• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku rumor: First screengrab of Kotaku making a fool of themselves again

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

fW1Ra.jpg

c70278fa.jpg

Why both difference (I mean there are 2 thing difference)?
I couldn't work out the reason of this. I can tell the first one is not on the second one because no frap and the heath bar is not the same, but rest of them are look really same.
Maybe screen stretch but the yellow closer to green on the 2nd picture than 1st one. Could be photoshop "frap.com" before sent to vita.

[Edit] Never mind I found the 3rd links. - make sense, Kotaku linked to Chinese decided rumour thread which have 3rd link is in OP.

Sianos

On this note we should never ban Kotaku, because watching their humbling antics are always amusing.

Next weeks big hit article:

What Kotaku can learn from IGN.

Why both difference (I mean there are 2 thing difference)?
I couldn't work out the reason of this. I can tell the first one is not on the second one because no frap and the heath bar is not the same, but rest of them are look really same.
Maybe screen stretch but the yellow closer to green on the 2nd picture than 1st one. Could be photoshop "frap.com" before sent to vita.

[Edit] Never mind I found the 3rd links. - make sense, Kotaku linked to Chinese decided rumour thread which have 3rd link is in OP.

Looks to me like they just took the first pic, photoshopped over the "www.fraps.com" and the part of the healthbar behind it, and slapped it on a Vita.

I wonder if Kotaku would be banned already if not for the fact that a lot of people here seem to go there. I remember in the last few threads about how much they suck, a few people defending them against being banned.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
fraps watermark and Chinese in the screenshots... yep definitely Monster Hunter for the Vita!

Oh come on the article says that it's just a rumor like 3 times! It's not like they are reporting this as news. Plenty of sites do this

Yeah like Capcom would put any effort into MHs visuals.

*sigh* One last time for this thread: It's not about "effort." Higher-quality assets come at a cost.

Can you give any factual reason - as opposed to your own (understandable) desire to see an MH with better visuals - why Capcom would have cause to expect that a higher-budget MH with even Soul Sacrifice-quality assets would be more profitable than the route they're actually going?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Okay so I don't blame Kotaku for that Versus rumor since its just a rumor but they probably should have caught this one before it went to press.

DR2K

Banned
*sigh* One last time for this thread: It's not about "effort." Higher-quality assets come at a cost.

Can you give any factual reason - as opposed to your own (understandable) desire to see an MH with better visuals - why Capcom would have cause to expect that a higher-budget MH with even Soul Sacrifice-quality assets would be more profitable than the route they're actually going?

There isn't one if they're looking to stay in Japan with MH, but they're going to need all the bells and whistles if they want to expand the series outside of it.

There isn't one if they're looking to stay in Japan with MH, but they're going to need all the bells and whistles if they want to expand the series outside of it.

Look at how Dragon's Dogma sold outside Japan. Why would MH - a series generally considered significantly more intimidating and less accessible than DD - sell vastly better than that if Capcom were to give it comparable production values?

I think Capcom seems to have drawn a reasonable conclusion: that the series will never be a million-seller outside Japan, and that they should focus their strategy for the franchise primarily on the region where it actually is enormously popular.

Takao

Banned
Look at how Dragon's Dogma sold outside Japan. Why would MH - a series generally considered significantly more intimidating and less accessible than DD - sell vastly better than that if Capcom were to give it comparable production values?

I'm fairly certain even the PSP MHs sold more outside of Japan than Dragon's Dogma has. I don't think that's a good comparison to bring up.

Anyone figured out what is this game? Cause I kinda wanna play it, MH ripoff or not, I'm dying for a Monster Hunter game that doesn't look for shit. Even frontier isn't very good. But I only tried the Korean version, I heard the Japanese one has updated graphics.

I'm fairly certain even the PSP MHs sold more outside of Japan than Dragon's Dogma has. I don't think that's a good comparison to bring up.

Well, I did say vastly better than DD, not just better. Selling on par with the PSP MHs or even MHTri in the West wouldn't be enough, in light of the considerably higher budget that many here want to see Capcom blow on the franchise.

Anyone figured out what is this game? Cause I kinda wanna play it, MH ripoff or not, I'm dying for a Monster Hunter game that doesn't look for shit. Even frontier isn't very good. But I only tried the Korean version, I heard the Japanese one has updated graphics.

I think its monster hunter frontier

Takao

Banned
Well, I did say vastly better than DD, not just better. Selling on par with the PSP MHs or even MHTri in the West wouldn't be enough, in light of the considerably higher budget that many here want to see Capcom blow on the franchise.

Capcom is a company that believes in the 3 Rs especially in regards to this franchise. Reduce the amount of work you need to do by Reusing assets in a form of Recycling content while providing something new. This means that not a single game has to hold burden to all the costs associated with a bigger budget. Capcom's eventually going to have to pull this series out of the dog days of SD development, and they might as well do it now so that they can cash in on shared costs with iOS/Android, PC, PS3/Wii U/360/Vita, and 3DS titles. As it stands now, their believe in SD development in this series hinders where it can go, and ultimately that will mean money left on the table.

Supposedly it's a Frontier knockoff by a Chinese company called Tencent.

Capcom's eventually going to have to pull this series out of the dog days of SD development

I would have to respectfully disagree there. I think most of the available evidence suggests that visuals simply aren't as important to Japanese gamers as they are in the West, and that PS2-ish graphics (if that) are "good enough" there for a large majority of franchises.

Takao

Banned
I would have to respectfully disagree there. I think most of the available evidence suggests that visuals simply aren't as important to Japanese gamers as they are in the West, and that PS2-ish graphics (if that) are "good enough" there for a large majority of franchises.

So once the 3DS dies of old age where does the franchise go from there to maintain this PS2 level visual style? I doubt even going to phones can mask how poor it'll look in 2018 or 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom