• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Superannuation: The Elder Scrolls Online has cost $200 million

I wonder if this will be the last high profile MMO underperformance or if anyone is actually still taking 5 years to build one of these things.

It looks nothing like WoW, and the animations are incredible for an MMORPG.

Hmm...

Didn't you guys saw this last trailer? Watch how bad it is..i mean with that tight NDA they cover it up like it's a good game...ahum.

Shogun1337, would you be so kind and point me to a video that doesn't display animations that give me a throwback to games like.. I dunno, Gothic 1 and 2?

Really, this is amazing animation for an MMORPG?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The issue is they don´t need Skyrim numbers. They need 500k-1 million subscribers. Do you think TES can´t pull that off. Besides if the boxes sell million they will recoup their money. Besides my issue here is that people rushing to calling it a bomba.

How do you recoup $200m by selling 1m x $60? That's $60m at best, and Zenimax won't be seeing all of that money. Not even half of what they spent on the game. It would have to have the most explosive launch in MMORPG history to recoup off box sales alone. It will not have this because it is a bad game with zero hype and bad word of mouth (justifiably).

500k subscribers is a pipe dream. It's going to bomb because it's awful. This will go down as one of the most poorly managed MMORPG projects in history, and that's pretty impressive, because almost all MMORPG projects are poorly managed money sinkholes.

mfaex

ibhAPOBGvAUkwD.jpg

u7GvtOC.jpg

For how long?

Also I don't think people realize that if you spend 200 million dollars on something your ultimate goal is not to just make that money back. You want a huge revenue stream. Otherwise the opportunity cost blown on this game is much higher than 200 million dollars.

Any MMO investment is long term. And from over a decade of MMOs, no company can be stupid enough to expect to be rolling in the money right away.

Minion101

Banned
the fuck? this is a Curt Schilling-esque misuse of money.

200 million seems about right for an MMO. The decision to make this game was made at least 5 years ago when it was believed making an MMO was highly profitable. Most people don't know blizzard almost sank the company making WoW.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
200 million seems about right for an MMO. The decision to make this game was made at least 5 years ago when it was believed making an MMO was highly profitable. Most people don't know blizzard almost sank the company making WoW.

Evidence of this?

Star Wars by Bioware failed. This will fail too.

At least TOR had some amazing trailers (still the best thing to come out of the game), and the class stories were pretty good, with some great voice acting (although the non-class content was too repetitive). ESO doesn't even have anything like this.

Did no one learn from every other WoW-killer?

FTFY

Shit's changed, mang.

Evidence of this?

Vivendi was not in the best of financial status in 2004, and WoW came out early yet miraculously good under those conditions. And WoW has always been expensively lush.

Find podcasts and interviews with the guys and gals who worked on WoW during its alpha/beta about those times. They're fascinating.

Mandoric

Banned
I wonder if this will be the last high profile MMO underperformance or if anyone is actually still taking 5 years to build one of these things.

Titan's been brewing for nearly as long, got completely rebooted recently, and will be widely considered a failure if it doesn't launch to 10m or so subs. We can also probably expect an FF17 to launch before people are really done with FF14 and struggle at first even if it's good.

does anyone have any info on the Wildstar budget? I saw on the wikipedia page the other day that it's been in development since 2005.

the money, the budgeting, the planning- all the changes in gaming & computing over that time. just thinking about mmo development scares me half to death.

It's huge, but it doesn't necessarily have to be AS huge as five-eight years worth of AAA titles. A lot of design, writing, balance, and quest work can be done with a skeleton staff, and then fleshed out when it goes into crunch.

However, things like English-language voice (TOR) or building on one engine/scrapping/redoing (FF14 as a whole, TESO) complicate things a lot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cliff Bleszinski on the pointless podcast. Never googled it though, figured it wasn't something that you could fact check.

Find podcasts and interviews with the guys and gals who worked on WoW during its alpha/beta about those times. They're fascinating.

Cliff Bleszinski and random people who worked on the game during alpha/beta?

I know Vivendi wasn't doing all that great, but this is really the first I've heard that Blizzard came close to "sinking" as a result of WoW's development. You'd think there would at least be a write up somewhere about this topic, but Google is turning up nothing for me.

Why is everyone so quick to say the game and this model will flop?

People fucking love Skyrim and the preceding games. ESO has the unique characteristic of being an online extension of a well known and loved series. Yes SWTOR was in the same boat, but lets be honest the game was and still is a piece of shit. Bethesda is by leaps and bounds a better studio than EA and we can be safe to assume they'll make a good game with the 200 mill.

Except what we've seen is that long terms MMOs go F2P that are not WoW.

And? It bring in money and can make a game profitable, that's all that matters. People love to claim failure on countless games but their transition to f2p turned things around, they are operating and making money for years.

MMO is long term investment, it doesn't matter if they switch from subs to f2p, all that matters is that the company gets a constant revenue stream for years to come.

Jawmuncher

Given the amount of marketing EA put into Star Wars, unless Elder Scrolls exceeds that and truly brings something new to the table. I see us with a 200 million dollar F2P title by 2015.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

People fucking love Skyrim and the preceding games. ESO has the unique characteristic of being an online extension of a well known and loved series. Yes SWTOR was in the same boat, but lets be honest the game was and still is a piece of shit. Bethesda is by leaps and bounds a better studio than EA and we can be safe to assume they'll make a good game with the 200 mill.

1. Bethesda is not developing this game.

2. This is not an online extension of a well known and loved series except in name.

3. People fucking love Skyrim because it was a good game.

If you had seen this game in action, you would know immediately that it's going to be a flop. Hell, even if you hadn't seen it in action, you should know from the complete lack of hype that isn't paid for.

Cliff Bleszinski and random people who worked on the game during alpha/beta?

I know Vivendi wasn't doing all that great, but this is really the first I've heard that Blizzard came close to "sinking" as a result of WoW's development. You'd think there would at least be a write up somewhere about this topic, but Google is turning up nothing for me.

They ain't random anyone, they're the ones who made the game. The only one I remember (and there are several) was an interview Brad Shoemaker did a few years back with 3 guys who are now spared out thru the industry; they specifically mention money (or lack thereof) being a major factor as to WoW releasing holiday 2004. It should be on GB somewhere, and the various other WoW veteran interviews mention it as well, but I can't for the life remember the specifics of the rest. Really though, at this point they'd all have to be lying or deluded for it not to be true.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I'm not sure people REALLY want to play Elder Scrolls Online, I personally I have zero interest in an online only ES game.

nynt9

Having been in the closed beta, I can easily understand why there is no open beta of this game 3 months before its release.

Indie MMOs with way smaller budgets look and play better than this.

Hesemonni

Banned
How many SKYRIMS does 200million give you? 4? 5?
Why does this company not understand that their their customer base would be perfectly happy with with TES and Fallout game + expansion packs every three years? Hell, they can even use the same engine for both.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Main reason I would have been interested in this are the interesting design challenges a first person only MMO would have introduced, but since they allow 3rd person they can design it like every other WoW-like MMO and anyone with a zoomed out view will probably have an advantage during PVP, bosses, etc.

BPoole

Damn, I hope Bethesda can recover from this. TESO looks like an absolute disaster akin to SWTOR. They should have just made another Fallout game

Should of been F2P from the start.

It will hit F2P within 6-8 months of release. It's SWTOR all over again only less people are interested in this.

No, a lower monthly fee would have to be necessary to recoup those costs in a timely fashion. $15 a month is too much for a new MMO to enter into and F2P would not earn them the revenue they need.

EA is not a studio. Bethesda is not developing this MMO. People who played the game found out that the only thing they could be safe to assume about it was that it sucked.

Hope springs eternal, though. Like lint.

dtg

Neo Member
I wish there was a small DLC that added 8-16 player co-op to Skyrim. Or a separate game with some changes to it so it could be playable co-op

Top Bottom