• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Japan's Nintendo Switch Lines Are Hell

KtSlime

Buyers would just be fucking themselves over as for the most part if any service is needed of a product that is not made for sale within japan the company is within its rights to refuse servicing it.

So in short people would be SOL with getting repairs if anything breaks on their imported unit.

People dont need to import as its possible to get units just not at the standard retail price. Generally a 100-200 usd markup.

Amazon Global doesn't even work with our Amazon accounts, in general it is just a hassle to import things nevermind the extra expense.

rockyt

I just like to say that people who have not work in manufacturing likes these or deal in situation on the production level in manufacturing talk as if increasing production at a flip of a switch have no idea what they talking about.

1. The manufacturing company that's making your product has to increase production has to renegotiate the contract.
2. The workforce has to be increase that means a large hiring process and in the meantime regular employee have to work lots of OT. Been there 30 to 60 days without a day off before to meet demand while ramping up. Was not fun was my early days starting in manufacturing.
3. The manufacturer has to receive more parts to make the product either through contractor making contracts or making contracts themselves.
4. Not all parts are working. Basically all parts has to be tested to see if they work or not not 100 percent.
5. If the manufacturer do products for other companies which most do they have to renogoiate production space and production time.

These are some of the situation that comes with increasing production and that's not including all the other logistic. Ramping down and halting production is not a good thing since manufacturer will give that time and space to someone else and it become even more costly to redo a contract no matter who the company are.

Zolbrod

Amazon Japan ships to America. I'd be shocked if Amazon US doesn't do the same.

I think they do, but it's $410 right now, which translates to about 46,000 yen, and that's not even including the shipping.
I also think they don't import hardware very much in general.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
the fuck are you on dude? Do you really believe in artificial scarcity when they have so much to lose by not having the supply there?

And remember, this is all Yakuza's fault

Okay, so it's selling. But what are the Japanese actually saying about the Switch?

It could be selling because the Yakuza are buying them up to scalp like they were with the PSVR.

madmackem

I feel for those people, meanwhile in my city I can go buy as many as I want. I bet Nintendo isn't unhappy with this though as it will push up demand but it's a game they have to not push to far as to piss people off.

Nintendo is not just terrible at manufacturing but also demand management. There are areas in the USA where you can walk up to a lot of Walmart or Target's and just grab a switch from the shelves. In other areas they are long gone with no information on when it might get a restock. Its also crazy that Nintendo keeps sending switches to Walmart and Target, when they are absolutely abysmal about tracking and selling hardware like that - can't order online for in store pickup, can't tell instore inventory most of the time either. Why wouldn't Nintendo send all its USA units just to amazon and gamestop, for now?

Nintendo has nothing to do with how it gets distributed by Walmart and Target, they don't determine which Target stores get how many units. They send X number to Walmart and Target and then they determine where the stock goes. And Nintendo doesn't send all its stock to just 2 distributors because they need to keep all the retailers happy. You can't fuck over Walmart and then expect them to play nice down the road. Come one man.

Shin

Banned
I feel especially bad for the parents lining up for hours to get their kids one only to luck out.

zelas

I thought they were competing with the big apple for components
If they actually couldnt start production MUCH EARLIER than before their dilemma with Apple began, then that's even more of a reason why it was terrible move for Nintendo to go with a worldwide launch as opposed to the staggered approaches they've done before.

Nintendo alone has control over their release dates, they knew best (long before launch) just how many units they would have available. How did they look at Switch's current supply numbers and long term production problems and decide a worldwide launch was still a good idea?

Fiendcode

Was going to post this. With the competition going on with this chips, Nintendo is a minnow in an ocean full of sharks. They will get eaten right up with deals get thrown on the table; even if Nintendo starts bidding high for production time.

No one out bids Apple. Next in line is Samsung. I'm sure there are a few others that can throw more money than Nintendo can afford.

It is just the way it is. Nintendo has to settle for scraps, unfortunately.
Samsung is actually one of the suppliers for Switch's 32GB NAND chips. The other is Toshiba.

That's pretty nuts but Splatoon (and a holiday apparently) will do that. It still basically sells out worldwide outside of a few EU countries and Australia apparently, so it's not like they can divert much stock.

They mentioned that the increased production rate will result in more stock this fall (or was it starting in August?) so that will help alleviate some of this demand, but it should be way back up again for the holiday season. I can't see it being readily available until early-mid 2018 sadly.

Kohokz80

Neo Member
I just like to say that people who have not work in manufacturing likes these or deal in situation on the production level in manufacturing talk as if increasing production at a flip of a switch have no idea what they talking about.

1. The manufacturing company that's making your product has to increase production has to renegotiate the contract.
2. The workforce has to be increase that means a large hiring process and in the meantime regular employee have to work lots of OT. Been there 30 to 60 days without a day off before to meet demand while ramping up. Was not fun was my early days starting in manufacturing.
3. The manufacturer has to receive more parts to make the product either through contractor making contracts or making contracts themselves.
4. Not all parts are working. Basically all parts has to be tested to see if they work or not not 100 percent.
5. If the manufacturer do products for other companies which most do they have to renogoiate production space and production time.

These are some of the situation that comes with increasing production and that's not including all the other logistic. Ramping down and halting production is not a good thing since manufacturer will give that time and space to someone else and it become even more costly to redo a contract no matter who the company are.

Wow, that is some awesome insight, and your probably right its all business. Nintendo is not going to make a ton of Switch's unless they know for sure they will have demand now they can look to ramping up production because the want is there. I do feel bad for the folks that dont have a Switch and want one, but it will happen they will get their Switch's.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's nice to see core gaming is still hanging on in Japan and they haven't gone 100% mobile yet, no matter how much Nirolack hopes otherwise...

Top Bottom