• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Japan's Nintendo Switch Lines Are Hell

Nintendo need to work on their stock distribution. The Switch is readily available in Australia. As one of their weakest markets a lot of our stock should be in Japan right now.

Why don't Japanese people just import one from overseas? Pretty sure there's plenty in Australia.

I keep seeing posts like this from Australians. Japan is a huge market and Australia a tiny one. If you took all that Australian stock and sent it to Japan, it would be a blip on the radar. What looks like "plenty" in Australia would be gone in a flash in a market the size of Japan.

I'm surprised because they don't seem too hard to come by in the US. I've had multiple opportunities online (and even in person) to get one if I wanted. I'm surprised they are so supply constrained everywhere else around the world.

This isn’t true. Multiple opportunities because you visit a gaming board and are alerted of stock? Yeah, so is everyone else and that shit is sold out soon after.

They sell out in stores too, I would say that is hard to come by and supply constrained.

I also live in Chicagoland area and never see them in stores, outside of a unit here or there at Target.

DeSolos

I gave up and bought one on Yahoo Auctions before launch. It was roughly a $60 USD markup, but considering I have a Switch and have enjoyed it immensely thus far, I don't feel too bad.

I was able to score a cheap Pro Controller at a local Toys-R-Us. So it would seem there aren't really any constraints on accessories out here.

I gave up and bought one on Yahoo Auctions before launch. It was roughly a $60 USD markup, but considering I have a Switch and have enjoyed it immensely thus far, I don't feel too bad.

I was able to score a cheap Pro Controller at a local Toys-R-Us. So it would seem there aren't really any constraints on accessories out here.

Actually, colored Joy cons are pretty supply constrained. Everything else is in decent supply.

Kangi

I keep seeing posts like this from Australians. Japan is a huge market and Australia a tiny one. If you took all that Australian stock and sent it to Japan, it would be a blip on the radar. What looks like "plenty" in Australia would be gone in a flash in a market the size of Japan.
Around launch it was all about those unsold Finnish Switches, now it's the Australian ones.

This isn’t true. Multiple opportunities because you visit a gaming board and are alerted of stock? Yeah, so is everyone else and that shit is sold out soon after.

They sell out in stores too, I would say that is hard to come by and supply constrained.

I also live in Chicagoland area and never see them in stores, outside of a unit here or there at Target.

I work for Best Buy in Chicagoland, and I still never see the things in stock. It's fun looking at the stock numbers for the district (basically all of N. Illinois/Chicago) and seeing that there is exactly 1 Switch in stock for the entire region at one store in Chicago.

clem84

Gold Member
Ok, serious question. How long will it take, in North America, for Switches to be readily available for anyone to walk into a store a buy one?

This is insane. I don't see things getting better with the holiday season slowly approaching. My guess would be middle of next year?

I work for Best Buy in Chicagoland, and I still never see the things in stock. It's fun looking at the stock numbers for the district (basically all of N. Illinois/Chicago) and seeing that there is exactly 1 Switch in stock for the entire region at one store in Chicago.

Yeah, exactly. I did the launch at Best Buy at Midnight. Only time I’ve ever seen more than 2 units at one place. You actually had an opportunity to get one if you did a midnight launch at a Best Buy, they had huge stock numbers here for ours. Now it seems the best bet is to do instock alerts on Amazon.

Yeah, exactly. I did the launch at Best Buy at Midnight. Only time I’ve ever seen more than 2 units at one place. You actually had an opportunity to get one if you did a midnight launch at a Best Buy, they had huge stock numbers here for ours. Now it seems the best bet is to do instock alerts on Amazon.

We do get them in waves. At one point a couple weeks ago Schaumburg I think had something like 20 of the things. They weren't there long. My store had 2 last week, I found out when a coworker bought the grey one, and I aint about that asymmetrical neon life, so decided to keep waiting. No idea when more are showing up, last I looked the warehouse didn't even have any to send to any stores.

Ok, serious question. How long will it take, in North America, for Switches to be readily available for anyone to walk into a store a buy one?

This is insane. I don't see things getting better with the holiday season slowly approaching. My guess would be middle of next year?

This is entirely dependent on how much Nintendo is able to ship.

Megatron

Yeah seriously this is going to hurt the console in the long run. I seriously don't understand why Nintendo didn't pre-produce the fuck out of this before even releasing it.

They didn't have the NAND shortages before it launched.

Remember the wiiu? The switch being a success wasn't a foregone conclusion.

Sometime year 2 IMO. It would ultimately depend on when the NAND shortages are taken care of (related to Toshiba facing issues + other companies taking up the mantle of producing more NAND chips).

Nintendo isn't creating any good will for them tbh.
This is a critical point for them as hardware manufacturers.

Coming off a massive flop like the Wii U, and now they are artificially flopping for being insecure about their product. Hopefully the momentum doesn't fade away once they put their shit together.

Demand won't be there forever just waiting.

flozuki

Nintendo isn't creating any good will for them tbh.
This is a critical point for them as hardware manufacturers.

Coming off a massive flop like the Wii U, and now they are artificially flopping for being insecure about their product. Hopefully the momentum doesn't fade away once they put their shit together.

Demand won't be there forever just waiting.

It is not like they can go to the factory an be like "Hey, we need 10 million more next months."

Probably early to mid 2018.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Funny thing right now its still mostly hardcore fans and gamers that want the thing...and its frigging July. If by fall they start doing the bundles like the MK8/Switch one, have games like Fifa/Skyrim/Rocket Leage/Minecraft-Retail as well as the VoD apps ala Netflix/Amazon out the "mainstream" will really start going after the system.

So yeah the shortages wont end anytime soon. This is supposed to be by far the slowest period of the year. Holidays will be brutal.

Dynheart

Banned
This is pretty nuts. Hindsight and all, and it is pretty easy to point the finger and blame Nintendo now, but I remember the internet singing a totally different tune back in January. With the the flop the was the Wii U, the doom-saying surrounding the Switch after it's reveal, it is hard to blame Nintendo going conservative on the Switchs' initial production.

The rest is coulda, woulda, shoulda, but I highly doubt many here would have done anything different with your company coming off an all time low with revenue, mind share, and just over all good faith toward the company. The industry seeming wants you gone (go 3rd party please, and go mobile please talk had to really take a toll after awhile). All Nintendo can do is, really, is prep for the Holidays. Production is something that cannot be whipped up over a few short months.

Dynheart

Banned
No, there isn't. There aren't enough NAND chips to go around right now.

Was going to post this. With the competition going on with this chips, Nintendo is a minnow in an ocean full of sharks. They will get eaten right up with deals get thrown on the table; even if Nintendo starts bidding high for production time.

No one out bids Apple. Next in line is Samsung. I'm sure there are a few others that can throw more money than Nintendo can afford.

It is just the way it is. Nintendo has to settle for scraps, unfortunately.

suaveric

My guess would be February or March of next year. That assumes Nintendo doesn't have any crazy releases planned for the first part of the year. Demand is high, but I don't think it's at 2007 Wii levels. Switch has not become a cultural phenomenon, at least not yet.

People seem to have forgotten that especially after the January event, there was a negative sentiment about the Switch - about the price, the features, and the games.

Nintendo was right to be conservative with their estimations.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People seem to have forgotten that especially after the January event, there was a negative sentiment about the Switch - about the price, the features, and the games.

Not just from fans/gamers....look at the launch lineup - Bomberman being one of the big 3rdParty hitters said it all.

Yeah the Jan event made it look like "Wiiu but fully portable this time!" and I cant' fault them for being cautious on producing something with that pitch.

Syriel

http://kotaku.com/japans-nintendo-switch-lines-are-hell-1796975143

This boggles my mind. I almost want Nintendo to shut off supply to the rest of the world just to deal with Japan's supply issues for a month or two. Almost.

Amazon Japan ships to America. I'd be shocked if Amazon US doesn't do the same.

Switch is downright abundant stateside, compared to the NES Mini (and likely the SNES Classic).

Figured importers would be jumping at the chance to fill that demand.

Nesther

I think Nintendo's doling out supply evenly by region. Supply situation's completely normal in Europe, Nintendo's weak region, so they could be diverting some of that.

Is it really? Here in Switzerland it's still impossible to find one, my friends are going to miss out on Splatoon 2 launch due to the low supply.

takriel

Is it really? Here in Switzerland it's still impossible to find one, my friends are going to miss out on Splatoon 2 launch due to the low supply.
True, I think WoG only has them back in stock next month? Or has it been pushed back again? The situation here is really bad.

I think the best bet is to try and buy the Splatoon set.

Nesther

True, I think WoG only has them back in stock next month? Or has it been pushed back again? The situation here is really bad.

Yup, that's exactly what they told one of my friends. Media Markt told another one they're getting small shipments every 2 weeks (at least in Basel that is)

m00h

Banned

Same in Germany. In every store that gets a new batch, it's sold out in less than two hours. I spotted a stock once in Media Markt in Düsseldorf, even held the grey unit in my hand for few minutes thinking about actually purchasing it. But the time has not yet come. If I could grab one in Japan for almost 100€ cheaper, that would be another story.

I think this is just a Tokyo/crazy populated area problem (as far as Japan goes)? I was staying with a friend in Tokyo when the Switch launched and could find no preorders in stores, but was lucky to get an Amazon preorder from a GAFer. I was able to get a copy of Zelda physically in Shinjuku at Bic the next day tho.

But I've since moved to Fukushima City which I'd say straddles the line well between semi-rural and semi-urban, and the Bic x Kojima I frequent doesn't seem to have stock problems. I go there pretty much every time a game comes out and they've had a couple of Switches each time. I'm pretty sure they're being bought and not just sitting there.

I'm planning on getting Spla2n, the inky Joy Cons and an inky Pro this Friday, but honestly I'm really considering getting a console bundle with the Joy Cons if they have it to use as a gift since it's a nice bundle. The whole stock situation here could totally change post Spla2n haha.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Amazon Japan ships to America. I'd be shocked if Amazon US doesn't do the same.

Switch is downright abundant stateside, compared to the NES Mini (and likely the SNES Classic).

Figured importers would be jumping at the chance to fill that demand.

Buyers would just be fucking themselves over as for the most part if any service is needed of a product that is not made for sale within japan the company is within its rights to refuse servicing it.

So in short people would be SOL with getting repairs if anything breaks on their imported unit.

People dont need to import as its possible to get units just not at the standard retail price. Generally a 100-200 usd markup.

Top Bottom