• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Installing Xbox One games takes way too long; comparison

Derrick01

Banned
How is the PS4 even able to do this?? Sony using gypsy magic?

No idea. When I installed most of my games on the day I got my PS4 I was stunned that it took about a minute for each of them. Even NBA 2k took 59 seconds and that was 50gb. It's huge that they figured out how to do this so quickly when both consoles are forcing mandatory installs now.

dead rising 3 took a long time for me, made me go :/ since i had a physical copy.

it installed and downloaded the update at the same time, so it was slower, i can tally the time if i look at my posts in the xbox one thread, was like 15-30 minutes

GameSeeker

Talk about a role reversal from last gen. Wow.

Yes, unexpected. Last gen the 360 OS was mostly ahead of PS3 OS, but with the PS4 Sony has the faster, more responsive OS with arguably the better UI.

Weird to see Microsoft (an OS company) drop the ball.

Is Xbox using a slower Blu-ray drive? Only way I could imagine the differences would be so great even when installing without waiting for an update.

kris.

Banned
Intelligent design.
I thought xbone had the same lz decompression chip between the disc and HDD to speed up this shit like PlayGo is?

My statement was half sarcastic but yeah. I was led to believe that the xbone installed in the background just like the PS4 so these times are fucking ridiculous. Microsoft fucked up somewhere.

Steel

Banned
so even offline is a lot slower than PS4.

Makes me wonder why the hell they would make the main, non-removable HDD so god damn slow.

Edit:
With the PS4 I think it's still installing stuff after the time listed it's just with the PS4 it installs the essentials first so you can dive right into the game you just bought while it installs the rest in the background. If Xbone did the same I think the times would be similar.

Xbox apparently allows you to play after 50%

Skilletor

yes it's a bit long, but no sandwiches needed as you can play digital games (if you're installing using a disc), view tv/apps/Blu-ray while it's installing

I've always been able to watch TV while installing things. I still want my sandwich.

Kaiken

Banned
Was the X1 not built on having a partial install before it games can run? You have to wait until the full install is complete?

Based cboat.

IMO, this was more of Sony deciding that their system had to be engineered for speed first-and-foremost throughout the entire experience, from the UI down to the install/load times.

MS was too focused on multi-tasking between apps, and probably didn't have the same kind of software engineering for the games side that allowed for better installing/loading.

JJMorris

To be fair, players are able to play digital games off their hard drives, while a disc game is installing on the Xbox One. I don't know if PS4 can do the same though.

Schrade

It's really amazing how fast the PS4 times are.

Sony seems to have thought quite a bit about the underlying layers of the OS. They just need to refine a few things in the top layers and it'll be perfect.

With the PS4 I think it's still installing stuff after the time listed it's just with the PS4 it installs the essentials first so you can dive right into the game you just bought while it installs the rest in the background. If Xbone did the same I think the times would be similar.

Here I thought it would only be an issue with digital copy while downloading. I never expected such a heaven-and-earth difference on the physical installs too. Goddamn.

spwolf

No idea. When I installed most of my games on the day I got my PS4 I was stunned that it took about a minute for each of them. Even NBA 2k took 59 seconds and that was 50gb. It's huge that they figured out how to do this so quickly when both consoles are forcing mandatory installs now.

it is designed with focus on games so no wonder they made this work well.

A lot of people complained about installs on PS3 and they made sure it is one of the key things for PS4.

Wow... that's much larger than I thought. I was thinking like.. half the time... but no.. PS4 consistently is under the 1 minute mark with X1 games taking 5 to 10 times the time...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How is the PS4 even able to do this?? Sony using gypsy magic?

One of the fundamental design goals for the OS that they described was immediacy, and getting out of the way between the player and the game - by minimising time waiting, for installs, updates, whatever.

I think some of it may be the data caching system Sony is using, and simply doing smart things - like immediately starting the process as soon as the disc goes into the drive, no matter what you are doing - but some of it might also be policy agreement with developers about how much data really needs to be on the HDD before you can let the user start playing. For example, CoD on PS4 lets you play very quickly, but it can be up to 20 or 30 mins before the game can use the highest res textures everywhere. But I like that tradeoff, IMO, vs a upfront, do nothing wait time.

Seems like Microsoft went backwards in more ways than one with the Xbox One.

The 360 used to be much faster at installing games than the PS3.

phuturist

Banned
I really like that so many websites reported on this before the consoles launched, so that potential customers could make an educated decision, our game journalism websites really proved their worth there.

smr00

Banned
8-16 minutes vs 30-45 seconds? Jesus fucking christ that is a significant difference.

I am used to long load times coming off the PS3 so it's not the biggest deal in the world but that is still insane.

Damaniel

Banned
Fortunately you only have to install a game once. But ouch - that's a huge difference.

I'm really liking the whole 'put it in, wait a few seconds, and then start playing' philosophy of the PS4. More so than most of the launch titles themselves, in fact...
;)

kriskrosbbk

electronika-im-02_01.jpg

nick380

Neo Member
I have all my sandwich recipes from the PS3 era if any XB1 users want them. I won't be needing them anymore.

I was just thinking the same thing! Those PS3 installs...used to start new hobbies while that shit was installing took so long hahahaha

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
People really have under 1 minute on PS4 installs? Are we talking full installs? I think mine might be broken. When I turned on NBA 2K14 I had to wait like 10 minutes for the full install and all features to be available to me in game. Or does install mean playable here?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What are the PS4 games "installing"? Those times are very low.
Just enough so that you can start playing. Then the rest of the game installs while you play. A tremendously smarter approach than installing the whole thing beforehand, and as far as I know, pioneered by the first Uncahrted in 2007. Same goes for downloaded games as well, KZ can start after you download about 7GB, and the game is 38GB total which downloads and installs while you play.

I have to admit, I was sceptical about some of Sony's software side promises, but they delivered, same goes for Vita remote play. Now I'm genuinely interested how Gaikai might turn out and even more so for their VR solution!

phuturist

Banned
Fortunately you only have to install a game once. But ouch - that's a huge difference.[/spoiler]

I guess you are not aware that there is no manual data management on the Xbone, so if your HDD is nearly full, it will automatically delete your oldest install without you knowing about it. You will then have to reinstall the game if you want to play it again, because maybe the single player DLC came out or something.

Edit: Sorry, it seems I was wrong. I blame Giant Bomb.

Top Bottom