• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: The Xbox 3's Code Name Is "Durango" [Crytek: Durango Meeting In London]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to have a discussion when folks don't understand concepts. Basically, nothing you wrote has any relevance to my posts. Also, look up MS statements on forward compatability. Then pick up a competitive strategy book and a marketing strategy book. Then realize how misinformed your comments are. A tremendous early adopter market exists for all of those games that you mentioned played at 1080 P with enhanced image quality on a $399/$499 console. Online isn't relevant, and even if it was there are multiple ways of handling any issues.

Again, up scaling and adding AA is not "forward compatibility" it's backwards. 360 up scales games to 1080p, also by the way. Forward compatibility means there are features locked away unless you play on the more powerful system.

The masses are not buying a new system for backwards compatibility. If they did, PS3 would be the best selling system ever since everyone on fucking earth had a PS2. Instead, PS3 had a pretty not great first year. People didn't flock to the 360 in mass until a year in when Gears came out. Why? Because it was a whole new amazing looking experience only available on a next gen system. Only the truly hardcore would buy a system just for BC.

Show any proof that people will buy a new system to play old games in the history of video games. Good luck.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's so superfluous, too. Not like you can gleam much from a codename.
Hence why people are shaking their heads at the rumour. I am too.

But, this. Even if it's just a name it was still under NDA.
Hope he lands on his feet elsewhere.

It sucks, but he did a lot more than reveal the codename. The fact that this meeting is even happening gives credence to every other rumor out there and heavily implies that 2013 is the launch target. If MS's competitors had believed they were safe working for a 2014 launch, they're going to do everything they can to accelerate development for 2013 in light of this, and MS's chance to get the jump on the competition. That's tens or hundreds of millions potentially lost there.

StevieP

Banned
Nah, he's an adult and a professional. He should have known better.

Thing is, most of his twitter friends were, you know, not the public lol.

They were fellow developers from what I recall reading. So you can see the innocence in his intentions in that regard. But - his tweets were public and not protected, which would land anyone in hot water.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leaks can damage hype and sales by extension... It also gives competition an idea so they can alter their plans and modify to make them look better

A hardware console is a massive and very expensive platform which (from Microsofts perspective) is becoming a central pillar to the entertainment industry.

You do -not- want to mess around these days with any of the 3 companies due to uncertainty, thinning margins, and whatnot

And there's a difference between a rumor and outright confirmation of a rumor- by contrast anonymous rumors are less damaging and can serve as market analyzation. The most important part is easy deniability.

In cryteks case they are working with MS on Ryse which is HUGE for them... Having a potential launch title could pay huge dividends for them... And they have a middleware they sell to other developers

If they lose faith in hardware platform holders, they could lose the ability to a) have potential first party publishing with anyone in the future and b) denied any access to unreleased hardware making their engines a much tougher sell

I say... It was a well deserved canning if it so happened

Dipswitch

Nah, he's an adult and a professional. He should have known better.

Exactly. I'd hate to have to go home and tell my family I'm out of a job because I couldn't resist tweeting about something I knew I shouldn't be talking about. Hope he lands on his feet regardless.

Prime example of why the rumor mill is abnormally quiet this go around.

-SD-

Banned
If he truly was let go, it really hurts me from the inside. I sort of feel like I helped someone get fired :(

But, how could I've known that he was under NDA? I remember reading about Durango on GAF some time ago and decided to check if Twitter had anything about it. Did a search and happened to find a very recent tweet that was done by a Crytek dev and connected the dots. I just thought, if he tweeted about it, it must be one of those closed events that we'd read articles about on gaming sites later on and he was just teasing about it.

I now wish I'd never seen the tweet.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There is one positive in all of this too- considering not much was leaked in direct connection to Durango code name, basically every rumor from this point on connected with Durango severely limits the believability of them. Thankfully there wasnt spec sheets or anything pertaining to exact hardware or features.

StevieP

Banned
I hope you're happy... you monster.

250px-P2_glados.jpg

If he truly was let go, it really hurts me from the inside. I sort of feel like I helped someone get fired :(

But, how could I've known that he was under NDA? I remember reading about Durango on GAF some time ago and decided to check if Twitter had anything about it. Did a search and happened to find a very recent tweet that was done by a Crytek dev and connected the dots. I just thought, if he tweeted about it, it must be one of those closed events that we'd read articles about on gaming sites later on and he was just teasing about it.

I now wish I'd never seen the tweet.

Let's wait until this gets confirmed before you beat yourself up over it.

Punishment probably does come into play but part of what gets him fired is likely that his bosses can no longer trust him to keep his mouth shut and not make another mistake like this in the future.

StevieP

Banned
Let's wait until this gets confirmed before you beat yourself up over it.

Still a rumour. A rumour with a reliable source, but still a rumour.
And don't beat yourself up with it, regardless. If you didn't pick up the tweet someone else probably would've. Kotaku reported on it as well.

They were fellow developers from what I recall reading. So you can see the innocence in his intentions in that regard. But - his tweets were public and not protected, which would land anyone in hot water.

Guy who works at software development company doesn't understand how Twitter works?

elcranky

Banned
Again, up scaling and adding AA is not "forward compatibility" it's backwards. 360 up scales games to 1080p, also by the way. Forward compatibility means there are features locked away unless you play on the more powerful system.

The masses are not buying a new system for backwards compatibility. If they did, PS3 would be the best selling system ever since everyone on fucking earth had a PS2. Instead, PS3 had a pretty not great first year. People didn't flock to the 360 in mass until a year in when Gears came out. Why? Because it was a whole new amazing looking experience only available on a next gen system. Only the truly hardcore would buy a system just for BC.

Show any proof that people will buy a new system to play old games in the history of video games. Good luck.

And I repeat, MS loves customer segmentation, and there is a huge market that has been dying for the next console for years now. By the fall the next xbox will be 2 years "over due." There is no meaningful benefit to waiting until 2013. In particular no new die shrink will be ready for mass production by then.

You obviously don't understand the forward compatability. The 720 version of those games can run better with higher resolution and IQ. They may or may not have gameplay altering features. That is up to the developer.

Massa

Guy who works at software development company doesn't understand how Twitter works?

The guy probably didn't know someone else had already leaked what Durango is. Without that leak his tweet would have been harmless and only meant something to the people that should know about it anyway, and those are the people he tweeted that to.

Still a rumour. A rumour with a reliable source, but still a rumour.
And don't beat yourself up with it, regardless. If you didn't pick up the tweet someone else probably would've. Kotaku reported on it as well.

What's the reliable source? That Beyond3D forum?

Saty

Too severe of a punishment, if true. It's not if as he gave something away, and it's not like his tweet was: 'Check it out: Next MS console is codenamed Durango. lol NDA'.
He was just saying he's in some event and he slipped the Durango name in the sentence, probably because he's used to call it that and use the name in a daily basis. He probably pressed Enter before realizing he was being to specific. And to be axed just because he used the name? Way overboard. And we wouldn't be linking this with Next Box it weren't for the original Kotaku rumor.

KageMaru

What's the reliable source? That Beyond3D forum?

The one who mentioned it at B3D works for MS, so take it how you will.

Too severe of a punishment, if true. It's not if as he gave something away, and it's not like his tweet was: 'Check it out: Next MS console is codenamed Durango. lol NDA'.

NDA is NDA, everyone in the industry knows the risks in breaking them. Just by him mentioning the Durango name, that automatically turns from rumor to fact. You don't want any info about your next system to surface before you're ready, even if it's a vague codename.

And I repeat, MS loves customer segmentation, and there is a huge market that has been dying for the next console for years now. By the fall the next xbox will be 2 years "over due." There is no meaningful benefit to waiting until 2013. In particular no new die shrink will be ready for mass production by then.

You obviously don't understand the forward compatability. The 720 version of those games can run better with higher resolution and IQ. They may or may not have gameplay altering features. That is up to the developer.

You're throwing out your opinions as proof. In your opinion there is a huge market that is ready for a new generation, even though there are a good number of people here among us "hardcore" who say they're not. You say there's a huge audience that will pay for new systems to play old games in a better way, even though there is zero proof of this since there has never been a forward compatible system or proof that the masses give a fuck about backwards compatibility at all. You don't see a point in waiting until 2013, like that means shit when you have no idea where MS or game developers are as far as next gen, so here you are at best basing your opinion on rumors.

The good news is that you're guessing as much as the rest of us, so you could be right and we'll see a new Xbox release this year. Come e3, one of us can rub it in the others face about how obviously wrong they were.

Saty

NDA is NDA, everyone in the industry knows the risks in breaking them. Just by him mentioning the Durango name, that automatically turns from rumor to fact. You don't want any info about your next system to surface before you're ready, even if it's a vague codename.
*shrugs* Still too harsh for just a codename that still needed another separate indication in order to make of it something. I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if the general gaming public haven't heard of Durango before.

KageMaru

*shrugs* Still too harsh for just a codename that still needed another separate indication in order to make of it something. I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if the general gaming public haven't heard of Durango before.

I bet he would have still been fired. He would be leaking a codename, that's just as bad.

Pretty much.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the guy but he made a mistake. A big one and sometimes there are big consequences.

OP should not be beating himself up though. You didn't make the tweet or leak his tweet that was set to private. It was in the public domain.

elcranky

Banned
You're throwing out your opinions as proof. In your opinion there is a huge market that is ready for a new generation, even though there are a good number of people here among us "hardcore" who say they're not. You say there's a huge audience that will pay for new systems to play old games in a better way, even though there is zero proof of this since there has never been a forward compatible system or proof that the masses give a fuck about backwards compatibility at all. You don't see a point in waiting until 2013, like that means shit when you have no idea where MS or game developers are as far as next gen, so here you are at best basing your opinion on rumors.

The good news is that you're guessing as much as the rest of us, so you could be right and we'll see a new Xbox release this year. Come e3, one of us can rub it in the others face about how obviously wrong they were.

You are confused again. I never said MS would do anything. I stated what the publically available facts indicate as optimal strategy. Of course those are my opinions, however, when it comes to strategy my opinion is highly likely to be right.

You are confused again. I never said MS would do anything. I stated what the publically available facts indicate as optimal strategy. Of course those are my opinions, however, when it comes to strategy my opinion is highly likely to be right.

Haha, what? Are you saying you weren't arguing that MS would release the next Xbox this year? What the fuck have you been attempting to argue? That they should?

Halo 4 will ship in sept for 360 and likely as a launch title in Nov or next march.

As I said in my previous post, you gave yourself an out after your first post which pretty well called me a dumb ass for thinking the signs point to a 2013 release.

The one who mentioned it at B3D works for MS, so take it how you will.

Oh shit.

But if your going to break an NDA then surely you would post the info with some new account you made or as an anonymous source.

But then I guess you would loose credibility?

itsgreen

But if your going to break an NDA then surely you would post the info with some new account you made or as an anonymous source.

But then I guess you would loose credibility?

If your purposely break NDA's you are a stupid fuck.

He made a honest mistake, but he should have known better. You don't have to be a genius to know it isn't wise to tweet about an unannounced product.

There are hefty penalties attached to NDA's, let's be honest: he should be lucky if he is only fired.

nasos_333

On another note, Fable Heroes was also accidentally leaked, from Gamasutra

Though they erased the leak now, but i bet they were under NDA too

That name conjures up an image of a multiplayer-focused, Fable-flavored hack 'n slash. Given Lionhead's previous XBLA mini-game collections, or demo tie-in, maybe those characters will carry over to or otherwise interact with Fable 4 or the F:TJ Kinect game.

nasos_333

Oh gotcha, never even heard about before.

It was just leaked from Gamasutra and i suppose will be reveal Monday when the timer in Lionhead site ends

I cant say i am super eixted that is not Fable 4, but it did not make sense to announce a xbox 720 game before 720 is announced iteself i guess :)

The DX11, unreal engine related job post from Lionhead is a Fable 4 on 720 indication though and that is not even a leak :)

Hiltz

This probably isn't any big news, but I came back from a family event a few hours ago and met a distant relative whom I rarely see and we talked briefly. The guy remembered that I'm into video games and flat out told me that he's involved with working on some component (didn't say what kind) for the Xbox 360's successor. I'm not familiar with the company or what exactly they do, but it's called Tensilica. He told me that they started to work on the component back in November 2011. The guy does a lot of traveling and told me he has an upcoming meeting in Japan. However, I don't know if that has anything to do with that specific component he's involved with.

shira

This probably isn't any big news, but I came back from a family event a few hours ago and met a distant relative whom I rarely see and we talked briefly. The guy remembered that I'm into video games and flat out told me that he's involved with working on some component (didn't say what kind) for the Xbox 360's successor. I'm not familiar with the company or what exactly they do, but it's called Tensilica. He told me that they started to work on the component back in November 2011. The guy does a lot of traveling and told me he has an upcoming meeting in Japan. However, I don't know if that has anything to do with that specific component he's involved with.
Maybe its like:
Xbox 1 --> X360

Kintect 1 --> 10Silica

http://www.tensilica.com/

looks like they do chip design.

If you are really trying to say that this guy couldn't understand that his post would be available to all eyes, then this guy would have gotten fired for some other incompetence down the road.

Likely, he's technically "savvy" enough to know how twitter works, and thought it would be cool and not harmful to break this news. Unfortunately, he didn't think it through enough.

Dabanton

Lol how many people are going to this meeting? If it's a handful it could make it very obvious who has loose lips. If your relative is under an NDA for the other stuff he could be screwed if a website picks up that bit of gossip and more 'lessons' have to taught.

Lets not get anyone else potentially fired gents.

Wait, who was fired and what for? For leaking the Durango name? If so then that's pretty lame since there is no chance that Durango will be the actual name of the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom