• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
laughing my ass off if true.

Sorry but I was predicting that stuff from a long time ago and I want to see some of my friends Meltdowns already.

I can see it now: "Fuck Square Enix after I Spent cash on the shit of FF13 and 13-2 to get Versus and you slap me in the face with a cancellation for the one I cared about? Fuck you Square Enix!"

OMG and some might even cry actually.

I dont get the people who say its doubtful its been canceled. In 6 years we've heard next to nothing on the game.

Probably a combination of factors:

10% of doubt stems from disbelief that SE would simply abandon a game which has consumed significant amounts of time/resources to develop. This point is arguable, though. Even if true, they could just use whatever they've created in the next FF.

20% of doubt stems from the simple fact that we're talking Kotaku.

The remaining 70% is attributed to DENIAL.

*sobs*

laika09

That Ashcraft piece strikes me as incredibly presumptive, regardless. He has two anonymous sources, telling him directly contradictory things, then makes an article out of it saying "it's cancelled" and waxes rhetoric about the metaphysical significance of it all.

This is probably not true, but if it is, it'll go down in history as the biggest loss of face for a video game company. Square's reputation has already taken a beating with XIII and XIV; this would be the straw breaking the camel's back.

Final Fantasy 7 and X are the most successful of the bunch right?

Why not just exploit those series, id at least be willing to pick stuff around those games up.

13 was a very mixed bag in terms of reception and the wait period for versus has killed any hype it had i feel.

Shamdeo

That Ashcraft piece strikes me as incredibly presumptive, regardless. He has two anonymous sources, telling him directly contradictory things, then makes an article out of it saying "it's cancelled" and waxes rhetoric about the metaphysical significance of it all.

There's gold in them Versus XIII stories.

Jarnet87

I suppose an early death is better then the mega disappointment Squenix was going to face if the game ever came out. I swear everytime there is a post regarding news with this company it just gets worse and worse. Only thing I can't decide today is which piece of news is worse; the rumor of versus being dead, or the company having the balls to go ahead with a 13-3.

Why not just exploit those series, id at least be willing to pick stuff around those games up.

13 was a very mixed bag in terms of reception and the wait period for versus has killed any hype it had i feel.

VII was exploited much to my own chagrin.

X..its supposed to be getting an HD version, but they have said nothing about it since it was announced.

Aeana

7 and 8 are the most successful ones.

Sorry but I was predicting that stuff from a long time ago and I want to see some of my friends Meltdowns already.

I can see it now: "Fuck Square Enix after I Spent cash on the shit of FF13 and 13-2 to get Versus and you slap me in the face with a cancellation for the one I cared about? Fuck you Square Enix!"

I'll never understand people buying a game they don't really want to 'convince' a developer to make the one they do want. Are people really doing this or is it just forum talk. Because it never works out.

I suppose an early death is better then the mega disappointment Squenix was going to face if the game ever came out.

That's an interesting way to put it. From where I stand, and if rumour is true, Versus died a slow, drawn-out and agonizing death over the past 6 years.

Only thing I can't decide today is which piece of news is worse; the rumor of versus being dead, or the company having the balls to go ahead with a 13-3.

What if... Versus BECOMES XIII-3!? :O

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'll never understand people buying a game they don't really want to 'convince' a developer to make the one they do want. Are people really doing this or is it just forum talk. Because it never works out.

Lol don't ask me ask the people who actually spent 120 bucks on FF XIII and XIII-2 without interest in the games in hopes that the budget went to Versus XIII. I know a lot of people on my facebook are already having meltdowns by the rumors. I find it a bit over the top but well I'll just seat and watch people overreacting.

EDIT: I definitely believe that FF XIII and XIII-2 successful sales actually affected FF Versus XIII and they want to go deeper into that universe perhaps. But the assets wont be lost IMO they will definitely somehow manage to use them on FF XIII-3 or FF XV.

Paracelsus

They do and it's kinda scary because every time it happens the next game is NEVER what you expect it to be.

VII was exploited much to my own chagrin.

X..its supposed to be getting an HD version, but they have said nothing about it since it was announced.

7 and 8 are the most successful ones.

More stories in the 7/8/10 universe would make me happy. I know VII has been abused but the core game is fantastic i have not played any of the other stuff. Im thinking something like 7-2.

Im all over the X HD remake when its out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's funny, I am a pretty big ff fan but really couldn't care less if the game got cancelled. I dunno why people put do much stock into this game saving the ff brand when all we have seen is vague bits and pieces of it.
I feel similarly; and the small fragment of combat footage we saw wasn't very enticing either, imo.

I understand getting hyped because of the people involved in it, though (ex: Nomura, Nojima (him in particular, since he wrote FF7, FF8, FF10, etc), etc.).

I think this is just a ploy to cause a massive shit storm that will hopefully make SE release something.

If it works, hell good job, but I doubt it, they are probably laughing at everybody.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Can someone shed a light for those of us who don't know why is this game so important for the franchise, why is it supposed to be good compared to XIII and XIII-2 and what are its ties with XIII's storyline?

Z3M0G

iV7z70YgNFjw7.gif

So many emotions... lol

HBroward

If it's true then I just don't get why they would put Somnus in Theatrhythm's DLCs.

I believe Somnus was omitted from the recent DLC release here in NA, which lends a bit of credibility to this story. People at the time wondered why we weren't getting that track.

Aeana

Can someone shed a light for those of us who don't know why is this game so important for the franchise, why is it supposed to be good compared to XIII and XIII-2 and what are its ties with XIII's storyline?
It's not particularly important, it just represents hope for a lot of people who lost it after FF13.
Its ties are only with the mythology used in FF13 and Type-0, not the actual storylines. Things like l'Cie and such.

Like all kotaku articles, there is little proof or substance here. You could replace xiii-2 versus with agent and the article would still have little merit. It runs contrary to a lot of knowledge currently circulating in the community, so I'm not too terribly worried at this point in time. That being said, it would be interesting if it was cancelled because it would lead into inevitable discoveries about other games in the ff series that were cancelled or heavily modified to fit into another game.

Shamdeo

That's the thing really.

It seems like a large part of it is that we don't know much about the game -- and given the large amount of time it's been stewing in fans' minds, the more they think it's being worked on and polished and perfected. Really, there's little we know about the game's mechanics other than the trailer that showed general gameplay (dated by Nomura's own admission).

People look back and point to Final Fantasy VII as this monumental effort by Squaresoft and make connections to this project as it's taken a lot of time and (supposedly) resources. However, it just doesn't translate into a game of high caliber, and a lack of information about the game just feeds a lot of hearsay and speculation -- generating hype.

So really, an amalgamation of unreasonable fan expectation and too little communication from Square Enix has (I believe) caused the situation they're in today in regards to Versus XIII.

vocab

If SE came out and said it was cancelled, I would be okay with it.

Honestly though, who works on a game, scraps it because FFXIII was so heavily criticized, goes back to the drawing board to rework everything about the game and then cancel it?

FF gave birth to Squaresoft, and FF is gonna be the poison that slowly puts SE into their death bed. They pulled another WE ARE THE SHIT moments when they announced FF14 when 13 wasn't even out.

Kyoufu

If SE came out and said it was cancelled, I would be okay with it.

Honestly though, who works on a game, scraps it because FFXIII was so heavily criticized, goes back to the drawing board to rework everything about the game and then cancel it?

FF gave birth to Squaresoft, and FF is gonna be the poison that slowly puts SE into their death bed.

Versus was re-worked due to XIII's criticism? Source?

Alias Greed

Neo Member
If this rumor is true, I think Wada or Nomura or both, should just resign for Incompetence.

They should this game the first or second year? that the PS3 was announced and now its vaporware. That's amazing.

so can someone pinpoint to me what in the Versus trailer justified this extreme interest it has carried?

cause i saw nothing but guys who look to be trying to hard to be in cool poses and slight science fiction settings. nothing we didnt see from a ff title before, and in fact more subdued.

to this day i am still confused why some people were so excited for it. I somewhat think it has the attention is has because it came out during the time FF13 was announced as multiplatform and ps3 fanboys were clamoring that THIS WAS THE TRUE FINAL FANTASY 13! Uninhibited by the taint of the xbox 360. and so they rode that wave and heralded it as the next coming of JRPG christ.

please enlighten me.

Road

Finding out SE managed to ship over 3 million copies of XIII-2 is actually worse than Versus being canceled.

Muffdraul

Man, I really dodged a bullet here. Six years ago when they announced FFXIII and FFvsXIII, the only one I cared about was FFXIII. I dunno, I have some weird mental condition where I can only get excited about one FF at a time. I always figured that after FFXIII came and went, then I could get excited about FFvsXIII. But what ended up happening was that FFXIII pretty much broke me of my FF fandom once and for all. It was such a boner softener that I just never really got excited about FFvsXIII at all. Still, I knew I was going to pick it up on day 1 whenever it finally came out, and was open to the concept of maybe possibly enjoying playing it. Ah well.

Angry Fork

so can someone pinpoint to me what in the Versus trailer justified this extreme interest it has carried?

cause i saw nothing but guys who look to be trying to hard to be in cool poses and slight science fiction settings. nothing we didnt see from a ff title before, and in fact more subdued.

to this day i am still confused why some people were so excited for it. I somewhat think it has the attention is has because it came out during the time FF13 was announced as multiplatform and ps3 fanboys were clamoring that THIS WAS THE TRUE FINAL FANTASY 13! Uninhibited by the taint of the xbox 360. and so they rode that wave and heralded it as the next coming of JRPG christ.

please enlighten me.

Nomura edit - And team from older FF's particularly FF7/X
Kingdom Hearts gameplay
Has blood/violence/'darker' and supposed to be the first M rated FF game
Lots of amazing looking settings and visuals in the trailer
Will have airships and open world environments and towns compared to 13's more linear approach
It's the next huge big budget Final Fantasy game, it's hyped just as much as any other single entry for that reason.

Beth Cyra

please enlighten me.

It has a large part to do with the development staff on the game. Alot of the key creators are people who have done things that millions of people love, not only that but Nomura is trying to build on many concepts that have been dropped in recent FF such as Airships, World Maps and FF XII like areas that it really sounds amazing for people who were hoping for these things.

hope it's true just for the sweet sweet sonyfan tears

i mean, it's not like gaming itself provides much proper entertainment these days

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It takes a lot for me to say this about a game, it really does but...

... if this is true, let it die. Square lost all ability to manage AAA projects in the Japanese mommaship this generation. So much time, talent, and money wasted for six years. Just... wipe the board clean, reorganize into smaller teams, and find a new way forward.

zulux21

How to generate hits on your video game news site.

Step one: Pick out a game that hasn't shown off anything for a while.
Step two: Claim you have unnamed sources that have said that it is cancelled.
Step three: Contact their support and when they give you a generic response make a big deal about how they didn't tell you want you asked.
Step four: make sure to add a line to save face when it's proven you were lying about how you can't be sure if it was cancelled.
Step Five: profit.

this is what I am seeing here, just unnammed sources, and a support email that just said we can't tell you anything at this time. If this was posted on a few other sites (neogaf included) I might be inclined to believe it, but I can recall a number of times kotaku has run with stuff that hasn't been accurate so I am hard pressed to believe this is real news. If it turns out to be true it would be a bummer, but absolute worst case I can see with ffvs13 is that it gets rebranded to ff15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom