• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet The Head Transplant Doctor at The Centre of a MGS Conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niosai

This is one huge viral campaign. But really, if this all turned out to be a giant publicity stunt, it would be the greatest of all time.

LE8OOYZX6244-2099-kgcF-U10402157248164EWF-700x394@LaStampa.it.jpg

ok now someone tell me how this guy isn't a perfect pairing for Kojima and MGS series.

People really believe there is a doctor out there going to attempt a head transplant in this day and age? Really? This is genius viral marketing and Kojima is sitting in his secret lair laughing his arse off while playing us like fiddles.

B4Wg2DrCQAAWMQV.jpg

I wonder what Kojima will do with this if a lawsuit were to go through...

Edit: Wow...Someone just beat me to it...

Ah shit I'm on that. I swear I wasn't involved in this fracas, I just pointed out how eerie the resemblance was.

Though I can imagine Konami being just that much more pissed at Kojima and can't help feel a little satisfied.

Hahahahahahaha this is hilarious. If Kojima gets sued over this Hahaha oh my god....

Edit: reading the other posts talking of the possibility of this being a huge marketing set up is making me amazed... What if it is... The greatest set up ever..

Lyriell

I shook my head at the thread the first time I saw it. I figured everyone was just in on an elaborate joke like the Maurauder Sheilds thing.

Yet there are some people out there who think this is a Konami/Kojima hoax?

If i recall correctly wasn't there a head transplant done on a chimp or something a while back but the body rejected the head?

Either way, let this be a cautionary tale...

MBS

Banned
GAF, you lost.

Mr Canavero is indeed a real doctor who’s published more than a hundred papers, and is actually a pretty familiar face here in Italy. In 2008 he managed to wake a patient from a vegetative coma using a technique of his own invention. This was widely reported in all the major newspapers in my country because it happened right in the middle of a chain of events involving Piergiorgio Welby and Eluana Englaro, two of the most-discussed euthanasia cases of that time.

ilium

As I wrote yesterday, Canavero is a real doctor working in Torino's hospital. If you want a proof, go and check the staff on the hospital's web page. So no, this is not a marketing stunt.

GAF, you lost.

inb4 "it's a ruse planned by Kojima since 2008"

you guys are hilarious. no one ever said the doctor is fake.
all was said is that it may be possible that there is some sort of cross-promotion going on.

Acosta

29/04/15 -

Hideo Kojima, on a press event, announces he is not working anymore for Konami and that he retires from the industry: "The recent events made me rethink our work as creators, in the recent months I realized that the gaming community is poisonous and is impeding the growth of gaming. But, the creators like myself, are also partially to blame. To clean and reset this industry I'm gonna take the first step, I'm announcing my retirement from the gaming world"

13/06/15 -

Konami announces a court settlement with Dr Cannavaro, afraid of the posible delay for months, Konami decided to offer a nice sum of money to the doctor that has a striking resemblance to one of the characters of the game. Rumors affirm the amount of money is abouot 20 million euros. Cannavaro simply stated: "This is the first step for the human inmortality".

26/06/15 -

To recoup the lost money in the court settlement, Konami decided to lauch the game just a few days after as a way to recover the money and impede that the negativity around the game hurts the sales even more. The game launches with several bugs and lack of polish due to it's rushed launch, still gets widely praised by critics, biogamergirl praised the action and the amazing cutscenes at the level of a big hollywood project, "It was so good that for a moment I thought I was watching the new Avengers movie!" she said.

Yes, ironically enough, Batzi ended up being right.

12/07/15 -

NPD numbers are in: MGSV reaches first spot, but sales are lower than MGS4, Patcher notes it:"Is a very bad number as a whole, one of the few big japanese IP's are in danger and this could led to a potential disaster", he even goes as far as to say:"This is the beginning of the end of the console/dedicated hardware and gaming". GAF laughs at it, obviously.

07/12/15 -

After several cut content sold as DLC that pissed gamers but they end buying anyway, Konami on a press event happily announces that MGSV it's the third highest selling MGS game ever, even with not so good sales, they are really happy since thanks to the overpriced DLC the game still made a lot of money. But that's not the only announcement, Konami is going to annualize Metal Gear, the first game of the new saga will be developed by Spark Unlimited. The new head of the gaming division on Konami assured that the company is closely working with the western studio so the game reaches the standard quality of the series. "We love how hollywood managed to reboot some of their most beloved movies, we intend to do the same with Metal Gear, making it more aprochable for a new generation of gamers"

17/05/17 -

Metal Gear: Heaven is released on PS4, Xbox One and PC. The game is a disjointed effort of trying to mimic Ubisoft open world design and the MGS traditional gameplay. Game is way more action heavy, and stealth is severily undermined. Dosn't help that it performs and looks worse than the last entry. Overall is the worst rated MG game ever, like fans predicted, Dawg from GAF stated: "Damn, I'm not buying a Metal Gear game ever". He bought the next entry a year later.

10/08/17 -

Nintendo is the first mobile company in revenue in Japan and second in the world just behind Supercell. Satoru Iwata is happy with the results and hopes this new public will join the fun of the New Game Boy, the system that was codenamed NX a couple years ago: "We hope that the people who enjoy our mobile games will find our new handheld as the next step in the experience".

13/01/18 -

NPD numbers are in, New Game Boy continues it's lackluster sales behind 3DS numbers by a good margin, PS4 and Xbox One, who had a promising start had 20% less sales than a year before. Mobile gaming with the new advanced tablets is slowly eating the ground of the dedicated gaming market, overall the industry is 34% down.

7/05/19 -

Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata won't comment about the rumors that the follow up of the Wii U has been silently canceled, due to the company growing focus on the mobile market and multimedia efforts, with movies and shows of their invigorated IP's that are a smash success in mobile. "We have no comment to make regarding these rumors, just want to say, that Nintendo will always offer quality experiences and that won't change".

11/03/20 -

After more dissapointed sales, Sony and MS are unable to fight against the newfound stronghold of Mobile/Tablet gaming, more and more traditional console companies are not releasing their games on console and they are jumping to that market. New Game Boy continues it's sad penitence on the failure road that Vita walked just a few years before, most of their games a loli japanese simulators, Nintendo finally abandoned their portable, for the first time the new mainline Pokemon game will be released on mobile.

18/08/20 -

Dr Cannavaro performed it's first succesful head transplant after 3 failed attempts, patient died a few hours later, but the italian doctor was ecstatic with the results. In his speech in front of hundreds of journalist he never thanked GAF, "ungrateful bastard" wrote Sn4ke, the last MGS fan on GAF.

24/01/22 -

Sony and MS relased their new consoles a year before, a desperate attempt to stop the mobile tsunami that was gonna drown the console industry. Both were a failure and quickly abandoned, Sony and MS ended killing their first party studios a few months later. The end of an era. "I was right and you were wrong, who laughs now?" created by Patcher on GAF, quickly becomes one of the most legendary threads on GAF.

1/01/24 -

A new year and the gaming landscape changed forever, GAF is now a PC gaming forum, since PC gaming never suffered from this crisis. New posters react amused as the histories told by the veteran members about how people fighted over company and hardware preferences and how GAF, in some kind of twisted butterfly effect, killed traditional console gaming. They don't believe us, but we, deep in our hearts that still cry over the loss, know the truth.

This thread delivers. Beautiful!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I've only ever played an hour or two of Twin Snakes, but if this is what prolonged exposure to MGS does to people, they need to invent a new rating for this shit.

Maybe attach a Warning: "May Cause Borderline Paranoid Mass Delusions. Consult a Doctor Before Use."

Hell, maybe this is what pushed Dyack off the deep end.

MBS

Banned
you guys are hilarious. no one ever said the doctor is fake.
all was said is that it may be possible that there is some sort of cross-promotion going on.

The doctor couldn't care less about a promoting a videogame when he already posted a real paper about the procedure. It doesn't make any sense. HEAVEN stands for Head Anastomosis Venture Project and is a peer-reviewed study since 2013.

http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com...4;issue=2;spage=335;epage=342;aulast=Canavero

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821155/

Doctor in MGS5 is modeled after another actor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
29/04/15 -

Hideo Kojima, on a press event, announces he is not working anymore for Konami and that he retires from the industry: "The recent events made me rethink our work as creators, in the recent months I realized that the gaming community is poisonous and is impeding the growth of gaming. But, the creators like myself, are also partially to blame. To clean and reset this industry I'm gonna take the first step, I'm announcing my retirement from the gaming world"

13/06/15 -

Konami announces a court settlement with Dr Cannavaro, afraid of the posible delay for months, Konami decided to offer a nice sum of money to the doctor that has a striking resemblance to one of the characters of the game. Rumors affirm the amount of money is abouot 20 million euros. Cannavaro simply stated: "This is the first step for the human inmortality".

26/06/15 -

To recoup the lost money in the court settlement, Konami decided to lauch the game just a few days after as a way to recover the money and impede that the negativity around the game hurts the sales even more. The game launches with several bugs and lack of polish due to it's rushed launch, still gets widely praised by critics, biogamergirl praised the action and the amazing cutscenes at the level of a big hollywood project, "It was so good that for a moment I thought I was watching the new Avengers movie!" she said.

12/07/15 -

NPD numbers are in: MGSV reaches first spot, but sales are lower than MGS4, Patcher notes it:"Is a very bad number as a whole, one of the few big japanese IP's are in danger and this could led to a potential disaster", he even goes as far as to say:"This is the beginning of the end of the console/dedicated hardware and gaming". GAF laughs at it, obviously.

07/12/15 -

After several cut content sold as DLC that pissed gamers but they end buying anyway, Konami on a press event happily announces that MGSV it's the third highest selling MGS game ever, even with not so good sales, they are really happy since thanks to the overpriced DLC the game still made a lot of money. But that's not the only announcement, Konami is going to annualize Metal Gear, the first game of the new saga will be developed by Spark Unlimited. The new head of the gaming division on Konami assured that the company is closely working with the western studio so the game reaches the standard quality of the series. "We love how hollywood managed to reboot some of their most beloved movies, we intend to do the same with Metal Gear, making it more aprochable for a new generation of gamers"

17/05/17 -

Metal Gear: Heaven is released on PS4, Xbox One and PC. The game is a disjointed effort of trying to mimic Ubisoft open world design and the MGS traditional gameplay. Game is way more action heavy, and stealth is severily undermined. Dosn't help that it performs and looks worse than the last entry. Overall is the worst rated MG game ever, like fans predicted, Dawg from GAF stated: "Damn, I'm not buying a Metal Gear game ever". He bought the next entry a year later.

10/08/17 -

Nintendo is the first mobile company in revenue in Japan and second in the world just behind Supercell. Satoru Iwata is happy with the results and hopes this new public will join the fun of the New Game Boy, the system that was codenamed NX a couple years ago: "We hope that the people who enjoy our mobile games will find our new handheld as the next step in the experience".

13/01/18 -

NPD numbers are in, New Game Boy continues it's lackluster sales behind 3DS numbers by a good margin, PS4 and Xbox One, who had a promising start had 20% less sales than a year before. Mobile gaming with the new advanced tablets is slowly eating the ground of the dedicated gaming market, overall the industry is 34% down.

7/05/19 -

Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata won't comment about the rumors that the follow up of the Wii U has been silently canceled, due to the company growing focus on the mobile market and multimedia efforts, with movies and shows of their invigorated IP's that are a smash success in mobile. "We have no comment to make regarding these rumors, just want to say, that Nintendo will always offer quality experiences and that won't change".

11/03/20 -

After more dissapointed sales, Sony and MS are unable to fight against the newfound stronghold of Mobile/Tablet gaming, more and more traditional console companies are not releasing their games on console and they are jumping to that market. New Game Boy continues it's sad penitence on the failure road that Vita walked just a few years before, most of their games a loli japanese simulators, Nintendo finally abandoned their portable, for the first time the new mainline Pokemon game will be released on mobile.

18/08/20 -

Dr Cannavaro performed it's first succesful head transplant after 3 failed attempts, patient died a few hours later, but the italian doctor was ecstatic with the results. In his speech in front of hundreds of journalist he never thanked GAF, "ungrateful bastard" wrote Sn4ke, the last MGS fan on GAF.

24/01/22 -

Sony and MS relased their new consoles a year before, a desperate attempt to stop the mobile tsunami that was gonna drown the console industry. Both were a failure and quickly abandoned, Sony and MS ended killing their first party studios a few months later. The end of an era. "I was right and you were wrong, who laughs now?" created by Patcher on GAF, quickly becomes one of the most legendary threads on GAF.

1/01/24 -

A new year and the gaming landscape changed forever, GAF is now a PC gaming forum, since PC gaming never suffered from this crisis. New posters react amused as the histories told by the veteran members about how people fighted over company and hardware preferences and how GAF, in some kind of twisted butterfly effect, killed traditional console gaming. They don't believe us, but we, deep in our hearts that still cry over the loss, know the truth.

Where you see loss I see freedom. Gaming without borders. Where all developers are free to choose their own paths.

A utopia.

ilium

The doctor couldn't care less about a promoting a videogame when he already posted a real paper about the procedure. It doesn't make any sense. HEAVEN stands for Head Anastomosis Venture Project and is a peer-reviewed study since 2013.

http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com...4;issue=2;spage=335;epage=342;aulast=Canavero

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821155/

Doctor in MGS5 is modeled after another actor. Nothing more, nothing less.

this scheme would draw attention to the game and the medical procedure. that's why i said cross-promotion.

btw, wasn't that paper handed in just a couple days after the infamous joakim ruse? ;)

Adnor

Banned
If Kojima decides to stay in the gaming industry I'm sure he'll never try to do weird marketing campaigns again, his fans are fucking crazy searching for conspiracies where there's none.

If Kojima decides to stay in the gaming industry I'm sure he'll never try to do weird marketing campaigns again, his fans are fucking crazy searching for conspiracies where there's none.

it's way too late for that, MGS2 permanently scarred the fanbase

He's a man who created fake game studios (not once, but twice) to build hype for different games.... TWICE. Most people saw through the first one, but he did it again and got away with it! He is the rusemaster!

He can't help himself!

I've only ever played an hour or two of Twin Snakes, but if this is what prolonged exposure to MGS does to people, they need to invent a new rating for this shit.

Maybe attach a Warning: "May Cause Borderline Paranoid Mass Delusions. Consult a Doctor Before Use."

Hell, maybe this is what pushed Dyack off the deep end.

It's true. ;_;

Well, at least they cite NeoGAF as their source.

That thread was insanity at its finest. It was fun to read and partake in. Shame about the repercussions it might have.

29/04/15 -

13/06/15 -

26/06/15 -

12/07/15 -

07/12/15 -

17/05/17 -

10/08/17 -

13/01/18 -

7/05/19 -

11/03/20 -

18/08/20 -

24/01/22 -

1/01/24 -

Feels...
655ZcGg.gif

He also seemed very interested in how much Metal Gear Solid V might be worth. At one point, suddenly asked me: “By the way, do you know how much this game is going to cost? And how many copies will it sell?” When I estimated that it’ll sell maybe 4 million units at 60 euros a pop, he started laughing.

tumblr_nn03njg5C31snteogo7_r2_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom