• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: AC Syndicate will feature both male/female protags (brother & sister)

Seems to be in the same vain as GTA V which is something I enjoyed.

It's going to take a fuckton more than that to convince to be more interested in this game though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So why do we hate Kotaku again?

Seriously you're the best, Jason.

GeoGonzo

So sad, think of all those animators on crunchtime till release date!

I kid! Making playable female characters is great news and not that hard. And it is likely that AC devs are probably stuck in crunchtime all year every year anyway.

Well colored me interested. I guess Ubisoft took notice of how popular Elise was last year and how big was the opportunity they missed by not having her as a playable character and showing the player both sides of the Assassins and the Templars. Oh well.

Alienous

So, you still have to play as the male character throughout the vast majority of the actual gameplay missions. Switch to the female only inbetween missions? I...guess this is okay but its still pretty shitty.

This comment is walking on some mighty thin ice, if you know what I mean.

The execution of it is important but this is a good thing.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think so, the backlash against Unity was really misguided and unwarranted to begin with.
Yeah

Ubi pushed Elise pretty hard with Unity as a showcase female character, even though she wasn't playable. Wouldnt be surprised if a female playable character was in the cards since before Unity came out

hawk2025

Only if taking for actual artistic reasons and not merely pandering.

Ah, yes, the artistic integrity of a game that includes microtransactions and locked treasure chests that require downloading multiple apps.

I'll take the pandering over "artistic reasons" at that point, thanks. Or, you know, anything in the continuum between "uncompromised artistic vision" and pandering.

TM94

Syndicate as a title falls flat for me, Victory was better.

Oh yeah, and this is welcome news too.

GTA V style switching between them would be cool.

ultron87

Sounds more like a Geralt/Ciri thing. The article doesn't even claim the female character is a protagonist, just that she is playable 25% of the time.

Being able to switch to her for the open world whenever you want will help balance that out a ton.

I'll admit, my hype deflated a bit upon learning that the main narrative seems to favour Jacob, but fuck it, another AC female protagonist is enough to make me seriously consider getting this one -- particularly since we can apparently free-roam as the protagonist of our choice. I hope the option to select either male or female playable characters becomes the standard for future AC games.

Sounds good to me. Hopefully there aren't 1,000 boring miscellaneous missions scattered around the map, and they take their time crafting fewer but more complex missions. I'm going to take a wait and see on this game, Unity was pretty bad.

Ascenion

I highly doubt adding a second protagonist is considered shoehorning. And anyway, who cares if this added for the Unity debacle? How would this negatively impact the game?

Adding a second protagonist if it wasn't planned beforehand could easily upset the flow of the game same if they just changed the second protagonist to a female, or if I was directing and it wasn't my choice not be the game I originally intended. It's more of a compromising of my artistic integrity than really a negative to the game and you know the additional story treatments and updates tht would follow. Plus we'd never know if that original version was the better one.

MUnited83

For you.
Hopefully this will prevent something like the fiasco that happened last year with people misunderstanding how the coop worked.
Ubisoft PR was really the one at fault with their terrible animation excuse. Just a explanation on how the co-op really worked would have been much better.

Raptor

So instead of chosing at the start wich character we want to play with they force us to use the male one and after we get use to him they take him away for some random missions?

Missed oportunity right there.

I guess is something..

Mivey

According to the in-game logic, you can only relive the memories of people that are related to you. Does that mean that that this brother and sister produced a direct (or indirect further down the line) offspring? Eww...

Rather play as her the whole time. Still, Ima keep my eye on this game now.

I'm sure this could of been an option if the game wasn't probably 75% of the way into development during the "lack of female customization" backlash when Unity came out.

It's nice they did notice and tried to incorporate something more into the next iteration.

hawk2025

Adding a second protagonist if it wasn't planned beforehand could easily upset the flow of the game same if they just changed the second protagonist to a female, or if I was directing and it wasn't my choice not be the game I originally intended. It's more of a compromising of my artistic integrity than really a negative to the game and you know the additional story treatments and updates tht would follow. Plus we'd never know if that original version was the better one.

Again, the game locked and gated content behind a microtransaction currency and random locked chests that required downloading multiple apps.

How does that upset the flow or the artistic integrity any less than a woman protagonist?

There are a fuckload of games you could try and take this stand on. But damn, Assassin's Creed?

They're really well designed.

lol @ pandering mentioned already. Ridiculous

How so?
You've no idea if this was a top down "this will shut them up" decision or created naturally (well.. as natural as can be for assasins creed's behomth produxtion)

Declaring the inclusion of a female avatar/character in the game as a step in the right direction with no other context is foolish.

The game has my attention. However, if it really is just a free roam thing and she isn't actually usable in Missions I still won't buy. It's not enough. Maybe next year.

According to the in-game logic, you can only relive the memories of people that are related to you. Does that mean that that this brother and sister produced a direct (or indirect further down the line) offspring? Eww...

They threw out any kind of real in-game logic a long time ago. Pretty much anything goes now.

jem0208

The whole female controversy with Unity was a bit ridiculous.

Interesting that there's two playable characters though.

The game has my attention. However, if it really is just a free roam thing and she isn't actually usable in Missions I still won't buy.

Wait, you'd only buy the game is there's a female playable character in the missions?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Huh, that's a lot faster than I was expecting, especially given the comments from an Ubi developer about how conversations were just starting at that E3 and would take years to see results.

Given that and the odd percentage breakdown I wonder if they altered it mid production.

Anyway it's good to see they actually take feedback. I thought they'd just stonewall with male leads only until 2020.

AdanVC

This is good news, props to Ubi for once! One thing tho, her outfit on that screenshot looks more like a Winter 2014 "vintage" collection from Calvin Klein rather than actual vintage clothing from the Victorian London wich doesn't look nothing like it haha.

ultron87

It'd be real cool if there could be character switching mid-mission. Could do some cool "heist movie" kind of stuff where the different characters are each setting up part of a planned assassination. Doesn't have to be dynamic, could just happen at specific moments where you complete an objective as the dude and then switch to the lady to do her part.

Lol this is Ubisoft we're talking about.

You know we can be related to people without them being our parents right?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This comment is walking on some mighty thin ice, if you know what I mean.

The execution of it is important but this is a good thing.

Thin ice?

i want MORE of the female protag. Not less!

Better yet, just pull the trigger on a full fledged female protag on a mainline game! =)

rhandino

Banned
I need more details

i2BeqBf.gif

Was planning to buy my PS4 until FFXV was out but this could push my decision to buy it sooner, I loved Liberation and wanted more of that.

EDIT: Oh! I see that people is starting to get extra...

It'd be real cool if there could be character switching mid-mission. Could do some cool "heist movie" kind of stuff where the different characters are each setting up part of a planned assassination. Doesn't have to be dynamic, could just happen at specific moments where you complete an objective as the dude and then switch to the lady to do her part.

This worked really well in Grand Theft Auto I thought, that game handled multiple protagonists switching on the fly during missions in a really cool way.

Tagyhag

Genuinely makes me interested in a new Assassin's Creed. The series is stale and even just having multiple protagonists is enough to differentiate it from *yet another Assassin's Creed game.*
Do you mean just gender-wise? Because they been having different protagonists for a while now.

It sounds like its just 1 cohesive story line and you just switch to the sister every now and then. It doesn't look they each have a separate path.

Finally I can stab both males & females in the neck equally.

A real dream come true.

They didn't say anything about female enemies. Ubisoft hasn't had any random female enemies in an AC game and they probably won't this time either because they're scared of "violence against women" accusations or something. Ubisoft actually made it so that in Far Cry 4 half of the fighters on your side were women, but none of the enemies were for some reason.

Top Bottom