• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

Mr. RHC

8mONXVW.gif
Yup! haha It was nice knowing them.

Whether or not this is a right move doesn't matter much for me, I don't play social mobile games.

njean777

Yep.
We have to remember the death of the arcade when consoles took over.
Now consoles are facing the same battle with mobile devices.

It would have to take something huge to kill gaming all together.
However, it could become something most hardcore gamers do not like. But that doesn't really matter since corporations just want what makes money and not makes you happy.

Hardcore will just go to the PC, PC will always be around. That is my plan if consoles die.

Fury451

Banned
Come on guys, he is right. They would be stupid if they ignored a market that makes millions a day. That sucks for us traditional gamers, but time has changed, the market has changed, the consumers have changed...

...in Japan. Not everywhere.

There's always going to be certain games that will not play well on mobile.

Pudge

I hope you all realize this is video game dying right now in front of our eyes. They will all fall, one after the other.

Maybe in Japan. The old guard that walk this path will die out and be replaced by dozens of smaller companies building a new legacy and creating the games that they want to play. Games of quality will never die out, and gaming will never be all mobile. There are too many genres and experiences that just cannot be touched in that form factor.

deadlast

I feel like what I want out of gaming is not what the video game market wants out of gaming.
I can still buy things I like, but if the market keeps moving in that direction then my options are going to become much slimmer.

Red Mage

Coming Soon: Suikoden iOS. Collect all 108 Stars of Destiny, only 1.99 each!*

*Each purchase is random, and may include copies of previously obtained characters. Any copy gives that character +1 Levels.

;_;

SerTapTap

Just one more reason I dislike mobile.

The TYPES of games that are succeeding are what bother me. I really really actively dislike them and will never support them.

Honestly this is my biggest problem with mobile other than slimey F2P schemes--the genres that Mobile tends to support are extremely narrow. IT was very telling that Zynga recently refocused around 5 specific genres of games, the type that there are already literally thousands of on the market.

Coming Soon: Suikoden iOS. Collect all 108 Stars of Destiny, only 1.99 each!*

*Each purchase is random, and may include copies of previously obtained characters. Any copy gives that character +1 Levels.

;_;

On the plus side, All The Bravest was apparently too disgusting (or perhaps just too narrow in appeal) to particularly thrive on mobile.

I don't like this, but let's be honest. Mobile IS the future of gaming, in terms of install base, accessibility, investments needed (lower), profit, margins (higher) and business model (way more flexible).

I don't likt this at all, I don't like to play on mobile devices and so on, so I'm not happy, but the economics are leading in this direction for awhile.
Exactly.
Lower budgets with the same profit potential means more money in both publishers and developers pockets.

Also I agree PC gaming will not die in general. People forget that PC gaming didn't go anywhere when Atari died out.
The new death of gaming will mostly be I think the high costs of developing AAA games. It seems you need at least $5 million to get anything done.

Weren't companies saying this 7-8 years ago too? PS4 sales numbers say hi Konami.

To be fair it's not that different from what some other Japanese companies have shifted focus towards, but I shudder to think of all their good IPs going mobile only. Yikes.
PS4 sales numbers alone mean little when combined sales are tracking behind last gen and AAA dev budgets continue to rise.

ps3ud0

Man if this is where gaming is going, then soon it will be time to outgrow it. I just cant see myself ever having the same experience on a mobile phone, games on that are just there to kill some time, not to make time for and appreciate.

Why do I get a feeling the OP might be why Kojima and Konami parted ways - I doubt hes that interested in mobile gaming?!?

ps3ud0 8)

Zach

Eh, wasn't planning on supporting them after the Kojima debacle anyway. Thanks for the great games over the years, though, Konami -- specifically the Metal Gear series and Turtles in Time. :D

SmokyDave

Huh. I hope there's a Metal Gear Solid Touch 2. The first one was OK, but it was years ago when smartphones were strange and new. I'd like to see a modern sequel.

Tizoc

Capcom is doing a dual transition to mobile/online and digital (note all the online, episodic, download, and heavy DLC games) with a couple of big retail games, often as bases for selling lots of DLC later.

Capcom had to end services for a bunch of their iOS games though right? Their main success has lately been with consoles and the 3DS. They be doin' something weird if they ain't making bank on iOS stuff.

Fury451

Banned
Welp

I'm definitely done with Konami now

VQq26Ry.jpg

Looks like the dream is dead now :(

Nah, touchscreen controlled Raiden will be incoming. But you only can use Zandatsu 10 times per day- only $1.99 for a recharge.

PS4 sales numbers alone mean little when combined sales are tracking behind last gen and AAA dev budgets continue to rise.

That is true- in a subsequent post I clarified that I was responding to the particular quote in which he refers to pushing mobile in the west.

This one:

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

Point being that there is still a thriving traditional game market, just not in their home region at the moment.

Crema

I may be a little drunk but I'm literally crying because of this. It's depressing, almost solely because they will get away with this. Their love for mobile and hate for tattoos are really the only things I dislike of japan

They would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you pesky Gaffers!

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

Metal Gear Solid 6, free-to-play on iOS and Android.

Pay $1 to refill Snake's energy meter and keep playing immediately, or wait 5 hours while he smokes a cigarette...

vg260

This is a scary sentence.

Yes, it sad to see the rise in selling consumables, not actual content. More sad that so many people spend money on such schemes to make it a viable business model.

I don't have anything against mobile games inherently, but so many are just glorified gambling games.

Somnid

yea, home consoles are struggling there. it's so different than what's going on in the West.

Western devs and publishers didn't abandon dedicated systems to move to mobile, they just diversified. As a result it's a lot healthier because those users have games to look forward to.

QaaQer

I don't like this, but let's be honest. Mobile IS the future of gaming, in terms of install base, accessibility, investments needed (lower), profit, margins (higher) and business model (way more flexible).

I don't likt this at all, I don't like to play on mobile devices and so on, so I'm not happy, but the economics are leading in this direction for awhile.

People still play board games, sports, word games, PNP rpgs, etc. and will far into the future. Console/PC gaming will be the same.

Macrotus

I remember Konami was saying they will continue to develop the MGS series.
I guess the next MGS after MGSV would be on mobile phones :(

eso76

Holy shit, that message reads like he tried hard to piss Neogaf off in every possible way.
I believe he managed to mention every single business practice people loathe here.
Amazing 573 hit combo.

Wow.

The backlash will be huge, but they'll still laugh sitting on a mountain of cash.

Neff

It's crazy how people just want to say Konami is dead. He just confirmed console games will continue to be developed yet everyone is saying they are dead.

This part is literally invisible to anyone requiring the emotional ammunition to fire off a few rage rounds over recent events.

It goes without saying that they'll continue to make games and merchandise based on franchises which still command attention, and they do have a few of those, contrary to popular belief.

Have you missed the recent announcement of Nintendo investing into mobile?

lol

Hasney

I'm quite astonished that a company with a deep link with consoles games as Konami decide on such a harsh move now, and expecially now that the mobile market is seeing the first signs of what will probably be a mobile bubble...
Indie mobile development is already phasing out of mobile space and big groups (kings, rovio etc) are already suffering for the switch in the pay perspective of mobile users (AKA Gimme all free and without ads.....). Surely there're still a lot of money in the mobile market but I'm not so sure that there's enough space for all those big players.....
Anyway, as always, time will tell...

I agree with this. The pie is only so big and can support so much, with Sega planning to flood the market over the next financial year with a new game per week, it's going ot be easy for anything to get lost in the shuffle. I think there's going to be a couple of big name publishers that are hedging the bets on mobiles get burnt by it over the next few years.

Definitely think pes is done after this years entry. They've seen the franchise sales dwindling for years.

It won't be fully. They might double down on the MyClub F2P model if that works, but it will be on console in some form. IIRC, 2015 saw a resurgence in sales, although not a major shift. The current game has additional revenue streams that people can pay for as well as the MyClub mode has a currency, so depending on how well that did, it could be a much better result financially.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Everyone saw this coming. You're a joke, Konami.

Looking forward to laughing at all the bastardized mobile versions of your franchises.

From SNES top developers to a pile of poop

Their peak was in the '80s with Famicom/NES, IMO. I hope they license their IP and still dabble with digital on console and PC, though, even if just for the sake of nostalgia. We need a kickass Konami collection of arcade and console games from the '80s and '90s this gen.

Mobile is a new market of gamers.

People thinking traditional gaming will die are a bit off the mark.

Mostly I am a bit worried when 2 million and 5 million sales can still be considered a failure and lead to developers being closed.
I think the huge AAA budget will kill traditional gaming more than mobile would.

Top Bottom