• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koreans all looking the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
Nah, I imagine it's would've been pretty difficult to function in society without it. Although I guess the last one I had was more cosmetically focused.
I'm fairly sure I'm going to be doing something to prevent from receding in the corners of my forehead, simply because I know I'll look and feel so much better.

Would you still... Take a thick sista like Pinky?

Pinky isn't thick, pinky is fat.

But since I told Slayven I'd join in the operation if the chick in question was thick. I'm already trying to waifu Christine Mendoza...been trying since 2002 :(
HJUBnN0.jpg

auKSY04.jpg

6vFa3m7.jpg

Munin

I think looks are incredibly important. There are enough studies out there that show that uglier people have it harder in life. I don't see plastic surgery as a problem. I wouldn't have a problem if 100% of the population made themselves 10/10 hot through surgical means. Once everyone is hot then mate choice will come down to arguably more important things.

Telling someone that they have to remain ugly because you personally don't like the idea of plastic surgery is asinine. But that's basically what a lot of people do.

I think people deserve to be able to be happy with their body.

I fully agree. It's still a taboo, for no reason. Like I said in another thread: Why is it OK to get braces but not OK to get a nose job? Why is make-up OK but it's not OK to fix your eyelids? Either you say you're against everything that's somehow a deviation of what mother nature provided you with, or you're OK with all of it. Anything in between is just hypocrisy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There is an inherent problem with speaking of an entire nation by immediately narrowing down to a demographic within it, even though the speech about the demographic is unduly generalizing as well.

See, you're starting to catch on to the way this thing works.
I also said that Korean middle-class considers it normal. I've known some Koreans far from Seoul, not particularly rich, who felt the pressure to get surgery from peers and parents. This is not something you'll find in other countries.

You can make statements about countries. "Canadians like Hockey", but even if many Canadians hate hockey it can still be a true statement to make.

Fact: Korea is a culture that is particularly image based, and doesn't have the same level of restraint/taboo around plastic surgery that you find in most other countries. That doesn't mean every Korean has work done, or that there aren't Korean communities where it's rare. But looking at the worlds attitudes about rates of surgery, and comparing them to Korea: Korea is a clear outlier here. It's not like there's some way to interpret the data and find that Americans or Japanese do it just as much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Who is denying that many factors contribute to this or any social issue?
When you make a conclusive statement of a national mindset compared to other nations based on one factor (total number of surgeries) you are implicitly denying that anything else is a relevant factor in coming to that conclusion.

jay

Yes, semantic backtracking, as completely expected. If that is what you meant, I think it is ridiculous and something not done in conversations about any other international analysis of tends, but I guess you are free to makes claims of a very uncommon nature to make it seem like you are making Korea out to be an exclusive case if you so wish.

I don't follow you. I would say America is uniquely obsessed with guns based on a variety of factors, and if you told me who eats the most fast food, for example, I'd have no problem making a similar statement. You are being incredibly defensive, but I know you cannot see this as your goal seems to be to make as many personal judgements, as few societal judgements, and be as offended as possible.

When you make a conclusive statement of a national mindset compared to other nations based on one factor (total number of surgeries) you are implicitly denying that anything else is a relevant factor in coming to that conclusion.

This is nonsensical. I think Korea has the most plastic surgery so therefore I don't believe there can be reasons for them having the most plastic surgery other than they have the most plastic surgery?

I fully agree. It's still a taboo, for no reason. Like I said in another thread: Why is it OK to get braces but not OK to get a nose job? Why is make-up OK but it's not OK to fix your eyelids? Either you say you're against everything that's somehow a deviation of what mother nature provided you with, or you're OK with all of it. Anything in between is just hypocrisy.

Enh, I think it's more of a worry of people over doing it and uniqueness becoming less and less common. People generally wouldn't be against someone just going and getting a nose job, but when that nose job spirals into "fixing" 10 other things is when the problem starts.

Not to mention I'd be willing to be a lot of people who get the surgeries would be far from "ugly" without them. There's fixing problems that may limit your social status, and then there's "fixing" every little "problem" you can possibly find about yourself.

Yamauchi

Banned
Pretty sure the image in the OP is fake.

If it's not, sorry South Koreans, but North Korea is Best Korea. That is just bloody disgusting.

Yeah they should remain unhappy with their physical appearance for the sake of your penis, and standards of what a "woman" is.

Versus getting surgery to conform to what society's standard of beauty is which has largely been defined by men...

I personally don't care one way or the other.

yup, it's fucked.

Are you also against physical birth defects being fixed with plastic surgery? Those are genetic in nature.

Why are you against one genetic trait being "fixed" to conform with beauty standards, but not another? There's certainly nothing inherently wrong with having a minor physical deformity, except that is can fuck up your life because people DO judge based on looks.

Where's your cutoff point?

Versus getting surgery to conform to what society's standard of beauty is which has largely been defined by men...

Or to be happy with their own appearance.

Enh, I think it's more of a worry of people over doing it and uniqueness becoming less and less common. People generally wouldn't be against someone just going and getting a nose job, but when that nose job spirals into "fixing" 10 other things is when the problem starts.

Not to mention I'd be willing to be a lot of people who get the surgeries would be far from "ugly" without them. There's fixing problems that may limit your social status, and then there's "fixing" every little "problem" you can possibly find about yourself.

People can be unique while looking the same. Twins arent the same fucking person for example.

RM8

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I don't think it's correct to think you're not okay unless you get surgery done. But I think everyone has the right to do whatever they want to do with their bodies, and to be fair I'm sure some of these girls' lives were very positively affected by improving their looks. Oh, well.

Which has largely been shaped by how they think they should look via societal pressures...

The alternative is living in some fantasy world where we can all move past looks and don't judge people by physical appearances. But that's less likely to happen. Thus I think it is great that people who did not win the genetic lottery can look attractive.

I'm well aware these women would be happy being ugly if other humans did not prefer attractive females. But that isn't the case, and we can't simply alter human psychology like we can a person's face.

Dice

This is nonsensical.
No, it is logical. If other things are valid factors to the national mindset, any truthful overall estimation of the nation would include them. To leave them out is illogical and willfully ignorant of the realities of the people. If all you are saying is "Korea is unique insofar as having the highest total number of surgeries is unique" then you have made an incredibly empty statement. The simple total says very little in regard to the national mindset. However, you didn't do that. You framed it in terms of obsession compared to other nations, which has many deeper implications, implications which require consideration of other factors to make an honest comparison and conclusion.

Munin

There isn't a single kind of beauty - beautiful people hardly all look alike. And you can't go to a plastic surgeon and request him to make you look like Brad Pitt. That's not how it works. People can still make the most out of their body/face without losing their characteristic features.

"Unique" in most cases it's just a nice way of saying "unattractive, but fascinating to look at". And most people, if faced with the choice of either looking "unique" or "more conventionally attractive" would choose the latter, and that is completely understandable.

Ryaaan14

Banned
For a second I realized that my friend's little sister may be one of them, but even if I went to Facebook there's no fucking way I'd be able to tell which one is her in the OP. Good lord.

jay

No, it is logical. If other things are valid factors to the national mindset, any truthful overall estimation of the nation would include them. To leave them out is illogical and willfully ignorant of the realities of the people. If all you are saying is "Korea is unique insofar as having the highest total number of surgeries is unique" then you have made an incredibly empty statement. The simple total says very little in regard to the national mindset. However, you didn't do that. You framed it in terms of obsession compared to other nations, which has many deeper implications, implications which require consideration of other factors to make an honest comparison and conclusion.

From Zefah initially saying it, my understanding was we were using unique insomuch as that they have the highest rate of surgery. I apologize if you find this statement vapid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I agree that calling it "obsession" with looks/surgery doesn't characterize it well. It's not a symptom of individualistic vanity.

It's more due to Korean culture's strong pressure on the individual to conform to certain norms.

Dice

From Zefah initially saying it, my understanding was we were using unique insomuch as that they have the highest rate of surgery. I apologize if you find this statement vapid.
Okay then, although I would also say that total number is different from rate. The numbers observed earlier would place Taiwan above them.

It's more due to Korean culture's strong pressure on the individual to conform to certain norms.
Yes, it is hard to describe. It is a pressure, but it is also combined with a very practical honesty about that pressure. When standing up for your beliefs often means the person who "sold out" gets the job over you and now you don't know how you'll make a living, you end up talking about such things openly with family and friends. In the west surgery is often seen as selfish vanity, but the reality is so different over there. There is much more involved. However, it all comes from competitiveness toward a cultural ideal, and it can be found in places around the world.

KmA

Yeah they should remain unhappy with their physical appearance for the sake of your penis, and standards of what a "woman" is.

Maybe we should try to get people to be ok, or even happy with their appearance instead of resorting to plastic surgery.

There isn't a single kind of beauty - beautiful people hardly all look alike. And you can't go to a plastic surgeon and request him to make you look like Brad Pitt. That's not how it works. People can still make the most out of their body/face without losing their characteristic features.

"Unique" in most cases it's just a nice way of saying "unattractive, but fascinating to look at". And most people, if faced with the choice of either looking "unique" or "more conventionally attractive" would choose the latter, and that is completely understandable.

Isn't that kind of contradictory? I'm not using unique in a derogatory way, I mean it in the "There isn't a single kind of beauty" type of way.

I see your point about plastic surgery not making everyone automatically look exactly the same, and I get that, but certainly it makes certain features a lot more common, whether or not the features they are replacing are actually bad or not.

Let me make this clear - I don't think people shouldn't be able to get plastic surgery. If you have an unattractive nose that is limiting your options, you should be able to get it changed. But the types of people who are getting tons and tons of surgery to fix every little "problem" should probably be looked at a little more closely. There's fixing issues that limit you and then there's clearly having some kind of mental issue where you think plastic surgery can fix all of your problems.

Let me make this perfectly clear again - I'm not saying everyone who gets plastic surgery has mental issues. But if you're changing yourself multiple times over to an extreme degree, there's likely some deeper seeded issues there that should probably be closer looked at. Someone who just gets a nose surgery falls far from this category.

There's also an argument that is seemingly being implied in this thread (not nessisarily you, and more so in their society than in this thread, really) that these women have two choices - don't get surgery and be considered unattractive or get surgery and be considered attractive. This I find to be a problematic mind set, it's not just one or the other. It is that kind of mindset that's leading to women feeling the need to get these surgeries at all.

Maybe we should try to get people to be ok, or even happy with their appearance instead of resorting to plastic surgery.

I honestly believe that is the less realistic choice.

There seems to be some evolutionary pressure that makes us prefer attractive people. This seems to be reflected in many aspects of life. That's a lot harder to beat than going to the plastic surgeon.

The alternative is living in some fantasy world where we can all move past looks and don't judge people by physical appearances. But that's less likely to happen. Thus I think it is great that people who did not win the genetic lottery can look attractive.

I'm well aware these women would be happy being ugly if other humans did not prefer attractive females. But that isn't the case, and we can't simply alter human psychology like we can a person's face.

Again I have no problems with plastic surgery, I was merely informing you as to why women in general elect to have it done because you kept dismissing it.

BigDug13

Clearly I'm talking physically, come on dude.

But if it makes THEM feel better about themselves, then who cares. People shouldn't stop doing something they want to because it will interfere with how your optic nerve observes the light that reflects off those new surgically altered facial surfaces.

RiZ III

It's like Nomura's characters, they all look the same. In this case, it's like they all went to the same plastic surgeon and he makes everyone look the same person lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom