• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

I don't believe studio numbers reflect game quality; as others have mentioned, look at titles like Mark of the Ninja. I used it merely as a point of illustration. When it was mentioned by someone that 'Sony had a larger first party than Microsoft', I wanted to make a point that this a) depends on how you interpret what 'larger' means, and b) is not necessarily reflective of the quality of titles being produced (as shown with the Metacritic links).
I agree with your point and your goal was correct, but you shouldn't have started a list war. It "depends on how you interpret what 'larger' means" is enough as a reply to those people. Sony has the larger first party, because they have more employees. MS has the larger first party, because they have more studios etc.

It's all right and all wrong.

FordGTGuy

Banned
A lot of people forget that Microsoft didn't have choice but have a major first party push with Kinect. If they didn't do what they did Kinect would've bombed as hard as Move did.

Now that Kinect is established I think they are going to ease up a major amount on the 1st party Kinect games and let the 3rd party carry some of the load now.

iMax

I agree with your point and your goal was correct, but you shouldn't have started a list war. It "depends on how you interpret what 'larger' means" is enough as a reply to those people. Sony has the larger first party, because they have more employees. MS has the larger first party, because they have more studios etc.

It's all right and all wrong.

I didn't start a list war. I sourced my argument.

Respawn

Banned
There's some real BS brewing here. Why don't we show who has produced the better 1st party and new ip's this gen? Then you have a better outlook who will continue this into the next. You can count all the studios you want but that doesn't mean shit.

FordGTGuy

Banned
There's some real BS brewing here. Why don't we show who has produced the better 1st party and new ip's this gen? Then you have a better outlook who will continue this into the next. You can count all the studios you want but that doesn't mean shit.

A lot of Sony's new IPs didn't go very well this gen even more so towards the launch of the PS3, Lair and Haze come to mind.

Bottom-line is we have no idea what is going to happen and the past doesn't dictate the future.

StuBurns

Banned
I count digital titles, even if many here bizarrely don't.
So?

Sony have published none this year. Last year they published Datura, Journey, PixelJunk 4am and The Unfinished Swan. PixelJunk isn't a new IP, I would imagine the other three will never get sequels, and even if they did, three isn't in anyway a lot for PSN in a year.

So again, what are you talking about?

MaGlock

not to mention this basically still comes down to your preference. There is no clear cut answer to who has the best first party because everyone likes different games.

TheKayle

Banned
PS3 is a very weak system, it cannot handle mmo's. I played Dust 514 the other day, it was so bad....

i sold the ps3 some months ago ..waiting the next gen...so i cant try that game

i was just pointing that manpower dosnt mean pretty much nothing...

PD is more important than SOE for ps console with 1/6 of the employees

i sold the ps3 some months ago ..waiting the next gen...so i cant try that game

i was just pointing that manpower dosnt mean pretty much nothing...

PD is more important than SOE for ps console with 1/6 of the employees

Well they just released Planetside 2 on PC last year, it is one of the most epic and beautiful games you can play on PC.

SOE is separate from SCE though, SOE mainly works on PC development.

ps3 too weak
only ps2 can handle mmorpgs

(Wait, what, dude?)

Lack of ram...mmo's these days need lots of ram

SOE is probably the one thing that could hype me the most, I would love a console specific MMO with PS Home integration and everything.

I think PS Home is dead, Sony won't bother with it on PS4. But yea I am looking forward their games. Planetside 2 is pretty epic ;)

StuBurns

Banned
I'm surprised anyone thinks highly of 'manpower', as if Journey isn't great because it's a small team, or the thousand people who work all year round to shit out one awful Assassin's Creed game after another.

Quality and frequency are the only gauges that matter, and one of them is wholly subjective.

While this thread has taken an odd turn, it's really got me pumped to hear - finally - much more about what software MS has planned for the next console. It's pretty obvious they're gearing up. Let's see if they can entice me to think about spending my money with them instead of on a PS4.

THAT is what the console wars are about. Not head counts and Metacritic scores. Can't wait until the speculation ends and the games begin to come out...

I'm surprised anyone thinks highly of 'manpower', as if Journey isn't great because it's a small team, or the thousand people who work all year round to shit out one awful Assassin's Creed game after another.

Quality and frequency are the only gauges that matter, and one of them is wholly subjective.

Wasn't An Elysian Tale made by one guy?

TheKayle

Banned
Well they just released Planetside 2 on PC last year, it is one of the most epic and beautiful games you can play on PC.

SOE is separate from SCE though, SOE mainly works on PC development.

Lack of ram...mmo's these days need lots of ram

omg :D someone show a list with ps3/ps4 first party studios and relative employees

i read it and seen Soe 600+ employees

and i write back

manpower dosnt mean nothing + soe released more on pc than ps3.+ they developed just 3 games for ps3 internally the others r just published

is this so bad?!?!?!

So?

Sony have published none this year. Last year they published Datura, Journey, PixelJunk 4am and The Unfinished Swan. PixelJunk isn't a new IP, I would imagine the other three will never get sequels, and even if they did, three isn't in anyway a lot for PSN in a year.

I think he is solely talking about 2013. So far we have confirmed:

-TLOU
-Beyond
-Puppeteer
-Rain
-Until Dawn

Besides rain they are all retail titles and new IPs. They probably introduced even more in the first years of the PS3, but for the last big year of the PS3 5 new IPs isn't too shabby. It doesn't really matter if they are original or not. MS definitely released more in the first years than currently.

omg :D someone show a list with ps3/ps4 first party studios and relative employees

i read it and seen Soe 600+ employees

and i write back

manpower dosnt mean nothing + soe released more on pc than ps3.+ they developed just 3 games for ps3 internally the others r just published

is this so bad?!?!?!

SOE does a lot of things. Right now they are working on Planetside 2 PC, Planetside 2 PS4, Everquest Next, they developed the online infrastructure for PS3, they are probably making the infrastructure for PS4.

Yea they might have 600 employees, but not all of them are working on games.

So?

It's tricky to compare the output of download only titles if only because Sony allows self-publishing and MS doesn't. As a result, many of the "Microsoft Published" XBLA games are defacto self published titles that simply happen to have the MS name on them. In many cases those games end up on PC, or even PS3 and the developer retains IP ownership. That's obviously not true of things like Journey or Unfinished Swan. I'm generally of the opinion that Pub Fund games for Sony platforms are probably very comparable to the kind of deals many Indies get for their "Microsoft Published" XBLA title.

Ardenyal

There's nothing inherently wrong with the quality of Microsoft's first party output. At retail, recent games likes Gears Judgment, Forza Horizon, Dance Central 3 and Halo 4 are all perfectly decent games that did well both critically and commercially. On the XBLA front, games like Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Trials, Spelunky etc are also games that have been very successful.

I see two games here that are first party... That is not a whole lot.

StuBurns

Banned
I think he is solely talking about 2013. So far we have confirmed:

-TLOU
-Beyond
-Puppeteer
-Rain
-Until Dawn

Besides rain they are all retail titles and new IPs. They probably introduced even more in the first years of the PS3, but for the last big year of the PS3 5 new IPs isn't too shabby. It doesn't really matter if they are original or not. MS definitely released more in the first years than currently.
It's in no way 'shabby', but I don't think it's indicative of Sony not front loading next-gen with new IP too. They've only announced Drive Club and Knack so far, but I imagine they'll have more than a couple more to come.

Hindle

Banned
Launching new software at this point, when software sales are on the decline isn't good. MS know this which is why they're focussing on the next gen.

StuBurns

Banned
Launching new software at this point, when software sales are on the decline isn't good. MS know this which is why they're focussing on the next gen.
What do you mean? 'Next-gen' isn't far away at all. Launching new IP this summer on 360, versus this holiday on Xbox 3 doesn't seem like it'll make much difference in terms of where the market is at that time. Do you mean MS should hold all new IP until the market is on the rise, even if it means not supporting their new system?

Hindle

Banned
What do you mean? 'Next-gen' isn't far away at all. Launching new IP this summer on 360, versus this holiday on Xbox 3 doesn't seem like it'll make much difference in terms of where the market is at that time. Do you mean MS should hold all new IP until the market is on the rise, even if it means not supporting their new system?

They're about to launch a new console. Based off sales for games this year there is little interest in the current generation. So instead MS are going to focus everything on the new system and the years ahead, as that's more likely to reignite interest in games and software.

First party published games. Or are we discounting Sony's first party published games like Heavy Rain & Beyond Two Souls, Ratchet, Resistance, Journey etc that people have been including in this very thread when discussing PS3 first party games.

I'll stop here though because it I'm rising to your pedant and it could verge on list wars.

The only issue with this statement is that if Microsoft funded the game, and the creators didn't buy back rights to the franchise, the games are 1st-party even if the studios that made them aren't.

Gears Judgment = Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 3rd-party studio

Forza Horizon - Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 1st-party studio

Halo 4 - Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 1st-party studio

Fez - 3rd-party IP that Microsoft bought timed-exclusive rights for

Mark of the Ninja - Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 3rd-party studio

Trials - Microsoft co-funded 1st-party IP made in partnership with Ubisoft

Spelunkey - 3rd-party IP

StuBurns

Banned
They're about to launch a new console. Based off sales for games this year there is little interest in the current generation. So instead MS are going to focus everything on the new system and the years ahead, as that's more likely to reignite interest in games and software.
Doesn't the market indifference to the WiiU suggest the lackluster sales are not current-gen fatigue, and is actually just console fatigue?

EDIT: MS doesn't own the Gears IP, I doubt a couple of the others too, but I can't be bothered to research them.

Wynnebeck

Banned

So you are saying MS basically screwed their current customers over in terms of new IP for the past few years because they are 'focusing' on next-gen? Even when we still have games like CoD outselling the previous iteration every year? Tell me you aren't serious.

The only issue with this statement is that if Microsoft funded the game, and the creators didn't buy back rights to the franchise, the games are 1st-party even if the studios that made them aren't.

Gears Judgment = Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 3rd-party studio

Forza Horizon - Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 1st-party studio

Halo 4 - Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 1st-party studio

Fez - 3rd-party IP that Microsoft bought timed-exclusive rights for

Mark of the Ninja - Microsoft-funded 1st-party IP made by 3rd-party studio

Trials - Microsoft co-funded 1st-party IP made in partnership with Ubisoft

Spelunkey - 3rd-party IP

And a little 6 million + selling game called Minecraft that they paid to have a special version made for them that every other console/handheld wishes it had.

Hindle

Banned
So you are saying MS basically screwed their current customers over in terms of new IP for the past few years because they are 'focusing' on next-gen? Even when we still have games like CoD outselling the previous iteration every year? Tell me you aren't serious.

Every publisher screwed us over in terms of new IP over the last few years. Aside from Dishonored there has been nothing as its just not viable at this stage. TLOU is Sonys first new IP since 2010 isn't it?

Every publisher is aiming for next gen with thier new software and IP at this moment as its there that gaming can start to climb again.

Edit. MS will reveal thier Winter line up on the May 21st. Who's to say there won't be new IP there?

Every publisher screwed us over in terms of new IP over the last few years. Aside from Dishonored there has been nothing as its just not viable at this stage. TLOU is Sonys first new IP since 2010 isn't it?

Starhawk. Marketed so poorly that the developer had to massively downsize, abandon their relationship with Sony etc.

Top Bottom