• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the reason for Sakaguchi's recent failures is he's not surrounded by the right people. A lot of his greatest successes - FF6-12 in particular - are about him imparting the right people with the right ideas to create great games. I can name major names he put into place on every major FF, but I can't name a single person other than Uematsu from the Mistwalker games; I think that says a lot.

It was Sakaguchi who...
  • Headhunted Matsuno and then gave him Minaba and Ito against all reason - putting the people who were arguably his two strongest staff on the untested spin-off, Tactics, leaving FF7 (theoretically) underpowered, but that let people who are now very major to FF step up and also resulted in the creation of Tactics.
  • Moved Ito/Kitase to Chrono Trigger immediately after FF6 rather than starting on FF7 right away
  • Gave Nomura his biggest break in FF7
  • Pulled Ito off FF8 and put him on FF9.
  • Put Kawazu in charge of FFCC - even if that series hasn't been massively successful, he's definitely the best fit for a Nintendo platform.
  • Suggested an MMO and put Tanaka in charge,
  • Put Matsuno and Ito back together for FF12

I think Sakaguchi hasn't been a particularly good game designer since the SNES era (I did love Lost Odyssey and felt Blue Dragon had incredible ideas, mind) but what he was good at in the PS1/PS2 era was taking people and putting the right people in the right places to make things happen, giving them just enough vague ideas to get them on their way.

He also did a lot of dumb shit, though - TSW stands out as one. Another that stands out is that Ito wanted FF9's battle system to be the fastest ever, but Sakaguchi had him slow it down because performance wasn't great but also because he felt, as a tribute to past FF, it should be slower as a nod to the non-ATB games. Bad decision! FF's history is littered with Sakaguchi decisions like this - But the concept of FF9's world, FF7's world - these things Sakaguchi did early, vaguely, are great.

tldr; Do I think Sakaguchi could help modern FF? Sure. Do I think he alone is the solution? Fuuuck no.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I agree with APZonerunner here. If you want to give praise to the great direction of the modern FF games (6-8) you should be thanking Kitase.

Kyoufu

It was Sakaguchi who...
  • Suggested an MMO and put Tanaka in charge,

I loved FFXI but I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Tanaka was a big reason why the FFXI community felt aggrieved with the state of the game in 2004/2005. His stubborn, anti-feedback approach to development saw him finally exit the company after the disastrous FFXIV.

I loved FFXI but I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Tanaka was a big reason why the FFXI community felt aggrieved with the state of the game in 2004/2005. His stubborn, anti-feedback approach to development saw him finally exit the company after the disastrous FFXIV.

Tell that to SE's board - FF11 is the most profitable game they've ever made. Tanaka had missteps, but got there in the end - and I think he was the best person they had at the time. The FF14 situation was pretty clearly quite different, a game rushed out so that Wada could tell the board they were launching 2 FFs in one year.

Are we getting any leanings toward this being likely true or likely false yet?

I really hope its not true. This is the first FF in a long time I was looking forward to.

I really hope its not true. This is the first FF in a long time I was looking forward to.

We're basically waiting at this point. I think if we don't get a comment in the next week it's going to be very interesting. As has been pointed out earlier, SE commented on a similar rumour about The Crystal Bearers confirming it wasn't dead within a week, and they also commented on the rumour staff had been pulled from Versus to 13.. so one would expect at least the Japanese branch to comment.

salromano

I've e-mailed them and asked their 1st Production Department on Twitter. Hopefully we'll get a response soon.

Edit: Hi, Alex!

Adding to what AP said, Square also commented on rumored release dates for a set of FFXIII-2 DLC.

Tell that to SE's board - FF11 is the most profitable game they've ever made. Tanaka had missteps, but got there in the end - and I think he was the best person they had at the time. The FF14 situation was pretty clearly quite different, a game rushed out so that Wada could tell the board they were launching 2 FFs in one year.
It also contributed to the decline in FF's popularity from the ps1 days. That also has value for a company, to have a franchise that's almost the symbol of gaming.

Angry Fork

People still think this is cancelled? Why would it be after so long and so much money? They would move it to PS4 before cancelling it imo.

Kyoufu

FFXIV was in development for years and years though. Hardly "rushed". Tanaka was a crazy man who tried to reinvent the wheel while ignoring the fans' plea for an auction house. His name is a running meme in the FFXIV community whenever a bad design decision is encountered. He is not as great as you think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFXIV was in development for years and years though. Hardly "rushed". Tanaka was a crazy man who tried to reinvent the wheel while ignoring the fans' plea for an auction house. His name is a running meme in the FFXIV community whenever a bad design decision is encountered. He is not as great as you think.

Realistically though how many of those years were spent working on Crystal Tools. XIV as it is now in an unoptimized mess so I imagine not that long.

DMB4237

Neo Member
It makes no sense.

Why would they cancel it? Would they just scrap the multi-million dollar assets they've developed and say "Screw it! We're starting over!" Sure a rename would make more sense, but the fact they are hyping a FF13 announcement makes it seem like they don't really care.

If they do cancel Versus, there is nothing in SE's Japan studios that excites me what-so-ever.

Kyoufu

Realistically though how many of those years were spent working on Crystal Tools. XIV as it is now in an unoptimized mess so I imagine not that long.

You make a valid point, but when your fans are giving you vital feedback during an alpha/beta test only to ignore them then there is a massive problem. Comparing Yoshida and Tanaka is like night and day. Of course, Wada is responsible for allowing that mess to see the light of day.

It makes no sense.

Why would they cancel it? Would they just scrap the multi-million dollar assets they've developed and say "Screw it! We're starting over!" Sure a rename would make more sense, but the fact they are hyping a FF13 announcement makes it seem like they don't really care.

If they do cancel Versus, there is nothing in SE's Japan studios that excites me what-so-ever.

I'd like to think Versus would be included as one of the announcements/reveals for that Sep 1st event since they haven't bothered to drop the XIII from its title.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know at some point it's worth considering that Square Enix's staff lacks the talent necessary to make today's console games.

I mean it's not exactly uncommon for both studios and developers to implode as tastes, hardware, and budgets change.

Very few people sit around expecting the next games from John Romero, David Perry, Peter Molyneux, Warren Spector, Rare, LucasArts, Lionhead, Soren Johnson, Atari, Interplay, or many other formerly great people/studios to be industry defining masterpieces or even especially good, but once upon a time all of them had work that was very highly regarded.

Perhaps Square Enix just isn't cut out for it anymore and should scale down to focus on what they can do well in the same way that Brian Fargo and Double Fine tried to get their careers back on track.

If people like Matsuno and Nomura can't finish products, Kitase/Toriyama can onlylaunch mixed reception games, and people like Ito and Kawasu are completely MIA, then there aren't many Square Co figureheads left to do things, and outside of FFXIV Square doesn't seem super hot on giving new people a shot on big budget products.

You know at some point it's worth considering that Square Enix's staff lacks the talent necessary to make today's console games.

I mean it's not exactly uncommon for both studios and developers to implode as tastes, hardware, and budgets change.

Very few people sit around expecting the next games from John Romero, David Perry, Peter Molyneux, Warren Spector, Rare, LucasArts, Lionhead, Soren Johnson, Atari, Interplay, or many other formerly great people/studios to be industry defining masterpieces or even especially good, but once upon a time all of them had work that was very highly regarded.

Perhaps Square Enix just isn't cut out for it anymore and should scale down to focus on what they can do well in the same way that Brian Fargo and Double Fine tried to get their careers back on track.

If People like Matsuno and Nomura can't finish products, Kitase/Toriyama can Only launch mixed reception games, and people like Ito and Kawasu are completely MIA, then there aren't many Square Co figureheads left to do things, and outside of FFXIV Square doesn't seem super hot on giving new people a shot on big budget products.

This very well might be the case. I've been growing to dislike their output ever since FFXI but Versus is the last shot for me. Given its scope and ambition, it feels like the only FF this gen that might end up feeling like a legitimate FF game. If they screw it up, then yea, SE can just be lumped up with the other hasbeens you mentioned.

Unless an Ito lead FFXV, KHIII, or FFVIIremake happen and live up to their potential but I'm not holding my breath.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Regardless of whether or not it still exists, I firmly believe they should rename it. Call it FF 15, or whatever number they're on now. It has no relevance to "13" anymore.

What if Final Fantasy XV was a sprite-based throwback to old-school RPGs? They could use VI as a template and modernize it as much as they can without sacrificing the old-school feeling. It would cost far less than big polygon-based games full of CG cutscenes. I'm sure making such a game and releasing it for PSN and XBLA for 15$ would sell a shitload of copies and would give them the time necessary to reassess where they are going with the franchise.

Regardless of whether or not it still exists, I firmly believe they should rename it. Call it FF 15, or whatever number they're on now. It has no relevance to "13" anymore.

I feel like we would be cheated out of a game. Given that the game does share the same universe and mythos with other FNC games, it just wouldn't feel right for it to be a standalone, mainline entry. Besides, didn't they comment on how part of the reason this is a spin-off is because it's supposed to be considerably darker than typical FF games? I'd hate for them to dial that back and lighten it up to make it "fit" with regular FFs. I'd rather it just be called FFVersus and have a brand new, fresh, separate concept for FFXV. (Which they surely have at least established a direction for, considering Ito's MIA status.)

What if Final Fantasy XV was a sprite-based throwback to old-school RPGs? They could use VI as a template and modernize it as much as they can without sacrificing the old-school feeling. It would cost far less than big polygon-based games full of CG cutscenes. I'm sure making such a game and releasing it for PSN and XBLA for 15$ would sell a shitload of copies and would give them the time necessary to reassess where they are going with the franchise.

I would actually LOVE a gorgeous, high-res, detailed, intricate, HD sprite based FF. I doubt it'll ever happen though because:

• It'd probably deemed like an artistic move that's far too risky. (Stupid. I know.)
  • I may be wrong here, but I remember reading about how making HD, detailed sprites is apparently more of an undertaking than making HD 3D games. I think it would depend on the quality of animation and how many frames they'd wanna use, but if it's gonna look good, it's probably gonna be tough...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Such an attempt would only sell to really old school fans and sales will probably be bad. I think a lot of people who buy FF games do look out a lot for its presentation and graphics. You strip those off and you'll lose many casual FF fans and those who came in during more modern FF games.

Grisby

I agree with this. I imagine the 'connections' with the FF13 universe will be very limited anyways like you say.

Kyoufu

I feel like we would be cheated out of a game. Given that the game does share the same universe and mythos with other FNC games, it just wouldn't feel right for it to be a standalone, mainline entry. Besides, didn't they comment on how part of the reason this is a spin-off is because it's supposed to be considerably darker than typical FF games? I'd hate for them to dial that back and lighten it up to make it "fit" with regular FFs. I'd rather it just be called FFVersus and have a brand new, fresh, separate concept for FFXV. (Which they surely have at least established a direction for, considering Ito's MIA status.)

I hope FFXV isn't another light-hearted anime. I'd like to see a "dark" theme, or a return to Ivalice for more political betrayal.

Such an attempt would only sell to really old school fans and sales will probably be bad. I think a lot of people who buy FF games do look out a lot for its presentation and graphics. You strip those off and you'll lose many casual FF fans and those who came in during more modern FF games.

I'm probably kinda biased here, but I think if they went with the bleeding-edge, HD gorgeous sprites with amazing art, it'll impress a good chunk of newer fans too.

Frankly I blame the industry as a whole. Since less games bother going the HD sprites route, too many people have the misconception that it's somehow "inferior."

I hope FFXV isn't another light-hearted anime. I'd like to see a "dark" theme, or a return to Ivalice for more political betrayal.

I wouldn't really mind a lighthearted entry if it's written well and is genuinely sincere as opposed to something that relies on shitty pandering without substance. Something like FFIX, X, or DQIX would be great. XIII-2 though, not so much. Another visit to Ivalice would also be amazing, provided we actually get a real story this time as opposed to a plot that just throws in the towel way, WAY before the game ends.

If people like Matsuno and Nomura can't finish products, Kitase/Toriyama can onlylaunch mixed reception games, and people like Ito and Kawasu are completely MIA, then there aren't many Square Co figureheads left to do things, and outside of FFXIV Square doesn't seem super hot on giving new people a shot on big budget products.
I think it's too early to call it that way. We have to see if they screwed themselves this generation by their lack of management/planning/execution/etc...If it happens next generation as well, then I think it is official.

Does anyone know how many copies Costume Quest sold? I think the sales were decent and the game was, for all intent and purposes, a Super Mario RPG look-a-like made by Double Fine. I believe that a Square-Enix-made throwback RPG, with enough modern hooks in it, would sell far more than CQ ever did. With the low-costs associated with such a game, at the very least the game would be profitable. And as I said, it would give them the time to reassess the state of the franchise, while maybe learning something in the process.

edit: I just thought of something obvious: with such a game, nothing is stopping Square from releasing the game on a shitload of platforms: iOS, Android, Steam, GoG, Mac, even fucking Ubuntu.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it's too early to call it that way. We have to see if they screwed themselves this generation by their lack of management/planning/execution/etc...If it happens next generation as well, then I think it is official.

Out of curiosity, at about what point next-gen do you think it would be appropriate to make that call?

I feel the end of it is kind of a long time given that between this gen and next gen, that's probably about the length of three older gens.

DaBuddaDa

I believe that a Square-Enix-made throwback RPG, with enough modern hooks in it, would sell far more than CQ ever did. With the low-costs associated with such a game, at the very least the game would be profitable. And as I said, it would give them the time to reassess the state of the franchise, while maybe learning something in the process.

That is what Final Fantasy: The 4 Warriors of Light was supposed to be (minus the old, sprite based art style). It hasn't worked out this way since the launch of X, but Final Fantasy used to be synonymous with groundbreaking presentation in every game, and Square still feels like that is an essential aspect of the Final Fantasy brand. Every main line game is going to try to push graphical boundaries, for better or worse.

If they aren't any people in Square Enix that can't substitute Kitase and Toriyama in the company (something I doubt) they could always look in other places and hire ppl.

There's nothing wrong in the technical side and they seem to have improved their development methods a bit. But the main problem with FF is the people that is helming the series right now.

I'm pretty sure that FF can be quite popular (not as much as before) with quality again.

If they aren't any people in Square Enix that can't substitute Kitase and Toriyama in the company (something I doubt) they could always look in other places and hire ppl.

There's nothing wrong in the technical side and they seem to have improved their development methods a bit. But the main problem with FF is the people that is helming the series right now.

I'm pretty sure that FF can be quite popular (not as much as before) with quality again.

I'm guessing seniority is a factor.

Out of curiosity, at about what point next-gen do you think it would be appropriate to make that call?

I feel the end of it is kind of a long time given that between this gen and next gen, that's probably about the length of three older gens.

I think it would depend on what their initial next-gen entries look-like plus what they reveal to be in the pipe-line following that in the not too distant future.

Kagari and I have been digging a bit. She's confident this is false, as you might gather from her posts. I'm not so sure, as people who have been good sources for me in the past are far less definitive than hers. Indeed, they seem as in the dark as the rest of us. You can take the fact neither of us have posted a story to mean we're not 100% confident either way, mind...

I think the age of the staff is becoming a problem; absolutely agreed on that. FF was always rotating in younger people and bumping those older up to higher roles; it feels like there hasn't been a significant cycling of staff for the best part of a decade now.

I don't know if I can name a specific thing that would need to happen, but if new consoles hit, and once again they are taking forever to release games, having engine problems, still can't narrow the gap between releases in all regions, etc... then I think it's fair to call it.

I'd say at least 2 years into the generation. Definitely not by the end, you're right about that. But it's important to give it some time to see whether it was a horrible aberration or their new reality.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm sure that by hiring the right people Perfect Dark could be a fantastic hit as well, but Rare seems to have no interest in doing this.

I don't think the question is "Could you make a huge console Final Fantasy game?", but rather "Are there any really solid signs that modern Square Enix is going to do this?"

I mean, we're sitting in a thread about Versus potentially being canceled while it seems that Final Fantasy XIII-3 is going to be announced at the beginning of September. The only other major Final Fantasy project known to be in development is the continuation of Final Fantasy XIV.

I would propose this doesn't paint the greatest, most hopeful picture of the future.

I don't know if I can name a specific thing that would need to happen, but if new consoles hit, and once again they are taking forever to release games, having engine problems, still can't narrow the gap between releases in all regions, etc... then I think it's fair to call it.

I'd say at least 2 years into the generation. Definitely not by the end, you're right about that. But it's important to give it some time to see whether it was a horrible aberration or their new reality.
I would say that's a fair timeline. Wada said they needed three years not that long ago, so might as well see if they can keep to their timeline.

DaBuddaDa

I think the age of the staff is becoming a problem; absolutely agreed on that. FF was always rotating in younger people and bumping those older up to higher roles; it feels like there hasn't been a significant cycling of staff for the best part of a decade now.

There has been a little of that recently, with Hajime Tabata being put on Type 0 and Naoki Yoshida taking over for the XIV team. It'll be very interesting to see who directs and produces XV.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Age is definitely becoming a factor. I was actually talking about this the other day in regards to Final Fantasy VII. So many of the staff on that game were fairly young - in their mid to late twenties and thirties.

Whereas now SE still relies on most of the same staff with very few young ones coming in to take the helm.

SkylineRKR

That is what Final Fantasy: The 4 Warriors of Light was supposed to be (minus the old, sprite based art style). It hasn't worked out this way since the launch of X, but Final Fantasy used to be synonymous with groundbreaking presentation in every game, and Square still feels like that is an essential aspect of the Final Fantasy brand. Every main line game is going to try to push graphical boundaries, for better or worse.

Dragon Quest can easily be moved to DS after appearing on Ps2, and no one complains. Its in a luxury position like that.

But for Final Fantasy this is different indeed. They are always a completely different experience, and usually pushing technology. FFXIII isn't the most advanced game out there, but its visually perhaps the best looking game Japan has developed.

The expectation of FFXV will be that its going to be another visual tour de force.

Except that this game is not a true FF game; it's a B-tier game. It was even released in episodic format. For an old-school FF game to succeed, it needs the care and attention it deserves in development. The 4 Warriors of Light doesn't even feel like a Square Enix game; it feels like a chinese knockoff. I fully believe that a fully-realized new old-school FF game with content on par with that of VI, released on as many digital platform as possible, with good marketing, would sell plenty. If the game is titled "Final Fantasy XV", every RPG fan will pay attention.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari and I have been digging a bit. She's confident this is false, as you might gather from her posts. I'm not so sure, as people who have been good sources for me in the past are far less definitive than hers. Indeed, they seem as in the dark as the rest of us. You can take the fact neither of us have posted a story to mean we're not 100% confident either way, mind...

Age is definitely becoming a factor. I was actually talking about this the other day in regards to Final Fantasy VII. So many of the staff on that game were fairly young - in their mid to late twenties and thirties.

Whereas now SE still relies on most of the same staff with very few young ones coming in to take the helm.
Even if they keep the same heads, having a large variety of people who are qualified to be heads can flush a lot of great ideas into a project.

I mean look at Assassin's Creed 3. That's not the result of three people sitting in a room.

I feel it would be a combination of things. If the next FF takes more than 2 years from the release of the hardware it runs on, has a similar reception to XIII and follows the slumped sales of the games this generation then I think you can call it, that SE can no longer deliver a competitive, cutting edge FF game.

SE have certainly acknowledged that they had problems this generation so I don't think they can plead ignorance anymore. The Luminous Engine thing also seems to be a genuine effort to avoid the White Engine/ Crystal Tools disaster of this gen, so the technical side seems to be on track, we'll see if the creative/production side can pick up the slack on their end.

dramatis

I mean even if they keep the same heads, having a large variety of people who are qualified to be heads can flush a lot of great ideas into a project.

I mean look at Assassin's Creed 3. That's not the result of three people sitting in a room.
Those people are probably all working at DeNA or GREE though.

I'm sure that by hiring the right people Perfect Dark could be a fantastic hit as well, but Rare seems to have no interest in doing this.

I don't think the question is "Could you make a huge console Final Fantasy game?", but rather "Are there any really solid signs that modern Square Enix is going to do this?"

I mean, we're sitting in a thread about Versus potentially being canceled while it seems that Final Fantasy XIII-3 is going to be announced at the beginning of September. The only other major Final Fantasy project known to be in development is the continuation of Final Fantasy XIV.

I would propose this doesn't paint the greatest, most hopeful picture of the future.

I think they're some signs. The new engine and how they basically created a new MMO in 2 years.

I'm not sure about other necesary steps, though. I think until sometime we won't know for sure if they did enough efforts.

That will only be viable when the franchise gets to be in the same state as Mega Man as a last resort. It's not quite there yet.

That will only be viable when the franchise gets to be in the same state as Mega Man as a last resort. It's not quite there yet.

Yeah. I don't like the reality of it, but I agree.

Funnily enough, I think it would really only take one amazing FF to restore goodwill again. If they pull Versus off and it ends up amazing, or dare I imagine another FFVII, SE would be set again. (Provided they don't revert back to being awful.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom