• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Director Takes on Cinema Sins

Trey

You guys realize one of us would just have to sacrifice his or her dignity and create a video game version of CinemaSins where we make 'jokes' like "sin 137: why is sonic blue if the sky is also blue?" to make mad stacks off of morons and 8 year olds.

GamingSins already exists. So does Honest Videogame Trailers.

You guys realize one of us would just have to sacrifice his or her dignity and create a video game version of CinemaSins where we make 'jokes' like "sin 137: why is sonic blue if the sky is also blue?" to make mad stacks off of morons and 8 year olds.
That's a good hustle. BRB, I'm gonna be rich!

Edit: ^damn it!

caliph95

GamingSins already exists. So does Honest Videogame Trailers.
GamingSins was covered by bobvivds and seems worse than the og

Honest videogame trailer is fine and has the same narrator as the og and is the only decent thing on smosh channel not as good as honest trailers

yuoke

Banned
Cinema Sins as a "comedy series" is on the level of JUST A PRANK BRO videos. Except stretched to 40 minutes.

They're terrible and their reign of tyranny must end.

GamingSins was covered by bobvivds and seems worse than the og

Honest videogame trailer is fine and has the same narrator as the og and is the only decent thing on smosh channel not as good as honest trailers

There are two gaming sin channels, one is gamingsins and the other is dartigan which is imo a lot better.

How it must feel as people hating CS and trying to take them down (and RLM).

R1fdEt3.gif

It's also an extreme to want to take down CS and say they are hurting the industry.

Jim-Carrey-What-the-hell-are-you-talking-about.gif

You're literally the only person arguing that people want to take down Cinema Sins as a channel. Are people contacting Cinema Sins' multi-channel network (MCN) to drop them? Are people attacking Cinema Sins' revenue? No. You're being ridiculous and very defensive.

barit

Half in the bag is all I need when I want to see a dumb or unlucky movie gets shredded by professional critics

Cinema Sins .. wtf is that anyways?

John Vogt-Roberts said:
Cinema Sins is the YouTube equal to Friedberg & Seltzer movies - (EPIC MOVIE, DATE MOVIE, MEET THE SPARTANS, DISASTER MOVIE, VAMPIRES SUCK)

This is so true. CinemaSins is painfully boring hateful trash.

You're not supposed to take Cinema Sins seriously, but you should take criticism of it very seriously.
Yeah, definitely an interesting dichotomy I've noticed going through this thread. Cinema Sins is nothing more than comedy/jokes so the directors, producers, etc, of the films they make videos of shouldn't take it seriously at all... But yet, despite just being nothing more than jokes, the people who watch these videos take any criticisms of Cinema Sins extremely seriously, to the point where a criticism of Cinema Sins is equivalent to an attack on them as a person/part of their identity (and even if it doesn't reach that extent, still feeling the need to rush out and defend something that's just a joke while decrying someone else for defending their own work from inane criticism, what they claim they're doing when defending Cinema Sins). Which is it? If it really is just stupid jokes, surely it shouldn't be so attached to your identity that when it's critiqued or criticized as a person as well, unless that's not it? Sounds like they need to take the a bit of the advice they're trying to give to people like Vogt-Roberts and not take it so seriously if it really isn't that serious.

Intent. If your point is to entertain with a fake, meaningless review, you're not really reviewing something. If you want to review something and make people laugh at same time, you are actually reviewing something.

I already said criticism of the comedy and entertainment is fair game. Criticism of CS as reviews isn't, because they are not real reviews, CS has said this.

This argument is entirely bizarre because many mistakes made in the CS videos, mistakes dubbed "comedy lol," are present in the actual reviews. It's clearly not fake statements, they're just mistaken.

Raziel

Yeah, definitely an interesting dichotomy I've noticed going through this thread. Cinema Sins is nothing more than comedy/jokes so the directors, producers, etc, of the films they make videos of shouldn't take it seriously at all... But yet, despite just being nothing more than jokes, the people who watch these videos take any criticisms of Cinema Sins extremely seriously, to the point where a criticism of Cinema Sins is equivalent to an attack on them as a person/part of their identity (and even if it doesn't reach that extent, still feeling the need to rush out and defend something that's just a joke while decrying someone else for defending their own work from inane criticism, what they claim they're doing when defending Cinema Sins). Which is it? If it really is just stupid jokes, surely it shouldn't be so attached to your identity that when it's critiqued or criticized as a person as well, unless that's not it? Sounds like they need to take the a bit of the advice they're trying to give to people like Vogt-Roberts and not take it so seriously if it really isn't that serious.

Of all the obtuse arguments made in this thread, the one that says disagreeing with someone about CS intent and posting about it = taking CS very seriously, is the most bizarre, yet. This is a message board, where people often post if they disagree with someone else, no matter how trite the subject matter is. This is a line of argument to pursue when you've got nothing left. "I'm taking it too seriously? YOU'RE taking it too seriously!"

If you're interested in "turn the tables" arguments, how about this one? That I Robot screen that made the rounds earlier, is a single sin from a single movie, that is "wrong." Now say CS has made 500 sins video with 100 sins each. What percentage does that single "wrong" sin from a single movie represent of their entire output of sins across every movie? Pretty low right? Know what that's called? Nitpicking! People are saying CS is stupid because nitpicking, and then nitpicking themselves. So which is it? Is nitpicking stupid or not?

But wait, it's not just a one "wrong" sin! There's more, look at all these other examples! Yeah, this just in: CS is made by humans with their own sensibilities, quirks, biases, fallacies that are often wrong about things, misinterpret things, and flat out miss things. Does anyone need reminding there's literally 500+ videos on their channel with like 100+ sins each? And as someone mentioned already, that they occasionally sin things they themselves literally admit are not even sins? Those expecting any kind of consistency or accuracy or seriousness from such a channel continues to be the biggest joke of all.

It's like someone took one of my posts and ran it through a "I don't know what I'm talking about" translator.

I like the part where you had to explain the people running CinemaSins weren't actual robots, but were in fact people, though.

"need I remind you that these fine purveyors of internet comedy are, in fact, human organisms?"

The clarification is welcomed. Thanks.

Raziel

I mean, normally I would agree it should go without saying, but it's become increasingly difficult to tell whether some are aware of things right in front of them.

New theory: overexposure to Cinema Sins causes a complete breakdown of the subject's ability to understand or convey logic. It doesn't make them dumber, it just makes them sound incomprehensible when they argue with people who don't like Cinema Sins.

Mistle

I don't find them particularly amusing, but I find it interesting to see the inconsistencies in film making, in a "how the sausage gets made" sort of way. It's cool to see all the things my brain just glossed over when suspending my disbelief or not paying strict attention to disappearing proper or whatever. I never knew people looked to them for actual judgement of a movie, or that they were serious in their judgement of a movie's quality. That sucks.

gafneo

Banned
It was funny when they said points off because scene does not contain lap dance. The Sins guy lost focus on the point of his own project. It was originally a 4 minutes or less thing, now he blabs on about things that are actual highlights and takes off points aimlessly.

Like 99% of Youtubers, they were funny in the old days before they let their fame and egos get to them.

Now it really feels like they believe their own bullshit.

Seesaw15

CS used to be funny when each video was a tight 3-4 minutes so they had to pick their best jokes.I don't know if it's Youtube's algorithm that made them start doing 20 minute videos but its not really funny or clever anymore. Yes there's 3 minutes of studio logo's at the beginning of the movie. Yes nobody spent time writing the article in the fake newspaper. Yes a character is playing the pronoun game.

I like snarky internet film satire but CS is just so stale.

slicing your nipples off>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eating a rat turd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Honest Trailers>>>>>>>>>>>CinemaSins

FTFW

Also, it's been posted before, but this video series critiquing CinemaSins is fantastic and was a real eye opener as an outsider to just how unfunny and brain dead their videos are.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, he looks really salty, talking in a calm and restrained voice about how film criticism is good.

Did you watch the new video or...I mean they're playing it up for laughs how salty he's been getting. He screams and swears in the video. It's a bit but the crux of the bit is acknowledging that he's been salty about what he perceives as "nitpicks" or blatantly false criticisms. So yeah, he does look really salty lol

I enjoyed Skull Island. Don't roast me, pls.

I'm wondering how Wingard will handle Godzilla vs Kong criticisms cause he was getting kinda worked up about the Death Note reviews.

Top Bottom