• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Installing Xbox One games takes way too long; comparison

harSon

Banned
No idea. When I installed most of my games on the day I got my PS4 I was stunned that it took about a minute for each of them. Even NBA 2k took 59 seconds and that was 50gb. It's huge that they figured out how to do this so quickly when both consoles are forcing mandatory installs now.

There's no way NBA 2K14 took 59 seconds to install. Are you talking about a full install, or until you can play but restricted to two teams in quick play?

Nafai1123

Banned
To be fair, players are able to play digital games off their hard drives, while a disc game is installing on the Xbox One. I don't know if PS4 can do the same though.

It can. You can do anything while the game is installing (other than playing another disc based game obviously).

USC-fan

Banned
To be fair, players are able to play digital games off their hard drives, while a disc game is installing on the Xbox One. I don't know if PS4 can do the same though.
yes in fact you just have to put the disc in. you dont even have to stop playing on ps4.

With NFS rivals, anyway.. the ps4 will get about 4GB worth of the game (the tutorial for racer and cop) and then download the rest of the game while you play. (I bought the digital version)

with the 6x blu-ray drive, I imagine the PS4 transfers game data pretty quickly from a disc.

Sony did a good job with optimizing the install times to get people in the game as quickly as possible.

It makes no sense that the xbox one install times would be so long.

There's no way NBA 2K14 took 59 seconds to install. Are you talking about a full install, or until you can play but restricted to two teams in quick play?
I thought that was what this comparison was about, the time it takes to put in a disk to the time you can start playing the game.

Really? Stop with the BS, esically since Microsoft has revealed more first party games than Sony has.

I was partly joking, as well as being sarcastic at the whole notion of "MS revealed more games, they are more games focused than Sony!"

Part of the whole game-focused proposition delivered by Sony wasn't simply on no.of games announced, it was about the architecture of the system which they said, prioritised speed, ease of development, the experience associated with gaming such as sharing, streaming, etc.

And we see that materialise in superior load/install times. That was clearly something Sony took to heart and improved significantly to improve the game experience.

The whole logic of 'MS/Sony is more focused on games because X number of games got announced" is faulty anyway. If MS stops making games after 5 years, whereas Sony continues for 8 years, doesn't that somehow make Sony more game-focused in the end? If tomorrow, they one-up each other in games announcements, does that make each other more focused on games for those few months before getting one-upped again?

Derrick01

Banned
Glad Sony have sorted their shit out.

Only seems like trophy sync would annoy the fuck out me now.

It's mildly annoying that it does it seemingly almost every time I click on the trophy tab but not only does it take about 3 seconds you can still browse your list while it's syncing. The more important "feature" for me is that the PS4 can load your entire trophy list in seconds. Mine is really long too but it'll load all of it in about 20 seconds.

The install times on the Xbox One are atrocious. I've only played exclusives for both Xbox One and PS4 and those install times sound right.

gatisimo

People really have under 1 minute on PS4 installs? Are we talking full installs? I think mine might be broken. When I turned on NBA 2K14 I had to wait like 10 minutes for the full install and all features to be available to me in game. Or does install mean playable here?

Same here, man. I don't know what they're talking about in that report. My NBA2K14 and FIFA took what seemed like 10 minutes as well. I think they're confusing "ready to play" with installed, because after about 40 seconds I could play as the Heat and Spurs, but that was it. It was not the full game. Same with FIFA.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am pretty jealous about the inclusion of Skype. Would love Skype text/video chat on my PS4, especially if I could run it while running a game.

Do you have a phone, tablet, or laptop?

It's mildly annoying that it does it seemingly almost every time I click on the trophy tab but not only does it take about 3 seconds you can still browse your list while it's syncing. The more important "feature" for me is that the PS4 can load your entire trophy list in seconds. Mine is really long too but it'll load all of it in about 20 seconds.

the real test is what is GraveRobber's time to load his list.

Derrick01

Banned

NBA 2k only takes a long time to install if you do the quick game while it installs in the background. I let all of my games auto install on the dashboard after I put the disc in and when I got my replacement PS4 I timed NBA 2k14. It took 59 seconds exactly to fully install the game.

nick380

Neo Member
Yeah it's definitely not alpha.

343569d1331340721-syria-man-loses-his-voice-54afbf53_1617295_i_see_what_you_did_there_holysmurf_super_re_sharenator_community_unite-s444x47.jpeg

madmackem

My achievements now do some sort of synch now too, it also takes longer to load the damn achievement app.

Orca

I guess you are not aware that there is no manual data management on the Xbone, so if your HDD is nearly full, it will automatically delete your oldest install without you knowing about it. You will then have to reinstall the game if you want to play it again, because maybe the single player DLC came out or something.

That was debunked. You get prompted to delete things, but you choose what will go.

Geez, that's ridiculous in every title. X1 speed are what I figured they'd be knowing that every game had to be installed. Craziness is PS4 installing everything in less than a minute. My PC doesn't even operate like that for anything more than like 200 mb.

nded

Does the XBone do anything better than the PS4? Anything?

Voice commands and looking at your junk, apparently.

Craziness is PS4 installing everything in less than a minute. My PC doesn't even operate like that for anything more than like 200 mb.

The PS4's not installing everything, just enough so that you can start playing while the rest of the game installs in the background. Either the XBOne's disc streaming/file system isn't efficient enough yet, or it just can't spare the overhead to run a game, a background install and three operating systems at the same time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I do, but that's not as nice as it being integrated into the console.

It's nicer, actually, since you can actually control the volume levels of your Skype call and the game/whatever is on your TV screen independently of each other.

I suppose it comes down to preference, though.

Oh dear.

I haven't even noticed the install times on the PS4, I literally popped in Knack and it started installing and lasted some seconds and then let me start the game. CoD Ghosts did the same but prompted me that it needed some updates and they both downloaded in the background then installed when they were ready.

Maybe the XB1's load times can be fixed with a system level patch.

I think he was being a bit sarcastic lol..relax.

Partially. I was basically throwing the same argument that gets brought up every now and then in those pre-launch threads of 'Sony drops the ball' by the whole 'MS has more games, they're more game focused!' one-sided perspective.

gatisimo

Same here, man. I don't know what they're talking about in that report. My NBA2K14 and FIFA took what seemed like 10 minutes as well. I think they're confusing "ready to play" with installed, because after about 40 seconds I could play as the Heat and Spurs, but that was it. It was not the full game. Same with FIFA.

OK, they initial paragraph is confusing, but they clarify later on:

Our test was how long it takes to launch the game from the time you insert a disc, with a normal console connected to the internet.

Kind of misleading, since the first line says

We wanted to test the install times of both new consoles, so we plugged a PS4 into an Xbox One's TV input and watched them race to install a game.

And of course, they go on to say both take around the same to do a full install

Remember that this is only a test of how long the games initially take to install. Once the games are fully installed, they take about the same amount of time to boot up on either console.

PS4 has been a dream to me. Everything works perfectly and it's damn fast.

Those Xbox One installs are beyond ridiculous in today's standards. But i guess MS will fix this shit with a firmware update eventually.

see5harp

Yea, no way that's even close to being true. It took nearly 3 quarters of the game plus a long ass load for it to get close to finishing for me on PS4. For the most part I'm not against a small initial installation, but some of these updates are shocklingly large. There's no reason Battlefield 4 should be installing hundreds of megabytes after launch. I'm pretty apalled at all of the installs and updates that are becoming prevalent.

harSon

Banned
I guess you are not aware that there is no manual data management on the Xbone, so if your HDD is nearly full, it will automatically delete your oldest install without you knowing about it. You will then have to reinstall the game if you want to play it again, because maybe the single player DLC came out or something.

This isn't exactly true. The XB1 will tell you that your HDD is full, and will ask you what you want to delete to make room.

I'm actually surprised the install times are that low on the XB1. Maybe it's because I'm used to playing console games as soon as I pop them into the console, and am eager to play, but the install times felt infinitely longer than 5-10 minutes. It's pretty ridiculous. And the mode(s) that do become available after a certain percentage into installing, are almost always things that I could give a rat's ass about. Like BF4 for example. I wanted to play Multiplayer, but only Single Player became available during the installation, and I couldn't do MP until like 99%

Derrick01

Banned
Yea, no way that's even close to being true. It took nearly 3 quarters of the game plus a long ass load for it to get close to finishing for me on PS4. For the most part I'm not against a small initial installation, but some of these updates are shocklingly large. There's no reason Battlefield 4 should be installing hundreds of megabytes after launch. I'm pretty apalled at all of the installs and updates that are becoming prevalent.

Like I said, don't play the game when you're installing it. Take a piss break and let it sit on the PS4 UI and it'll install before you finish in the bathroom.

ViciousDS

Banned

makes you wonder how long it takes to install on the xbox one since I only see nba live 14 on that list.

bigmf

I thought the Xbox had the same thing as the PS4, didn't I read that somewhere? Anyway, I guess the one positive for the XBox is that you don't have to back out of the game for an update.

Top Bottom