobiles. But the truth is, I doubt they will ever get a mobile release unless the console industry is completely dead. So yeh, at best, we can expect spin-offs based on the popular franchises.

To all the annoying "lol!!!" jokers in this thread who do not understand the market:

squarezms7q.png

Konami is right. Mobile is growing for Square-Enix. Mobile is growing for everybody. HD gaming is shrinking if you are not called ACTIVISION or EA (even I have doubt here that it is not shrinking for EA).

Yup, I agree, and it's way less risky aswell

Tizoc

Mobile companies rise and fall every day. It's all short term success. Get in and get out.

Kindly enlighten us on what mobile company went in the red/bankrupt the other day :V

I think what you're trying to say is that a mobile game can only remain popular for so long, eg. Angry Birds.

In that context, I'd agree.

is, Konami is a mistake, not was. Was would imply that the work they did that made them so beloved were trash, eg SotN.

Tizoc, the joke would not be the same so stop saying that. It comes from the "Anime was a mistake" joke, you just change the first word, not the rest.

Mithos

This fiscal year has phenomenal mobile results for several major traditional Japanese publishers and Konami's are improving notably so I don't think there's too much reason to be skeptical that they can handle it.

Phenomenal compared to what?

Shengar

Mobile is where the future of gaming lies
*blech
This is like saying pulp magazine is the future of literature. Steadily this industry is become unbearable for person who put creativity first like me.

marcincz

That's sad.
I've been playing in Konami games since '86 when my parents bought to us Atari 65 XE.

Gyruss, Frogger, Contra, Silent Hill, Castlevania, Turtles and especially MGS. Now, I am really sad.

eso76

Ok Gaf.
This is our only hope.

Here's the plan.
We need to kill mobile gaming profitability.

We can't stop people from playing those things and wasting their money on them. But we can offer entirely free and superior alternatives to the most popular mobile genres.
It's not too many, and it's not expensive games we need to be making.

I'm starting a KS or gofoundme right now.

We shall be known as
Neo mobile and f2p games liberationists.

Piccoro

When did konami get a nee ceo? Or is the same one that fucks with kojima?

I'm wondering this too. According to Wikipedia, Kozuki, (the old man that is supposedly burning Konami to the ground), is still the president.
And I can't find any info of that new CEO.

Anyway, I'm a really big fan of Japanese games, but I honestly don't care if Konami goes mobile, or leaves gaming altogether.
All of the other Japanese companies are releasing lots of console games. Capcom, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Koei Tecmo...
Who needs Konami anyway? MGS was the only good franchise that they recently released.
Good riddance.

Japanese developers are diversifying too and Square-Enix especially is still staying with big console titles. People just like to ignore the fact that they have a ton of huge games coming and decry that Japanese AAA is dying. Deus Ex: MD, Rise of the Tomb Raider, FFX-HD, FF-Type 0 HD, FF15, KH3, DQ Heroes 1/2, and probably DQ11 all say hi.

Square-Enix is just as diverse as the big Western Publishers. Capcom is moving in that direction too. Having a healthy library across all platform types is good. You adapt to that or you die. I think publishers who dump all of their eggs into the mobile basket to the point of shunning everything else are going to be just as forgotten as THQ is in a few years.

"Deus Ex: MD" Western dev.
"Rise of the Tomb Raider" Western dev.
"FFX-HD" HD Remaster
"FF-Type 0 HD" HD Remaster
"FF15" OK
"KH3" OK
"DQ Heroes 1/2" OK

Anyway, I'm glad SE as a publisher is still supporting AAA gaming (even if its western side seemingly operates on its own). Also, I'm glad FFXIV: ARR did well or we could be telling another story now.

Top Bottom