• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

I thought AC3 is generally regarded as terrible? I think it's terrible.

Unity does absolutely nothing exciting. I gave it a few hours and gave up. I'll probably never play another unless they pull another Black Flag and really introduce some new stuff\mechanics. The combat.... ugh.

AC3 is the best AC for me.
And yes i have all of them
And yes i finished all of them at 100%
Everyone crap on AC3 just because the desmond ending. Play like me: don't give a thumb up for the present, don't even think about it for the next game, Present is just a Vehicule for Desilet to make us travel through time. They keep the present story...and it's bad because now they don't know how to deal with it.

But AC3 the story was one of the best in gaming history. Haytham, the beginning on boat, the campain very very cool with great battles, the plot twist after sequence 3, the great ending (in connor part, not desmond).

It was AWESOME.

I played again AC2 recently. I still don't understand how today (but in 2009 ok) the game is so praised. It's like those "ocarina of time fandom" who crap on every zelda game since 2000.

I mean...those alternate quest are the most bad of the entire series.
"Punch mu husband he cheated on me!"
"Deliver this letter!"
"Hey ezio, wanna run? You think you can run faster than me? HAHAHAHA" -_-

jschreier

Seems much less credible than the recent Egypt rumors that have caught fire.

Still, has Schreier commented on this particular story yet? Someone posted a tweet of his from last night indicating that there could still be a 2016 release.
OK, let me be as clear as possible:

- As I reported, a number of good sources have told me that AC: Empire is set in ancient Egypt and coming in 2017. One source mentioned last year that it would also be set in ancient Rome, although I don't know if that's still the case.

- Today's 4chan rumor reeks of BS but I can't say for sure one way or another.

- Although I had heard from several sources that Empire would be the next big AC game and that the series was skipping 2016, I did hear from two different people later this week (after my original article went live) that there is actually some sort of AC coming this year (not Rome or the AC Collection, but something else entirely), although I haven't been able to corroborate any of the details, and it all contradicts what I'd heard from other reliable people. I'll stay vague for now as I'm still trying to figure out what's true. If I was wrong about there not being a big game this year, I'll do my best to correct the record as quickly as I can.

Didnt Jade Raymond mention Ancient Rome at an offhand interview back in 2014 when she was promoting Unity as locations to visit?

Other than that this sounds really fetchy. This would seem more like a sequel to the Empire game set in Egypt. The banner would make sense as that 4 chan leaker mentioned visiting Rome, another ancient empire around the same era.

- As I reported, a number of good sources have told me that AC: Empire is set in ancient Egypt and coming in 2017. One source mentioned last year that it would also be set in ancient Rome, although I don't know if that's still the case.

- Although I had heard from several sources that Empire would be the next big AC game and that the series was skipping 2016, I did hear from two different people later this week (after my original article went live) that there is actually some sort of AC coming this year (not Rome or the AC Collection, but something else entirely), although I haven't been able to corroborate any of the details, and it all contradicts what I'd heard from other reliable people. I'll stay vague for now as I'm still trying to figure out what's true. If I was wrong about there not being a big game this year, I'll do my best to correct the record as quickly as I can.

Maybe another AC Chronicles?

Everyone crap on AC3 just because the desmond ending. Play like me: don't give a thumb up for the present, don't even think about it for the next game, Present is just a Vehicule for Desilet to make us travel through time. They keep the present story...and it's bad because now they don't know how to deal with it.

But AC3 the story was one of the best in gaming history. Haytham, the beginning on boat, the campain very very cool with great battles, the plot twist after sequence 3, the great ending (in connor part, not desmond).

It was AWESOME.

No there are plenty of reasons people don't like ac3 outside of Desmond. AC3 was probably the worst game ive ever played story wise, character wise and gameplay wise. The only part I somewhat enjoyed was the intro assassination.

M0G

This is great news as a fan of the series. I say fan but I've already told myself if they kept going forward in time with the series I'm done now. I've had Syndicate for months but played about two hours before playing pretty much anything else in my backlog.

Now if they go with this trilogy idea - Egypt, Greece, Rome I'm gonna find my interest in the series re-ignited. Antiquity gives them so much more freedom creatively and is a fascinating era in world history. Bring back a proper story arc and add to the series mythology proper and we're back in business as far as I'm concerned.

Didnt Jade Raymond mention Ancient Rome at an offhand interview back in 2014 when she was promoting Unity as locations to visit?

Other than that this sounds really fetchy. This would seem more like a sequel to the Empire game set in Egypt. The banner would make sense as that 4 chan leaker mentioned visiting Rome, another ancient empire around the same era.

Jade worked on Syndicate before leaving (like Desilet worked on the beginning of Unity in 2010 before... leaving).

Mom and Pa are really gone now. We stille have Jean Guesdon who direct the franchise (he worked on all AC game except AC3 and Unity).

It also says it's only 40% finished. Can they really rush it that much for a release in 2016?

New Hero's name: Marcus Junius Brutus
-will visit numerous italian cities including Roma.
-Horses and Naval battles will return
-New fonctionalities that will make travelling on ships that much more better than in Black Flag.
-Most ambitious project yet and promises that we never seen anything so amazing elsewhere. It's a totally different game. (lol)
-Darker scenario with a different angle between the Templars/Assassins war.

Darker scenario? Noooooo. I really liked the more light-hearted approach of Syndicate. :(

This is great news as a fan of the series. I say fan but I've already told myself if they kept going forward in time with the series I'm done now. I've had Syndicate for months but played about two hours before playing pretty much anything else in my backlog.

Now if they go with this trilogy idea - Egypt, Greece, Rome I'm gonna find my interest in the series re-ignited. Antiquity gives them so much more freedom creatively and is a fascinating era in world history. Bring back a proper story arc and add to the series mythology proper and we're back in business as far as I'm concerned.

You should continue, Syndicate is really great .

Gemüsepizza;191613098 said:
Darker scenario? Noooooo. I really liked the more light-hearted approach of Syndicate. :(

They want Juno plot -_- and Inus, and Present story that we don't actually give a f***.
I know some peoples who played each AC only to see what Juno will say this time.

What the hell guys, this game is about epic adventure in History!
giphy.gif

mhayes86

I'll stay vague for now as I'm still trying to figure out what's true. If I was wrong about there not being a big game this year, I'll do my best to correct the record as quickly as I can.

I sure hope they skip 2016. I'm sure a lot of people will still buy the release, but giving the consumers a breath of fresh air would certainly make a new main-line game more appealing; possibly alleviate some of the flak that the franchise gets.

Wulfram

How ancient an egypt are we talking about? Considering we've got 4000 years to cover, its not really very specific.

I thought AC3 is generally regarded as terrible? I think it's terrible.

Unity does absolutely nothing exciting. I gave it a few hours and gave up. I'll probably never play another unless they pull another Black Flag and really introduce some new stuff\mechanics. The combat.... ugh.

"Does absolutely nothing exciting"

"Played it for a few hours"

Morts

It was AWESOME.

Nah, that's not why I hated AC3. The pace of the story was slow as molasses and terribly boring mission design results in a waste of its incredible setting. I can't forgive it for that. I also had an incredibly glitchy time with it.

I actually just started playing Rogue this week so I'll be mildly annoyed if it finally comes to PS4 this year. So far I'm loving it's look at colonial America.

Yoday

I played again AC2 recently. I still don't understand how today (but in 2009 ok) the game is so praised. It's like those "ocarina of time fandom" who crap on every zelda game since 2000.

I mean...those alternate quest are the most bad of the entire series.
"Punch mu husband he cheated on me!"
"Deliver this letter!"
"Hey ezio, wanna run? You think you can run faster than me? HAHAHAHA" -_-
It's called nostalgia. I would bet most of the people who say AC2 was the last good game in the series haven't played AC2 since it released. I still love AC2 for its setting and characters, but you're right, it hasnt aged nearly as well as people like to think when compared to newer games in the series. I really hope Ubi does put out an AC collection so people will have a reason to revisit the older games.

I'm sceptical of this new Rome rumor, but I hope it is true. I have been wanting them to go back to ancient times for a few years now, so these rumors have me beyond excited. Ancient Egypt is my number one most desired AC setting, and ancient Rome is a close second. If I get both of those settings over the next two years I will be one thrilled AC fan.

Is that the name Those Who Came Before have now, the Inus?

yes you learn the name in Syndicate
In fact, Syndicate deliver more information about them, that's quite surprising. Present cutscenes are "meh" but audio files + datas in the database are good.

AC is not a dead series

As there any bad AC yet? No (maybe Liberation).
All AC are good
In fact i still don't understand how people can praise AC2 again today after Brotherhood, AC3 AC4 or Syndicate
No no no, I was saying if there was no new announcement after like E3 2016 or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Maybe a downloadable game like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger?

It would presumably be small enough that some people wouldn't know about it, while others would.

It's called nostalgia.

I know and that's bored me. Each year the AC game is destroy and then in may-june "okay actually...the last AC game was good".

I remember the day the first test on Syndicate was online was the same day Bolloré wants to buy Ubisoft. Everyone said "GO! KILL UBI" and then all the reviews came and in fact Syndicate is really really good: and they change their vest.

I'm still thinking that the fact AC is the most hated game series today is not fair. Each game is absolutely amazing for the work developers did (about history etc...)

Is that the name Those Who Came Before have now, the Inus?

The Isu, it is.

By the way, I honestly enjoyed ACIII for what it was worth, but I think many wrong notes were hit. Would have loved way more devolopemnt of Connor. I keep thinking I want another game with him, now as a Master Assassin, and see how he evolves.

Maybe a downloadable game like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger?

It would presumably be small enough that some people wouldn't know about it, while others would.

well Chronicles are like that no?
In fact you can buy them independantly (even if there is a "three part code" to complete by playing all of the games).

Mendax

would general employees in one of ubisoft studios even know about the projects of the other studios?? I would think they don't?

Yoday

I know and that's bored me. Each year the AC game is destroy and then in may-june "okay actually...the last AC game was good".

I remember the day the first test on Syndicate was online was the same day Bolloré wants to buy Ubisoft. Everyone said "GO! KILL UBI" and then all the reviews came and in fact Syndicate is really really good: and they change their vest.

I'm still thinking that the fact AC is the most hated game series today is not fair. Each game is absolutely amazing for the work developers did (about history etc...)
Don't worry, you're not alone. I feel the same way, and I think Unity was the biggest victim. Unity may have had some issues at launch, but they were severely exaggerated and fixed pretty quickly. Underneath all of the drama surrounding that game was a spectacular game world and some pretty major changes to the series. Unity is honestly in contention for my favorite game in the series.

Mendax

Well, there are generally eight or more studios working on the same game at Ubisoft.

haha lol yeah ok but I meant it more like would the people making furniture for unity know details about syndicate's setting, character and the likes :p

I think it wouldn't be surprising for someone like that to not know about 2016's AC

Couldn't be something like that from the article, the developers stated that it was the most ambitious game they made and they're also adding both naval and horse back into the game.

what's the thing with adding and removing horse between iterations. it's so weird.

Couldn't be something like that from the article, the developers stated that it was the most ambitious game they made and they're also adding both naval and horse back into the game.

Yoday

Ubi trying to flush their moles LOL
Probably. I'm not sure if I want the leaks to stop or not. On one hand I'd like to be surprised by an AC announcement for once, and on the other hand it's really nice having the anual late December to January leaks to tease what is coming right after finishing the last game and wanting more.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I feel the same way, and I think Unity was the biggest victim. Unity may have had some issues at launch, but they were severely exaggerated and fixed pretty quickly. Underneath all of the drama surrounding that game was a spectacular game world and some pretty major changes to the series. Unity is honestly in contention for my favorite game in the series.

-PS4 and ONE aren't next gen console and was much less powerful than expected by the devs
-Watch dogs downgrade so "don't downgrade Unity" "hemm...okay but it will not run on your machi... ?" "DON'T DOWNGRADE IT!"

"Does absolutely nothing exciting"

"Played it for a few hours"

Am I wrong? Does the game introduce some really unique and exciting mechanics 5 hours in? It felt like it regressed back to the normal Assassin's Creed without the ships from AC3\AC4, which was the only thing keeping me interested in those games.

I have all of them and for Unity it's because of two things:
-PS4 and ONE aren't next gen console. Deal with it, even with patch the game will never work on that. That explain why Syndicate doesn't have any interiors (besides pubs).
-Watch dogs downgrade...so guillemot said: "DON'T DOWNGRADE UNITY!"
"But boss....we can't sell the game like that"
"DON'T!"

Each LTTP i saw about Unity on this forum the guy said "hey unity is really good and is one of the most beautiful open world i saw in games".

(but the story is not good , i can't expect better from the guy who direct Revelations)

Ignoring the fact that your reasoning is being pulled out of thin air, the technical issues weren't even the worst part of that game, and were generally fixed. It's just a bad game, possibly even the worst; it's pretty neck and neck between Unity & AC3.

Am I wrong? Does the game introduce some really unique and exciting mechanics 5 hours in? It felt like it regressed back to the normal Assassin's Creed without the ships from AC3\AC4, which was the only thing keeping me interested in those games.

Well the parkour gameplay and the combat are completely new, the interior and the detectives side missions too. Seems like it's not enough for you though.

Mendax

the actual stealth, the active combat and the coop multiplayer were more than exciting enough for me...

Taelus

It was AWESOME.

I agree. AC3 had its issues, but I think the story and writing are really underrated. The Homestead missions also add a lot to the characters, particularly the relationship between Connor and Achilles.

Z3M0G

You know you've done something wrong when people are happy that there won't be a game in your franchise released this year.

Guess we'll be getting current gen remasters this year so they can work on Empires. (remember there being a thread about potential remasters of the older AC games last month) If this is true then I am beyond hyped. Been wanting an Egypt AC game for awhile. Syndicate was A LOT of fun!

They could release a remastered version of Rogue perhaps.

Spinluck

If they hold back on releasing one this year to focus on this one, I might give the franchise the time of day again. Haven't played one since AC3, and I Redboxed that one.

I've only played the numeric entries anyway. That side spin off shit was too much fluff for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It would presumably be Rome during the same time period as they're in Egypt, so ancient Rome.

Edit:

I misread the year there.

Yeah, now that I've read the article in full, the historical period is 68-49 BC. Oh well, a return to Italy in some sense, while not ideal, is something I could file under "Close enough".

pannagape

Banned
An AC outside Western Europe is all well and good, but the question remains why Ubisoft refuses to make a mainline installment take place in Asia.

Perhaps they don't think an Asian AC would sell as well, or maybe they're too lazy to research Eastern cultures?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

It was AWESOME.

Agreed.
And I still think Charles Lee is the best bad guy in the series, it has the best combat and I loved the frontier and hunting.
Throw in "The best Theme Music" in the series and a Assassin who acts like a god dam Assassin although Ezio did redeem himself in Revolations, probably because he was matured in his old age.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What do you mean?

EDIT: an AC 40% made and coming this year? Nah.
Syndicate got a bit of good will back because, although not ambitious at all, it was more polished than Unity.

Releasing another Unity style mess would be a nail in the coffin.
Jacob Frye has the same walk/run cycle as Arno.

ryseing

It was AWESOME.

AC3 has bad mission design, bad pacing, and bad controls (weapon wheel on R1...WHY). It's a chore to play and the story is not nearly compelling enough to deal with all of the surrounding jank. Never mind the fact that the story made Forrest Gump look realistic. I still have nightmares about that stupid Paul Revere mission.

All that being said, I did like the Frontier quite a bit. One of my favorite areas in any AC. A personal dream of mine is that Ubi rereleases 3 with all of the bullshit fixed. No more tunnels, weapon wheel on the d-pad, mission design and glitches cleaned up.

Top Bottom