• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I was vaguely interested in this but since I never finished XIII and have pretty much lost interest in everything SE is pushing out these days, save (ironically) some titles of which they don't seem to have any intention of localizing (Type-0 and Bravely Default) I can't be bothered. Alarm bells were ringing whenever SE talked about trying to appeal to a western audience - the Japanese way of telling us they seppuku'ed their own game - and Versus XIII seemed like a prime candidate.

volpone

Banned
Not buying it. I am adamant that both this and The Last Guardian will one day be released if only to rationalise my purchase of a PS3 late last year.

Arxisz

Over 100000 hours in paint
esnQQ.gif

lol

PerZona

This is not the Versus related news that I want to read :(

To be honest it's one of my most anticipated game this gen, really hope it doesn't get canceled!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Versus begging would be finally over!
Let's face the truth gaf, it smelled vaporware since the beginning and 99% of games delayed for too much time are s**t.
So yes, i'm really happy, now square please kill everything related to ffxiii and make something new and good.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't Theatrhythm have one Final Fantasy Versus XIII dlc song? It wouldn't make any sense to release that kind of dlc if Versus gets cancelled.

Spinluck

Come on guys, lets be serious, after 6yrs deep down inside, we all knew this was happening.

Not sure what to think of SE now... "Hey, lets completely scrap Versus and make more FFXIII stuff, yaaayyyy!!".

Uthred

Its odd to see people losing their shit over something from a site as "reputable" as Kotaku, its a "Rumour" from a site renowned for its bullshit.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I honestly don't care if it's true. I'd much rather have Kingdom Hearts III.

Don't really understand how people can get so excited for a game by watching countless CG trailers and a little glimpse of not-so-hot gameplay, either.

Nibel

I honestly don't care.

Don't really understand how people can get so excited for a game by watching countless CG trailers and a little glimpse of not-so-hot gameplay, either.

Because the whole premise of a modern, darker Final Fantasy is pretty cool and everything from art design to music is incredible so far.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
TGS2012 BELIEVE CREW.

Anyway I'd be a little bummed but it's not like enough of the game has been shown to get me -too- excited over the years. I'd almost prefer a move away from the XIII name at this point.

Also if this news turns out to be false can Kotaku finally become a banned site

terrible news :(

And I just read Square will be showing a new FF13 project in September....ahhhh. I still think Square Enix will come back strong next gen though

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

And I just read Square will be showing a new FF13 project in September....ahhhh. I still think Square Enix will come back strong next year though
Square enix has been nothing but a disappointment for the past 6 years. I just don't see them making any sort of a comeback .

AB12

And I just read Square will be showing a new FF13 project in September....ahhhh. I still think Square Enix will come back strong next year though

Next year they are rereleasing XIV, we'll have to wait and see. And as long as people like Toriyama and Wada have a job at SE, don't expect any big changes.

Square enix has been nothing but a disappointment for the past 6 years. I just don't see them making any sort of a comeback .

Most of that has been due to technical reasons. With Luminous engine and Unreal engine 4 I think they will come back strong. It's obvious Crystal tools were a complete disaster for the company.

Best thing that could happen if Square and Enix just split up and focus on 1 game instead of 10 games and losing focus. Their Western assets could still be a joint venture of some sorts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Did we see anything from this game that didn't suggest it wasn't stuck in development hell?

I also thought the design was trite.

SkylineRKR

They are boasting with new their engine. Perhaps they are on time for next-gen like Capcom was with Framework for this one. And perhaps thats why S-E wants next-gen to hit home asap.

Although Square is disappointing, I do think TWEWY, BBS, Type 0 and Dissidia are great games. They do have some talent left.

Somehow this seems appropriate. Versus seemed like it could have been a good game, and I just can't see SE ever releasing a good game.

MrDaravon

I'm pretty dubious that this is true, but even if it IS true, I don't know how people can possibly be so upset about it, considering that 6 years after it's announcement we still barely know anything about the actual game.

dan2026

This game always felt like vaporware to me. Not really surprised that it might be gone.

Alas there are several other games that I feel might be missing in action as well.

Next year they are rereleasing XIV, we'll have to wait and see. And as long as people like Toriyama and Wada have a job at SE, don't expect any big changes.

Sorry I meant NEXT GEN, just woke up :p

Best thing that could happen if Square and Enix just split up and focus on 1 game instead of 10 games and losing focus. Their Western assets could still be a joint venture of some sorts.

no.....they need to secure more Japanese talent. Maybe they should buy Tri Ace and Level 5 ;)

Well every time there's a rumor about a game I'm interested in being cancelled it turns out to be true so you might as well write this one down as a fact.

oh wait ign already did lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom