• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Director Takes on Cinema Sins

Cruxist

http://collider.com/kong-skull-island-criticism-jordan-vogt-roberts/

Mystery Science Theatre built something artful, endearing and comedic on top of the foundation other people's work. It had merit to itself.

Things like Cinema Sins simply suck the life blood of other people and are often just wrong about intent or how cinema works. It's terrible.

It just makes me sad they get so many views / contribute to the dumbing down of cinema as they syphon other people's work for their own gain

More at the link.

Mesoian

I mean, his movie was stupid fun but I don't know if I'd call it good. Cinema Sins is pretty much correct for most of the video.

But yes, there are a lot of times where Cinema Sins is intentionally obtuse in order to push a joke. Generally when that happens, the joke falls flat.

Sephzilla

I'm all for people shitting on Cinema Sins. They almost always come off as mean spirited to me and 80% of their sins are because they don't factor in context for whatever they're talking about.

CinemaSins is, literally, just pointing out flaws in films... if you don't want your film on it, don't have flaws.

It's also comedy, I'm fairly certain those guys onlt nitpick because it's funny.

Mesoian

Is the difference that Cinema Sins purports to be authoritative?

In a sort of jokey not really way.

Like, do you think John Rolfe is doing things to be authoritative? I think people forget that CS is trying to be funny more than it is trying to be a critic. That's why I don't get the "Everything Great About..." channel which feels like it started not understanding the joke, and ended up being successful in it's own right.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
DHSbUa7VoAALca_.jpg

@VogtRoberts
It's called a match cut or graphic rhyming. So yes. I could have shown it. This is a choice that has nothing to do with a graphic shot later

Gonna have to side with Roberts here.

It's also comedy, I'm fairly certain those guys onlt nitpick because it's funny.

Except it kinda stopped being funny after a year or two and became the equivalent of "Big Bang Theory" comedy by just pointing out something with almost no punchlines 90% of the time.

I agree pretty much, there's no real value in them, dude's know jack shit about filmmaking, yet influence opinion on a vast scale.

CinemaSins is, literally, just pointing out flaws in films... if you don't want your film on it, don't have flaws.

Except, as Vogt-Roberts points out in his thread. Many of their "flaws" are factually untrue, or aren't even actual flaws.

CinemaSins fucking sucks. It's this kind of grossly negative, lowest common denominator criticism that I think really doesn't accomplish a single thing.

BY2K

Membero Americo

There's nitpicking and there's not even watching the fucking film.

Which is something Cinema Sins seems to be guilty of a lot.

And no, it's not for Comedy. Often the criticism he points out in Cinema Sins he will have in his actual reviews.

jrush64

Banned
CinemaSins is awesome and funny. They always say don't take them seriously and they nitpick because they're dicks.

Veelk

Banned
He's not wrong, Cinema Sins is film criticism cancer.

However, you know the last time a film maker criticizing his critics has worked out for him, no matter how right he was? Me neither.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Eh he isn't wrong. Cinema sins tends to come across as smarky chodes just whining about movies. I can just read a gaf thread if I want that.

Slayven

Stop giving goofy youtubers the time of day, they are building off your crumbs leave it at that.

Anyone that titles their work "Everything wrong with...." is not interesting in the fine details of film making.

Those who can create do, those who can't make quick cut youtube videos

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
He sounds salty. Cinema sins is funny because we all take a suspension of disbelief into the theater when we go, it's part of seeing movies. It's then funny to go back and see someone point out just how ridiculous some movies are (Fast & Furious).

I don't think they are trying to convince people the movies suck, they are being entertaining by removing that suspension of disbelief and pointing out things about the movie.

Poppy

generally it helps to be intelligent when you nitpick things unless you just want to make idiots think you are smart

-griffy-

Banned

This might hold water if they didn't often point out stuff that aren't actually flaws through seeming ignorance or without taking context into account in an effort to pump up the number of "sins" in any given video. That people will actually drop links to their videos as evidence/support a movie is empirically bad kind of proves his point.

Honest Trailers are a much better version of a similar concept.

Except, as Vogt-Roberts points out in his thread. Many of their "flaws" are factually untrue, or aren't even actual flaws.

CinemaSins fucking sucks. It's this kind of grossly negative, lowest common denominator criticism that I think really doesn't accomplish a single thing.

Yeah, and I don't think it's actually supposed to be a critical assessment of films, there's no critical feedback, it's just point out stuff in movies from every genre, be they critically acclaimed or absolute stinkers. It's not supposed to accomplish anything other than point in in sub-20 minute videos a lot of stuff that happens in films with next to no cohesive nature. If anyone is taking it seriously, like the director of a film, I think he's taking it too personally.

HEY YOU GUYS ITS JUST A JOKE SO BECAUSE ITS A JOKE YOU CAN'T CALL IT OUT BECAUSE JOKES ARE UN CRITICIZABLE YOU KNOW STOP CARING SO MUCH YOU THINK TOO MUCH TRY CARING ABOUT SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT LOL ITS JUST A JOKE WHY SO SRS LOL STOP TAKING JOKES SO PERSONA—Sharon please, you don't know what its like here in this apartment by myself I wake up alone and it smells like crab downstairs I just want to see the kids again please can't you just forgi—

Sephzilla

He sounds salty. Cinema sins is funny because we all take a suspension of disbelief into the theater when we go, it's part of seeing movies. It's then funny to go back and see someone point out just how ridiculous some movies are (Fast & Furious).

I don't think they are trying to convince people the movies suck, they are being entertaining by removing that suspension of disbelief and pointing out things about the movie.

Their Captain America: Winter Soldier episode made me think they were on a quest to convince people the movie sucks. They make a couple of not too subtle jabs at everyone liking the movie.

Cinemasins has always been the dumbest kind of trash. It makes me sad that there are people who actually consume that lazy 'comedy'.

Someone showed me a couple CS videos once and I got the overwhelming sensation that the guy was purposefully missing the point in order to tally up sins half the time.

SeanC

It's the bi-weekly "Fuck Cinema Sins" thread!

And I'm cool with it.

CS doesn't come across as humorous for sake of being humorous, they take the "movie snob critic" idea that permeates through 90% of trash Youtube film criticism and legitimize it. People cite CS as a source for their dislike if not hatred towards something, a way to validate their feelings and unable to realize how wrong CS is most of the time, not as a joke.

They simultaneous devalue fun/mocking/jokey movie videos as well as legitimate film analysis and criticism by simply existing.

I mean, they're Youtubers, so they're just going to do whatever for hits. Probably shouldn't read too mu-

HEY YOU GUYS ITS JUST A JOKE SO BECAUSE ITS A JOKE YOU CAN'T CALL IT OUT BECAUSE JOKES ARE UN CRITICIZABLE YOU KNOW STOP CARING SO MUCH YOU THINK TOO MUCH TRY CARING ABOUT SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT LOL ITS JUST A JOKE WHY SO SRS LOL

AUGH

Honest trailers is far superior to cinema sins. It is possible to make fun of movies in a silly way which I think honest trailers achieves. Cinema sins is just negativity and nitpicks in an unfunny way in some desperate attempt to seem intellectually superior to creative people without actually having to do anything creative themselves.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Cinema Sins is fucking awful.

Honest trailers is more of my jam. They dont mind admitting that a movie is good. the flaws they pick are mostly true and its definitely not mean spirited.

Cinema Sins is for people who love to hate everything.

BTails

I've never heard of Cinema Sins before this thread, but everything I've seen/read from Vogt-Roberts has been pretty interesting. I really hope he gets an opportunity to make his Metal Gear Solid movie he's been working on for a while.

Wasn't the biggest fan of Kong Skull Island, but I'm a bigger fan of it than Cinema Sins. MST3K and Honest Trailers do what they do so much more endearingly than CS ever has, in my opinion. CS just seems like the YouTube equivalent of that one guy at a dinner party who belabors his issue about whatever brand of cheez-wiz is being served with the crackers.

Honest trailers is far superior to cinema sins. It is possible to make fun of movies in a silly way which I think honest trailers achieves. Cinema sins is just negativity and nitpicks in an unfunny way in some desperate attempt to seem intellectually superior to creative people without actually having to do anything creative themselves.

Yeah, Honest Trailers is fucking great.

Slayven

HEY YOU GUYS ITS JUST A JOKE SO BECAUSE ITS A JOKE YOU CAN'T CALL IT OUT BECAUSE JOKES ARE UN CRITICIZABLE YOU KNOW STOP CARING SO MUCH YOU THINK TOO MUCH TRY CARING ABOUT SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT LOL ITS JUST A JOKE WHY SO SRS LOL STOP TAKING JOKES SO PERSONA—Sharon please, you don't know what its like here in this apartment by myself I wake up alone and it smells like crab downstairs I just want to see the kids again please can't you just forgi—

The views and opinions expressed by Bobbyroberts are his own and not related to The Bobby and Slayven show. The disruptive influencer content where Bobby and Slayven get drunk and watch the Critters' movies

Top Bottom