• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Sony will charge for PSWorld and online play, I think.

If Xbox Gold gets you:

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

and PSWorld gets you

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features
- Streaming games from PS1/PS2/PS3 catalogue

You WILL NOT MIND playing a fee. That's how they'll get us.

Hana-Bi

If Xbox Gold gets you:

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

and PSWorld gets you

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

I would love if Sony don't include PS+ into PSWorld. Don't want to pay for apps and services I never use...

Cartman86

Banned
I don't.

I don't to payfor infrastructue for a simple reason: if the the game has an online feature, the cost of maintaining the said infrastructure should be included in the price of the game. so either the publisher pays it before, or a part of the game priceis sent back to the console manufacturer or whatever they decide.

If I pbuy a game that has an online mode, I want to be able to play it, not paying again for what I already bought.

I have an honest question that I'm not sure I know the answer to. In the long run would you pay more if every game you purchased that contained an online component was more expensive to cover that feature? Does $60 (depending on deals too I guess) a year end up being cheaper?

If Xbox Gold gets you:

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

and PSWorld gets you

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

They really can't charge for apps this time can they? No one else does that. Not even Microsoft on Windows 8. If they are going to have a real app store and want it to thrive can they do this? Am I completely ignorant of this?

Forkball

If Xbox Gold gets you:

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

and PSWorld gets you

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

There are people in this thread who WANT to pay, just because. Microsoft's paid online serves pushed the completely false notion to the public that "well you pay for it, so it must be better!" I can't believe people are this susceptible to this. They might as well just walk up to Sony HQ and bend over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good thing Planetside 2 is launching with the PS4. The price is hard to swallow.

MYE

If Xbox Gold gets you:

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

and PSWorld gets you

- Online play
- Apps and Services
- More OS features

I WILL NEVER pay a fee for online. Fuck that shit

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Controller looks great. The sticks are further apart which is great news. Looks a bit larger and rounded (More ergonomic) the triggers look a bit too soft though which is a shame. /might just be the angle of the pic.

rdrr gnr

What would they do with F2P games? Just not charge you yet still take your money? If you are a third-party releasing on Sony's platform with a F2P game, who is paying for what? What happens if you are releasing a 1st party title with multiplayer behind a paywall and a competitor is putting out a F2P title?

flattie

I don't mind paying a sub providing it is for a plus style service. Who knows it may also include unlimited access to a backwards compatible streaming service.

Won't be happy if basic features are hidden behind a pay wall ala live though.

Thank Microsoft and their paywall strategy. Nintendo probably feels foolish with their Wii U free to play solution.

Almost every gamer I've talked to expected the PS4 to have paid online.

So in other words... "Look what you made me do". If Sony charge again for online play like they did with the PS2 in Japan it is on them and them only.

Liamario

Banned
It's disheartening to see people react to information that's incomplete and unconfirmed.

It's extremely unlikely that Sony has decided on a price and I find the 529 figure very dubious. People expected the vita price to be much higher and the price came in at a very reasonable figure.

We don't know what playstation world even is and that's assuming its a real thing. We don't know what you would get for your sub or what you won't get. Have some bloody patience and wait and see before you start having tantrums.

Assuming the worst, those of you who aren't willing to pay to play online; are you going to pay for Xbox live instead or are you just not going to play console multiplayer? Unless you own a decent PC; you're going to be paying to play online in this scenario- so stop kidding yourself.

Alcander

My guess is they will pull an Apple and drop any numeric identifier and just call it the "playstation". We'll see. I don't necessarily think thats a good move (see: wii u), but I could see it happening.

Liamario

Banned
Controller looks great. The sticks are further apart which is great news. Looks a bit larger and rounded (More ergonomic) the triggers look a bit too soft though which is a shame. /might just be the angle of the pic.
The triggers do look disappointing. Keep in mind that it is just a prototype and its possible that the triggers will have much lower resistance that DS3, making them much better than they look.

Alcander

Also, I wish people would knock it off with the faux-outrage towards kotaku for posting a rumor. This seriously happens in every industry. Rumors from concealed sources. Yes they often end up being wrong, but also are fun and enjoyable to hypothesize about. Seriously, we are in this hobby because we (hopefully) enjoy it, and who doesn't love reading about new rumors about the future? Admit it :)

Flatline

Banned
Yep. That's like blaming Nintendo for Kinect and Move. That was MS and Sony's decisions to make that garbage.

I do partly blame Nintendo for Kinect and Move just like I partly blame Microsoft's shitty tactics for this. Of course I'll be pissed off at Sony the most for following Microsoft's horrible example.

And btw, yes guys, some of us will NOT pay for P2P online no matter what. Some of us aren't suckers.

The Lamp

Paid online service? The only reason I'm giving Sony any room for benefit of the doubt is because PS+ is pretty great, but if it's anything like the extortion that is XBL services, count me the hell out of that.

Spongebob

Banned
My guess is they will pull an Apple and drop any numeric identifier and just call it the "playstation". We'll see. I don't necessarily think thats a good move (see: wii u), but I could see it happening.
That will only create consumer confusion.

They should just call it the PS4.

Duxxy3

edit: wrong quote

Aside from stat tracking and match making there isn't much infrastructure needed. The games aren't hosted on a server, the players provide the host connection. There is no reason to charge players for a service that is provided by other players.

Wasp14

If Sony does charge for online I suspect they'll still provide a free basic service (similar to what's available now) and then have crosschat, PS+ features and whatever else they come up with for the fee. I'll definitely hold out for a year or two and major price drops before jumping in if that happens to be the case.

Everything about this news is still speculation, so it's best to wait for definitive proof (if it comes) later today.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So in other words... "Look what you made me do". If Sony charge again for online play like they did with the PS2 in Japan it is on them and them only.
Beyond it being an utterly lame excuse, I just don't buy that MS has bought this much leverage on this issue. They still stand quite alone in their approach to P2P online gaming.

I don't believe Sony will charge for online play, but I can understand why they might feel the need to, if they are indeed considering it.

I feel Plus was an attempt by them to try and recoup the money they poured into their online infrastructure and it's a gamble that may not have paid off, so they feel they don't have any other choice but to implement a paywall to online play.

This is realistically the only legitimate reason I can see for them dropping the key bullet point of free online play in the battle against Microsoft.

It's not as simple as "Microsoft are doing, so why don't we too", as much as people would like to believe this, I feel they've been forced into this position, if they are indeed planning to implement an online play paywall.

Online infrastructures cost money, a lot of it, and Sony can't continue to absorb the costs as they have been doing without something giving way.

I hope whatever the program is that it's not in addition to PSN+, because I'm a member of that until July 2014. Would be nice to not have to pay more on top of that.

I hope whatever the program is that it's not in addition to PSN+, because I'm a member of that until July 2014. Would be nice to not have to pay more on top of that.

I can see a situation where it is included with Plus, but will mean that Plus as a whole starts to suffer somewhat. We'll see get great games every month, but we won't get as many nor will we get many, if any, release day free games.

In fact, this may have been Sony's strategy from the beginning. Introduce a paywall through Plus and then add additional features like online play and possibly Gaikai streaming at a later date.

Lost or LOST?

7lnxF.gif

Hey, this gif looks Kaz-compatible

madmackem

Id be surprised if sony didnt have a premium service, plus was an attempt to claw back some money. Running a service isnt free, yeah its p2p but the whole infrastructure cost money to setup and maintain.

Duffyside

Banned
People wouldn't really care if the online-paid stuff were just additional features that come with the PS4, and not things already available, right? Like... if we got online play, messaging, Netflix, blahblaheverything we already have still, but they charged for the share feature, the livestreaming, and whatever else "new" they bring, that wouldn't be a big deal, would it?

tzare

If Sony does charge for online I suspect they'll still provide a free basic service (similar to what's available now) and then have crosschat, PS+ features and whatever else they come up with for the fee. I'll definitely hold out for a year or two and major price drops before jumping in if that happens to be the case.

Everything about this news is still speculation, so it's best to wait for definitive proof (if it comes) later today.

it makes no sense at all, because i could cross chat for free with my vita while playing online on Orbis without neededng to pay the rumoured fee some pretend sony will charge,
C'mon, even the rumor says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use, not all, and obviously this is already happening now with psn+ while p2p gaming is free and cross chat is free on vita.

The tard pack is referring the 360 arcade. You are talking about a system with no hard drive nor internal storage versus one that has. The PS3 and WiiU never had this issue. The only difference between and premium sku and a non premium sku may just be the difference in the amount of internal storage, and maybe a pack in game/peripheral.

Yeah, the original core 360 SKU literally required a $40 64MB Memory Card to even be usable. Attempts to brand the 20GB launch PS3 as another "tard pack" were fairly desperate, considering it had more included features than the Pro version of the 360 did at the time (blu-ray, hdmi) and no deficits by comparison.

They'll build upon Playstation Plus. It was one of their best moments this generation. It's a truly great service. This comes down to pricing, really. I fully expect Live to go up in price yet again when this new generation starts, for example.

Top Bottom